WRC 4 - October 2013

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 441 comments
Well guys... thanks for your opinions. I read a review or two again. Checked out several gameplay vids. I'm just not impressed.. the physics seem OK, the graphics are not impressive at all (reminds me of Race Pro on the X360) and the sound... well, it does the job I suppose but it certainly doesn't have the same level of thrill as you would expect from Dirt 3 or an actual rally race on TV.

Looks like I'll be skipping this.. I've already wasted cash on games that are collecting dust: Grid II, GA, F1 2011, SBK, Shift 2 etc.

I suppose I'll just stick to my oh so precious FM4 and Dirt 3 for now! :lol:

The physics can be improved if you stick the dampers as hard as they can on all surfaces, with default setups the cars seem to pivot and roll far too slowly, giving them the illusion of being heavy and floaty. If you could pick it up cheap I'd recommend it, although I run RBR as well on my crappy PC, (a Dell office PC with a cheap graphics card) with no problems. You can probably get both for ~£20, otherwise I agree with everyone else's sentiments, WRC4 is not bad (7/10), but RBR is great (9/10)

I think it's better I wait for a proper rally game. I've already wasted far too much on racing games I don't play.. FM4 and Dirt 3 are literally the only titles not collecting dust (also FM3, as I play it now and then).

I think it's better I wait for a proper rally game. I've already wasted far too much on racing games I don't play.. FM4 and Dirt 3 are literally the only titles not collecting dust (also FM3, as I play it now and then).
Well, the WRC games are already proper rally games, just maybe not to your taste...that's all.

The PS3 games are proper rally games (IMHO) either buy it or don't we've given you lots to think about to make your choice already lol. @doyley101 yeah that 3DS game was mentioned in a link I found too, but I am thoroughly dis-interested in anything non PS3/4 (XB360/XB1) lol.

By a proper rally game, I meant at least up to Forza's caliber in terms of audio, physics and graphics. I find Dirt 3 far more engaging and exciting.

By a proper rally game, I meant at least up to Forza's caliber in terms of audio, physics and graphics. I find Dirt 3 far more engaging and exciting.
Actually, from what I've heard, the physics is easily on a par with Forza. Like I said earlier though, I cannot compare directly.

Essentially, like Ipswich says - you asked, got the info but appear to be turning both the WRC games and RBR down as not valid rally experiences because of sounds, looks and 'excitement'. That is fair enough, being your choice and all - but I assure you, those games mentioned here are the most true rally experiences available...which is what you were initially asking about.

Where does it say I turned down RBR??? Where? Please point that out. I would urge you not to derail this thread towards negativity in any way; you passed on your opinion, well and good. Just because you and others were generous enough to pass on their opinions does not mean I HAVE to get the game. I can still criticize and/or scrutinize it in any way I want to.

Whether I decide to buy it or not, is entirely my business, and no one including you should get offended by that.

I don't have a PS2.. you think I'm actually going to go out and buy a used ancient console just to experience one rally game?

Sound to me is extremely important.. if a driving game does not do sound properly, that makes the experience almost completely s*** for me. Physics and graphics alone do not make a game or sim enjoyable. Good sound adds to the immersion and shelf life.

The RBR sounds are certainly good on PC, and if your worrying that your PC can't run it, I get 60+fps on full graphics with a cheap old Dell office PC and a graphics card that was £50 4 years ago. (Basically you could run it on MS DOS ;))
Having said that the sounds on WRC4 are also pretty good, however the cockpit engine sounds are quite synthesised although the external sounds are much better, it seems to have a much less 'organic' sound to it than RBR.
They both run rings around GT though.

Appreciate the input. I'm patiently waiting for Dirt 4 to come out. On one hand Codies did say it's going to be more rally-oriented this time around, minus all the dude/bro gymkhana retardation.

Probably won't be a sim though, which is OK. Although i would love to see a developer bring out a GOOD rally sim on consoles.. a sim that can at least stay head to head with Forza/GT in terms of tuning, physics, audio, visuals and realism. <--- You can minus GT from that in terms of audio. :D

Appreciate the input. I'm patiently waiting for Dirt 4 to come out. On one hand Codies did say it's going to be more rally-oriented this time around, minus all the dude/bro gymkhana retardation.

Probably won't be a sim though, which is OK. Although i would love to see a developer bring out a GOOD rally sim on consoles.. a sim that can at least stay head to head with Forza/GT in terms of tuning, physics, audio, visuals and realism. <--- You can minus GT from that in terms of audio. :D

Codemasters said DIRT 3 was aimed more towards rally and look how that turned out, don't expect too much.
I hope they prove me wrong tho.

I think they got enough bad reactions from Dirt Showdown to understand why the dude/bro gymkhana rubbish has no place in a rally game. Codies usually learn from their mistakes.

So yeah, here's hoping Dirt 4 gets a little closer to its Colin McRae roots.

Where does it say I turned down RBR??? Where? Please point that out. I would urge you not to derail this thread towards negativity in any way; you passed on your opinion, well and good. Just because you and others were generous enough to pass on their opinions does not mean I HAVE to get the game. I can still criticize and/or scrutinize it in any way I want to.

Whether I decide to buy it or not, is entirely my business, and no one including you should get offended by that.

I don't have a PS2.. you think I'm actually going to go out and buy a used ancient console just to experience one rally game?

Sound to me is extremely important.. if a driving game does not do sound properly, that makes the experience almost completely s*** for me. Physics and graphics alone do not make a game or sim enjoyable. Good sound adds to the immersion and shelf life.
How about you chill out a bit fella...or did you miss this bit?
That is fair enough, being your choice and all...

The RBR assumption was based on your question about needing a PS2 - I wasn't offended just guessed correctly that you wouldn't want to go down that route. Nowhere did I say you should be compelled to buy a PS2 or WRC game, like I said, that is entirely your choice - I did take issue at your implication that they were not real rally games because of the sounds...

Okay, sound is important to you, I understand that - but not everyone shares such a criterion, and it certainly doesn't affect whether or not a game's content is the real deal or not.

^^ Yeah like GT? I suppose you would term GT the real deal (retarded vacuum cleaner sound syndrome) because of how it's marketed?

Hmm, sure. Makes sense.

^^ Yeah like GT? I suppose you would term GT the real deal (retarded vacuum cleaner sound syndrome) because of how it's marketed?

Hmm, sure. Makes sense.
And here we go with the use of that word again...

True, for me GT is the real deal, despite the sounds.

Codemasters said DIRT 3 was aimed more towards rally and look how that turned out, don't expect too much.
I hope they prove me wrong tho.

Just occured to me after re-reading your post: there IS a lot of rally content in D3. Perhaps not in the shape of proper WRC stage events, but aside from the gymkhana stuff, there is LOTS of rallying in the game.

That's the thing see...Dirt 3 to me at least.. looks like a near-current gen game. It is THAT good graphically and the control is VERY good for a game that doesn't take itself seriously as a rally sim at all.

Sound... man... don't even get me started on those. One of the BEST in business today. 👍

My one quibble with DiRT3 is that, if you're using a wheel, there's only 180° rotation, which can sometimes feel quite restrictive and at times unrealistic.

The night and weather variants of the tracks are very good too, I just think adding the gymkhana into the career detracted from the rally focus with D3.

Then there's the ram-everything nutters online that CM didn't really bother about. I played hardcore trailblazer and rally stages online for as long as it lasted - too few people played that though.

My one quibble with DiRT3 is that, if you're using a wheel, there's only 180° rotation, which can sometimes feel quite restrictive and at times unrealistic.

Rally cars and all race/track modded cars have wheels that do not go past 180 degs IRL. With some, the wheel goes just past 90 degs, but it's usually 180 deg. Watch a WRC rally race... and see how the front wheels are turning.. the driver does not even have to move the wheel past 180 degs on hairpins.. just to give you an example.

As for wheel use, I wouldn't know how it feels with D3, though I do not like how cars feel on tarmac.. understeer feels funny.. and it seems you can take turns at impossible speeds. AND, you get to see that same turn and pivot model that's evident in other Codies games.

The night and weather variants of the tracks are very good too, I just think adding the gymkhana into the career detracted from the rally focus with D3.

Then there's the ram-everything nutters online that CM didn't really bother about. I played hardcore trailblazer and rally stages online for as long as it lasted - too few people played that though.

I'm not a big fan of Gymkhana. I think it's downright silly. They should make a separate Dirt game dedicated just to that.

Rally cars and all race/track modded cars have wheels that do not go past 180 degs IRL. With some, the wheel goes just past 90 degs, but it's usually 180 deg. Watch a WRC rally race... and see how the front wheels are turning.. the driver does not even have to move the wheel past 180 degs on hairpins.. just to give you an example.

As for wheel use, I wouldn't know how it feels with D3, though I do not like how cars feel on tarmac.. understeer feels funny.. and it seems you can take turns at impossible speeds. AND, you get to see that same turn and pivot model that's evident in other Codies games.

I'm not a big fan of Gymkhana. I think it's downright silly. They should make a separate Dirt game dedicated just to that.

1) Rally cars run 450-540° rotation depending on the rally
2) I meant 180° total. ie: a quarter of a circle (90°) each way

^^ Oh right, I forget degrees of motion need to be accounted for both ways. Hmm, yeah.. that can get annoying I suppose.

As far as the degrees of rotation on rally cars.. I believe it can be adjusted. The guys you see on TV, usually don't move it past 180 degs in either direction, even on very sharp bends and hairpins.

I would argue they often go to at least a half turn or more (360°+) to finish off a slide or to pull out a big save, especially on gravel and snow. Dirt 3 also includes classic rwd cars and Grp B monsters, which require the manhandling that 180° can't give you.

EDIT: Just re-read the post and I didn't see you said 180° EACH WAY, which is 360 in total. In fairness 450° is only an eighth of a wheel turn past 180° each way, so its plausible that they go to 540° for more driveability at other rallies.

Last edited:
Right. Sucks though D3 doesn't give you more freedom of movement. But then again, it's just a casual rally game isn't it? I'm sure some nice changes are on the way with D4.

Just occured to me after re-reading your post: there IS a lot of rally content in D3. Perhaps not in the shape of proper WRC stage events, but aside from the gymkhana stuff, there is LOTS of rallying in the game.

The rally content in DIRT3 is great but it's all lost in the rest of the career mode.

If they put the same effort in but only focused on pure rally it would be amazing! Would be even better of they got the WRC license and had all 13 events events on the calendar.

I love the graphics, love the sound and even enjoy the physics of the DIRT games but the career mode and x games stuff just puts me off and reminds me what codemasters was is capable of doing but just chooses not to.

Absolutely true, with you a 100%. I rarely play D3 to the length I play for instance, F4. I'm not a fan of the career in D3 either. It's awkward. I absolutely love the rally events, but then I have to play those stupid trailblaizer/sprint and gymkhana events. I hate those.

Hopeful D4 will revolve more around pure rallying.

Back