2014 NASCAR Thread

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 9,025 comments
Now it's official. (And I suspect one of these schemes is going to get backlash from a particular segment of fans)

3dow-cheerios-rcr-twit.jpg
NASCAR posted it on facebook this morning and people are pissed.

I did predict that it was just a stunt so that he could get a sponsor to bail him out at the 11th hour, so I was.... right? Kind of?

He rubs me wrong since he finally one a race, ever since they he seems to think he is someone special. I was thinking Bobby would be the one who is in the #51 for Daytona since he has a champions provisional and Mark doesn't really enjoy plate tracks.

That would make sense. Didn't he have a top 10 at Daytona last year anyway?

As for the 3's schemes, Sr. fans will be pissed, but in time they will either deal or pass. Unfortunately, most of our fears are proven right, yet again, and I'm not speaking of the Dow one.

Just a thought, can bees be set aflame? I'd like to see this one killed with fire.

In regards to Iowa Speedway not having a Sprint Cup race.. It really should be reconsidered (in my totally biased, an hour away from the track point of view)

What I'm really excited about is that this will be the very last year of having to watch the awful coverage of ESPN and TNT for a LONG time :D. In 2015, it will be just NBC and FOX that will cover all of nascar. I hope that NBC uses their F1 commentators as they are much easier to understand and more entertaining than the deep southern accent commentators of the other networks (Darrell Waltrip, Michael Waltrip, Larry McReynolds, Dale Jarrett, Kyle Petty, etc.) (No offense intended).

In regards to Iowa Speedway not having a Sprint Cup race.. It really should be reconsidered (in my totally biased, an hour away from the track point of view)
I'd like the Cup Series to race there as well. The problem with that is it's too dissimilar to other tracks. All they need to do is remove one of the duplicate tracks.

I'm pretty sure if a 1.5 mile high banked track popped up out of nowhere, NASCAR would revise the schedule to add the track in immediately.

What I'm really excited about is that this will be the very last year of having to watch the awful coverage of ESPN and TNT for a LONG time :D. In 2015, it will be just NBC and FOX that will cover all of nascar. I hope that NBC uses their F1 commentators as they are much easier to understand and more entertaining than the deep southern accent commentators of the other networks (Darrell Waltrip, Michael Waltrip, Larry McReynolds, Dale Jarrett, Kyle Petty, etc.) (No offense intended).

NBC already has Rick Allen and Jeff Burton lined up for commentary. I don't think they've announced their 3rd yet. There's just too many conflicts between Indycar and F1 for NBC to use that team for every series.

NASCAR posted it on facebook this morning and people are pissed.

We all saw that coming, hell even the resident absent minded Gordon "fan" that disappears during the between season break could have seen that coming. In all honesty as a massive Sr. fan for almost 10 years before he died, I've moved on, it's just a number there is more to him than that. If people want to cling to a single number, then they better do it for everything.

That would make sense. Didn't he have a top 10 at Daytona last year anyway?

As for the 3's schemes, Sr. fans will be pissed, but in time they will either deal or pass. Unfortunately, most of our fears are proven right, yet again, and I'm not speaking of the Dow one.

Just a thought, can bees be set aflame? I'd like to see this one killed with fire.

Yeah he has done fairly well at the plate tracks.

Those schemes are ugly but not my call nor am I an Austin fan anyway.

Am I the only one that thinks the cars have simply outgrown the track? Same goes for Pocono. When you compare the action from both indycar races at those two in comparison to the two NASCAR races, the overall racing was much better (well wilder too if I'm honest). I really don't see this improving the racing.

I don't see how an apron around the inside of the corners will improve the racing there. The track isn't the issue, it's the cars.

Yeah, Indy wasn't built for stock cars, but open wheelers. I do enjoy watching them race on unfamiliar ground, so-to-speak, but the leaders are usually running away with them at the same time. I think Pocono should have those 100 miles given back to one of the races. The drivers can complain all they want, but I seem to recall those extra miles really screwing things up for some guys time and time again.

Of course, I could be way off base on this.

KINDA NEWS from Jayski: Jeremy Mayfield's formerly $1.3M mansion is to be burned down. Valued at $300K and stripped of anything worth something, the controlled burn will take it off the tax books, helping the new owners, and will be a training exercise for the fire department, I guess in fire control.

I can't say I feel bad for him, but it feels like watching money burn.

Last edited:
Something about Indy and a roadcourse which would make total sense if they're still doing that "superweekend" thing with the USCR series.

Danica: Why wasn't I on TV more last year?
Tony: Probably because you were so far back in the field.
Danica: No, that couldn't be! They probably just couldn't find my car, let's add a bright orange stripe down the middle, that should work.
Tony: The GoDaddy check cleared, so whatever...

Watch Danica win Daytona and we never hear the end of it forever.

If she ever wins a Sprint Cup race, I will shave my head completely bald. :crazy: Will the racing gods (and corporations) please listen to the fans for once and stop sponsoring talentless hacks such as Danica Patrick and give Johanna Long (who somehow doesn't have a ride) a chance? But then again, when you do "nefarious deeds" behind the scenes to get where you are, she'll always have a ride regardless of her results. :yuck:

At this point, talent and ability are now the enemy of marketing. You have to be young, photogenic, and personable, otherwise you're disregarded even if you can drive BETTER than Sebastian Loeb, Sebastian Vettel, and JJ combined. Example: The Dallas Cowboys, the Yankees, Caterham...low blow?

Back