≣PURE | Flyin' Miata Super Cup 6 - Congrats to Champion Spurgy 777!Finished 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,103 comments
Guys I might not make it for the race this Saturday. My PS3 is not powering up I think it's the fan but I am in the process f taking it apart now.

Anyone got an idea what it could be. I power it on the light are green and there is no video then after 5 seconds I get three beeps then it powers down. The fan doesn't sound like it's kicking on and it's overheating causing it to power down.

This issue started while I was practicing and my PS3 Powered down while racing. I've got my disc out and HDD so if I can get another PS3 I'll be fine for Saturday.

Guys I might not make it for the race this Saturday. My PS3 is not powering up I think it's the fan but I am in the process f taking it apart now.

Anyone got an idea what it could be. I power it on the light are green and there is no video then after 5 seconds I get three beeps then it powers down. The fan doesn't sound like it's kicking on and it's overheating causing it to power down.

This issue started while I was practicing and my PS3 Powered down while racing. I've got my disc out and HDD so if I can get another PS3 I'll be fine for Saturday.

What does the led do?
See if it will go into safe mode.
If you don't have a 60gb model you can also test the fan by pulling the video cable, flip the power switch on the back off, hold the eject button while turning it back on. The fans should roar up to 100% power. If yours don't... Your fan suspicion may be in the money.

Last edited:
What does the led do?
See if it will go into safe mode.
If you don't have a 60gb model you can also test the fan by pulling the video cable, flip the power switch on the back off, hold the eject button while turning it back on. The fans should roar up to 100% power. If yours don't... Your fan suspicion may be in the money.

Hey man thanks for that suggestion. I was able to hear the fan kick on to 100% so the fan works. Also its a blinking red light so it is overheating. This is not the first time I have opened my PS3, I did apply Thermal paste to my PS3 back in December and its been pretty quiet until recently. So I'm thinking I may have not applied enough. I am opening it now so we will soon find out.

Hey man thanks for that suggestion. I was able to hear the fan kick on to 100% so the fan works. Also its a blinking red light so it is overheating. This is not the first time I have opened my PS3, I did apply Thermal paste to my PS3 back in December and its been pretty quiet until recently. So I'm thinking I may have not applied enough. I am opening it now so we will soon find out.

"Not enough" statements about thermal paste always makes me nervous. It's easier to apply too much. You want a very thin, even layer. It's job is to aid heat transfer between two imperfect surfaces. Not become a third layer of material. It's rare but I did see a burnt AMD chip once because the massive overdo of thermal compound insulated the core from the heat sink.

When in doubt, this is the best written article on the subject I've ever seen.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-sink-heat-spreader,3600-2.html

I'll be sending PM's out tonight to everyone on the registration list as a reminder for tomorrow's races. Attendance dropped significantly after the first event at Silverstone. Irks me when people commit to a series and then just disappear with no warning. :(

As much as I like GP/D, I doubt I'll be able to race this weekend due to Daytona and iRacing and stuff.

Still plan on racing the rest of the season.

I think I'm good for tomorrow night. My great-grandfathers 90th birthday is at my house tomorrow night and I don't know what time things will start happening. So I will be available tomorrow but the race may be at the exactly right time.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow. I've been pretty busy with the WRS and real life so I haven't really been able to post in this thread much.

"Not enough" statements about thermal paste always makes me nervous. It's easier to apply too much. You want a very thin, even layer. It's job is to aid heat transfer between two imperfect surfaces. Not become a third layer of material. It's rare but I did see a burnt AMD chip once because the massive overdo of thermal compound insulated the core from the heat sink.

When in doubt, this is the best written article on the subject I've ever seen.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-sink-heat-spreader,3600-2.html

I'm sorry for the late reply and yeah I opened the PS3 there was plenty of thermal paste maybe a tiny bit too much. I thing there may be something else going on here because i reapplied thermal paste and the same thing. Maybe the heatsink is concave and not applying even pressure I can't tell.

So yeah sadly I'm going to Be missing Nurb GP which is one track I really like this season. I hope I can figure something out for Laguna Seca.

I love tomshardware BTW, love those guys reviews. I never expected ya to be a PC guy :D

Anyone up for some practice / raced? If so I'll open a room in 15 to 20 minutes.

I've opened one already. Come join us:

Hey guys,

I started a public room to practice on Nurburgring GP/D for tomorrows GTPlanet Spec Miata race. Anyone who'd like to drive tonight, stop on by.

Room ID: 1472-4711-0167-3381-6061

This is going on right now.

MX

I finally got my wheel setup today and found my Brands tune works here also.

My WIP setup for the 89:

85 / 85 : Ride height
4.00/3.90 : Springs
2 / 2 : Dampers
1 / 1 : Dampers
3 / 3 : ARB
0 / 0 : Camber
-0.25/0.00 : toe

5 / 4 : Brakes

5 / 25 / 5 : Diff

16% : Ballast

My personal best is a 46.8 on lap 4. Only have broken the 46s twice.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the late reply and yeah I opened the PS3 there was plenty of thermal paste maybe a tiny bit too much. I thing there may be something else going on here because i reapplied thermal paste and the same thing. Maybe the heatsink is concave and not applying even pressure I can't tell.

So yeah sadly I'm going to Be missing Nurb GP which is one track I really like this season. I hope I can figure something out for Laguna Seca.

I love tomshardware BTW, love those guys reviews. I never expected ya to be a PC guy :D

:lol: I went to a top5 tech school and work at a datacenter. I'm what you call an alpha geek.

IIRC @Wardez fixed a similar situation once by putting a penny on the GPU. Just make sure it's older than 1982 since that's when they started making them out of zinc and not copper. Or you can PM him... My PS3's been pretty trouble free so I'm not the expert. I only open it to clean it. ;)

I finally got my wheel setup today and found my Brands tune works here also.

My personal best is a 46.8 on lap 4. Only have broken the 46s twice.

Thanks for sharing that. I hope to be able to give that a try before today's race. It's a much different setup than the one I'm using (softer) but you are 3 seconds per lap faster than me. I doubt it's the tune as much as the driver. But I'll try anything to get a bit closer to the pack.

Thanks for sharing that. I hope to be able to give that a try before today's race. It's a much different setup than the one I'm using (softer) but you are 3 seconds per lap faster than me. I doubt it's the tune as much as the driver. But I'll try anything to get a bit closer to the pack.

I run a soft setup because it really shines in this car, also I can keep on the gas when I hop 2 wheels up on the chicane curbing.

I watched a replay of last nights race and it looks like you are taking a different sector 1 line than I am, here are my lines
GT5_circuit_Nurburgring_GP_D_line.png

The BIG trick to this track is the darker colored road surface has WAY more grip than the gray surface. It seems to simulate a rubbered in line more than most tracks except Spa, like GT5.

Edit:
It really is a small double apex going into sector 2, and shift *just* before or at the beginning of the redline.

Last edited:
I run a soft setup because it really shines in this car, also I can keep on the gas when I hop 2 wheels up on the chicane curbing.

I watched a replay of last nights race and it looks like you are taking a different sector 1 line than I am, here are my lines

The BIG trick to this track is the darker colored road surface has WAY more grip than the gray surface. It seems to simulate a rubbered in line more than most tracks except Spa, like GT5.

Your awesomeness cannot be exaggerated. Thanks for taking the time to give me some tips. Really appreciate it.

Group 1 Room is OPEN

Reminder:

Track boundaries are within the white lines that line the track. Two tires must stay within those boundaries at all times when curbs are not present.

Where rumble strips / curbs are present, two tires must stay on or within them.

This includes the final chicane.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:
Back