1.03 update adds ONLINE ONLY mechanical damage (No further details known.)

  • Thread starter Thread starter fabianw
  • 638 comments
  • 114,710 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I hopped online in my fully tuned Premium S2000 and mechanical damage is in and in full force. Not sure what setting was used but I would be surprised if it wasn't set to maximum.

The type and severity of collisions appear to be fairly realistically modeled in how they affect the performance and handling of the car. I was most impressed with how it affected the force feedback of my wheel. Depending on the type of damage taken the wheel seemed to respond appropriately.

Visual damage kicks in a lot sooner. Graphically it's no better than we've seen before but it does at least appear relative to the location of impact. It still seems restrained.

So far I don't see any gameplay device to discourage online players from wrecking into each other for kicks. I would be shocked and dismayed to find that PD implemented full online damage and not addressed this.

Let's hope they can implement damage in A-Spec and add A-Spec XP to online races soon.
 
What I want to know:

Has AI been updated?
Wheel change for standard cars?
Individual gear ratios?

I checked still cant modify individual ratios :(
 
Complaining is definitely frowned upon, constructive criticism is appreciated and can be discussed. You can guess which is brearing its head in this thread.

Not only are the complaints pointless, needless and unjustified, they're excessive and immature.

I think it's come to a point where I feel like, enough is enough. I'll have to stop coming here if it carries on. Big whoop, I hear you say, i know nobody will care, but i'll care. I've been coming here for a long time, so why should I be pushed out by newbies who can't find the intelligence within themselves to have constructive discussions, versus what we've seen in this thread and countless others.

It depends how you distinguish complaining and constructive criticism. The people who are complaining are arguing that they feel that the game is incomplete, and that it seems sad that PD is making people wait 20-30 minutes for an update. This is, in a way, criticism. For them, GT5 isn't the game you paint to be. Obviously they hold it to a different standard.

Rather than complaining about their complaining, you could ask why they think that way. Push them to argue. If they can't they will eventually stop.
 
I'm glad to see they're on their way towards having mechanical damage in GT life at least.

So far though none of the patches have given me anything since I don't play online and don't plan too for a little while yet. It would be nice to have some of the core problems fixed. Simple ones like being able to modify individual gear ratios seems like a no brainer to me...
 
As can be seen in the online “My Lounge” options for an online race, a new “Mechanical Damage” setting is available for the event with three settings, as described by the scrolling information bar on the bottom of the screen:

* “None” – No mechanical damage.
* “Light” – Mechanical parts can be damaged, but will “automatically be repaired after a short time has passed.”
* “Heavy” – Mechanical damage will be more severe, and can only be repaired by making a pit stop. Damaged parts will be indicated with on-screen icons.
 
We should take time away from complaining and appreciate what we have. We're talking like this game sucks. It doesn't suck. At all. Sure, some things are missing but that's okay. It's still a great game. Appreciate what we have because the developers are putting hours and hours of their lives into the game. I appreciate the game for what it is and what's to come.

Anyone else?

Honestly, if someone who had never played GT5 yet and read this they would be expecting a 4/10 game. Hey, that should be a marketing strategy. Have newcomers read this then play, they will think it passed expectations.
 
There's so much stupid foolishness in this thread that my eyes are actually hurting.

Can't present a valid complaint (or as the core intelligently refers to it as "whining") without someone spouting some inane, irrelevant nonsense along the lines of "Why don't you make the game better then?".

:odd:
 
Unbelievably hard facepalm at you.

Well you can facepalm all you want, but it's true. I CAN download as much as I want so I don't wanna be restricted or have them stop updating and making the game better simply cause YOU can't. Your download issue is your own problem, it shouldn't have to become everybody elses.
 
We can no longer do that. But another update at the end of December will change things.

Oh wow that's crazy. When and why did they take that away?
 
mechanical damage online... this is good. now, hopefully, people won't play bumper cars online and actually race.

thanks PD. 👍

now go back to your hole and get cracking on the other stuff. :D
 
We should take time away from complaining and appreciate what we have. We're talking like this game sucks. It doesn't suck. At all. Sure, some things are missing but that's okay. It's still a great game. Appreciate what we have because the developers are putting hours and hours of their lives into the game. I appreciate the game for what it is and what's to come.

Anyone else?

Well said m8, 👍
 
Oh wow that's crazy. When and why did they take that away?

It's very strange indeed. Not sure why they would copy protect GT5, but it's been this way since launch. But I'm just glad it's going to change very soon.
 
Would anyone like some Cheese with their Whine?
Seriuosly, what is wrong with you people, you moan no matter what!
I guess there is just no pleasing some of you, what is it like to be so misserable and negative all the time?
 
Im not that frustrated with it myself, i just saw the delays as a "can't effing wait" time period. then when it got here i was really happy. I have very little basis for comparison on PD's handeling of the game, i really have only played GT, and when i do play other games (MW2, F1, TOCA) i dont notice anything, nor do i follow it.

I'd compare it to let's say F1 2010 and Codemasters advertising before release that it included classic F1 cars, come release day people only found out when they started playing it that it had none, then over the weeks and months they release patches for the cars one or two at a time. If this was the case I'm sure CM would be slaughtered by everyone for putting out an unfinished game and not delivering what they said they would. In GT5's case too many people just ignore or accept it because it's Gran Turismo and Polyphony Digital and just for those reasons they should be exempt from any critisism.
 
3/4 are useless, whiny, complaining, insulting and/or moaning posts! It's not possible to get any decent info on anything about GT5 and that's really a pity! So please just leave it! We don't need to hear it again and again, we all know the game is not perfect!

1. GT5 not yet released = complaining about the game not being released
2. GT5 released = complaining about the game not being finished
3. GT5 patch 1 = complaining about...
you get the idea and this reminds me of:
someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg
 
I understand that, but at the end of the day we don't know all the details. Sony may have told them they have to get it out RIGHT NOW and you can fix stuff through updates later. If this is true, Kaz may have wanted to wait until spring or whenever to release the game in its entirety. However, we just don't know the full story, so I will take it as its come and be glad they are offering follow up support and listening to fans by getting updates out as they are finished and this is only a couple weeks after the game released.

Hear me out here.

Amar212 is a respected member of this forum. His insights into the development of GT5 with the whole "The Words of the Winds" thread showed he somehow knew a lot, or was in the position that he had a contact that knew a lot. Though he was under a NDA, he shared what he could.

Here

There was a thread for the longest time on the GT5 forum, in which Amar guessed that the date would be March (or May?) 2011. I don't know if he knew anything back then, but I'm just glad we're getting a game, but I can't help but hope that a "full" update, GT5 prologue style (Spec I, II, and III) will be completed by that time. I for the life of me cannot find that thread, but I hope someone can vouch/search the right terms and find a link.

Nonetheless, I'm loving the game. I'm not loving all the nitpicking.
 
Hear me out here.

Amar212 is a respected member of this forum. His insights into the development of GT5 with the whole "The Words of the Winds" thread showed he somehow knew a lot, or was in the position that he had a contact that knew a lot. Though he was under a NDA, he shared what he could.

Here

There was a thread for the longest time on the GT5 forum, in which Amar guessed that the date would be March (or May?) 2011. I don't know if he knew anything back then, but I'm just glad we're getting a game, but I can't help but hope that a "full" update, GT5 prologue style (Spec I, II, and III) will be completed by that time. I for the life of me cannot find that thread, but I hope someone can vouch/search the right terms and find a link.

Nonetheless, I'm loving the game. I'm not loving all the nitpicking.

sounds about right.

I really do think it was a case of Sony forcing this game out before it was ready.

I'm not complaining though. I love it, flaws and all.

I don't mind incremental updates. atleast I have the game in hand.

honestly, 90% is great. best driving experience ever on a console.
 
I wish PD would give more information about their updates. Everything they do seems to be secretive and confusing without any explanations ever given.
 
Hear me out here.

Amar212 is a respected member of this forum. His insights into the development of GT5 with the whole "The Words of the Winds" thread showed he somehow knew a lot, or was in the position that he had a contact that knew a lot. Though he was under a NDA, he shared what he could.

Here

There was a thread for the longest time on the GT5 forum, in which Amar guessed that the date would be March (or May?) 2011. I don't know if he knew anything back then, but I'm just glad we're getting a game, but I can't help but hope that a "full" update, GT5 prologue style (Spec I, II, and III) will be completed by that time. I for the life of me cannot find that thread, but I hope someone can vouch/search the right terms and find a link.

Nonetheless, I'm loving the game. I'm not loving all the nitpicking.
That is exactly what I am talking about. I remember reading that some time ago. I feel like while the game may have been rushed, it was not because PD wanted it out so soon, it was Sony. So they are now trying to get us everything they can. They could have called it a day and moved on, but they aren't. Normally, that would be great customer service as these DLC's have been free. But on here, they are getting blasted.
 
There seem to also be a Sony System Update......ALSO
 
There seem to also be a Sony System Update......ALSO

It's just a security patch and does not add anything as far as functionality is concerned
 
Stop complaining = Stop spamming GTP = GTP has a bad reputation
 
We can no longer do that. But another update at the end of December will change things.

Has this been confirmed?
 
Hey guys, just thought I'd post something strange I encountered (it's my first post, so I understand if you don't believe me). Anyway, I was doing the AMG Driving Academy Special races, and it says that the reward for gold is 41k credits. I ended up getting a silver, and received 50,000c + 9000exp. Maybe they did improve the leveling system? I'm about to do another one, I'll keep you informed.
 
20 bucks says that even though there is damage in, it's unrealistic. (As i haven't gotten on since the update was pushed out)

Hit a wall at 50 MPH and your car should be totalled (killed engine or destroyed suspension). Period. FR? Engine would be shot. MR? Front suspension would be shot to crap and crushed in to make it undrivable. You get the idea. I want to see full-blown damage.

Basically, what i'm asking for is iRacing style damage, which would never happen because SONY would tell PD that "the damage is too realistic" and that car manufacturers probably don't want their cars to get totalled on GT5. :lol:

I'll still have a lot of fun on the game because it shouldn't be the real damage simulator. It should be a driving sim :)
 
So far I don't see any gameplay device to discourage online players from wrecking into each other for kicks. I would be shocked and dismayed to find that PD implemented full online damage and not addressed this.

aaaaand here we go. Seriously, what did you guys think? That PD would implement some sophisticated "who's at fault system" for damage? Guess what? Some smacktard wrecks you, it's going to damage your car as well as his.

So yea. For those who were living under the grandiose illusion that mechanical damage would somehow magically deter people from purposely smashing others, prepare for bitter disappointment. Whereas before they could smash into you and you could at least keep going, now they can smash you and flat knock you out of the race. :)

How's the old saying go? Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.....
 
Never mind, I just realized it adds the bronze and silver rewards together - I feel like a fool:ouch:
 
I hosted a room put the damage to maximum and I must say that was one of the cleanest races I've seen online so far..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back