2014 United Sports Car Championship

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
  • 323,303 views
Are we all focused on mocking each other now? Getting really irritating.

EDIT - @Carlos agree to disagree sounds good to me, don't want this thread to get caught up with petty squabbles.

That's the last thing I want after watching a 24 hour race!

...No he couldn't have, it's called racing they're pushing the cars hard and both had slight oversteer out of the corner go watch the video again, and stop trying to run off memory. That is a very tight area and the racing line runs out toward the outside, the Ferrari could have still passed the Audi on the banking easily so no that wasn't the race winning move. Do you know much of Daytona? They were door to door, it wasn't like the Ferrari was at the rear quarter panel or C-pillar and the R8 was ahead on the outside.

No, I don't know a lot about Daytona but I'm watching this race for a few years now and I'm pretty well known with the circuit layout. (as it is from iRacing) As for the rest, let's stop this. I'll wait for the next race to start a new discussion ;) ;) ;)
 
Jon fogarty@JonFogarty991m
Just showed @MemoGidley the video of his crash. His response... "That's 🤬"

Good to know his personality wasn't harmed in the crash.

I finally saw the replay today. Terrible incident that could have been avoided if the Krohn 458 had moved to the right before Memo went for a pass. He would've probably seen the AF Corse car instead of slamming into it.
It was the 65 GTD Ferrari,not Krohn,and the Ferrari saw the slower car and went right to pass him.The 99 then went left to pass not knowing the 62 was there.If the 99 had taken the far right he would have cleared them both.
 
I finally saw the replay today. Terrible incident that could have been avoided if the Krohn 458 had moved to the right before Memo went for a pass. He would've probably seen the AF Corse car instead of slamming into it.

The green/yellow Scuderia Corsa car had probably gone to the left to let the DP prototype through on the racing line, I'd imagine he was looking in his mirrors and was surprised to see the Risi car going so slowly ahead of him. I think Memo only went left because the Brazil car came to the right to avoid having it's own huge crash.

E- I'm not saying it's the Ferrari's fault because the driver of that left a couple of cars widths on the right for the Corvette, just a painful misunderstanding by Memo.
 
Well Oval racing is different but the cautions then broadcasting and the waiting forever to call a penalty are all issues. Should Ferrari have been penalized sure, is it for the incident they were called on no, it should have been the incident prior. That incident you can see him actually get off the apex just to hip check the Audi.
Right, exactly what should've happened. It shouldn't have been a time either, but a drive through for the contact.

But then we look at 2012 Le Mans and see how the 908 hit the R 18 in the second chicane and never got the penalty, but that's what happened I. Two different leagues. It's the affiliations responsibility to create penalties and issue them accordingly. What the penalty was issued for, was for the result of the contact prior like you say. Had there been no contact, the audi could've drafted around the prototype challenge and held the final lap through infield... That's what people don't see, is that what caused that, the going off the track by the Ferrari and not loosing time from that, and then the tight racing justifies everything in those last final laps..

And hard racing isn't intentional? He didn't ram him into the wall, he bumped him yes but he didn't straight take him out. He only did enough to slow his momentum. I don't see how this has anything to do with today's race since neither car had damage and both cars made it to the line very closely instead of miles apart.

He was in the lead, pulling on the the Ferrari. Clearly going to win. The Ferrari shoved the 911 over one and one-half car lengths to take the win. Hard racing? More like dirty at its most mediocre point... Reckless/careless should be the call

How are the two the same? The Sebring race incurred no penalty. This did. It is what was acceptable from these two races to cause this penalty to be issued. What is hard racing, and what is reckless driving and how do you penalize those..
 
My mistake then. Saw a bright greenish car and thought it was Krohn. Memo probably went left to set himself up for the approaching kink to have the optimum line through.

But... we could also say that the slowed AF Corse car could/should have moved far right on the track.. if there was the opportunity to do so.
 
My mistake then. Saw a bright greenish car and thought it was Krohn. Memo probably went left to set himself up for the approaching kink to have the optimum line through.

But... we could also say that the slowed AF Corse car could/should have moved far right on the track.. if there was the opportunity to do so.

I would've thought the right would be the racing line if the next corner was a left hander. Also worth noting that if cars pull off to the left they can drive through the infield to the paddock, if they stop on the right they're stuck and effectively out. btw AF Corse didn't enter the race it was Risi Competizione (They used to run Krohn's Ferrari's too, not sure if that's still the case though).
 
Right, exactly what should've happened. It shouldn't have been a time either, but a drive through for the contact.

But then we look at 2012 Le Mans and see how the 908 hit the R 18 in the second chicane and never got the penalty, but that's what happened I. Two different leagues. It's the affiliations responsibility to create penalties and issue them accordingly. What the penalty was issued for, was for the result of the contact prior like you say. Had there been no contact, the audi could've drafted around the prototype challenge and held the final lap through infield... That's what people don't see, is that what caused that, the going off the track by the Ferrari and not loosing time from that, and then the tight racing justifies everything in those last final laps..

The phantom 908 of the 2012 Le Mans race, oh the urban legend continues

/sarcasm included.
 
Townsend Bell @TownsendBell99
Sitting in victory lane building. Officials are meeting. All top imsa and nascar personnel.
 
Townsend Bell @TownsendBell99
Sitting in victory lane building. Officials are meeting. All top imsa and nascar personnel.

NASCAR personnel...oh please I don't want to laugh they hardly know how these guys operate hell they hardly know how their sport operates.
 
You lot are acting like there's any difference in personnel. After how this race went down I don't think there is.
 
Before the last 10 minute sprint the Audi was unlucky with an earlier safety car, they were in the class lead and pulling away but the safety car come out just as they were running out of fuel which meant they had to pit when the pitlane was closed which cost them a hell of a lot of track position which they had to fight back through. It was an heroic performance to even catch the Ferrari back up so I have no problems with the Audi being given the win.
 
So Ferrari will rush forward their LMP1 project and give it to an amateur team for Le Mans to just annoy a totally different Audi team?
TnKmstt.gif

29TIGdG.gif
 
I think most of you are forgetting it's not what we think.
As someone who watched both series ( Rolex/ALMS) for many years these calls have been very consistent over the last 2 years.
So to me the penalty fits the outcome of the Audi.
Sometimes the calls can (IMO) suck, but rulers be rulers.

My opinion and driving style are the same and if I were either car there would have been room for us both to go around the whole track if we were in contention at the end of said race. Eventually one of us is going to be able to pull in front of the other. Pass complete.
So to me the penalty fits the outcome of the Audi.

We actually call this (Ferrari) " A Jimmy move" at Team SMART Racing.
Well, when we were active.
 
The car on the racing line has priority.
I don't think that's the rule with any sanctioning body. The rules are usually that the car in front has priority (and the Audi got a nose in front of the Ferrari, though I'm not sure if it was enough to gain priority or not) and all cars are expected to maintain racing room.
 
BS call, but Scott Tucker lost so I'm ok with it.
 
Regardless of their final decision, they'll look like idiots either way.. Hopefully they learn from this regardless of the outcome. Although I doubt it..
 
The phantom 908 of the 2012 Le Mans race, oh the urban legend continues

/sarcasm included.
Even though they are two different leagues... It should've been a penalty as Andre had the line. Here the R8 had the line and the Ferrari was coming up, but should've dropped to give the line.

But what ever.... It's over, and Sebring will tell the tale after this..
 
The most interesting thing about this conversation is the simple notion that we probably wouldn't have this argument if the Race Director hadn't trown that last full course yellow. I couldn't see any indication that the GTD car that was off caused that much danger/debris on the track. That was some stupid NASCAR like move to bunch up the field for the last laps and didn't help the Audi at all. I'm not saying that I think the ruling was ok or not just thinking that it's much more interesting to have the drivers decide the outcome and not some funky TV coverage policy.
 
Level 5 wins. Penalty reversed.
Was it really? If so I'm happy, was gonna post this picture from the iRacing forums which shows the Ferrari in fact left enough room:
rly.png
 
I don't know whether that's good or bad, they probably had onboards from both cars which we didn't have.
 
The most interesting thing about this conversation is the simple notion that we probably wouldn't have this argument if the Race Director hadn't trown that last full course yellow. I couldn't see any indication that the GTD car that was off caused that much danger/debris on the track. That was some stupid NASCAR like move to bunch up the field for the last laps and didn't help the Audi at all. I'm not saying that I think the ruling was ok or not just thinking that it's much more interesting to have the drivers decide the outcome and not some funky TV coverage policy.
Twitter went crazy with the drivers when it went out. Brad Kettler, whatever position for Audi North America he is now, said ohh boy.. (Maybe worded differently) but did it help? Maybe for weight. But the R8 was catching up and probably could've won without difficulty.

The yellow... Pfff, who knows. Like I said previously, no one knew why it happened, but it shouldn't have been called. At Le Mans last year, there was an LMP2 off to the side at Indianapolis and at least four official crew members were on track, which were almost hit by an LMP1. It could've been a knee-jerk reaction for debris, or something else, but what happened is history..
 
Back