Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Thom Lee
  • 105,612 comments
Managing Mods and Transferring Everything to a Larger Hard Drive

I recently had to move my AC install from a 500GB SSD to a 1TB SSD. Even with LZX compression, my 500GB drive was already maxed out. This is because of all the wonderful mods being shared by the community, and a lot of work from the contributors to this thread.

I'm sharing some info and the software I used while this is all still fresh in my mind.

DISCLAIMER: Be careful and perform these suggested operations at your own risk. This is not the end all, be all guide on how to do this. Others may use different procedures and software.

LZX Compression
If you have Windows 10, LZX is an excellent compression algorithm. Not only do you benefit from it's 3 to 1 compression and free up hard drive space, if you have a faster processor, it does speed up launching sessions. To oversimplify what it does, the files are smaller and load faster from the drive, then the CPU decompresses them into memory.

Every time you use either option, it scans first for any files that are not already compressed, and only compresses those. So when you install new mods, you can run this compression routinely, and even select folders full of mods, most already compressed and some not. The fewer new mods you've installed, the less time it will take to compress them.

For compressing your AC mods, you have two options.

Option 1: Use the compression tool in Content Manager. This can be found on the Content > Tools screen (lower left in image below). LZX is selected as the default compression. Unless I'm wrong, I think this only scans and compresses DDS and Kn5 files in the cars and tracks folder. There are also other folders to compress to save even more space--more on that in Option 2.

upload_2021-3-7_6-43-55.png

Note the impressive compression stats and pie chart.

upload_2021-3-7_6-43-24.png

Option 2: Use CompactGUI[2]. This allows you to compress any folder you select, whether it be everything installed in your cars folder, or just one, newly installed mod. It can also be used to compress other folders in Assetto Corsa, such as the extension, textures, drivers, or any other folders that contain DDS and Kn5 files. DON'T FORGET these, as compressing these will substantially free up hard drive space.

Click on the light blue bars to select the folders to compress.

You can download CompactGUI[2] here.

upload_2021-3-7_6-47-28.png

upload_2021-3-7_6-48-14.png

Cloning Hard Drives

It's usually not a good idea to just copy files from one hard drive to another, ESPECIALLY If you've used LZX. In additional to other issues, when files are copied in Windows 10, apparently they're decompressed as they're written to the other drive. You may have 1.3GB compressed onto a 500GB drive, and if you try to transfer everything to a 1TB drive, it will fail. For this process, you need good drive cloning software.

Below are the control panel and utilities I used, and to successfully clone a 500 GB SSD full of compressed content to a 1TB drive takes about three to four hours, mostly waiting as the processes are completing. HDD drives will take a little longer.

Formatting New Drives, Extending Partitions, and Changing Drive Letters
If you buy and install a new HDD or SSD, you will first need to format it. In Windows, search for "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions." Select it, and this will load the Disk Management control panel. In the lower section, your new drive should appear with a gray bar-not blue as in the example below. If you right-click on it, select "Format" in the popup menu and perform a Quick format. There's an option for a more thorough format, if you feel it's necessary. If the drive is new, this usually isn't necessary, and it takes much longer to complete.

You may also need to return to this control panel to extend the partition that was created by the cloning software. For example, if you clone a 500GB drive to a 1TB drive, you'll likely end up with two partitions, and the drive in the control panel will show a gray area to the right. Simply right-clicking and selecting to extend the partition will allow you to use the drive as one single partition.

You should also return to this control panel to reassign drive letters. More on that below.

IMPORTANT: When using these utilities and following these steps, be very careful to select the correct hard drive. If you're not, you could format or clone to the wrong drive, and loose software or other files.

upload_2021-3-7_7-4-16.png

Cloning Software: Macruim Reflect. This is an excellent utility, there's a free version, and it's quite easy to use. Below each drive it finds on your system, there's an option to "Clone this disk..." Carefully follow the steps, and again, select the correct drive to clone to. Once cloning begins, and if you're cloning a drive with a lot of content, you can find something else to do away from the PC, but check the status bar during the process.

Macruim Reflect download link

upload_2021-3-7_7-5-53.png

DON'T FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE NEXT-TO-LAST STEP--extend the partition.
Read the paragraph above, just before the Disk Management control panel image.

THE LAST STEP
After you've successfully cloned your drive, then physically removed the old drive (you may also leave it installed-more below), leaving the new drive in place, you need to assign the drive letter of the old drive to the new drive. If you do this immediately after the physical swap and turning the PC back on, Steam and other software or utilities that were referring to the old drive should refer to the new drive correctly. I did this, and had no issues whatsoever. Steam immediately saw the drive as if nothing changed, and all shortcuts to software and content on the drive work exactly as they did before.

To do this, return to the Disk Management control panel, right-click on the drive, select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." and select the correct drive letter. It's okay to give the drive a different name, as long as the letter is correct. If you wish to continue using the old drive, be sure to assign a different drive letter to it first, then it frees up that letter to assign it to the new drive. After re-assigning drive letters, I recommend restarting your PC, just so it "readjusts" to the changes.

Identifying Physical Hard Drives

During this process, and especially if you have a lot of hard drives installed in your PC, CrystalDiskInfo is an excellent utility, and it's free (make a donation if you can). In addition to evaluating and reporting the status of the installed drives, it provides the manufacture name (if it's correct on the drive), the serial number, and other information. This makes it much easier to identify the physical drives when opening up the PC to remove or replace them. When you launch it, give it a minute to scan and assess your installed drives, especially if you have several installed.

CrystalDiskInfo Download Link. There's a lot of spam and some misleading download buttons on this page. The smaller blue buttons under the three Editions are what you're looking for. I downloaded and installed the Standard Edition--not sure what the others offer, other than background graphics.

upload_2021-3-7_7-20-22.png

Suggested Accessory Peripheral
This hard drive docking station, or something similar to it, is very useful for transferring data, or cloning and testing drives.

EZD-2535U3_PROFILE2.jpg

http://www.kingwin.com/storage/docking-stations/ezd-2535u3-2

Last edited:
Italy
Italy
we are friends we started creating together, this is his first track made, it works well but now the level of detail is increasing a lot on the new ones he is working on thanks also to my modeling on 3d objects (houses, billboards)

View attachment 995893

this is his second very real almost complete track in development
Morano - Campotenese hillclimb near to me in Calabria, South Italy

this is my cousin in the real racing

The free version of the Salerno Croce looks almost ok, i hope the full version is better developed because for 6€ the quality standard should be MUCH higher to be honest. I don't want to compare works, but 6€ are a lot of money for a track that (at least the free one) don't have full working ext_config (no RainFX, no LightFX) and have a lot of holes in the meshes and no VAO patches :-/

Btw keep up the good work man, we need more hillclimbs track

Last edited:
Fiji
Fiji
Yatabe Test Track - reworked

Yatabe Speedway was a high speed test track in Japan.
Surrounded by a lot of trees, but it were these trees who look imo a bit odd.
old_yata_left.png

old_yata_right.png

old_yata2.png

So I reworked them to look imo a bit better.
yata_left.png

yata_right.png

yata2.png

Added @DaBaeda cams and grass fx config part, thx for them. 👍 :cheers:
Extended the config with rain fx, some flashing lights, some tweaks. Added a vao-patch too.

Many thanks for @Fanapryde for testing the track and make these screenshots while reworking it. The final version looks now slightly different, missing yellow lines should be back again, some very dark trees now a bit brighter to match in better.
Hope you enjoy it. :)

https://sharemods.com/onunhs60f3fr/yatabe.7z.html

@SimRacing604 you´re not alone. We stand with you.
This was long overdue, that someone comments on such business practices and classifies them correctly for uninitiated users. 👍

Belgium
Belgium
anyone knows if there's an EXT_CONFIG with RainFX (and maybe LightsFX + VAO) for Dubai GP? Couldn't find a rainfx in the google drive folder

Last edited:
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Has it been deleted ?
what? it shouldn't have but it does have a new version in place of the old one - is this one not working for you?

ok as @jeffnghongda has pointed out the link i put had the post update at the end and yeah all good now. i edited my post just in case any one else had this issue.

thanks for making me aware of this

Last edited:
Italy
Reggio Calabria
The free version of the Salerno Croce looks almost ok, i hope the full version is better developed because for 6€ the quality standard should be MUCH higher to be honest. I don't want to compare works, but 6€ are a lot of money for a track that (at least the free one) don't have full working ext_config (no RainFX, no LightFX) and have a lot of holes in the meshes and no VAO patches :-/

I remember, that it is not my track, my gubbio is much more detailed, also I have just released a video with the slalom made on commission with the correct and almost complete ext, just some problems with the lights . U can see here

Fiji
Fiji
I remember, that it is not my track, my gubbio is much more detailed, also I have just released a video with the slalom made on commission with the correct and almost complete ext, just some problems with the lights . U can see here

Huuh, that trees in there seem to need some rework too, lol. :lol:
Sorry, wasn´t meant as bad criticism. Just saw them in your clip. Where is a link for that track?

Italy
Italy

Of course i'm referring to the other one, i've quoted both post but only yours was showd, so that's the point, btw i was speaking in general terms, even the point is still valid for him and for everyone else when money are asked ;)

For free, everything can be released, for me, in order to be "allowed" to ask money the standard should be at least closest to the LilSki's standard (which ask nothing) ;)

BTW i agree with @slider666, that trees requires a lot of work for match quality standard if you ask money for that track, if it's free, as said, you can leave as it is :D

Last edited:
Canada
Canada
evilgloomy
so lets be clear i think they will go after these mods next as these are the ones missing from their f1 collection :

F1 1991 :
link is in video
F1 1979
F1 1999
F1 1989

all of these exist for rfactor and or gtr 2

if someone would want to start here is the link of the 91 mod to start with

Most late 90s seasons are F1C converts, so their quality is only as good as a placeholder until a playable proper set appears lol. There are really only a handful of playable F1 seasons and none of them are from SD. Marc13000 here has reworked quite a few seasons and they are awesome. but due to SD being a reason, his updates were pulled from here I believe.

Portugal
Portugal
Yatabe Test Track - reworked

Yatabe Speedway was a high speed test track in Japan.
Surrounded by a lot of trees, but it were these trees who look imo a bit odd.
View attachment 996192
View attachment 996193
View attachment 996191

So I reworked them to look imo a bit better.
View attachment 996194
View attachment 996195
View attachment 996196
Added @DaBaeda cams and grass fx config part, thx for them. 👍 :cheers:
Extended the config with rain fx, some flashing lights, some tweaks. Added a vao-patch too.

Many thanks for @Fanapryde for testing the track and make these screenshots while reworking it. The final version looks now slightly different, missing yellow lines should be back again, some very dark trees now a bit brighter to match in better.
Hope you enjoy it. :)

https://sharemods.com/onunhs60f3fr/yatabe.7z.html

@SimRacing604 you´re not alone. We stand with you.
This was long overdue, that someone comments on such business practices and classifies them correctly for uninitiated users. 👍

What a huge huge difference! Thank you.

Fiji
Fiji
Of course i'm referring to the other one, i've quoted both post but only yours was showd, so that's the point, btw i was speaking in general terms, even the point is still valid for him and for everyone else when money are asked ;)

For free, everything can be released, for me, in order to be "allowed" to ask money the standard should be at least closest to the LilSki's standard (which ask nothing) ;)

BTW i agree with @slider666, that trees requires a lot of work for match quality standard if you ask money for that track, if it's free, as said, you can leave as it is :D
Upps, sorry. It wasn´t my intention to criticize that mod. Wasn't aware it is a paid mod at all. Just seen that clip and a lot of those trees triggered my some kind forester's soul. :D

Italy
Italy
Upps, sorry. It wasn´t my intention to criticize that mod. Wasn't aware it is a paid mod at all. Just seen that clip and a lot of those trees triggered my some kind forester's soul. :D

I don't know if it's a pay mod or not, but if it's, the fix should be mandatory. At least for me, i never ever spend any amount if the quality is not closest to LikSki standard, that's why i never bought a trackmod in my life except for the VRC oval or 1-2 other mods till now :D

Argentina
Argentina
Has everybody here flagged sim dream / assetto corsa mods you tube channel as scam, it might help put them down. Every little bit helps.

I filled two reports against 'em, using an alternative gmail account. Since it's a scam report I wasn't asked my legal name or anything, so you are all welcome to do the same.
You can find that option under the category "Hateful or abusive content" (against vulnerable individuals, such as modders). After you write a 500 letters reports, you can further specify the category as "scam".

Canada
Ottawa
I filled two reports against 'em, using an alternative gmail account. Since it's a scam report I wasn't asked my legal name or anything, so you are all welcome to do the same.
You can find that option under the category "Hateful or abusive content" (against vulnerable individuals, such as modders). After you write a 500 letters reports, you can further specify the category as "scam".

just hitting the 3 dots and choosing scam as one of the reason offered did it for me, took 30 seconds, no need to name myself or anything. If enough of us take the 30 seconds to signal their channel as scam, I have no doubt it will have a negative impact on Seam Dream.

Last edited:
Italy
Germany
The problem is that closing down their channel will not harm them much , they will open another one.

The problem is that their website is one of the first results you get when you type assetto corsa mods on Google.
So we need to do something about that presence they have there.

Warnings is the first step towards stopping them , so if RD and so on appear right above the sim dream search people will start to notice.

United States
United States

As
The problem is that closing down their channel will not harm them much , they will open another one.

The problem is that their website is one of the first results you get when you type assetto corsa mods on Google.
So we need to do something about that presence they have there.

Warnings is the first step towards stopping them , so if RD and so on appear right above the sim dream search people will start to notice.

Well Ive been trying to use the hashtag #cancelsimdream all over alot of the fb modding groups and discord groups so far. I really wanna try to get other youtubers and twitch streamers to get in board with this. Maybe lando Norris since he sim races alot

Finland
Helsinki
Madeena al-Bahar
v1.0
Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_rmi_madeenaalbahar_7-3-121-19-0-45.jpg Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_rmi_madeenaalbahar_7-3-121-18-56-4.jpg Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_rmi_madeenaalbahar_7-3-121-18-55-0.jpg Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_rmi_madeenaalbahar_7-3-121-18-44-33.jpg Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_rmi_madeenaalbahar_7-3-121-18-44-12.jpg Screenshot_mclaren_mp412c_gt3_rmi_madeenaalbahar_7-3-121-17-5-37.jpg

Madeena Al Bahar is a fictional 4.615 km long street circuit, located somewhere.... around Dubai.

Features:
- 20 car grid (15 car max AI please)
- LightsFX, LightsFX, LightsFX (did I mention it has lights?)
- RainFX, VAO, fully CSP dependant
- physical mesh
- gratuitous sky objects

AC Credits:
@Mitch9 - extensive mesh rework, textures and all CSP features including the incredible light show
@RMi_wood - track conversion, AI, graphical theme concept, etcetera
@DaBaeda - Cameras

Origin Credits:
Track created by MadCowie
GTR2 versions by BillBro and BenMK1*
*This track based on the GTR2 version by BenMK1

:: DOWNLOAD ::

: camtool for Madeena al-Bahar :

Last edited:
Italy
Reggio Calabria
Huuh, that trees in there seem to need some rework too, lol. :lol:
Sorry, wasn´t meant as bad criticism. Just saw them in your clip. Where is a link for that track?

the trees are my Achilles heel in this track, I had to change the shaders for the moment, in fact they are not in kstrees because after making several changes with 3dsmax they no longer receive shadow, so in shady places they remained too bright, I will find a solution and I'll fix it. For the link, at the moment it will not be released to the public is a work that was commissioned to me by the organizers of the real race, I advise you in any case to follow my various pages you never know that you decide to release it, maybe free

Furthermore, I want to clarify that over 90% of the objects and textures present on my paths are my creations, this means losing a lot of time.
If you don't want to settle, you have to go further ...

However, the resolution of the tree problem is already planned, which I had shown here in the construction phase but no one was able to help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Italy
Italy
this is helpful. Is this something you can do and post here as an update?
I could do it, sure. But since it's your mod I would suggest you to do it by yourself since it's just a few clicks, there isn't much knowledge needed and you would learn how to do that for the future. If you have any questions about it many people in here will help you on that but there's nothing better than doing things on your own on your projects

United Kingdom
Doncaster
Most late 90s seasons are F1C converts, so their quality is only as good as a placeholder until a playable proper set appears lol. There are really only a handful of playable F1 seasons and none of them are from SD. Marc13000 here has reworked quite a few seasons and they are awesome. but due to SD being a reason, his updates were pulled from here I believe.
Ponz aswell has done reworks on them scamdream mods. But they are brilliant reworks created.

United Kingdom
UK
I think people already said all there is to be said about this Ferrari, but man its really good....

ACtC-3cYPq2XnLUHOmdrC7mrxGEeIw7ibxm3YNlyQFWG50InWB_8OMWBekWxO2bFLuU7_tba4f05mYaTIsKRMBfO6ptcVMnO8ahgfoff96KmTrb7lkr9JOxP1HEhhYhFtLUSTGHz3_avgSOO7W4bQeuACtol6w=w2560-h1440-no

ACtC-3eKPFqs3bUB4Q2qYUSkVijN9VdiwpXK-BqJZAxTgFwsdpI8cJlBdy16y40HY6HZ4OlTQSzRj3EDEk0b8bI_qPb6WSl0fQgZi2vxfGox1ONtG7ETYw9u5XJIpxEOEp0kROaxsmQjlsCID5-DproxOECKGA=w2560-h1440-no

It's a fantastic mod, one hell of an enjoyable beast to drive!
In fact all this week, starting from Midnight tonight (GMT) @Bigfatluke is have an FileMissing... Time Attack Special at Goodwood!

You should pop a lap in, you don't need to join our discord to use our servers, so feel free to jump on and set a lap with Luke and the rest of us! 👍

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/assetto-corsa-hotlaps.397004/page-3#post-13368056
Untitled_Artwork.png

Last edited: