2016/17 Europa League

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 187 comments
I don't know I can't see Ajax holding on to this group, last night was their chance I feel, I'd say there will be a lot leaving this summer, unfortunately.

Most likely. It's the story of the Dutch clubs.

Most likely. It's the story of the Dutch clubs.
Turned into a bit of a feeder league now unfortunately.

One of the commentators described it as a game with a classic feel modernised. Two teams a few decades ago were right up there.

Since when does the value of a player show how good he is?
Like... always?

Teams put high prices on their good players because they don't want to lose them. Teams pay high prices for good players because they have to have them. United didn't pay £89m for Paul Pogba because they desperately needed literally anybody and he was the last turkey in the shop, they paid £89m because he's among the highest-rated midfield players on the planet and they need that talent to help them succeed. Same as Ronaldo, or Gareth Bale. You don't think Buffon cost Juventus £30m+ despite being no better than Lee Grant, right?

Transfer fee paid or required to buy a player out of their contract is one of the key indicators of how good a player is. As is salary.

You think a £40 millon player is ten times better than a £4 million player?
Have I given any indication that I think player value is an exact 1:1 correlation with ability? I think I only suggested that United's starting eleven cost 20 times as much as Ajax's, not that they were 20 times better.

Personally I think that a player fee/salary coefficient vs a current ability/development potential coefficient would plot roughly an exponential curve, where the 1% that makes a top player a top player could double their value.

Which would make Manchester United about 3.5% better than Ajax. Roughly.

There's a lot more factors than just skill level in a transfer fee. Age, marketability, contract and each clubs needs.

Pogba was a world record transfer because he's pretty young, will sell a lot of shirts, United needed a midfielder, Juve didn't need to sell him and he had a long contract still.

Gundogan, who a lot of fans argued was better than Pogba, cost 20 million, as he was in the last year of contract, a couple of years older, and will not sell many shirts.

Pogba was a world record transfer because he's pretty young
Gundogan, who a lot of fans argued was better than Pogba, cost 20 million, as he was in the last year of contract, a couple of years older
Indeed, as I said:
Personally I think that a player fee/salary coefficient vs a current ability/development potential coefficient would plot roughly an exponential curve

You could also add career length, if your the best player in the world but your well into your 30s the value isn't there because of how much longer your going to play.

Back