2016/17 Europa League

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 187 comments
Semi finals are tomorrow, Celta v United and Ajax v Lyon, good news for United today with Jones, Smalling, Bailly and Pogba all training today....

Semi finals are tomorrow, Celta v United and Ajax v Lyon, good news for United today with Jones, Smalling, Bailly and Pogba all training today....

Ajax - Lyon starts in 90 minutes. Tomorrow is Remembrance day here, and Amsterdam didn't want a bunch of drunk hooligans in the city.

DSC_0904.JPG

How about that.

Edit.

Lyon had a good 5 minutes. But alas.

DSC_0905.JPG

4-1 final standing.

Ajax completely outclassed Lyon on every front. Absolutely incredible. The 5-1 and more were a lot more obvious than a possible 2 for Lyon.

Incredible.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting to see that when I opened the thread. Worries me to see who Manchester United could get if we qualify. Don't remember the last time Man Utd scored 4 in a game.

I wasn't expecting to see that when I opened the thread. Worries me to see who Manchester United could get if we qualify. Don't remember the last time Man Utd scored 4 in a game.

Ajax at home and Ajax away are not quite the same. But then again, the Final is only one game. :dopey:

Manchester United luckily seem to be better away from home. Nobody can win at Old Trafford, even us!

That Ajax win and performance was hugely impressive, especially as its such a young team.

My motivational message to the Man United boys tonight:

GET TO THE ****ING FINAL!

that is all......

Lyon - Ajax. 0-1. 1-5 overall.

Welp

That went wrong pretty quick. 2-1 in 2 minutes. A diving frenchie getting a penalty, and still in shock, Ajax gave away the 2-1.

Last edited:
Twitchy bum time for Ajax now. 3-1 on the night. The 4th takes it to extra time.

Edit: Ajax down to 10 men too!

Twitchy bum time for Man United too.

Hard fought draw takes United through to the final. Got a bit nervy at the end but it should be a good final against Ajax.

Fair play Lyon, if they didn't fall apart in first leg that would have been even more of a fight to the finish!

I just hope that Mourinho doesn't park the bus in Stockholm.
True, I don't think he can afford to. Unfortunately I think he's making a point about our injuries dictating the players he can pick and the tactics he can use. Got to go for it against Ajax though.

Typical United performance that we have seen this season, our goal was good but apart from that it was a bit crap, but we are in the final.

That dust up at the end was pathetic and shameful by everyone involved, when your that close to a major final you man up and walk away in that situation.

We cant play like we did tonight against Ajax, the young talent in their team scares me a little...

Man United have arrived in Stockholm later than planned which is understandable following last nights attack, there will be a minutes silence before tomorrow nights game.

The final is on in just over an hour, Massive game!
Having seen how Chelsea did this season with no European distractions allowing them to smash the league, would United fans prefer to:
* Win the Europa League and play Champions League football next season
* Lose and have nothing but the Premier League to focus on, like Chelsea

Even if we didn't win the Europa League tonight we would have a distraction next season anyway and that's called the Europa League! We have qualified for it through our league position.

Anyway to answer your question I think it would have to be win the Europa League and play in the Champions League, we can attract better players if we qualify for it, get more money and revenue from it, plus we will lose ÂŁ40 million a year from next season from our Adidas kit deal if we don't qualify for the CL this season.

Having seen how Chelsea did this season with no European distractions allowing them to smash the league, would United fans prefer to:
* Win the Europa League and play Champions League football next season
* Lose and have nothing but the Premier League to focus on, like Chelsea
I would prefer United winning Europa League. A team like Manchester United should be going for all competitions and trying to win them. Premier League level doesn't seem that strong at top, need to have the winning mentality to win it.

Sir Alex showed it is was possible to do well pretty much every season, even after all that money spent with base of a dominating league winning side, likes of Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho haven't finished as high up in Premier League as Sir Alex worst of 3rd. He usually finished 1st or 2nd level on points or a point off, that is standard Manchester United should aim for and also managing to be top of UEFA Club coefficient rankings at the same time, at least for UK clubs at a minimum.

Since when has a European final been a good game?

I like the look of Ajax as a team.

So true. :lol:

But a bit more action on target would be welcome.

Also.

Rashford has become a bit of a diver. Applying for a job in Spain?

Last edited:
Back