Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Edge

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Chrome

Votes: 81 51.3%

• Total voters
I was bored and searched up if GTP had a browser thread and it does! A lot has changed in the browser wars! What do you guys use now? I have a Mac so I'm mostly using Safari

My answer has changed a little in six years:

I primarily use Firefox, frequently use Konqueror and Iceweasel. Within the past year or so I've used lynx, epiphany, and undoubtedly one or two I'm forgetting. I tried Chromium recently, didn't really like it. I'd like to try Chrome but it doesn't support linux (ubuntu and Red Hat yes, linux no).

Chrome still isn't available for my primary linux box. Probably my #2 browser nowadays is Seamonkey, and I occasionally use Midori.

Chrome. I dunno because I usually go with ones that are commonly used and I find Chrome to be the more popular one.

Chromium.

It used to be Opera but that has turned into a social media/news/resource hog.

Chrome has grown a lot since 2012. I remember when Firefox was the go to browser. I actually discovered Firefox here at GTP :dopey:

Last edited:
I usually have a tandem of desktop browsers I use daily. Per a suggestion from our SecretAgentZero, I've been using Vivaldi for a good amount of time now. I also use Firefox. I made the switch from Opera to Vivaldi. While Vivaldi reminds me a lot of Opera before becoming basically a cousin of Google Chrome, Vivaldi is quite effective and useful. I even sometimes like the different colored themes visiting certain sites, such as the black bar with white lettering here on GTPlanet. Besides Vivaldi and Firefox, I sometimes use Microsoft Edge for some quick viewing of material.

For the rest of the line of succession for browsers... Opera is below Firefox, and I only use today's Internet Explorer *for emergencies only*. I had Google Chrome a number of times and eventually decided I was SO done with Chrome. Heck, I'd even go back to Netscape before ever trying Chrome again.

I mostly use the stock Android browsers on Android devices as far as mobile browsing is concerned. I had Opera for Mobile previously, and I MAYBE have dabbled with that Dolphin browser or whatever.

I've used Vivaldi as well. I really like it and am excited to see how they mature in the coming months, years. My only thing with Vivaldi is that it drains my battery fast compared to Safari on my Mac.

Seriously can't pimp out Vivaldi enough. For someone like me with near-OCD levels of organization, the tab stacking feature is fantastic.

Mobile, I'm still using Chrome. Eh, it works.

Seriously can't pimp out Vivaldi enough. For someone like me with near-OCD levels of organization, the tab stacking feature is fantastic.

Mobile, I'm still using Chrome. Eh, it works.

Vivaldi does have a lot of potential 👍
I tend to use Chrome on my iPhone. It has smoother scrolling compared to Safari, where Safari has scrolling pretty much 1:1 with the touch. So instead of a gradual slow down with the scrolling motion, it almost stops where there motion of you finger ends.

Chrome on my desktop because I already have my extensions set up and I love the UI.

It also has an extension to sync browser data and bookmarks with Samsung Internet, which I prefer over every other mobile browser I've tried. Built in ad block is pretty sweet, and I'm able to whitelist certain sites pretty easily compared to a lot of Android ad blockers.

This poll was started in 2006 so maybe it's time for a new one to see how the trend has changed.
Screenshot saved for posterity, poll reset imminent.

2017-05-15 12.42.39.png

I guess open-source versions of some of the browsers listed should count as 'Other'. Currently using Waterfox for desktop browsing and Dolphin for mobile.

Should Edge be added to the poll?
Edge should be added, AOL and Netscape taken out, Opera added
Done. 👍
I guess open-source versions of some of the browsers listed should count as 'Other'. Currently using Waterfox for desktop browsing and Dolphin for mobile.
I'd be all for adding optons but adding every offshoot doesn't sound necessary to me. I'll let the masses speak, though.

Just curious, do you guys sync your browsers between your computer and phone/tablet? Or does this feature not really hold any significance for you?

Back