What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,261 comments
The German way.
:scared:

Scotch egg is too much work
While "too much" is subjective, it's the sort of thing that earns you beaucoup brownie points. The beauty of a Scotch egg over, say, Eggs Benedict (since they both impress to a similar degree), is that it's a series of simple steps to produce a single item instead of several different things coming together at the same time.

Peach custard ice cream with a caramelized peach half, some lime zest, a squirt of juice from said lime and a splash of amaretto. I'm in a happy place right now.

This morning I mixed kefir with 100% raw cacao powder, raisins, coconut flower sugar, powder from this.

Laugh (because there is no meat, dairy involved) all you want but it is super delicious. It tasted so good that I could eat this whole day long. Not gonna do that though.

I interupted my usual fuel of either egg fried rice with pork or Panang curry with rice and pork to eat a spicy Chongqing hotpot, something I haven’t had in a long time.

It was homemade and consisted mainly of different types of pork but there were also a few eggs in there too.

Wonderful...

189DB2D9-50C0-4F73-B3EF-C50F39C4237C.jpeg

Inspired by all the recent egg talk, I made scotch eggs for breakfast.
20190413_113003.jpg

Pay no mind to the pedestrian waffles.
I used Bob Evans's spicy bfast sausage on the egg in the back and sausage from a local meat market on the one in front. I think that sausage may have been off. Guess I'll know in a few hours. I used some prefabbed traditional bread crumbs mixed with a health dose of Italian seasoning.

The result? The egg with the Bob Evans's was amazing! Had the right ratio of egg to meat and was pretty much perfectly cooked took my taste (you all can keep your runny yoke). The second had way to much sausage wrapped around it, and the off taste of the meat made it not so good.
Definitely going to play around more with the breading though. I think I would like something more. The bread crumbs didnt really cover as densely as i would have liked. All said, this is definitely making its way into the breakfast rotation.

View attachment 814122

I used Bob Evans's spicy bfast sausage on the egg in the back and sausage from a local meat market on the one in front. I think that sausage may have been off. Guess I'll know in a few hours. I used some prefabbed traditional bread crumbs mixed with a health dose of Italian seasoning.

The result? The egg with the Bob Evans's was amazing! Had the right ratio of egg to meat and was pretty much perfectly cooked took my taste (you all can keep your runny yoke). The second had way to much sausage wrapped around it, and the off taste of the meat made it not so good.
Definitely going to play around more with the breading though. I think I would like something more. The bread crumbs didnt really cover as densely as i would have liked. All said, this is definitely making its way into the breakfast rotation.

You are my new favourite chef.

View attachment 814122

Here's hoping you don't find out.

;)

How'd you cook them? If I'm doing enough, I'll do a quick fry and then bake to finish, but for just two I keep them in the oil.

You might consider blending some instant mashed potato flakes and working them into (or replacing completely) the bread crumbs. I tried them in their intact flake form and the flavor was great but the texture was off, so I think they need to be finer. I haven't tried it again with that change though.

Here's hoping you don't find out.

;)

How'd you cook them? If I'm doing enough, I'll do a quick fry and then bake to finish, but for just two I keep them in the oil.

You might consider blending some instant mashed potato flakes and working them into (or replacing completely) the bread crumbs. I tried them in their intact flake form and the flavor was great but the texture was off, so I think they need to be finer. I haven't tried it again with that change though.

Aren’t Scotch eggs meant to be wrapped in a sausage type binding?

I always though the perfect Scotch egg was a genuine hard boiled egg with a wrapping of fine sausage meat and an outer layer of bread crumbs...

Now I’m hungry...

Aren’t Scotch eggs meant to be wrapped in a sausage type binding?

I always though the perfect Scotch egg was a genuine hard boiled egg with a wrapping of fine sausage meat and an outer layer of bread crumbs...

Now I’m hungry...
A boiled egg, be it hard or soft (I prefer the runny yolk made possible by the latter, but to each their own), itself floured before being encased in pork sausage meat typically seasoned with warm spices such as nutmeg and cardamom, which is then dredged first in flour, then egg and finally bread crumbs before being cooked.

I omit warm spices as I'm not a fan of them apart from black cardamom and allspice, and instead use ground fennel seed, ground mustard seed and minced green onion tops.

I was curious as to how Rally cooked his. Historically they've been deep-fried, as they're pub fare, but some concerned about negative health implications associated with frying opt to bake them. As I indicated, I'll strictly fry a couple, but if I'm making enough that multiple batches is warranted, I'll fry them all for a shorter period of time and then move them to the oven so that the meat can finish cooking. Baking alone has a tendency to dry the meat out but frying them first locks the moisture in.

A boiled egg, be it hard or soft (I prefer the runny yolk made possible by the latter, but to each their own), itself floured before being encased in pork sausage meat typically seasoned with warm spices such as nutmeg and cardamom, which is then dredged first in flour, then egg and finally bread crumbs before being cooked.

I omit warm spices as I'm not a fan of them apart from black cardamom and allspice, and instead use ground fennel seed, ground mustard seed and minced green onion tops.

I was curious as to how Rally cooked his. Historically they've been deep-fried, as they're pub fare, but some concerned about negative health implications associated with frying opt to bake them. As I indicated, I'll strictly fry a couple, but if I'm making enough that multiple batches is warranted, I'll fry them all for a shorter period of time and then move them to the oven so that the meat can finish cooking. Baking alone has a tendency to dry the meat out but frying them first locks the moisture in.

I feel like you’re well overthinking the humble Scotch egg, but for the sake cultural relevance, I’d imagine if it isn’t deep fried, it isn’t Scottish... ;)

You know, I haven’t had one for about 4 years and now I really want one.

Dutch for Scotch egg = vogelnestje = bird nest

Vogel = bird

Nest = a nest. Nestje is the diminutive of nest.

Just currently supplementing my beer with some awful processed microwave sausages, but my word, they are tasty.

I feel like you’re well overthinking the humble Scotch egg, but for the sake cultural relevance, I’d imagine if it isn’t deep fried, it isn’t Scottish... ;)

You know, I haven’t had one for about 4 years and now I really want one.
:lol:

Maybe I am, but I used to cook for a living and I have a tendency to pay a bit more attention to how things have been executed than others may.

It's one thing to explain the process and another entirely to talk about what indicates proper execution.

Setting aside the doneness of the egg, because that's a matter of preference, proper adhesion of the meat to the egg is something I pay close attention to. Flouring the egg before wrapping the meat around it allows some of the moisture in the meat to grab onto the smooth surface thanks to the absorbent quality of the flour, and if you cradle the halved finished product in your hand, tugging gently at the edges of the meat with your thumbs should cause both the meat and the egg to stretch out slightly and in unison. If the meat separates from the egg, that step was skipped and/or the meat is overcooked which causes excessive shrinkage. If the meat has separated without any force acting on it, it's waaay overcooked. If the meat separates from itself (by crumbling or splitting), the sausage was of low quality with insufficient binding and/or it was overcooked.

:lol:

Maybe I am, but I used to cook for a living and I have a tendency to pay a bit more attention to how things have been executed than others may.

It's one thing to explain the process and another entirely to talk about what indicates proper execution.

Setting aside the doneness of the egg, because that's a matter of preference, proper adhesion of the meat to the egg is something I pay close attention to. Flouring the egg before wrapping the meat around it allows some of the moisture in the meat to grab onto the smooth surface thanks to the absorbent quality of the flour, and if you cradle the halved finished product in your hand, tugging gently at the edges of the meat with your thumbs should cause both the meat and the egg to stretch out slightly and in unison. If the meat separates from the egg, that step was skipped and/or the meat is overcooked which causes excessive shrinkage. If the meat has separated without any force acting on it, it's waaay overcooked. If the meat separates from itself (by crumbling or splitting), the sausage was of low quality with insufficient binding and/or it was overcooked.

Mind. Blown.

I thought it was just a snack for drunk people.

Don't let him get you twisted W3H3, it is. Some people just like to take their culinary science into the rocket realm. I prefer the KISS methodology.
@TexRex I air fried them 360°f for 15 minutes. I'll give flouring the eggs before wrapping a try. As for the breading, I may try out the faux spuds trick. I am going to try Ritz crackers first though. Another idea I have is to use something like Italian sausage and then wrap it with stuffing. My mom makes a really soft and tacky stuffing that gets a pretty good crust when baked. I imagine this would work well for a scotch egg as well.
At your comments, I may also try making the sausage and breading into cups, dump an egg in it and cap it or pinch it closed. My daughter likes runny eggs and that might just work at keeping the yoke gross, I mean soft. And so far, no bad affects coming from that other egg.
Edit. Huh... I wonder how scrambling up some eggs and other various bits and dumping into a sausage cup might work.

Edit. Huh... I wonder how scrambling up some eggs and other various bits and dumping into a sausage cup might work.
Ooooohh...breakfast sausage cup baked off and then filled with scrambled eggs, potatoes, peppers and onions, and then topped with cheese and slid under the broiler for a minute.

Air fryer is a good idea as well. I need to use mine more--I've only done chickpeas to snack on. Nothing else. It's actually been out of the pantry a couple times since Santa got it for himself for Christmas. I think I was swept up by the trend, but so far I've successfully abstained from the Instant Pot of it all.

Ooooohh...breakfast sausage cup baked off and then filled with scrambled eggs, potatoes, peppers and onions, and then topped with cheese and slid under the broiler for a minute.

Air fryer is a good idea as well. I need to use mine more--I've only done chickpeas to snack on. Nothing else. It's actually been out of the pantry a couple times since Santa got it for himself for Christmas. I think I was swept up by the trend, but so far I've successfully abstained from the Instant Pot of it all.
I love our air fryer. You can cook pretty much anything that isn't liquidy like beer battered cod or something similar. Stuff that tends to be naturally greasy, breaded chicken tenders, prepackaged fries, etc, all tend to taste and crisp like they were deep fried, just without the need to dry them on some paper towel. It's very effective at what it does.

Back