2014 NASCAR Thread

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 9,025 comments
Someone that doesn't hog the spotlight like Jimmie.
Yes, he does, but in a different way. Tony wasn't clean cut, he outright said after Martinsville that he was going to win the championship. Then he kept trash talking after every single race.

Honestly, people complain about Nascar but every year there are back again with the same attitude. I don't watch nearly the amount of races, I go to only a few (mainly trucks) and have jumped shipped for V8 Supercars as my biggest pavement series to watch or some ALMS/Grand-AM.

Its hilarious that you get these people who constantly complain and moan and bitch about it all the time yet they still watch any of it. If you are seriously that disgusted with it, why the hell are you still watching?

Its hilarious that you get these people who constantly complain and moan and bitch about it all the time yet they still watch any of it. If you are seriously that disgusted with it, why the hell are you still watching?
Probably some expectation of "hope and change" occurring while they are watching. Otherwise they're watching to prove their complaints are right.

You mean like certain users right now that have posted on this thread already or did so at the end of last years just to say how glad they didn't follow nascar as much as they have in the past. Yet still did follow...or the users that said they weren't going to watch this season yet are still here following it...

Easy to tell why, because if JJ doesn't win this year they don't want to have missed out

46087d1387495236-2014-ncwts-chevrolet-silverado-1503223_671552072876738_1474372582_n.jpg

46088d1387495236-2014-ncwts-chevrolet-silverado-1459059_671552099543402_132069745_n.jpg

1533728_10202652516494848_984649025_n.jpg

Looks like the old SuperTrucks

So basically, its like I said:

I thinks its not bad. Abit more bulky, but pretty good. Overall (at least going off this so far), it seems the rules are essentially going back to the Super Truck era:

mike_skinner_1997_11_01.jpg

I like that the Chevrolet looks like a truck again compared to what has been raced lately. I just hope it still puts on a good show.

Yes, he does, but in a different way. Tony wasn't clean cut, he outright said after Martinsville that he was going to win the championship. Then he kept trash talking after every single race.
He thinks he's AJ Foyt reincarnated, but he's just a fat baby.

He thinks he's AJ Foyt reincarnated, but he's just a fat baby.

Funny because I just thought he was a loud mouthed fat ass that just thought he was better then everyone :lol:

A fat baby who can single handily bring in ratings. From Jayski, the last 5 years starting with 2009:
ESPN/ABC 10 Race Chase
2009: 2.8 4.5 million ave
2010: 2.7 4.2 million ave
2011: 3.1 4.763 million ave
2012: 2.7 4.494 million ave
2013: 3.5 5,489 million ave
It's going to be interesting to see where the ratings go from here- if Danica and the Gen 6 made a one year jump or if they can hold the viewers.

At least Jr. was still most popular driver in 2013. I'm not very fond of him, but as long as the 27th place "Worse than FRM cars in Hendrick equipment" driver doesn't win it and gain extra attention from the media, it's all good.

OK, get ready to throw something at me because I have a possibly very stupid question.

I've been thinking (a problem) about what NASCAR could do to be more inviting. I've come to the conclusion that no matter what they do in the national series, yes all three, it won't be enough. I think they have to figure out a way to run short events at smaller and more local tracks, or really anywhere that a safe race can be set up legally.

Dumb enough yet, because there's more. NASCAR has their regional series, and to my surprise still run the Weekly Series, though now known as the Whelen All American Series, but these still use purpose built race cars. I think you get where this is going as I'm certain I can hear the heads banging on the desk. I know there are a few modifications that would be required (roll cage, fuel cell, stripped interior, harnesses, other safety equipment) but what if NASCAR created a new Strictly Stock series?

Won't happen because NASCAR wants big tracks and one champion. If you proclaim "Jimmie Johnson is the 2013 National Stock Car champion" or something to that effect, these guys who won the championship in the non-Jimmie series will complain and the reporters who cover them will agree. It's different from Nationwide simply because Nationwide has never been presented as being equal to the Cup series.
There are different weekly racing series of course, but that isn't the Cup series. There's a huge difference.
Honestly, if you ask me, the only way NASCAR or racing in general is going to go back to being the #2 sport in America is to make the sport more accessible to the casual fans. I can go throw a football around with my buddies, but we can't go race Cup cars.
The only driving most people are exposed to is the drive to work in the morning and home at night. They don't understand the skill needed to wheel a car 200 MPH into corners, to them it's hillbillies drinkin moonshine and going around in circles for 4 hours.
And don't think this is just NASCAR, there's a reason road courses don't historically draw much money or TV ratings. If I remember right, last year's IndyCar opener at I believe St. Petersburg only had about 200,000 people watching- compare that to the numbers I posted earlier. Granted that was on the NBC Sports Network, but guess who is covering the Chase after this year...

See, this is all a lot of my thinking, and after reading up some on the AAS, there may be a way. Bear with me.

(Grabs book)

What we know as the Cup series started as Strictly Stock in 49, ran eight events, and proceeded to surpass the Modified series by 1950. The first race was in Charlotte, was sold out at capacity of 10,000, with 5000 rumored to have turned away. Race trim was protective screening, a number on the doors, and tape for the headlights, something I myself have yet to understand. The car starting 2nd was a brand new car that the driver, 2014 HoF inductee Tim Flock, had talked the owner into letting him race it. 200 miles, and one disqualification later, Jim Roper was declared the winner in a bone-stock Lincoln.

(Book closed)

It doesn't have to be a national series, I'm thinking about 8-10 smaller geographical regions, but reviving this idea is what I'm thinking, and in almost every sense. Take those cars you see on the road and put them on the track as close to stock as you can get without killing someone. Engine, transmission, rear-end, even road-legal tires.

Tape is put on the headlights so when they broke, the glass didn't shatter completely out of them.

I doubt a stock series will ever happen again outside of road course racing.

I'd love to see a Stock class return, personally. I'm onboard with @BKGlover.

On another note: Ever since watching the Mudsummer Classic race at Eldora, I got to thinking that NASCAR should bring the Whelen Modified Tour to my local dirt oval like the Eldora race for the trucks.

Tape is put on the headlights so when they broke, the glass didn't shatter completely out of them.

I doubt a stock series will ever happen again outside of road course racing.

I figured, but wasn't sure.

I don't see it happening on an oval that's over a mile, more Bristol, Richmond, Martinsville, possibly Milwaukee, Eldora, the off-shot tracks at facilities like TMS, and definitely road courses and street circuits.

So yes, basically everything NASCAR tries to steer clear of right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it, but the problem is that you need full manufacture support for this, and that's not happening past the Truck level. Even with Trucks there's only like 4-5 teams supported anyway.

Chase Elliott in #9 for JRM backed by NAPA in the Nationwide Series. Couldn't be happier for the guy. He'll be big one day.

You know, the Camaro may be iffy, but that is a good looking car.

@Ganon83 I'm not ignoring you, I'm just working on a rebuttal. I keep coming back to it being more of a "weekend warrior" ordeal as weak as it is.

Easily one of the better livery's so far this year in my opinion. Great opportunity for Chase. 👍

Well what choice did Hornish Jr have?

Also, this issue is never going to change (like most things NASCAR does) so I don't see the point of bringing it up. Its a miracle that they've stopped cup drivers from stealing drivers titles from the regulars.

Back