- 1,195

- Australia
I author some software that does this in my jewellery world, it examines meshes , finds creases, and uses an algorithm of mo creases == mo work to quote end users a manufacturing price from uploaded stls or nurbs based files. But, the sheer size of a photogrammetry project is insane (unless you do it in a heap of small bits and align afterwards. my algorithm sorts triangle by adjacent triangles and looks for those creases, not a lot of work to then make it isolate the areas enclosed by the creases and split them into individual faces, but, from a programming perspective its is daunting to say the least, you start to walk into the world of commercial reverse engineering scan meshes to solid, and that software can also run into several thousands of doallrs a pop.@TheRealCeeBee
Thoughts on breaking up a model for meshes...
a. buildings generally have right angles and are basically blocks
b. roads are generally flat
c. most non natural colors are not found in nature (roads, cement, buildings) - grass, water are also fairly a uniform color
So, If I had talent and software, I would find software that you can outline "things" based on some simple rules like a.b.c and "break" the scene into (at least) a few basic elements... to start.
If i ever get bored enough I may look at converting some of that code to python for blender, lord knows I do get bored sometimes
Last edited:
