2021 Formula 1 Calendar threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 364 comments
Human rights issues aside, if they absolutely must have another race in the Middle East, Dubai Autodrome is a much better layout. Some banked corners (though not as severe as Zandvoort) and actual elevation change instead of the flat and featureless Losail circuit. It's basically Paul Ricard without the seizure inducing runoff areas :yuck:

Human rights issues aside, if they absolutely must have another race in the Middle East, Dubai Autodrome is a much better layout. Some banked corners (though not as severe as Zandvoort) and actual elevation change instead of the flat and featureless Losail circuit. It's basically Paul Ricard without the seizure inducing runoff areas :yuck:
I’m amazed it’s never been talked about. Would have thought it would be a banker for another Middle Eastern circuit.

I’m amazed it’s never been talked about. Would have thought it would be a banker for another Middle Eastern circuit.
I could be wrong but I believe Abu Dhabi have an exclusivity deal for that proximity area preventing a race in Dubai. Dubai is only 140km from the Abu Dhabi circuit whereas Qatar is 600km away, Bahrain is 750km.

EDIT: In fact the circuits themselves are even closer, only 100km from Yas Marina to Dubai Autodrome.

Last edited:
Spain should be dropped for sure. Terrible track and never sees any action.

Paul Ricard is another terrible track. Its a test track, not a racetrack.

Mugello would be a great addition.

I wish Kyalami could become an F1 circuit. Fantastic track.

Cota needs to resurfaced asap. Motogp has been bitching about it being beyond bumpy this weekend.

Cota needs to resurfaced asap. Motogp has been bitching about it being beyond bumpy this weekend.
Not a good sign for later this month as it faced the same bumpy issues two years ago. Did the riders say where on the track, the bumps were?

Seems they're kind of everywhere but particularly bad in turns 1-3 & 10.

That's not good to hear. I remember the area around Turn 10 was the issue back in 2019 & hearing the cars bottom out.
IMG-6329.jpg

Not a good sign for later this month as it faced the same bumpy issues two years ago. Did the riders say where on the track, the bumps were?
I didnt hear specifically but every rider seemed to complain about it. The whole track needs to be resurfaced.

The riders said they wont come back if its not resurfaced next year

Is there a conscious effort to have MotoGP and F1 use the same tracks, or at least share a percentage of tracks? A good F1 track doesn't necessarily make a good MotoGP track and vice versa. "Good track" is so broad and unhelpful if you don't know what series you're talking about.

"This track isn't good for F1". Okay, don't race there.
"This track isn't good for MotoGP". Okay, don't race there.

Give F1 good F1 tracks.
Give MotoGP good MotoGP tracks.

Last edited:
Is there a conscious effort to have MotoGP and F1 use the same tracks, or at least share a percentage of tracks? A good F1 track doesn't necessarily make a good MotoGP track and vice versa. "Good track" is so broad and unhelpful if you don't know what series you're talking about.

"This track isn't good for F1". Okay, don't race there.
"This track isn't good for MotoGP". Okay, don't race there.

Give F1 good F1 tracks.
Give MotoGP good MotoGP tracks.
Some of these tracks pride themselves in hosting both F1 and MotoGP so their owners can brand them as multi-purpose tracks regardless of the quality of the racing. In other words, the owners want money.

So despite it being terrible, Sprint is un$urpri$ingly going to be kept, and extended to at least 7 events.

I mean we all knew the "It's a trial, we'll decide whether to keep it after that" was hokum but I expected them to be a little less transparent.
"But generally speaking it has been an incredible success.”
No Stefano, it has not.

So despite it being terrible, Sprint is un$urpri$ingly going to be kept, and extended to at least 7 events.

I mean we all knew the "It's a trial, we'll decide whether to keep it after that" was hokum but I expected them to be a little less transparent.

No Stefano, it has not.
The first laps at silverstone sprint were entertaining and gave us Alonso on a a charge. Monza was as Monza is.
It’s almost as if there’s brand new cars coming that we haven’t seen race yet.

The first laps at silverstone sprint were entertaining and gave us Alonso on a a charge. Monza was as Monza is.
It’s almost as if there’s brand new cars coming that we haven’t seen race yet.
Well that's the thing, it makes no sense. Why spend all that effort on making cars which can more easily overtake and then consign most of that racing to a sprint race on a Saturday?

Setting the grid based on race pace is never going to lead to more racing on a Sunday, no matter what cars they're driving.

This is purely about money, not about improving F1. Sprint has so many negatives, and very few positives.

No Stefano, it has not.
How do you know? Pretty sure there were more spectators for quali instead of FP2 on friday and at least the same, probably more, for sprint instead of quali on saturday. With this in mind, yes, it was undeniable a success.

No Stefano, it has not.
Look at the metrics (crowd numbers) instead of the racing and you'll understand why it's a "success"

How do you know? Pretty sure there were more spectators for quali instead of FP2 on friday and at least the same, probably more, for sprint instead of quali on saturday. With this in mind, yes, it was undeniable a success.
That's monetary speaking. Generally speaking, how was it a success? It didn't make the race on Sunday any better, it didn't make normal quali any better (Quite the opposite, devalued it and changed decades of tradition in awarding of pole), and the races themselves were nothing to write home about.

So what has it achieved for F1? Making FOM more money is about it. Maybe I'm getting stuck into semantics but I don't see how it was a general success.

More money from more viewers. So more people enjoying it. And yet the internet trolls watching it too to complain afterwards -> more traffic and #f1 tweets.
So it still is a success and not only money-wise. Nobody watches trash tv because it is so good, but still people watch it. So trash tv is a success. Just like sprint in F1. It would only be unsuccessful if you loose viewers to the normal weekend format.
And that close to nothing is affected by the sprint makes it even better. So nobody can say it ruins the Grand Prix. Win-Win and 100% success.

Even FOM/Fia aren't that dumb that a 30 minute race after a normal qualifying with a normal running order (fast cars in front, slow cars in the back) without pitstops would be in anyway more interesting after the startlap than a normal first stint in a normal race. Why should it. And to get more attention with this silly sprint is just a good success and the reason they will do more of this in the future. In this case it wasn't even hard to predict more of it in the future. It doesn't ruin anything and then there is still the chance that one or another sprint will be good and sth will happen. That's the reason people watching it. Millions of people worldwide watchching Billionaires shooting a leatherball on a grasspitch for 90 minutes at least 5 days a week were most times less happens than in a 30 min F1 sprint and it works 😄

Last edited:
More money from more viewers. So more people enjoying it. And yet the internet trolls watching it too to complain afterwards -> more traffic and #f1 tweets.
So it still is a success and not only money-wise. Nobody watches trash tv because it is so good, but still people watch it. So trash tv is a success. Just like sprint in F1. It would only be unsuccessful if you loose viewers to the normal weekend format.
And that close to nothing is affected by the sprint makes it even better. So nobody can say it ruins the Grand Prix. Win-Win and 100% success.

Even FOM/Fia aren't that dumb that a 30 minute race after a normal qualifying with a normal running order (fast cars in front, slow cars in the back) without pitstops would be in anyway more interesting after the startlap than a normal first stint in a normal race. Why should it. And to get more attention with this silly sprint is just a good success and the reason they will do more of this in the future. In this case it wasn't even hard to predict more of it in the future. It doesn't ruin anything and then there is still the chance that one or another sprint will be good and sth will happen. That's the reason people watching it. Millions of people worldwide watchching Billionaires shooting a leatherball on a grasspitch for 90 minutes at least 5 days a week were most times less happens than in a 30 min F1 sprint and it works 😄
Do you have a wide range of viewing figures for both events? I've only seen UK data for Silverstone which was slightly up but how much of that was down to the novelty/new factor? F1 viewing figures are also already on a general upward trend thanks to the popularity of Drive to Survive.

Last edited:

No Stefano, it has not.

A large number of stakeholders are positive about the Sprint race concept.

So weird. You would think it was the fans who were positive.

So weird.

I had no idea that the sprint races were getting sponsored like that. That explains it all, because they aren’t a very good addition atm.

The house at Radillion is finally gone as part of the redevelopment planned.

9rqvujped9t71.jpg

Meanwhile in Abu Dhabi the new hairpin is done and the rest is getting there.

Been ootl, but is this part of track widening?
Which one? Spa they're levelling the land either side of Radillion to be able to add more run off and gravel to try to prevent the cars spilling back onto the track issue. Abu Dhabi they're making two main alterations and a few more minor ones.

Yeah but the headline still just says "set to" so they're guessing and nothing has been confirmed yet.

f122.png

Didn't the Saudis plan to build a real ciruit and the Jeddah one was only a one off? [Edit] Ok, from 2023 on, not 2022, so a two-off. Must be nice to have oil wells 😄

Last edited:

Imola is back, Australia, Singapore and Japan also back, Saudi Arabia for round 2. Miami inexplicably between Imola and Spain rather than back to back with Canada.

Yeh, the Miami fixture sticks out like a sore thumb.

Bahrain to start is quite good, but Saudi Arabia still leaves something of a bad taste in the mouth, and if it turns out to be a crap race/circuit, it will only get worse.

So great to see Suzuka back. In fact, I am sorely tempted to book my ticket as soon as I can, and to hell with work next year :lol: If only Suzuka was not in term-time...

Back