Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Edge

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Chrome

Votes: 81 51.3%

• Total voters
I use Chrome but kind of interested in trying another... Edge seems to stutter for me so it's pretty well done in my eyes. I've read some pages here and I'm kind of leaning towards trying either Firefox or Vivaldi. How's the security for either of those two??? Chrome does regular updates, do those two get the same treatment?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

I use Chrome but kind of interested in trying another... Edge seems to stutter for me so it's pretty well done in my eyes. I've read some pages here and I'm kind of leaning towards trying either Firefox or Vivaldi. How's the security for either of those two??? Chrome does regular updates, do those two get the same treatment?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Firefox updates every 6 weeks, is open source so you can know what developers have put into the browser, and Firefox is quite trusted when it comes to security and privacy.
Vivaldi runs off Blink (the Chromium Project), which is the same browser engine as Chrome, Opera and other browsers use. That being used by many browsers is updated regularly.

Firefox just doesn't seem as fast as it once was, and Vivaldi is nice for such a young browser, but still has lots of potential to grow.

Last edited:
I'm forced to stick with Firefox for two add-ons: Classic Theme Restorer and NoScript. CTR reverts Firefox to the practical Windows 9x interface it used to offer long ago, plus additional customization, sparing me from the BS of modern UI design and matching my "Classic" style Windows 7 desktop. And I use NoScript as a killswitch for autoplaying videos, sluggish scripts, popups, etc. on a domain-by-domain basis.

Fortunately I haven't had issues with video driver crashes or excessive memory use since disabling hardware acceleration and switching from Adblock Plus to uBlock Origin.

1. Microsoft Internet Explorer Nah
  2. Firefox / Mozilla It's in German on my laptop, too annoying trying to change it to English. I can't stand German text in electronic devices, there are always so many errors and ambiguity. Also the UI seems somehow outdated and out of touch. I actually use this on my phone though, I like it there.
  3. Safari Outback?
  4. Opera On phone. It's pretty bad still use it, actually installed twice.
  5. Edge My default browser, very user-friendly, it never bothers me. Works flawlessly. Is in English on my (German) laptop. 10/10
  6. Other I can't believe I'm the only one liking Edge.
  7. Chrome On my phone. Installed on my laptop. Google owned. I can't stand it at all. Very slow.

2. Firefox / Mozilla It's in German on my laptop, too annoying trying to change it to English. I can't stand German text in electronic devices, there are always so many errors and ambiguity. Also the UI seems somehow outdated and out of touch. I actually use this on my phone though, I like it there.
  3. Safari Outback?
  5. Edge My default browser, very user-friendly, it never bothers me. Works flawlessly. Is in English on my (German) laptop. 10/10
  7. Chrome On my phone. Installed on my laptop. Google owned. I can't stand it at all. Very slow.

You've got them all except Safari I see. Nothing Apple by the sounds of it?

3. Safari Outback?
You've got them all except Safari I see. Nothing Apple by the sounds of it?
Oh haha, that's what it is. I really didn't know I heard it before, but yeah, no apple.

I already found the first iPhone ridiculous. Like, that weighed a ton or so? :P

I did like Apple when they were Macintosh though. :)

Google Chrome. Too invested in Google's ecosystem to move away from it. Though I'm starting to like the Edge browser for laptop use... Chrome chews through battery fast with the particular setup I run.

Oh haha, that's what it is. I really didn't know I heard it before, but yeah, no apple.

I already found the first iPhone ridiculous. Like, that weighed a ton or so? :P

I did like Apple when they were Macintosh though. :)

Apple is still making Macs, still very nice computers.

Google Chrome. Too invested in Google's ecosystem to move away from it. Though I'm starting to like the Edge browser for laptop use... Chrome chews through battery fast with the particular setup I run.

Chrome is just one of those things that just work, Google in general per say. Edge and Safari just integrates into their respective OS' in such a way that can beat out Chrome if you dont mind losing out on some Google-ness

I've thought I'd play around with Firefox again. I used to only use it on Windows, but this time it will be on my Mac and iPhone.

I didn't realize it, but when I was using Vivaldi once, I used that tab stacking feature once while browsing. I know our SecretAgentZero been talking about that feature, and I can really see tab stacking being useful. I would probably reserve it for tabs from the same site. Like for example, viewing my Facebook feed while also viewing somebody's profile or fan page.

I didn't realize it, but when I was using Vivaldi once, I used that tab stacking feature once while browsing. I know our SecretAgentZero been talking about that feature, and I can really see tab stacking being useful. I would probably reserve it for tabs from the same site. Like for example, viewing my Facebook feed while also viewing somebody's profile or fan page.

You should see how bad mine's gotten. I've got stacks for:
-another message board
-Crusader Kings 2 Wiki
-Fire Pro Arena
-PCPartPicker
-GT2 Gameshark stuff, played on a completely legitimate PS1 yesiree :sly:
-Sims stuff

...sad part is that's just in this current session. I've accumulated enough tab stacks I felt the need to spin them off into their own seperate sessions.

So “Firefox Quantum” (v57) drops to their stable channel in just a few hours. Who is going to give it a try and maybe even use Firefox full as their browser again?

I’ve been playing around with the beta 57 for awhile now and I’ve been liking it so far.

So “Firefox Quantum” (v57) drops to their stable channel in just a few hours. Who is going to give it a try and maybe even use Firefox full as their browser again?

I’ve been playing around with the beta 57 for awhile now and I’ve been liking it so far.
Firefox is still my primary browser, and I have also been using Quantum beta and liking it. An overhauled version of the iOS app also just rolled out, it's pretty nice too.

Firefox is still my primary browser, and I have also been using Quantum beta and liking it. An overhauled version of the iOS app also just rolled out, it's pretty nice too.

I’ve been using the iOS app as well. It’s quite nice, but playing around with it, something’s just don’t seem as fluid as Safari still.

Firefox has been my primary browser (on PC, anyway) since pretty much version 1.0. :P

On version 56, one of my construction cameras live feed was a bit jerky (I'm blaming Cat cable length) but after upgrading to 57, it's playing a lot smoother now. That alone is worth it. 👍

It’s not too bad I find. I think if they just used plain flat colours and no gradients, it would have more of a “mature” look to it.

The actual tabs and shapes is what makes it look cartoonish to me. Not so much the colours; I've had no colour complaints so far.

Sort of reminds me of a change between the second and third stage here:

sitcom_char_8984.jpg

Ive always used Firefox, but why has it recently started using so much memory?

I always noticed it wasn't so bad in the past when opening Task Manager to kill a program or whatever and seeing it using a normal amount of ram (around 250k or less).... but now there is like 4 single processes of Firefox in Task Manager, and all of them use about 300k each.

What is it that's behind that?.. people say its tabs and whatnot, but even when opening to Google, it automatically starts 2 Firefox processes and each using about 250k.

Ive always used Firefox, but why has it recently started using so much memory?

I always noticed it wasn't so bad in the past when opening Task Manager to kill a program or whatever and seeing it using a normal amount of ram (around 250k or less).... but now there is like 4 single processes of Firefox in Task Manager, and all of them use about 300k each.

What is it that's behind that?.. people say its tabs and whatnot, but even when opening to Google, it automatically starts 2 Firefox processes and each using about 250k.

Firefox now uses multi processes to improve the overall performance and stability of the browser. It’s a very normal approach to how browsers behave today. If your entire system doesn’t slow down, I wouldn’t be too concerned

Weird, it feels even more sluggish than a year ago, before it started using 4 times the normal memory.... Probably something technical.

For Paypal/Ebay stuff, I use Ubuntu and Firefox on a Core i5 Thinkpad, and it flew' up until about a year ago, now Firefox is a lot slower. Ebay takes ages to search for something and sometimes just returns nothing for some strange reason (as if the search was stopped).. And I keep that laptop pretty tight, it's always updated, no add-ons installed etc... Not terrible all the time, but def acting weird and slower for some odd reason.

I've also noticed add-ons now want access to all the usual private stuff before you agree to installing them..... very Google Play Store like.... it wasn't like that about a year ago either iirc.

Nah mate, I will look into that and try it the next time I have the laptop on.

Also one other strange thing about that laptop is, most times when I turn it on it will restart the router. I dont have a clue how or why its doing that, but it use to happen a lot. No matter how long the router is switched on, once the laptop is booted to Ubuntu and connected to wifi, a few minutes later the router light will go flashing red. This only happens after turning that laptop on lol....oh, and also Youtube is weird now too, I can still hear audio from the last video after clicking on another video, and have to refresh every time click a different video. And it wont auto play either no more- maybe that is something to do with it.

I dont know why, but I just blame it on Firefox. Maybe that is something to do with Ubuntu also.... Been using FF for about 10yrs. it has gotten fatter or something. Maybe Ubuntu has too.

Been using FF for about 10yrs. it has gotten fatter or something.
I think FF 57 (the new one) is probably the fastest FF I've ever used. That's not to say it's not the problem, just that it seems to work very well for me.

Yeah, it is still a great browser. btw them problems I mentioned are only slightly annoying, I can live with them niggles no prob... my previous C2D Thinkpad T400 was great for simple internet on Ubuntu 14 and FF, so I tried to stick with that recipe when I upped to the next gen i5 Thinkpad, but it's all kinda sluggish and a bit disappointing on Ubuntu 16 running FF... and Ubuntu is meant to be well "tailored" to Thinkpads.

However it is pretty fast on my Win 7 desktop, no problems with it, but that is typical of course...., But after noticing the 4-5 extra processes running, that started getting me a bit paranoid about it. Seems like everything is analytics and spy stuff now, and sharing of browsing info to make a buck off of us. That's just the way it is now a day.

TB
I think FF 57 (the new one) is probably the fastest FF I've ever used. That's not to say it's not the problem, just that it seems to work very well for me.

I believe that's what they are calling Firefox Quantum, apparently they have done a massive overhaul for that release. I have yet to update to it but I've heard good things about both the mobile and desktop version.

Liquid
The new Firefox looks cartoonish.

I think they have gone a bit too simple with the logo, now it looks like a flat colour blob. They have caved to the simplification of logos trend which doesn't really work here. The previous one was a happy medium.

Last edited:
Currently using Chrome but thinking of switching to the new Firefox. Just haven't done it yet since I am too lazy to update all my passwords.

Latest Posts

Back