2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
McDowell saw the huge run Busch had over Logano on the backstretch, and made his own play for third, hoping he could pass both Toyotas if Busch managed to get beside Hamlin and they started side drafting (or worse).

It's the last lap, and McDowell isn't driving for The Captain. He did what he thought gave FRM the best chance to win the race. It didn't work out, but I think he was right in trying it.

He had to know that given the same chance, Logano wouldn't fall on his sword to push a FRM Ford to victory lane over a 5% chance to win it for himself.
Kyle also said in the bullpen post race that he didn’t think McDowell helped him much either, but at least he was mature enough not to go make a big stink about it on pit road

Kyle also said in the bullpen post race that he didn’t think McDowell helped him much either, but at least he was mature enough not to go make a big stink about it on pit road

It's not really a big stink on the one hand, it reads more of fishing for a story. I think that Joey is right to see some irritation on a manufacture car leaving him out to dry and I'm sure if it was anyone but a Gibbs car running a Toyota badge and this happened to Hamlin or Busch the same could be said. On the other hand I can see where McDowell is coming from in thought on that last run because as @MustangRyan said he doesn't drive for the captain and more so he's running for a smaller team who are looking for any success possible.

However, I find it surprising that you Ganon can't see why Logano and probably by larger extension Penske Racing are a bit irritated by this. Front Row has been getting Ford Technical support for a few years now, seems to be more of a Ford team than say a GoFas for example.

However, I find it surprising that you Ganon can't see why Logano and probably by larger extension Penske Racing are a bit irritated by this. Front Row has been getting Ford Technical support for a few years now, seems to be more of a Ford team than say a GoFas for example.
I didn’t say that. I’d probably be mad about it too if I were Logano. But he didn’t need to go over to him on pit road, or just automatically assume that McDowell would cost himself what is probably going to be his only top 5 of the year.

And at the end of the day, these guys are going 200 mph down that backstretch and McDowell had maybe half a second to make a decision on this.

All that being said honestly if I were Logano I’d be madder at the 47 for blocking Jones to the grass instead of sticking with him like they agreed to during the last red flag

I didn’t say that. I’d probably be mad about it too if I were Logano. But he didn’t need to go over to him on pit road, or just automatically assume that McDowell would cost himself what is probably going to be his only top 5 of the year.

Which is why I said on the "other hand".

And at the end of the day, these guys are going 200 mph down that backstretch and McDowell had maybe half a second to make a decision on this.

After a lengthy red flag and caution period to set up the GWC...nah. If it had been say him coming from 10th or further and then having to decide I could see the point.

All that being said honestly if I were Logano I’d be madder at the 47 for blocking Jones to the grass instead of sticking with him like they agreed to during the last red flag

Mad at a rookie doing a Cup race at a plate track and the biggest plate track event of the year...

I believe Logano was told that Preece confirmed through their spotters that he would "follow him to the parking lot if that's where the race ended." He didn't live up to that.

Qualifying for Cup is today. Couple drivers on Twitter thinking we might see teams run in groups.

Also reminder that Sunday's race will not run the aero ducts.

Edit: Well the group thing didn't happen...

Last edited:
Pole for 2018 at Atlanta was a 30.024, set by Kyle Busch

Pole for this Sunday's race is a 30.550, set by Aric Almirola.

So reducing horse power from 750 to 550 and adding a large spoiler and splitter, only slowed them by about half a second.

Pole for 2018 at Atlanta was a 30.024, set by Kyle Busch

Pole for this Sunday's race is a 30.550, set by Aric Almirola.

So reducing horse power from 750 to 550 and adding a large spoiler and splitter, only slowed them by about half a second.

I think everyone was surprised by how fast they went. That’s what being able to run flat out around the track does. Of course they won’t be able to do that much during the race.

The best sign so far is that the times were close and most of the field seemed very competitive

The larger spoiler and splitter mean they can corner at faster speeds than before, despite going slower than before at the end of the straightaway.

So, driving now requires even less skill, and the teams that find that little bit of extra power and downforce will be faster while everyone runs wide open all the way around the track. This is basically just glorified go kart racing at a kid's park.

I would much rather see the races won by the best drivers, not the teams with the best engineers in the wind tunnel.

Again, put the power back up around 900 horses (or more!), remove the splitters, get the cars up off of the ground and make the drivers WORK to sling those iron chariots through the corners. Make turning these cars a wild adventure and a chore again.

Reward the driver that can best manage his equipment, preserve his tires, and find the best way to get through a corner. I loved watching guys let off early and get back in the gas sooner vs those that would drive it in way too deep and hope it stuck.

Wide open throttle all the way through the corners will eliminate all of these contrasts of style and tactics, making the racing even less interesting.

The speeds are a lot faster than I thought.

I'll be watching the race for sure, but don't have high hopes for this package. I may be wrong and hope I am. If not my Sundays will be a lot more productive.

I remember when Kyle Busch won the first COT race years ago and the first thing he said in victory lane was "This car sucks". Hoping that happens again. (Kyle or whoever wins on Sunday)

The larger spoiler and splitter mean they can corner at faster speeds than before, despite going slower than before at the end of the straightaway.

So, driving now requires even less skill, and the teams that find that little bit of extra power and downforce will be faster while everyone runs wide open all the way around the track. This is basically just glorified go kart racing at a kid's park.

I would much rather see the races won by the best drivers, not the teams with the best engineers in the wind tunnel.

Again, put the power back up around 900 horses (or more!), remove the splitters, get the cars up off of the ground and make the drivers WORK to sling those iron chariots through the corners. Make turning these cars a wild adventure and a chore again.

Reward the driver that can best manage his equipment, preserve his tires, and find the best way to get through a corner. I loved watching guys let off early and get back in the gas sooner vs those that would drive it in way too deep and hope it stuck.

Wide open throttle all the way through the corners will eliminate all of these contrasts of style and tactics, making the racing even less interesting.

NASCAR needs to understand its niche in the racing world. Open wheel and sports cars have them beat in finesse, technology, and danger, so NASCAR needs to become what it used to be, the most difficult cars in the world to drive and old school brute force. No technology, no driver aids, no problem.

The problem is NASCAR has not been considering themselves a “racing” series for a long time, they think they’re competing with the other “real” sports. Which is a mistake since that audience hasn’t cared about NASCAR since about 2004. It’s a joke to sports fans and it’s a joke to racing fans.

I know addiction is no joke, but Brian France probably green lighted this package and many other "brilliant" ideas while high as a kite. Maybe with his uncle at the helm, the mistakes will slowly be undone over the next few years and NASCAR will become respected on the world stage once again. I doubt he'll ever read this post, but here are a few ideas to get started (copy/paste from a 5 yr old thread):

1. Eliminate the Chase. No explanation required.
2. Cut the schedule to 29 races per year which will completely eliminate several cookie cutter tracks. Also, there will be less night races, more road courses, and earlier start times.
3. Give Goodyear an ultimatum: Make a race tire that doesn't suck or leave the sport forever and a tire company with a good reputation will take your place.
4. Loosen the restrictions on what the teams can and can't do to the cars. (no gear rule, any spoiler angle between 40-70 degrees except at restrictor plate tracks)
5. Eliminate stage racing. One again no explanation required.
6. Eliminate all the kiddie rules (free pass, wave around, etc.)
7. Reduce the length of certain races by 15-25% while cutting ticket prices by the same amount.

*Optional* Eliminate pit road speed limits. No pit crew members will be allowed over the wall until the car has come to a complete stop in the stall. Under caution, only half of the cars will be allowed to pit at a time (odd # pit stalls one lap, even # pit stalls the next) to reduce injuries. In addition, the pace car will run anywhere from 5-15 mph faster depending on the length of the track.

I know addiction is no joke, but Brian France probably green lighted this package and many other "brilliant" ideas while high as a kite. Maybe with his uncle at the helm, the mistakes will slowly be undone over the next few years and NASCAR will become respected on the world stage once again. I doubt he'll ever read this post, but here are a few ideas to get started (copy/paste from a 5 yr old thread):

1. Eliminate the Chase. No explanation required.
2. Cut the schedule to 29 races per year which will completely eliminate several cookie cutter tracks. Also, there will be less night races, more road courses, and earlier start times.
3. Give Goodyear an ultimatum: Make a race tire that doesn't suck or leave the sport forever and a tire company with a good reputation will take your place.
4. Loosen the restrictions on what the teams can and can't do to the cars. (no gear rule, any spoiler angle between 40-70 degrees except at restrictor plate tracks)
5. Eliminate stage racing. One again no explanation required.
6. Eliminate all the kiddie rules (free pass, wave around, etc.)
7. Reduce the length of certain races by 15-25% while cutting ticket prices by the same amount.

*Optional* Eliminate pit road speed limits. No pit crew members will be allowed over the wall until the car has come to a complete stop in the stall. Under caution, only half of the cars will be allowed to pit at a time (odd # pit stalls one lap, even # pit stalls the next) to reduce injuries. In addition, the pace car will run anywhere from 5-15 mph faster depending on the length of the track.
My only complaint is that the series should have pit road speed limiters like in sports cars. Make it a simple button the drivers can manipulate at their discretion. The constant speeding penalties are getting old.

Thinking about it last night, but Brads run to the finish yesterday reminded me a lot of his Kentucky win a couple years back. He used the large gap he had on Carl Edwards to try and save fuel. Running way slower then Carl. Then, just as Carl was about to catch him on the final lap, he put the hammer down and won the race.

Last edited:
Anyone watch Cup qualifying? That was a 🤬 show. Kinda entertaining but I think it will go the way of Xfinity series. They tried it and tore up too many cars. I’m excited to see the new package in a race.

Anyone watch Cup qualifying? That was a 🤬 show. Kinda entertaining but I think it will go the way of Xfinity series. They tried it and tore up too many cars. I’m excited to see the new package in a race.
It was entertaining once they got on track, but sucked watching them sit on pit road waiting for someone else to go first. I imagine they might revise the format at some point this year or next year. Maybe single car qualifying at tracks where drafting will effect the results.

A lot of drivers voiced their displeasure after qualifying, complaining that the fastest cars weren't the ones who qualified well. Too random.

It was entertaining once they got on track, but sucked watching them sit on pit road waiting for someone else to go first. I imagine they might revise the format at some point this year or next year. Maybe single car qualifying at tracks where drafting will effect the results.

A lot of drivers voiced their displeasure after qualifying, complaining that the fastest cars weren't the ones who qualified well. Too random.

Since when has NASCAR ever been opposed to random chance?

Poor Kyle penalized himself, woulda, coulda, shoulda!

Otherwise, that was about as good a Cup race as it gets these days, IMO.

It was better than last week, but Xfinity was the best this weekend.

It just looked the same as the racing always has with the Gen 6 car, just 2 seconds apart instead of 4 seconds apart. Clean air is still king

I suspect Roger Penske's legendary shock absorber engineering expertise is playing a big role. His cars, and not many others, keep their handling over long runs across bumpy surfaces. With the huge rear spoilers and heavily restricted engines, the cars are never going to be far apart, can run multiple grooves, and be able to draft and pass going into turns. This formula works well at a number of motorsports levels, and is IMO well worth a shot in the the struggling NASCAR game.

Edit
fyi, https://racer.com/2019/03/03/cup-series-rules-package-still-a-work-in-progress/

Last edited:
Back