What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,316 comments
Nope. I only drink vodka when mixed with soda ("pop", if you will, but I don't drink soda anymore so it's moot. The only reason I even keep vodka in the house is for cooking.

Pop, I will.

Not even a dose of Żubrówka Bison Grass with a European chum on the festive period? I can't think of any thing else vodka might be good for other than Screwdrivers.

Pop, I will.

Not even a dose of Żubrówka Bison Grass with a European chum on the festive period? I can't think of any thing else vodka might be good for other than Screwdrivers.
Not even. I really only consume it when it's part of something cooked, at which point the alcohol has burned off.

I've got a bottle of Ketel One in the freezer and it's perfect for a pie crust straight from the freezer or I'll let the amount I need come to room temperature for a penne alla vodka.

Supper for breakfast - reheated Szechuan Trio from The Emperor, Chinese and Thai restaurant.

I ordered from them for the first time yesterday.
Norwegians typically don't like strong food so everything gets watered down here.
As per usual I ordered extra hot; I love strong food and experience tells me that Norwegian hot = slightly hot.

Next time I'm ordering extra extra extra hot.

Last edited:
Cooked up this wonderful rack today.
20190427_130052.jpg
Loaded with a delicious rub from Marindorfs. Threw it on the bbq for 6 hours cooking somewhere around 180 200°f
20190427_130349.jpg
Let it smoke up and slowly cook, then slathered some Famous Dave's sweet and tangy bbq sauce on one of the half racks. Left the other half unsauced for myself and son.
20190427_175359.jpg 20190427_175949.jpg 20190427_180659.jpg
The taste was on point. However, I should have used my thermal coupler to better monitor the heat, and also paid better attention to the heat. It didn't quite get to falling off the bone and I think it's because I let the temp get to low a couple of times. Regardless the end result was still moist. Which I'll take over dry any day.
We paired it up with some pan fried asparagus, butter and garlic pepper, and some sweet potatoes diced and oven baked in unsalted butter and maple syrup.
20190427_175519.jpg 20190427_175808.jpg
My wife paired her meal with sangria and I with my favorite beer, Dirty Bastard.
20190427_180752.jpg 20190427_180929.jpg
And of course, for my meats, I used my two other favorites, Founder's Blis Blast and Famous Dave's Devil Spit. I prefer dipping my ribs.
20190427_180942.jpg
And the finished product.
20190427_181146.jpg
I'm glad I don't suck at cooking.

I'm glad I don't suck at cooking.
I am, too, but you make me sad. My grilling skills are severely lacking. I'm hoping once my patio is done this spring I'll spend more time out there practicing.

Oh, and supper was fajitas again. If you need a picture, just look through the thread. I've posted them enough times already. :lol:

I mean...are we talking grilling or are we talking barbecue? They're absolutely two very different things.

Grilling is a breeze, but my barbecue game is severely lacking. I suppose I take for granted how hilariously easy it is for me to get truly phenomenal barbecue, that I've never been compelled to tackle it myself.

The only thing I’m actually good at cooking is barbecue. I could easily mess up a simple burger in a pan on a stove but give me some coals and I’ll have it cooked to perfection.

I’m having Sprite for breakfast this morning because my liver hurts.

I mean...are we talking grilling or are we talking barbecue? They're absolutely two very different things.

Grilling is a breeze, but my barbecue game is severely lacking. I suppose I take for granted how hilariously easy it is for me to get truly phenomenal barbecue, that I've never been compelled to tackle it myself.
I am good at both, and have wasted a great deal of time learning both. Sous vide is a new tool I've been working on, and once we're moved into our new place I'll be getting a vacuum sealer and trying my hand at dry aging.
The unfortunate thing is, when I cook, I like to experiment with different herbs, spices, and when grilling/bbq, different woods. My wife on the other hand likes things a bit blander. She wasn't raised on quite as broad of a palette as I was. I thus tend to have to make two separate version of a meal or flavor my meal afterwards. Might be why I've gotten so addicted to hot sauce

TB
I am, too, but you make me sad. My grilling skills are severely lacking. I'm hoping once my patio is done this spring I'll spend more time out there practicing.

Oh, and supper was fajitas again. If you need a picture, just look through the thread. I've posted them enough times already. :lol:
My biggest piece of advice, patience is key. Second is heat is the enemy. Time and temp are the most critical aspects of grilling/bbq. it's always better to go slow and low than to try and rush. I take about 10 minutes each side to cook a chuck eye steak medium rare.
Another good piece of advice, rotate your grill grates as you flip your meat so that your placing your meat on a "cold" grate. Grill marks makes your meat cook unevenly, faster where it sits on the grate.

The unfortunate thing is, when I cook, I like to experiment with different herbs, spices, and when grilling/bbq, different woods. My wife on the other hand likes things a bit blander. She wasn't raised on quite as broad of a palette as I was. I thus tend to have to make two separate version of a meal or flavor my meal afterwards. Might be why I've gotten so addicted to hot sauce
I really lucked out there; back when we were dating, Sheila actually ate what she thought was raw snake (I said "raw steak" when she asked what tartare was, but she misheard me). She doesn't do spicy and she doesn't like peas, and large quantities of onion and/or garlic need to be cooked thoroughly to mellow their character, but otherwise I can't do anything too terribly wrong in the kitchen unless I just plain do it wrong. And I can usually satisfy my desire for spicy food when I don't have to be concerned about what she's eating, so that's fine.

Time and temp are the most critical aspects of grilling/bbq.
You hit the nail right on the nose with that, and to my mind that's the biggest difference between the two methods; when grilling, it's pretty much about getting what you're cooking to the desired temperature, but barbecue means sustaining pretty precise internal temperatures to break down connective tissue and tenderize long muscle fibers without having things dry out. For the latter I prefer braising.

Edit: I've been wondering...is talking about food and cooking in this thread (rather than sticking to the thread title by posting what you're currently eating) off-topic? Is a dedicated "culinary"* thread warranted?

*Or even "I love Pop-Tarts" or "I can't stand mushy broccoli".

Last edited:

Edit: I've been wondering...is talking about food and cooking in this thread (rather than sticking to the thread title by posting what you're currently eating) off-topic? Is a dedicated "culinary"* thread warranted?

I would say this thread is good for talking about food.

There is recipe thread somewhere that our dearly missed Foolkiller made some time ago to talk about cooking.

A nice little lunch after spending my morning taking apart an old sofa.
20190428_140226.jpg 20190428_140438.jpg
Some roast beast "sliders" slathered in Blis hot sauce, covered with cream cheese and a bit of cheddar (mild, not a fan of sharp). Wish I had bagels, but the buns worked well enough.

I asked the girl to do whatever she wanted.

View attachment 816960
And she made you a sandwich. Damn. We've gotta go to that place sometime so
i can get her number. :lol:

Serious note: I've had so many Chicken Quesaritos from Taco Bell lately, and they never get old. They can't be healthy, but I can't stop getting them when it is convenient timing.

And she made you a sandwich. Damn. We've gotta go to that place sometime so
i can get her number. :lol:

Serious note: I've had so many Chicken Quesaritos from Taco Bell lately, and they never get old. They can't be healthy, but I can't stop getting them when it is convenient timing.
Its gotta be said, while we don't eat out often, and fast food even less, I still enjoy toxic hell, especially after a night of drinking. Love chalupas, double decker tacos and nachos. Wish they would get rid of that chaos sauce and bring back the verde. And chilli cheese burritos .

Last edited:
Hectic morning, so I only just grabbed breakfast in the form of a bacon, egg and cheese [half-]bagel from the commissary at work. Really tasty; lots of additional cracked pepper. Black coffee to go with it.

Back