2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
That depends if the fans like it and it's the best race of the season you can bet that NASCAR won't keep it by the recent decision they have made, OK by the decision they have made since the start of the Brian France era.
Ever since Brian's DUI, we've gotten a new road course (sort of), a new downforce package, they're running the carousel again at Sonoma, and the schedule will finally see some changes for the first time in about 2 decades. Three of those have been steps in the right direction. The downforce package is still up in the air. Taking the HP away kinda sucks, but aside from the same drivers still winning, the racing has seemed to be better. I think Brian getting that DUI is the best thing that's happened to NASCAR in some time.

Ever since Brian's DUI, we've gotten a new road course (sort of), a new downforce package, they're running the carousel again at Sonoma, and the schedule will finally see some changes for the first time in about 2 decades. Three of those have been steps in the right direction. The downforce package is still up in the air. Taking the HP away kinda sucks, but aside from the same drivers still winning, the racing has seemed to be better. I think Brian getting that DUI is the best thing that's happened to NASCAR in some time.
To be fair, the Roval was in development long before Brian’s arrest and that’s more of an SMI thing, less of a NASCAR thing. They also announced the Sonoma layout change after the race last year in June

That being said, Jim France is great and I think the high downforce package is mostly just a holdover from the Brian/Dewar days. By all accounts the Gen 7 is going to look nothing like this when it launches in 2021

You could tell Logano was trying to prove a point there. He wasn’t going to dump Truex again. He had every chance to bump him In turn 3 on the last lap but he chose to drive to the outside and race him clean. He was trying to earn some respect back from Truex.

If it was the playoffs I doubt that’s how it would’ve played out.

Was rooting for Bowyer at the end, but he used up his stuff too early

You could tell Logano was trying to prove a point there. He wasn’t going to dump Truex again. He had every chance to bump him In turn 3 on the last lap but he chose to drive to the outside and race him clean. He was trying to earn some respect back from Truex.

If it was the playoffs I doubt that’s how it would’ve played out

Yeah I think Joey might actually be learning something. Last thing you want is a dude to dump you when he gets an opportunity. He knows that if it was an important race (think the Chase) and the favor was returned, it’s real counter productive to the goal. He had to learn the hard way with Kenseth.

Missed most of the race but was able to see the final ~100 laps or so.

Wanted Clint to get the win, but he used up his stuff. Also was hoping Logano would use the bumper again, but he chose not to.

Good to see Truex finally get a short track win though.

I have to say, ever since Brian France Jr. got pushed out of the picture it seems like quite a few rational folks in the front office are finally being allowed to speak up and act. Maybe they'll actually admit they piled too many gimmicks into the racing format and do something about that as well?

You know it's really bad when NASCAR is openly admitting that they have messed up.

If something drastic doesn't happen, NASCAR as we currently know it will cease to exist or the teams will have to drastically slash their budgets to keep running when the current TV deal expires at the end of 2024.

So, they basically have 4 years to shake it up and make something happen from 2021 to 2024.

Just a quick note. The big change for the Super Speedway package is the replacement of the restrictive plate with a tapered spacer. While the function is still pretty much the same, the cars now have a bit more power and better throttle response. To compensate for the power increase, and the increased speed that comes with it, the rear spoiler is now 9". All the cars will also run a 1″ bolt on track bar mount to raise the rear of the cars.
Also, the aero ducts will be used.

Edit: Note the height of the rear spoiler.
IMG_3772.PNG

Last edited:
Just a quick note. The big change for the Super Speedway package is the replacement of the restrictive plate with a tapered spacer. While the function is still pretty much the same, the cars now have a bit more power and better throttle response. To compensate for the power increase, and the increased speed that comes with it, the rear spoiler is now 9". All the cars will also run a 1″ bolt on track bar mount to raise the rear of the cars.

View attachment 817060
After 1st Practice, NASCAR has mandated that all teams add a 1" wicker bill to the top of the rear spoilers to slow the cars down even more after the top 9 cars ran laps in the 202 mph range.

After 1st Practice, NASCAR has mandated that all teams add a 1" wicker bill to the top of the rear spoilers to slow the cars down even more after the top 9 cars ran laps in the 202 mph range.
After 2nd practice, the top 6 cars had run laps in the 204 mph range. So we might see one more change before the race.
200 mph, ok. 202 mph, not ok. - NASCAR
I think I remember reading somewhere that it has to do with insurance purposes. At least at Daytona.

View attachment 817060

Those things look mega ugly
200 mph, ok. 202 mph, not ok. - NASCAR
C'mon man!!

I think I remember reading somewhere that it has to do with insurance purposes. At least at Daytona.

Whatever it is it's dumb. There are 1.5 mile tracks where they were pushing 220 into corners. Only difference is you have to hit the brakes after that. No need for brakes at these superspeedways. They could easily end the draft and pack racing by uncorking them and putting a good set of brakes on them and actually use them like all other tracks.

After 2nd practice, the top 6 cars had run laps in the 204 mph range. So we might see one more change before the race.

:banghead::banghead::banghead: Running 204 vs 200 will not cause the cars to suddenly fly 25 feet into the air and flip 18 times when turned around backwards. Although if the wicker bill and other changes make the racing remotely close to the 2001 season, I'm for it.

What do these stockers weigh? Somewhere near 3800 lbs with driver and fuel? Low cost, high weight and solid rear axles add up to a wheel-hopping compromise that's hard to whoa down over a long race.

Congratulations to Chevrolet. They finally got organized and did what they needed to do to win.

Whatever it is it's dumb. There are 1.5 mile tracks where they were pushing 220 into corners. Only difference is you have to hit the brakes after that. No need for brakes at these superspeedways. They could easily end the draft and pack racing by uncorking them and putting a good set of brakes on them and actually use them like all other tracks.
If they could do that, they would. Test runs have shown the cars still able to hit 230-240 without any form of restriction at Talladega, and they don’t want to have a car flip into the grandstands like Bobby Allison almost did in 1987.

The only track close to 220 was repaved Michigan, and that is basically a plate track now with the new rules package.

If they could do that, they would. Test runs have shown the cars still able to hit 230-240 without any form of restriction at Talladega, and they don’t want to have a car flip into the grandstands like Bobby Allison almost did in 1987.

The only track close to 220 was repaved Michigan, and that is basically a plate track now with the new rules package.
Or like Kyle Larson in 2013, or like Austin Dillon in 2015.

Back