Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Edge

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Chrome

Votes: 81 51.3%

• Total voters
When I have been using Maxthon, it works better using Yahoo! instead of Google. Using Google search results can be hellishly slow with Maxthon, so I started using Yahoo! resources more. I even went and tried to set up links to Yahoo! services more with Maxthon. Maxthon is fast, but not as efficient. So I still have Chrome mostly ahead of Maxthon in my browser depth chart.

I am still using Maxthon; however, I am using Maxthon Portable now. Maxthon Portable runs a bit better and faster for me than the Maxthon PC browser. I am trying to put in as many different accounts and passwords into my portable Maxthon browser unless I find a way to properly migrate my Maxthon main material to my Maxthon Portable browser. Also, I seem to be able to better use things like Google, eBay, and even Maxthon's unique Multi-Search feature with little or no problems.

Maxthon is still far from perfect, so I have to be convinced about a lot of things for it to overtake my primary browser (Vivaldi). I seem to be convinced more about Maxthon Portable at the moment than the main Maxthon browser.

[UPDATE] After having some frustrations with the speed of Maxthon 5, I downloaded the highest version of Maxthon 4. I would like to announce... that Maxthon 4 runs MUCH better and faster than Maxthon 5. Since MX4 is not the latest version, I am reminded on some services and sites that I need to upgrade my browser. But if it means I can use Maxthon nicely instead of having to worry about so much lag, then so be it.

Last edited:
Lately, I have returned to Maxthon 5 on an experimental basis. Maxthon 5 Portable worked quite well for me for a good bit. I then went on to try to work with Maxthon 4. Despite all of this, there was one caveat in my latest browser usage- compatibility.

You see, I run a Windows 10 PC with 64 bits. So what I tried out and what made Maxthon run a bit faster for me was putting Maxthon in Windows 8 compatibility. One thing I noticed was that the program did not overlap my Taskbar either when opening or when it enters some Not Responding state. I also saw Maxthon's Multi Search tool worked faster as well. The difference in using Maxthon 4 and Maxthon 5 is that MX5 (as it's shortened, and no relation with Mazda) can open a new search in a new window instead of having to open a new tab. So I now am using Maxthon 5 with Win8 compatibility.

I am kind of torn between Vivaldi and Maxthon 5 as my primary browser. I have been a bit disappointed with Vivaldi as it sometimes would not respond to right clicks of the menu. So my browser rotation is still mostly with Vivaldi and Maxthon 5 atop my "depth chart." Chrome still remains a solid secondary browser to me. I may attempt to do compatibility with Waterfox to see if it runs faster under different compatibility settings. For now, I have restored hope in using Maxthon 5.

Something motivated me to return to Opera. I found Vivaldi as a solid browser, since Vivaldi was made by a lot of the people who made the original Opera. Today's Opera is not as feature-rich and customizable as older versions of Opera, but it is still a solid browser. So I am fairly pleased returning to Opera. I am sad I can't really choose searching with a specific search engine like I could in Vivaldi or Maxthon.

As for Maxthon? I don't know whether to love or hate it. The biggest problems with Maxthon are its efficiency and its speed. It can be slow and hangs at times. However, I can't leave Maxthon because it has some nifty features that can be pretty helpful when browsing. The Resource Sniffer works about as well as doing the Info deal with Firefox and Waterfox. The ability to freely choose any number of search options with Maxthon's Multi Search is also very nifty. I just wish I could properly stop pages from loading when I request to stop them. Usually, the program feels like it hangs trying to stop loading certain pages. You basically will have to close that tab to stop the loading. It can be a total hassle. I can't entirely love or loathe Maxthon to swing either way on it.

What about Vivaldi? I still like Vivaldi, but I sometimes have gotten disappointed at how the menus sometimes don't work. You have to restart the browser mostly if you want to use Vivaldi again when this happens. It is why I haven't used Vivaldi as much lately. On a weird front, I get Windows 10 notifications when a new version of Vivaldi is available, but it does nothing to automatically load up the updater suite and do the update from there. You basically have to load Vivaldi, check for updates, let the updates load, and then manually close Vivaldi so the program can reload. Weird.

My new sort of rotation of browsers from best to worst is now this: Opera, Chrome, Vivaldi, Maxthon, Waterfox, Edge, and Internet Explorer.

Recently made the switch on my home PC from Chrome to Firefox. Still using Chrome on my phone. At work I use Chrome, but use Firefox occasionally for some things that don't work right on Chrome. (weather radar is one)

On PC I use Firefox as my main browser and on my phone I use Chrome as main browser, might switch to firefox though now that started to use the dark reader plugin.(great plugin if you like your websites dark)

I remember I used to use Pale Moon before it forked Gecko (before it was cool). Dropped it around the time I started noting the developers’ poor attitude to certain things (the main dev is a typically extreme ‘progress resisting’ jerk).

Only browser worth using is Chrome now. Developers 50% of the time of new websites don’t even care for cross browser compatibility anymore (see: Discord), and every browser is trying to copy it anyway. Also Opera/Maxthon are Chinese... Opera is owned by Qihoo, a terrible compnay

I'm still using firefox but while I was browsing GTP, about 10 minutes ago all my extentions stopped working. It seems that Firefox modernized the add-on protocol.

Time to switch to another browser?

I managed to get my add-ons to work again by changing the about:config setup and use Firefox Extended Support Release.

I can't get gmail to work anymore in Firefox. :guilty:

EDIT: got it! Everything is working again. Removed Firefox completely >> windows explorer and in Windows Registry. Reinstalled Firefox and it is working again.

Last edited:
I'm still using firefox but while I was browsing GTP, about 10 minutes ago all my extentions stopped working. It seems that Firefox modernized the add-on protocol.

Time to switch to another browser?

I managed to get my add-ons to work again by changing the about:config setup and use Firefox Extended Support Release.

I can't get gmail to work anymore in Firefox. :guilty:

EDIT: got it! Everything is working again. Removed Firefox completely >> windows explorer and in Windows Registry. Reinstalled Firefox and it is working again.

I just ran into the same problem. I'll be looking into fixing it shortly,

After a quick search for "all firefox extensions disabled" I found this page: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/04/your-firefox-extensions-are-all-disabled-thats-a-bug/ and then this comment from "Samwise Gamgee" a short ways down the list:

Shut down Firefox
Press [Windows Key]+[R] → Type in %APPDATA% > click OK
(C:\Users\***USERNAMEGOESHERE***\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\eknvp9aw.default)
Open extensions.json with Notepad++
Replace all instances of “appDisabled”: true with “appDisabled”: false
Replace all instances of “signedState”:-1 to “signedState”:2
Save and start browser
Disable and re-enable all extensions in about:addons
So I backed the file up, made the changes, and back in business(you can edit the file and save it to another location while the browser is running, just close it before saving/pasting over the real file). Not sure if it will hold or if I'll have to keep copying my edited version when I restart the browser but at least I can use the web now. Hopefully the official fix will come as fast as they say.

Never really liked Mozilla Firefox much, don't care for Edge, and I have been told not to use Internet Explorer anymore. So I use Google Chrome, I really like some of the extensions they have for it and some of them have proven to be invaluable to me. Only thing I really have against Chrome is the scroll wheel on my mouse will stop working at random times when I'm trying to use it and the only way to get it working again is by refreshing the page. Never happens anywhere else, just on Google Chrome.

Last edited:
Strange because after removing every link (that I know of) of Firefox on my computer and reinstalling Firefox and the updated add-ons, everything is still working as it should.

I am actually disappointed Firefox has become so crap of late. That's why I was sad that I finally retired Firefox after some 10-15 years using it as an alternative browser. Firefox was never my primary browser. I remember when Netscape was at its sunset, that Netscape recommended Firefox instead.

I am still mostly using Opera and Google Chrome as part of my browsing rotation. Because of my concerns with Vivaldi, I haven't used it except for when there were updates available for Vivaldi. I mostly use Internet Explorer for testing out HTML code with Bluefish. I also use Bluefish and Internet Explorer mostly for trying to build up my Wordpress home page.

Among my other browsers, I rarely use Waterfox, and I might get rid of Maxthon. A browser I didn't know I downloaded long ago was SeaMonkey. I haven't tried this browser out yet, but I might in the future.

I really recommend you guys give Brave Browser a try. Good on privacy and speed. It’s currently my main browser I use on MacOS.

Some things tend to come back full circle. Relevant to this statement, I've returned to Vivaldi. Maybe I was previously disappointed with some small issues in how Vivaldi handled things or with certain bugs that couldn't be corrected. Either way, I been using Vivaldi more the past few days while mostly giving Opera a break. Vivaldi basically is the old Opera before Opera mostly became its own Chrome-based browser.

Chrome is still the second browser I use in my rotation of browsers. I haven't used Waterfox or Maxthon lately, so that remains unchanged in my (in using baseball speak) starting rotation of browsers. Let's just continue the analogy and say Waterfox and Maxthon are my relief pitchers or bullpen along with Edge and Internet Explorer.

After having my own qualms and indecisions on Maxthon, I finally decided recently to retire it. I felt I could have used Maxthon mostly for light browsing and even grabbing some resources. However, its performance and scope of resources to take advantage of led me to eventually delete it from my PC. There just isn't enough redeeming qualities and performance to make me keep Maxthon. So I decided to get rid of it. I even will delete it from my mobile devices.

I am still using Vivaldi as my main browser and have Chrome as my second-string browser. On the horizon, I am considering test driving SeaMonkey and I may also look into another browser called Brave. I made sure to have downloaded the most recent stable builds of SeaMonkey and Brave as of the time of this post. I have only limited insight on both SeaMonkey and Brave. Once I try out both browsers, I will see how else I plan on enjoying browsing cyberspace with these browsers.

After having my own qualms and indecisions on Maxthon, I finally decided recently to retire it. I felt I could have used Maxthon mostly for light browsing and even grabbing some resources. However, its performance and scope of resources to take advantage of led me to eventually delete it from my PC. There just isn't enough redeeming qualities and performance to make me keep Maxthon. So I decided to get rid of it. I even will delete it from my mobile devices.

I am still using Vivaldi as my main browser and have Chrome as my second-string browser. On the horizon, I am considering test driving SeaMonkey and I may also look into another browser called Brave. I made sure to have downloaded the most recent stable builds of SeaMonkey and Brave as of the time of this post. I have only limited insight on both SeaMonkey and Brave. Once I try out both browsers, I will see how else I plan on enjoying browsing cyberspace with these browsers.
I think you will like Brave. A lot like Chrome, minus all the Google stuff :lol:

Updates on SeaMonkey and Brave...

SeaMonkey
I was unimpressed using SeaMonkey. So I quickly retired it. Only possible quality I liked from it was that it seemed fairly light to operate. Wasn't truly intensive in any such way.

Brave
Brave, meanwhile, I seem very intrigued about. It does feel like Chrome, only it doesn't seem to be resource-hogging. I kind of like the idea of browsing while also having the opportunity to support favorite sites and favorite creators. Brave surely has some appeal to it and seems quite modern.

For now, I am still sticking with my current rotation of browsers, but it could be possible I may change up this rotation if I end up liking Brave more than I do Chrome.

Brave does seem pretty stable. Chrome felt a bit too resource-hogging, but Brave is quite a bit lighter. I also feel a little intrigued of Brave because of its BAT (Basic Attention Token) cryptocurrency. So this Brave browser is pretty fun, I must admit. Vivaldi is still my primary browser.

[OMISSION] I was going to praise Brave for being better at handling YouTube on my PC, but it's the same. There is still the issue of screen tearing when viewing videos in Brave as there is in Chrome. I get skittish about screen tearing because there is the possibility that the screen will completely turn my monitor's screen blank to where I have no choice but to restart the computer to correct it. Brave is still a very fine and modern browser. I am curious as to how it will function on mobile devices, as I recently installed the Brave browser one one of my Android devices.

Last edited:
At home with Windows 10 I mainly use Firefox. But I also use Chrome for a lot of things because they just run smoother with Chrome plus I've had a problem with Firefox not showing things like online forms. There will be the blank spaces but they won't be labeled or hitting submit will show the little wheel circulating but it never sends.

I tried to buy a concert ticket last week but I kept getting an error message on Firefox that this could not be completed on this device. Tried it on Chrome and it went through with no problems.

On Android TV, I came across a browser called Puffin TV after looking up one site ranking the best web browsers for Android TV. The reason why I chose Puffin TV is because it is the one that was top rated. I also chose this browser primarily to view certain websites on my Android set top box, especially YouTube. This allows me to view YouTube videos as well as participate in YouTube chats. I use a leftover wired USB keyboard and a leftover wired USB mouse on my Xiaomi Mi Box S to operate the Puffin TV browser. The browser works fairly well. Only weird thing is that with using the Android TV remote and a secondhand mouse, you have two mouse cursors on screen. So I have to put aside the TV remote cursor's mouse so I don't confuse it for the wired USB mouse's cursor. You do need the TV remote, though, for going back and forth from exiting out of pages and even going back to the Puffin TV start page. Puffin TV browser is all worth a try if you have an Android TV setup like mine.

As for desktop browsing, I still am enjoying Brave Browser, as it still works a bit better with most things than Chrome. While I have been playing around with the BAT crytocurrency thing, I feel that isn't really going to take me anywhere as far as browsing and cryptocurrency goes. Brave is almost basically a better Chrome. Vivaldi, though, remains my primary browser.

Back