2014 NASCAR Thread

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 9,025 comments
Jeff Burton has signed with MWR to run part time in the #66 Toyota.

That's true. In the races I've gone to, I find I'm not watching the leaders a lot. I'll scan the field and seek out what looks interesting. Problem is that you're right, the TV coverage is all about the leaders because most people don't care about the five-car battle for 17th, they only want to know who's winning. Everyone loves the winner, up to the arbitrary moment they win too much.

One major reason nascar fails weekly! Other series will go back and forth to action vs leader which is nice.

Welp, the guy who produced TNT's coverage of NASCAR is now heading NBC's production of NASCAR. God have mercy on our souls come 2015.

Welp, the guy who produced TNT's coverage of NASCAR is now heading NBC's production of NASCAR. God have mercy on our souls come 2015.

Don't worry fans, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy is coming by the end of the decade for NASCAR if they keep this 🤬 up! And by this 🤬 I mean sub-par television coverage, dismal on-track action, manipulation of races, rules made up on the fly, etc.

Don't worry fans, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy is coming by the end of the decade for NASCAR if they keep this 🤬 up! And by this 🤬 I mean sub-par television coverage, dismal on-track action, manipulation of races, rules made up on the fly, etc.

I did wonder about that long yellow that helped Dillon and hurt Hornish. Was there any protest or complaint?

Traditionally, NASCAR has been more concerned with "the show" and commercial viability than with issues like sportsmanship and equalized competition. Nowadays, the inclusion of women, Hispanics, blacks and foreigners demonstrates that their horizons have widened for sensible reasons. On the other hand, NASCAR is finally an institution which reflects the values of the larger society. So this means there will be a certain amount of cronyism, nepotism and corruption. NASCAR epitomizes, for better or worse, what we in the Western, neoliberal capitalist world would lionize as "Freedom" and "Success".:rolleyes:

Last edited:

If IndyCar can last as long as it has, NASCAR will be fine for a long long time.

juniormain2.jpg.main.png

Wow the hate is strong in you, it's a wonder how many racing serious survived especially the biggest artificial racing group and that being F1.

It really is a shame about NBC getting the TNT guy, because I think Burton is going to be an amazing analyst regardless.

Childress to announce 2014 plans: Richard Childress Racing has scheduled an announcement for their 2014 plans on the afternoon of Wednesday, December 11 at the RCR facilites in Welcome, NC. It is expected that they will announce Austin Dillon's move to Sprint Cup and the return of the #3 Chevy.(12-4-2013)

Guessing the scheme will even be the one that was leaked, making this the worst kept secret in NASCAR history.

Hello Swan Racing.

While I love that they are stepping up their game to a 2-car program, I'm not sure their driver selection is the best. Cole and Parker are good drivers, but a veteran probably would have been better than two young drivers with little experience to offer.

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if 53 ends up being the number of the car as Bill Romanowski is part owner of the team and wore the #53 throughout his career.

Rick Allen has just been announced as lead announcer for NBC's coverage starting in 2015.

Now they just need the expert crew chief role filled. 2/3 so far sounds great.

Brian France, NASCAR chairman and CEO, addressed the media prior to the NASCAR NMPA Myers Brothers Awards Luncheon calling the just-concluded season "a good year." France pronounced the roll-out of the Gen-6 Chevrolet SS, Ford Fusion and Toyota Camry successful. The premier series' three manufacturers were named joint recipients of the 2013 Buddy Shuman Award for their role in creating race cars styled to better connect the sport with the pride of car ownership shared by millions of North American consumers. Credit- Jayski
Hmm....
Also, at the same luncheon, pretty classy of them to award the Myers Brothers award to Tony this year. He does so much for so many people without making a loud noise from it, whether it's running the Tony Stewart Foundation, buying Morgan Shepard tires, even constantly showing up at small tracks around the country (And selling out the joint every single time, which is great for the struggling track owners).

Also from Jayski:
-Iowa Speedway: NASCAR last week announced it had purchased the track, but has no plans to add a Sprint Cup race to Iowa. The track has hosted Nationwide Series and Truck Series races since 2009, and IndyCar also races at the facility. France said NASCAR's ownership gives the track some stability

What? Why the hell not? I guess it doesn't matter if the drivers like the track and it would add some variety into the schedule instead of just another cookie cutter track...:rolleyes:

I see the layout but what are you hinting at? Please tell me not calling it like a cookie cutter since it's based off a bigger Richmond anyway.

Me? HELL NO! I hate that term, it's used by mindless sheeple who assume that same shape=same track, unless it's their local track, then the others a crap and theirs is gold. The point was to show that Iowa could fairly easily be related to the tri-oval tracks I showed.

No, I actually know nothing about Iowa aside from the facts Indycar and non-Cup races are run there, ad NASCAR just save it from an immediate shut down. Looking at it, though, I'm seeing four distinct turns as opposed to the two long ones. Am I wrong on that?

EDIT: No, I'm wrong.

Championship Banquet is going now.

ADDING: My, lots of low blows going on. I love it.:sly:

I can't watch it. :dopey: I purchased one of the most expensive packages that my cable provider offered, just for Fox Sports One.... As it turns out, everything is being broadcasted on Fox Sports 2, which I do not have. :)👍 Good job Fox

Well, now you aren't missing much. The speeches began and entertainment has been spotty since. Jay Mohr hasn't pulled punches, but the drivers are, predictably, boring and sales-like.

All I'm saying is that it isn't another 1.5 mile tri-oval. Due to it's length, it's more of a short track, making for a completely different kind of race than the others. Not to say all the 1.5 tri-ovals (or quad-ovals) run exactly the same, but NASCAR needs to switch it up and have a track that isn't the same basic layout and length. Right now the schedule consists of four 1.5 mile tri-ovals: Chicagoland, Kansas, Kentucky and Las Vegas, and three 1.5 mile quad-ovals: Atlanta, Charlotte and Texas. The number of .75 mile tri-oval/d-shaped ovals is one: Richmond, which most of the drivers love. Why not make it two? At least then the ratio would be 7:2 instead of 7:1.

Me? HELL NO! I hate that term, it's used by mindless sheeple who assume that same shape=same track, unless it's their local track, then the others a crap and theirs is gold. The point was to show that Iowa could fairly easily be related to the tri-oval tracks I showed.

No, I actually know nothing about Iowa aside from the facts Indycar and non-Cup races are run there, ad NASCAR just save it from an immediate shut down. Looking at it, though, I'm seeing four distinct turns as opposed to the two long ones. Am I wrong on that?

EDIT: No, I'm wrong.

It looks like one of the other styles but it's based off Richmond all together from the shape (just longer). It drives alot different than a 1.5 miler and has a different style all too it which is why I like it alot.

All I'm saying is that it isn't another 1.5 mile tri-oval. Due to it's length, it's more of a short track, making for a completely different kind of race than the others. Not to say all the 1.5 tri-ovals (or quad-ovals) run exactly the same, but NASCAR needs to switch it up and have a track that isn't the same basic layout and length. Right now the schedule consists of four 1.5 mile tri-ovals: Chicagoland, Kansas, Kentucky and Las Vegas, and three 1.5 mile quad-ovals: Atlanta, Charlotte and Texas. The number of .75 mile tri-oval/d-shaped ovals is one: Richmond, which most of the drivers love. Why not make it two? At least then the ratio would be 7:2 instead of 7:1.

Richmond is a great track too! There are a few tracks I always enjoy watching regardless of what car is on it Richmond/Iowa fit that combo.

Finch plans to enter a car in Daytona 500: Former #51 Phoenix Racing team owner James Finch told Brad Gillie and Buddy Baker on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio's The Late Shift that he plans to enter a car in the 2014 Daytona 500.(listen at Soundcloud/SiriusXM). Finch will use a car from his old team, Phoenix Racing, now owned by Harry Scott Jr.. No word on a driver or what car number Finch will use.(12-10-2013)
From Jayski
Looks like Mark Martin has a ride for Daytona.

Dammit James! You sold the team and got out, that doesn't mean you can just jump right back in now that you don't own a team. Get out, stay out, how hard is that.

Dammit James! You sold the team and got out, that doesn't mean you can just jump right back in now that you don't own a team. Get out, stay out, how hard is that.

Now if only we could get Bobby Gerherdt to stop messing around.

I did predict that it was just a stunt so that he could get a sponsor to bail him out at the 11th hour, so I was.... right? Kind of?

Back