2014 United Sports Car Championship

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
  • 323,255 views
Normally I would agree, but Taylors defense against Pruett last year was some outstanding racing. Unfortunately, it probably just cemented the track to the schedule for some time to come.

Sad thing is, that's about the only good part of the race. Most of it was kinda dreary and not interesting.
 
Normally I would agree, but Taylors defense against Pruett last year was some outstanding racing. Unfortunately, it probably just cemented the track to the schedule for some time to come.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was an excellent race. The track sucks; however, I'd rather see Kansas than Belle Isle or Long Beach though...
 
Sad thing is, that's about the only good part of the race. Most of it was kinda dreary and not interesting.

True, but when the fog of time settles in most will probably only remember that great battle.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was an excellent race. The track sucks; however, I'd rather see Kansas than Belle Isle or Long Beach though...

I agree, I hate street circuits and wouldn't mind if they did away with all of them.
 
To be honest, is anyone really that interested in Kansas?
It just shows that this years coverage just plain sucks.
 
It just shows that this years coverage just plain sucks.

Which isn't much different from any years coverage of motorsports (unless you are NASCAR) in this country :irked:
 
Which isn't much different from any years coverage of motorsports (unless you are NASCAR) in this country :irked:

ALMS had decent coverage and so did Rolex before speed dissolved. As well as Indy and F1. The problem is now premium channels or online cable channels own the rights to broadcast this stuff and that only happened a couple years ago.
 
ALMS had decent coverage and so did Rolex before speed dissolved. As well as Indy and F1. The problem is now premium channels or online cable channels own the rights to broadcast this stuff and that only happened a couple years ago.
What I remember for sports cars ALMS and Grand-Am had good streams, usually. As for tv you had it cut up and full of commercials the next day except for Conti...you got them a week later! As for Indy fans from what I hear they hate their coverage, I don't know since I don't watch. Yes, we get F1 live flag to flag...fortunately I have a DVR :) So that would be one of five series with full season, live, flag to flag coverage...not exactly my idea of good coverage...your mileage may vary.
 
What I remember for sports cars ALMS and Grand-Am had good streams, usually. As for tv you had it cut up and full of commercials the next day except for Conti...you got them a week later! As for Indy fans from what I hear they hate their coverage, I don't know since I don't watch. Yes, we get F1 live flag to flag...fortunately I have a DVR :) So that would be one of five series with full season, live, flag to flag coverage...not exactly my idea of good coverage...your mileage may vary.

I'm not talking about current coverage though, as I said prior it changed a couple years back and if they just went to the way it was before most people wouldn't complain.
 
It just shows that this years coverage just plain sucks.

Its not so much the coverage as it is the overall package for this race. None of the classes people are most interested in, on a channel that people suddenly have to pay more for (as I found out the hard way with FS2) AND at a track that no one really cares for. Doesn't exactly speak volumes for a good ratings. Whereas Long beach coverage was perfect as it had the classes people care the most about, on a channel that hasn't been shifted to higher premium channel packages AND at a track that people actually do care about (and has quite abit of history, something most of these terrible street courses lack).
 
I'm very surprised TUSCC has as much coverage as it does all things considered. I thought that motorsports in America other than NASCAR and IndyCar was going to become stream only (horrible for teams trying to get actual sponsors) with Speed becoming FS1.
 
I'm very surprised TUSCC has as much coverage as it does all things considered. I thought that motorsports in America other than NASCAR and IndyCar was going to become stream only (horrible for teams trying to get actual sponsors) with Speed becoming FS1.

With Channels like MAV TV, Velocity and NBCSN (formally Versus), Motorsports in America will get some great coverage. WRC coverage finally has a stable home in the US thanks to MAV TV.
 
With Channels like MAV TV, Velocity and NBCSN (formally Versus), Motorsports in America will get some great coverage. WRC coverage finally has a stable home in the US thanks to MAV TV.
How many people have heard of those channels? I have to double my cable bill to get them, and I have Charter. IMSA has ended up on a channel that actually has somewhat of a viewing audience
 
How many people have heard of those channels? I have to double my cable bill to get them, and I have Charter. IMSA has ended up on a channel that actually has somewhat of a viewing audience

Pretty sure people are by now familiar with NBCSN through their default NBC channel and likewise Velocity through their parent network discovery. Even then, Motorsports itself is about as niche as the channels that cover them so I don't see what difference it makes if people have heard of these channels.
 
Pretty sure people are by now familiar with NBCSN through their default NBC channel and likewise Velocity through their parent network discovery. Even then, Motorsports itself is about as niche as the channels that cover them so I don't see what difference it makes if people have heard of these channels.
If someone is channel surfing one Saturday afternoon and happens flip to an IMSA (or any other series) race, odds are they're going to have a greater chance of flipping to it if it's on a network a lot more people can get by simple probability.
 
If someone is channel surfing one Saturday afternoon and happens flip to an IMSA (or any other series) race, odds are they're going to have a greater chance of flipping to it if it's on a network a lot more people can get by simple probability.

Problem is from my experience with two different cable providers, is that most of those stations are on the same cable package
 
Problem is from my experience with two different cable providers, is that most of those stations are on the same cable package
It's hard to justify the extra $$$ for a premium sports package, but if the more people get them than I think do, I'm glad to be wrong.
 
It's hard to justify the extra $$$ for a premium sports package, but if the more people get them than I think do, I'm glad to be wrong.

I don't know if they do but I agree with you that it's stupid to try and put them on premium TV.
 
Yes, since SPEED has (?) dissolved, motorsports TV coverage has decreased, in my market at least.

The only thing that has not changed is F1 coverage. Indy may or may not have but I started watching 3 seasons ago so I don't know what it was like before then.
Even NASCAR coverage has dropped this year.
This has to be the first year I remember Cup qualifying that was tape delayed to the next day. :eek:
And I have been watching a long time, not that I watch every Q session.

No more WRC, V8 Supercar, BTCC or WTC over the last year, 2 for some, while just getting this season's WTC coverage for the 4th and 5th events (I think). Conti races last year where tape delayed but I think all of them where televised.
This year only 2 so far, skipping the next 2 (including my home town LRP) and then back to the Glen.
2 or 3 years ago we had Darrel Waltrip and Mike Joy covering Bathurst at the track, now notta.
I'm not saying SPEED was the ultimate reason that TV coverage has decreased (and it may very well be the reason) but since SPEED has (?) dissolved, TV coverage of motorsports racing has decreased.

Oh joy, I do have 1 hour television coverage for each of the Silverstone and Spa 6 hour races.
Even though it seemed I saw more of Belgium than actual race coverage for Spa.
Oh and "lights out" at 26 minutes into the coverage of Spa. :rolleyes:
I would rather see the Conti coverage than WEC.
I prefer these classes (ST/GS) of cars and the racing involved more than any prototypes, be it DP or LMP. Same as the GT classes world wide, it's great racing.
I realize that not all think the same as I but what about those who do?

I do not want to pay more for a premium race channel as I did with SPEED, I pay enough already.



On another note, Lime Rock was wet for qualifying and qualifying was cancelled. Teams spent the time practicing in the wet. http://www.imsa.com/articles/rain-puts-points-leading-bmw-m3-pole


The GT3 Cup Porches were doing wheelies over the hill. :bowdown:
Even greater than the Pirelli World Challenge cars last year.
That must be some feeling the first time a driver lifts the wheels, and for that long, wow!!

10257233_10152290633979003_8475972508626322101_n.jpg


More photos.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152290624349003.1073741864.44115954002&type=1
 
I would rather see the Conti coverage than WEC.
I prefer these classes (ST/GS) of cars and the racing involved more than any prototypes, be it DP or LMP. Same as the GT classes world wide, it's great racing.
I realize that not all think the same as I but what about those who do?

I do not want to pay more for a premium race channel as I did with SPEED, I pay enough already.



On another note, Lime Rock was wet for qualifying and qualifying was cancelled. Teams spent the time practicing in the wet. http://www.imsa.com/articles/rain-puts-points-leading-bmw-m3-pole


The GT3 Cup Porches were doing wheelies over the hill. :bowdown:
Even greater than the Pirelli World Challenge cars last year.
That must be some feeling the first time a driver lifts the wheels, and for that long, wow!!

10257233_10152290633979003_8475972508626322101_n.jpg


More photos.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152290624349003.1073741864.44115954002&type=1
I prefer Conti over any other sports car series. It's so much fun to watch. Shorter races, but still strategy and other factors come into play. Cars that I can go outside my apartment and see 3 of them in the parking lot as I type this. 3400 lbF Mustangs balanced with Nissan 370Zs and AWD Subarus all the way to Porsche and that humongous Camaro now in the series with another class that's got everything from basically a spec miata to a Hyundai Genesis. It's truly awesome
 
Rum Bum Wins GS.
http://www.imsa.com/articles/rum-bum-porsche-earns-first-victory-season

27 Freedom Autosport with Staff Sgt. Dwyer wins ST.
http://www.imsa.com/articles/us-marine-staff-sgt-liam-dwyer-wins-lime-rock
https://twitter.com/FOXSportsLive/status/470413285364215808

It was dry all day up to 10 minutes after the GS race, and then it poured cancelling race 2 for the Porsches.
http://www.imsa.com/articles/benitez-holds-nielsen-lime-rock-win?invalidate-cache=1401010002
https://twitter.com/HighRevsPhoto/status/470331454137073665/photo/1

The crowd was larger than I expected for not having the GT and P class cars.
 
Liam Dwyer winning the ST race made SportsCenter's top 10!
 
Maybe the highlights will be shown in the Movietone news next week at the picture show.:banghead:
 
Jordan Taylor's mullet is coming off at the Glen. It made the front page of MSN not just the sports section either. First time sports car racing in America has been there in quite a while if ever
 
This is what TUSCC should be. GT3 spec and one prototype. Too bad it's at the worst track on the schedule
 
What a finish, the stewards will be busy!
 
Crazy last lap..
 
Insanity at the finish. I was excited. I was cheering for Westy to get Ricky there at the end. The GTD race was superb. Tough luck for Flying Lizard and AIM there getting tangled up in T1
 
Back