Assetto corsa coming to PS4 and Xbox one

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 10,511 comments
@Matt Stephens - I'll chime in with my two penneth about wheels;

I've had a Logitech G25 since 2009, & it's still going strong. Only issues I had was with calibration; turned out to be a loose screw on the optical encoder board (the encoder wheel was & still is 100% fine), tightened the screw & have had no issues since. My brake started to spike, so I swapped the pot with the clutch pot & all have been fine ever since. Upgraded to the NIXIM brake & clutch mods (which are AWESOME). I also did the Chili Coke mod to stiffen the gear shifter which was an improvement.

I've had a Fanatec GT2 wheel which died on me after about a year; impossible to repair. I also had a Fanatec CSR which died in a year, & is also impossible to repair. I've also had a lot of Fanatec gear come through my hands during my "wheeling & dealing" escapades & have tried two GT3 RS wheels, & they both felt very different. My current Fanatec CSR just doesn't feel right, it feels different from my last CSR & I can't get on with it.

I've had several G25's & G27's come through my hands also, & they all felt pretty much exactly the same. There's more robustness & consistency overall in my experience. I currently have a G29 that is 2 years old this month, & it's still as good as new. No problems whatsoever.

I much prefer the feel of the belt drive in the Fanatec wheels, but they are far too fragile & prone to multiple things going wrong IME. Whereas the Logitech gear is more reliable overall, but is notchy feeling because of the cogs/helical gearing.

That said, if you get a good Fanatec wheel you'll have no problems, & if you get a bad one you will. Same goes for every other wheel out there including the Logitech's.

At the end of the day it's all pretty much a crapshoot. You pays your money & you takes your choice!

Well Brandon, I used to think that the T300 is THAT much better than the G29 due to opinions like yours and the hype in here or the simracing community in general and it used to make me feel a bit bad about my purchase.
Yet in the previous league community i was in, like 5 people had their T300 fail on them while only 1 G29 failed and it was easily fixeable and logitech replaced him the wheel although he was 2 months out of warranty.
However, what really was the nail in the coffin is the recent “simracing garage” review of the G29 where he says the details of the ffb are better on the g29 than on the t300, it’s only more coggy or noisy but definitely more detailed. T300 is only smoother with a bit more powerful torque but it’s also has its shortcomings. He was also very pleasantly surprised by the G29 overall.
That’s when i really felt comfortable and confident again in my purchase :) added to the list of positives i mentioned above (lots of buttons, great default 3 pedals, etc...) and i think it’s a very good wheel!

Fair enough. For me the smoothness and extra torque is far more important and what makes me prefer the T300. Once you've been on belt drive wheels it's kinda tough to go back to a coggy wheel. Each to their own though, and the more people enjoying a wheel the better I say, regardless of what wheel. :)

VBR
@Matt Stephens - I'll chime in with my two penneth about wheels;

I've had a Logitech G25 since 2009, & it's still going strong. Only issues I had was with calibration; turned out to be a loose screw on the optical encoder board (the encoder wheel was & still is 100% fine), tightened the screw & have had no issues since. My brake started to spike, so I swapped the pot with the clutch pot & all have been fine ever since. Upgraded to the NIXIM brake & clutch mods (which are AWESOME). I also did the Chili Coke mod to stiffen the gear shifter which was an improvement.

I've had a Fanatec GT2 wheel which died on me after about a year; impossible to repair. I also had a Fanatec CSR which died in a year, & is also impossible to repair. I've also had a lot of Fanatec gear come through my hands during my "wheeling & dealing" escapades & have tried two GT3 RS wheels, & they both felt very different. My current Fanatec CSR just doesn't feel right, it feels different from my last CSR & I can't get on with it.

I've had several G25's & G27's come through my hands also, & they all felt pretty much exactly the same. There's more robustness & consistency overall in my experience. I currently have a G29 that is 2 years old this month, & it's still as good as new. No problems whatsoever.

I much prefer the feel of the belt drive in the Fanatec wheels, but they are far too fragile & prone to multiple things going wrong IME. Whereas the Logitech gear is more reliable overall, but is notchy feeling because of the cogs/helical gearing.

That said, if you get a good Fanatec wheel you'll have no problems, & if you get a bad one you will. Same goes for every other wheel out there including the Logitech's.

At the end of the day it's all pretty much a crapshoot. You pays your money & you takes your choice!

Thank you for the awesomely detailed response and advice :)
Looks like I’ll be picking up the G29 as soon as I can.
If I had more confidence that a Thrustmaster would last me then I might have considered it. I might get a Fanatec later down the line though, but probably not for a long time yet. Many thanks

Fair enough. For me the smoothness and extra torque is far more important and what makes me prefer the T300. Once you've been on belt drive wheels it's kinda tough to go back to a coggy wheel. Each to their own though, and the more people enjoying a wheel the better I say, regardless of what wheel. :)
Before I got a the TM I read all these comments about how big an improvement belt drive is. After a half year of use, I think this is vastly overrated in my opinion. The extra torque does make a difference though in force feedback. There is more contrast between the different forces and prevention of clipping. I did not mind the cogging that much in hindsight. The gears do feel quite direct and gives you this mechanical feel.

If Logitech used brushless motors and high quality meshed gears it might have actually rivalled belt driven wheels in smoothness. I am no engineer, but I fell for the hype that gear driven was "old" tech an belt was "new" tech. Logitech just never bothered to improve their tech. What did bother me was the deadzone in the middle, the hard to reach I/O ports and in a lesser way the knocking sound.

If Logitech built a G31 with perhaps metal helical gears, metal baseplate, larger ball bearings, efficient silent cooling, same reliability, a single brushless motor (or double if they tune out the deadzone like the Fanatec CSW), more torque (at least T300 level) and a removable wheel rim for a reasonable price.... I'd buy that.

Before I got a the TM I read all these comments about how big an improvement belt drive is. After a half year of use, I think this is vastly overrated in my opinion. The extra torque does make a difference though in force feedback. There is more contrast between the different forces and prevention of clipping. I did not mind the cogging that much in hindsight. The gears do feel quite direct and gives you this mechanical feel.

If Logitech used brushless motors and high quality meshed gears it might have actually rivalled belt driven wheels in smoothness. I am no engineer, but I fell for the hype that gear driven was "old" tech an belt was "new" tech. Logitech just never bothered to improve their tech. What did bother me was the deadzone in the middle, the hard to reach I/O ports and in a lesser way the knocking sound.

If Logitech built a G31 with perhaps metal helical gears, metal baseplate, larger ball bearings, efficient silent cooling, same reliability, a single brushless motor (or double if they tune out the deadzone like the Fanatec CSW), more torque (at least T300 level) and a removable wheel rim for a reasonable price.... I'd buy that.

Each to their own. :) For me the T300 was a mega improvement over my G27. Personally I can't go back to a notchy gear-driven wheel, the feel of all that cogging and the rattling noises just ruin it for me.

Each to their own. :) For me the T300 was a mega improvement over my G27. Personally I can't go back to a notchy gear-driven wheel, the feel of all that cogging and the rattling noises just ruin it for me.
It is good we have a choice. Too bad Logitech has no future plans in the consumer wheelmarket. Only having choice between TM and Fanatec isn't good for innovation and prices.

But going back too topic regardless if you are using Logitech, TM or Fanatec... The FFB on AC on PS4 is awesome! I really hope the new AC will see a console release. For me gameplay is king... So a little graphical downgrade is not be a big deal for me. I am no engineer but does the Unreal Engine make the graphics more scalable and portable?

It is good we have a choice. Too bad Logitech has no future plans in the consumer wheelmarket. Only having choice between TM and Fanatec isn't good for innovation and prices.

But going back too topic regardless if you are using Logitech, TM or Fanatec... The FFB on AC on PS4 is awesome! I really hope the new AC will see a console release. For me gameplay is king... So a little graphical downgrade is not be a big deal for me. I am no engineer but does the Unreal Engine make the graphics more scalable and portable?

Absolutely. I can’t wait to finally try out Assetto Corsa with a wheel. When I originally picked up the game I hadn’t really expected to wait this long before settling on and getting a wheel so there’s a lot of excitement to experience the game the way it was meant to be played :)

Absolutely. I can’t wait to finally try out Assetto Corsa with a wheel. When I originally picked up the game I hadn’t really expected to wait this long before settling on and getting a wheel so there’s a lot of excitement to experience the game the way it was meant to be played :)

You're going to love it! At first it will probably feel awkward and you'll probably be slower but give yourself a few days or a week to adapt to it and eventually it will feel as natural as an old pair of shoes. :)

Not a bad price, to be fair Box even have the G29 bundle with shifter for £179, £145 cheaper than the T300 on their site.
Thanks for the link.
Still not tempted by much else than the G29 after all the feedback, but contemplating getting the bundle from Box after seeing their price :) Haven’t seen many other places doing it with the shifter apart from Currys/PC World that usually have it for £219 (here in the UK that is)

For that money it's hard to argue against the g29. We have a g25 at work - it gets 5-10 hours abuse each week for over 2 years now. I picked it up 2nd hand. Apart from some spiking on the pedals due to dust, its been bullet proof. The FFB does fade when it gets used tho.

I have a t300rs at home, it feels much nicer but I am worried about it breaking. I wouldn't subject it to the abuse that the g25 gets. But I got that 2nd hand too and with 2 hours a week it's been fine too so far.

Does anyone know what the MGU buttons do / are for? thanks.

mgu.jpg

Haven't played in months, but did a few laps on the Nord last night. And...it wasn't as good as I remembered it was. Popped in P CARS 1 afterwards & much prefered the FFB & physics, which surprised me a little. It's still a decent sim, but imho P CARS 1 is better sounding & looking overall.

Hi everyone,

I've been playing AC on PS4 online with my friend for a month now. Usually I set up a private lobby and invite him. He has the Ultimate Edition and I have the regular edition with the season pass and some extra dlc. We have raced together before no problem, however today, whenever I invited him, it would take him to the PS4 store page for AC base edition after he accepted the invite. He invited me, and I got taken to the AC ultimate edition ps4 store page.

Things we tried/checked: Made sure that all the cars we selected for the lobby were not DLC neither of us had, trying just one car we've used before, closing application and restarting, changing tracks, and i got him to restore his psn licenses (I didn't do mine). No luck. Did anything change at all? It seems like it was just a handshake issue, but it's weird because we've been racing against each other for over one month.

@Rizzy13 as you said, I don't think it's a serious issue. It could be the connection, a specific handshake problem, maybe a problem on PSN side. It will work as normal again on another day I'm sure.

VXR
Now I have a wheel, I'm willing to try this again the next time it's on sale through PSN.
I think it is on sale right now. I checked the PS Store and the base game was like $23 canadian and the ultimate edition was $41 canadian

I think it is on sale right now. I checked the PS Store and the base game was like $23 canadian and the ultimate edition was $41 canadian

I'll check the UK PSN again, maybe they update worldwide sometimes. Thank you.

Damn, do im playing at the wrong time or are there school holidays somewhere?
Lot of...poor.. drivers out there on assetto corsa since a couple of days.
Most of them drive like idiots, like someone who just come from gt-s LOL
They cant even finish first corner without crash:lol::lol::lol:

Back