1.03 update adds ONLINE ONLY mechanical damage (No further details known.)

  • Thread starter Thread starter fabianw
  • 638 comments
  • 114,710 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, the mechanical damage is just amazing!

In a race, you touch an opponent, and bam, your car isnt going straight no more :D

Chris
 
Guys I hate to bust your bubbles but take your car headlong into the barriers at Monza on the first turn and nothing. Not a scratch. I took 3 cars into the barrier with full speed down the straight and no damage whatsoever. However when making the sweeping turn (5th turn I believe) brushing against the guard rail on the right pretty hard gave me damage. Don't know what to tell you guys.
 
hey guys so we can confirm this update wont change A or B spec gt life at ALL and make it harder? Its just for the online mode right?
 
Ok, to sum it up.

The patch included:
- Mec. damage. But currently only online. Not in A or B spec mode or special events.
- You have an option how much much you want mec. damage to inflict you.

They DID NOT fix the Birthday exploit or the savegame files. Now the savegame files should be COPY PROTECTED! But it should also be stored a backup online (like an option to upload before you quit game or pure online saving).
This will prevent people from downloading sick saves with game 100%, all cars and a **** load of money. This is the most fair option for those who want to backup saves.

(Edit: This is my view only. As I have alot of inisght into game design and programing, this is what seems most logical at this point to me.)
So, why not in A or B spec you ask?
Well, that would force them to make the AI cars take mec. damage as well. If they did that, they would also have to alter / re program the AI. They cannot drive like they do now when mec. damage is fully included. And a tweak is simply not enough here. They would have to see you, and each other in order to not bump you off the track, or brake at idiotic places when you are close behind them. Same with B spec, that guy with mec. damage? Now that would be frustrating!
Chances are they are working on that as we speak. And hopefully next patch will include it in A and B spec mode, with a new and better AI.

Why are some people talking about mechanical damage in GT5 like PD just started working on it last week? You're talking about AI cars suffering from it as well, don't you think the developers thought of that years ago when they first entertained the idea of implementing mechanical damage in GT5? Of course they did and it should be a done deal by now.
 
hmm... i just tried it and wow. the damage model is awesome. i will watch out when i drive
 
EDIT:My apologies to the mods in advance if this is taken the wrong way, it is intended to be a constructive post and I began it before you posted in the thread. I only read your posts after it was submitted. I don't think it is unacceptable but please delete it if you think it is.

Wow this is a crazy thread. So much complaining about an incredible update that has exceeded my expectations, I think PD got this one 100% right.

First off many of us had anticipated and even hoped that this mechanical damage update would only be applied to online at first. This is where it was required most so that online races would be a racing simulation and not bumper car racing. Those of us that thought about it for more than half a second realised that applying mechanical damage to A spec races before the AI had been changed would make the game too frustrating. We also realised that if they implemented the updates in stages they could give us the much needed online damage sooner. Will we get A spec damage? I don't know and personally I don't think it is such a big deal, it would be great if we did get it with improved AI.

I keep reading comments about the G25/G27 not being supported. What exactly isn't supported, are you complaining just because the game doesn't include a crappy picture of your wheel. The wheel works, as has been explained countless times if you want to assign features to the buttons you can do so with the DFGT menu, sure some buttons might not do anything yet but it is a PC wheel and we don't know if those are coming. If I was PD I would focus on the most important/requested updates first. The wheel works so it wouldn't be top priority.

Sure I dreamed that GT5 would include the best features of every other title and be better in every way, it isn't. It turned out to be another driving game that is great but not really better with it's own flaws. If PD keep up the updates it will be better, overall it might even end up the best title but chances are that other titles will still trump it in key areas.

Here is what we know.

iRacing is the most realistic racing simulator but it has limited content and people complain about it's subscription scheme.

rFactor has great content and great physics but doesn't compare graphically and people complain about the online experience.

Forza is the reason we are disappointed in GT5. Turn10 beat PD by a year and implemented improvements that we dream were included in the GT series. The modification system, tuning and telemetry in Forza makes GT5's effort look like a joke, the customisation and storefront features are great additions that make the game more of a community experience, give it more depth and allow you to have a more personal experience but many simulation fans are not convinced by other areas of the game and think that certain physics are superior in GT5.

GT5 disappointed us, we expected the world and it didn't deliver. It created a new genre, the most beautiful disappointing game :lol: (that was a joke, hence the lol). The fact is GT5 focused on certain areas and did those great, unfortunately PD underestimated the competition and neglected other areas many fans wanted. For the purpose of this post I will divide physics into 4 areas, basic handling, force feedback, mods/tuning/realistic component modelling, damage. PD got one out of those great but failed with the others, now it has improved damage online and we know that Kaz has promised continued development based on the requests of the GT community.

The point is there are a number of titles available with different strengths, anyone is free to choose one as their favourite and play that or play as many as they want. There is no perfect driving/racing game yet, we know what we have and we know what our other options are and we know that PD has promised a commitment to improve this game according to our requests and so far they have remained true to that promise. It is going to take time to get most of our requests and there may be some we don't get but I think if there are overwhelming complaints even when PD do something good they might think there is no point in continuing and put all their effort into GT6 sooner. This is something that won't make any GT fans happy.

So in my opinion we should be congratulating PD on listening to us and getting this update right so far, let them know we still hope that they work on improving the AI and implement these damage options in other areas of the game as soon as possible. Continue to give constructive feedback about the areas of the game that are disappointing and let them know what we think should be done to improve it. But if we whinge when they do what we ask, if we complain about updates we have told will be coming later in the month not being included in this update even though we were told this update would be for the damage and got what we were promised when we were promised, if all we seem to do is complain all the time no matter what they do I can only see one outcome and it isn't good. Fact is that if this game is too disappointing and you feel that PD can do nothing right it might be time for you to look towards the alternatives. I'm reassured by this update that PD is trying to give us the game we want, I am certain that PD will not improve certain areas I wish they would and other titles will continue to embarrass GT5 in those areas but I believe if PD keep on the current path they are following they are on the way to making this the ultimate driving simulator, that may or may not be what you are looking for.
 
Last edited:
7HO
Wow this is a crazy thread. So much complaining about an incredible update that has exceeded my expectations, I think PD got this one 100% right.
I agree with the vast majority of your post. Great points in it. However I gotta disagree with this. It's great they improved the damage, so refreshing. However, like I posted earlier you can plow your car headlong into the first cement barriers at Monza and wont sustain a scratch. To me that's not 100 percent right. Maybe it's an oversight on that track but it is there.
 
I agree with the vast majority of your post. Great points in it. However I gotta disagree with this. It's great they improved the damage, so refreshing. However, like I posted earlier you can plow your car headlong into the first cement barriers at Monza and wont sustain a scratch. To me that's not 100 percent right. Maybe it's an oversight on that track but it is there.

I stand corrected. The idea is 100% right IMO perhaps the execution isn't and needs refining. I'd like to know how we can report bugs like this, I've encountered a few and read some more here, is there an official channel we can use to report these?
 
7HO
I keep reading comments about the G25/G27 not being supported. What exactly isn't supported, are you complaining just because the game doesn't include a crappy picture of your wheel. The wheel works, as has been explained countless times if you want to assign features to the buttons you can do so with the DFGT menu, sure some buttons might not do anything yet but it is a PC wheel and we don't know if those are coming.

Unless it's been fixed by this patch (which I haven't gotten a chance to test yet) those are exactly the problems G25/27 users have along with a sticky/unreliable second gear shift and a poorly implimented clutch system in which you have to release the throttle fully for the clutch to engage properly. Also the RA function is not accessible using the G25/27 which is a reasonably important part of the game. Basically we are left pretty short handed on the buttons avaiable to cover a lot of functions.

I think it might be best to research the subject a little more before you write off those of us with legitimate issues as just whiners.
 
Looking forward to checking this out.

To me... That lancia looks premium and if I recall it isnt on the game. But I am on my phone, but if the source of the photo is sony then we could be in for some real fun premium cars soon!
 
so i just installed the new fw 3.55 and when i log in to play gt5 it tells me i need to update the software to 1.03. after a few minutes of trying to install i get a message saying that it can't be installed. I tried playing the game without installing 1.03 it keeps logging me off the psn network.
 
I really hoped for mechanical damage offline. I stopped playing when I heard about their plans to add mechanical damage so what a waste of good playing time.

I do see some problems with offline damage though. Wouldn't it be weird to reach level 26 without mechanical damage and all of a sudden the game offers improved realism because of a patched mechanical damage option? It would kind of split the career mode in two unless you decide to start over.

Then we have the AI damage. I don't know how much trouble that would cause for PD but it would surely be a welcome addition. It's so 1998 it to bump the AI out of the way. :(
 
Oh my... [Installing]
I appreciate new patches & stuff but the waiting can get a bit tedious, especially went i want to be playing & not [Installing] :lol:
 
Why are some people talking about mechanical damage in GT5 like PD just started working on it last week? You're talking about AI cars suffering from it as well, don't you think the developers thought of that years ago when they first entertained the idea of implementing mechanical damage in GT5? Of course they did and it should be a done deal by now.

Offcourse, but i dont think they got the AI they wanted out with the game. The AI, amongs other things, seems very rushed and far from finished.

Coding the cars to follow a strict line and overtaking each other on same places at almost every race is easily done in a week or two with a OK team. The fact that they do not see eachother and if you disturb their path, by bumping one, the rest doesnt see that and might smash right into him aswell.

This makes me think they are still working on the AI and we got more of a beta. Until it is finished they wil probably not give out mec. damage in A or B spec, as this would result in some tragic gameplay.
 
Unless it's been fixed by this patch (which I haven't gotten a chance to test yet) those are exactly the problems G25/27 users have along with a sticky/unreliable second gear shift and a poorly implimented clutch system in which you have to release the throttle fully for the clutch to engage properly. Also the RA function is not accessible using the G25/27 which is a reasonably important part of the game. Basically we are left pretty short handed on the buttons avaiable to cover a lot of functions.

I think it might be best to research the subject a little more before you write off those of us with legitimate issues as just whiners.

You can use a control pad plugged into port1 for RA functions, just make sure to wake it up
 
Framerate/Tearing improvements were hinted for this patch. Can anyone confirm ?
 
WHY is mechanical damage still disabled offline?? :(
 
Unless it's been fixed by this patch (which I haven't gotten a chance to test yet) those are exactly the problems G25/27 users have along with a sticky/unreliable second gear shift and a poorly implimented clutch system in which you have to release the throttle fully for the clutch to engage properly. Also the RA function is not accessible using the G25/27 which is a reasonably important part of the game. Basically we are left pretty short handed on the buttons avaiable to cover a lot of functions.

I think it might be best to research the subject a little more before you write off those of us with legitimate issues as just whiners.


I'm not writing G27 owners off as whiners. I am saying the wheel works, some features are not supported, I support you guys requesting a patch that improves your experience but do you really think that the G25/G27 should be the first priority before any other update and is it really necessary to complain in this thread when this update did what was promised when it was promised?

I have read a number of complaint posts of those wheels in various threads and a great deal of them have complained that you are unable to assign certain features with those wheels, even though it is always pointed out you can other people often complain about the same thing shortly after. You have a legitimate request but some people make it seem like the wheels are useless and for the reasons I have mentioned I don't think this is the thread to complain in.
 
Last edited:
got to check out the mechanical damage tonight(before my PS3 decide to YLOD on me! :irked:).

I must say, I was impressed. I was laughing so hard seeing and feeling the car behave the way it did after a crash.

awesome update. 👍

just wish my PS3 was alive so I can enjoy it some more. :ouch: :lol:
 
Also the RA function is not accessible using the G25/27 which is a reasonably important part of the game. Basically we are left pretty short handed on the buttons avaiable to cover a lot of functions.

I think it might be best to research the subject a little more before you write off those of us with legitimate issues as just whiners.

Actually Dev, you can map RA functions to any desired buttons on your G25/27 - I use G25 so I did it - and sacrifice some functions in order to have it.

I get rid of the horn and wipers and voila - I have 100% functional RA adjustments.

The fact that Logitech didn't want to allow upgrade of their bios-library in order to allow re-mapping 4-additional G27 buttons to be recognized by PS3 is a story in Logitech yard - not PD's.

Although I agree about clutch needed to be made more analogue. It iwll be interested to see what will new Thrustmaster bring in that area.
 
Actually Dev, you can map RA functions to any desired buttons on your G25/27 - I use G25 so I did it - and sacrifice some functions in order to have it.

I get rid of the horn and wipers and voila - I have 100% functional RA adjustments.

The fact that Logitech didn't want to allow upgrade of their bios-library in order to allow re-mapping 4-additional G27 buttons to be recognized by PS3 is a story in Logitech yard - not PD's.

Although I agree about clutch needed to be made more analogue. It iwll be interested to see what will new Thrustmaster bring in that area.

I mapped my RA to one of the black buttons and it didn't work... I saw in another G25/27 thread someone else said it didn't work for them either so had to use the controller in port 1 (which I have an IR remote dongle in USB which always takes port 1 so I ahve to change it every time I turn on my PS3).

Which button do you have RA assigned to? I would happily retract RA not working on the G27 (although that does nothing to alleviate the fact we are still short on buttons for a game with a lot of features to control) if it did, I just havne't gotten it to and saw someone else with the same problem.

As for the mapping extra buttons, didn't they all work in GT5P? I didn't have RA to map in GT5P so the issue never came up for me but I am pretty sure it was reported as working in GT5P which would mean it's not a logitech driver issue.
 
I mapped Master RA menu to R3 (last red button on H-shift console) and RA Adjust functions to D-Pad.

Up/Down for RA Adjust type setting.
Left/Right for performing adjustments.

I use L2/R2 for looking left-right and L3 for looking back.

I use that mapping since the first days od Prologue, so they just become natural to me.

With exclusion of triangle for Reverse, you have 3 function (black "PS buttons") buttons to configure as you like. I used X for Ghost, Square for High Beams (although I do not use it actually) and Circle remained Handbrake although I do not use it too (but can be remapped to anything).

Here is the G25 mapping guide, G27's are the same because all additional buttons on the wheel (red ones) are communicating with the console as single L2/R2:

G25ButtonMap-1.jpg


Oh, and you have to configure G25/G27 through Driving Force Pro menu.
 
Yet those four buttons are 100% functional on F1 2010 for the PS3, so I can't see that being the reason for them not to work.
 
Which button do you have RA assigned to? I would happily retract RA not working on the G27 (although that does nothing to alleviate the fact we are still short on buttons for a game with a lot of features to control) if it did, I just havne't gotten it to and saw someone else with the same problem.

.

I have mine mapped to the black button in position X on my G25. Then I have the D-pad mapped to RA select Up/Down and RA select Left/Right.

I remember reading back when I got my G25 that if a game doesn't officially support the G25, then it defaults to being recognized as a Driving Force Pro wheel. So in the menu of GT5, to change the button mapping you use the DFP Player 1 settings to do so. Mine works fine, for both GT5P and GT5

Anyway, about the patch, I'm glad this has been implemented for online play and that GTTV works better now. I tried porting the GT5 Intro to my PSP just to give it a go and it spent a while converting and then transferring data, it finished but nothing was on my PSP. Hopefully all is good now. I hope they bring the damage across offline play as well, but all in good time eh? :D
 
Last edited:
I am in no way blind to the various bugs, glitches, omissions, foibles, and frustrations in GT5, HOWEVER: we've had 3 updates in 2 weeks that improved on some of those problems, I would call that progress!
GT has never been a game that one plays for a week and is done with it. GT has always and will always be a long-term project, so come on, show a little patience and I am sure you will be made happy.
But then again, i think the game could do a strip and lap-dance and some people would still not be satisfied.
 
Offcourse, but i dont think they got the AI they wanted out with the game. The AI, amongs other things, seems very rushed and far from finished.

Coding the cars to follow a strict line and overtaking each other on same places at almost every race is easily done in a week or two with a OK team. The fact that they do not see eachother and if you disturb their path, by bumping one, the rest doesnt see that and might smash right into him aswell.

This makes me think they are still working on the AI and we got more of a beta. Until it is finished they wil probably not give out mec. damage in A or B spec, as this would result in some tragic gameplay.

You're spot on about the AI, it actually seems unbelievable when you think that after all these years PD would have got it to an acceptable level. I mean Codemasters put together F1 2010 together in 2 years or less and while it's not totally perfect, the AI cars know where you are, avoid you if you spin or slow down, fight back for their place after you've overtaken them and actually race against each other. But that's another story.

Everything just feels half finished about GT5, even it's patches are half finished and it's getting to the point where I, and I suspect a lot of other GT fans are losing confidence in PD and their ability to deliver on their promises.
 
Altough it is very nice to have mechanical damage, I wouldnt say that it is that very impressive. It basicly looks like there are 5 points that can be damage. The wheel and engine. Havnt tried yet if a rear enginge car would take damage to the motor if doing a front collision.

While this is nice, I would like to have damage to gearbox also. Nothing happens if I go 200km/h and shift down to first gear. Brake fade is something also that I would love to have in. And that is something that doesnt seem to hard to implement.

Still, glad that they updated it with mechanical damage. Activiating it in A-Spec, B-Spec is needed also I think
 
Although I agree about clutch needed to be made more analogue. It iwll be interested to see what will new Thrustmaster bring in that area.

My problem with that is they really need to support the wheels that are in the wild now. I have the Fanatec wheel and we're experiencing the same on/off switch performance of the clutch as the G27 guys. I feel like I'm some kinda doofus when shifting the way it is now. I stick with the paddle shifters.
 
I mapped Master RA menu to R3 (last red button on H-shift console) and RA Adjust functions to D-Pad.

Up/Down for RA Adjust type setting.
Left/Right for performing adjustments.

I use L2/R2 for looking left-right and L3 for looking back.

I use that mapping since the first days od Prologue, so they just become natural to me.

With exclusion of triangle for Reverse, you have 3 function (black "PS buttons") buttons to configure as you like. I used X for Ghost, Square for High Beams (although I do not use it actually) and Circle remained Handbrake although I do not use it too (but can be remapped to anything).

Here is the G25 mapping guide, G27's are the same because all additional buttons on the wheel (red ones) are communicating with the console as single L2/R2:

G25ButtonMap-1.jpg


Oh, and you have to configure G25/G27 through Driving Force Pro menu.

I am sorry but I just tried and adjusting DFP menu did not allow me RA settings.

My test, RA Menu on Square, setting+- triangle/x and I put change view on both L3, R3 and select.

In game the black buttons do nothing, no RA menu. R3 and L3 do not change my view but the Select button does. I am quite sure L3 and R3 have wrked in other games so it's not a logitech driver/bios issue. I know I am adjusting the right setting in menus for DFP because my other buttong changes work. I can als confirm you are incorrect that the 4 buttons on the wheel communicate as R2 and L2 (at least for GT5) I jsut tested them and the top ones are indeed R2 and L2 but the bottom 4 do nothing at all. As it stands, the bottom 4 buttons and L3 and R3 simply do not work at all in GT5.

Perhaps this is a G25 vs G27 issue as I have a G27? If so I apologize I should not have spoken on behalf of both G25 and G27. I know that despite looking much the same, the G27 and 25 shifter assemblies are not interchangeable due to a firmware difference (oddly) so it's entirely possible they work much differently than would be expected.

I think we may be going off topic for this thread, can you possibly pop in here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136430&highlight=controller+ra+function and see if you can offer some insite?

For now though I have to stick with my original statement: there are legitimate concerns (at least for G27 users) with missing functionality and buttons that don't work with GT5 that do in other games. It has nothing to do with the fact that my wheel is not pictured in the setups or anything of that sort.

EDIT according to a mod at logitech forums the buttons are not controlled by logitech, they are controlled by the game (which explains why some buttons worked for G27 in GT5P but not GT5). The wheel works less than it did in GT5P which is, I think, I reasonable gripe.
 
Last edited:
Holy Crap hit the first curve at Monaco in the wall at like 30 mph and now my wheel is shaking like crap!!!!!!!! Killlleeeeeerrrr


now the little car where the tires are is showing a glowing red engine with a red ring flashing on my left front tire.


OnLine? Arcade Mode? Career Mode?
Thanks!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back