Best Car in GT1

• Thread starter Zero
  • 642 comments
Is it truly because of its understeering properties? Or is it because of the FF drivetrain?

I can say that FF was great for me because i found it much easier to control than rear drive in my early days. Wheelspin is low in GT1 FWD's (not like GT4, man!), and understeer creates a definate boundary for newbs to avoid. Front drive has its downsides obviously, but it is much safer and more predictable for newbs than rear-drive. In my opinion.

Well said Parnelli 👍. 4WDs will also do the same job for newbs, assuming it doesn't have too much power :scared:.

Well said Parnelli 👍. 4WDs will also do the same job for newbs, assuming it doesn't have too much power :scared:.

Yup!

Well my very first Playstation car was a Ford Ka (in Empire Active's FORD RACING). In that game, you start off career mode in the slowest front-drive car Ford offers; the Ka. YOu do a couple races i think and then you move on to the Fiesta. And then the Focus, Puma, the Contour, Taurus, Cougar, and finally it switches to rear-drive cars: the Mustang....one i'm forgetting, and finally the GT90! :scared:

But see, at the time it was great for me to start with that Ka because it forced me learn proper racing lines and braking points....and i wasnt' very good at first! :yuck:

Well lucky you. You started racing games step-by step. When I started racing games the first game I played was the original NFS on PSX. And I jumped straightaway to using Lambos & Ferraris. Not to mention I was around 5/6 years old at the time. Oh boy was every race a wreck, I couldn't even accelerate properly. Not that playing NFS a lot would help, it's not a simulation game after all.

So the next game I played was Rage Racer. That's a bit better because, like you, I started step-by-step using slower cars (though I don't know what drivetrain it is, I think they're FFs). I used the Gnade, then Ages, then Assolutos (which're RWDs, tho I also can't say for sure). I got a bit better, but still very bad, it's only another arcade game after all.

Then I played GT1. First car driven ever: Silvia in Arcade Mode. Then NSX. That race was also a mess. Then I did some soul-searching before finally getting to my senses to use FFs first before any other drivetrain. So I practised with the Eclipse until I was confident enough I can handle RWDs.

Sorry for being extremely off-topic.

That kinda sounds like my nephew. He's fascinated with racing games, but he finally got his first "serious" one --Forza on the Xbox 360.

...and he immediately jumped to the fastest cars in the game. The Lambos, Ferraris, etc. But he's had several years of racing goofy kid's games like ATV Madness, so he's actually pretty good at Forza. Although he has a habit of using the 'cheater lines" that run in the track (tells you where to brake, steer, etc). He doesn't understand why i turn those lines off!

Yeah, my very first GT1 car was actually rear-drive...it was also a Silvia Q's. I bought it because it reminded me of the American version: the 240SX, which a friend of a friend had in my neighborhood. But i drove several front-drive cars during my early days as well.

And then i finally got in a Camaro. :scared: I remember i was at Autumn Ring. Every corner i wound up spinning out, man! And then it dawned on me: hmmm, i wonder if there's a way to make the gas & brakes VARIABLE...the way steering is...via analog. And sure enough i checked out the settings menu and that solved all my problems.

Well, the turning point for me from d-pad to analog is unintentional actually. You see, I had a habit of pressing the X button really really hard in the hope to squeeze as much acceleration as possible from the car by flooring what is theoretically the gas pedal as deep as possible. This, coupled with me dropping my dualshock a few times caused the X button to lose its sensitivity over time. It got to the point where no matter how hard you press it, the car won't move at all (i.e. the button is totally useless now). So I was forced to find another way to accelerate and like you, I checked the options screen and there it was....the ultimate answer that not only solved my problems, but makes me faster as well. Took me quite a while to get used to analog steering, mostly because I don't play radio-controlled cars a lot and I find it hard to use the 'mushroom' sticks. But I mastered it and now I drove really badly if I use the d-pad.

Oh yeah, i forgot about that. I grew up with Tamiya radio control cars, too. And they usually had 2 sticks on the radio box, so it's easy to set a dual-shock up in hte same manner.

Isn't the standard for radio-control to steer with the right stick, and accelerate/brake with the left?

My RC had the left stick for steering and the right stick for accelerator/brake. But then some RCs come with 'gun' remotes with wheels on the side for steering and a trigger for accelerator.

I still wonder why more racing games, even games in general, don't come with extremely flexible controller configuration such as [size=+1]GT1[/size] had. Even in the [size=+1]GT[/size] series there seems to be a trend away from flexibility. (The provision for configuring the analog sticks was quite dodgy in [size=+1]GT4[/size]).

But actually, strangely, the internal configuration format of [size=+1]GT1[/size] allowed even more flexibility. Using something like a GameShark, you could actually arrange, for instance, to have an analog accelerator but push-button brake. But, to all intents and purposes, the controller was fully configurable.

The fully-flexible controller configuration featured in the Demo (though not storeable, of course), definitely helped sell me on the game.

Aside from using analog sticks, another major change I like to make is R1/R2 for gear shift up/down.

You made a good point there 👍 More games should let you freely configure the controller, button by button, not offer 'sets' that just switches a few buttons here and there. A lot of racing games on PS1 offer analog compatibility, but only for steering, which is no use at all because my X button can't be used. I have to buy another non-analog joystick for those games 👎.

Gear shift as it is is fine for me (R2 for shift up and L2 for shift down), an addition that I would like to see is to include a clutch feature and use R1/L1 for clutch like in real F1 cars with their paddle shifter. Of course there should also be an option to turn this feature off.

That's true. GT1 & 2, you can configure it to do steering brakes, and gas.....all on 1 analog. which is great for someone who's got some sort of disability with one of their thumbs or whatever.....

Yeah I forgot that feature too. It's kinda confusing to drive with only one analog stick though, because all controls are mashed up into one.

Yeah I forgot that feature too. It's kinda confusing to drive with only one analog stick though, because all controls are mashed up into one.

I remember experimenting with this too, for a few minutes. It's not too easy....my racing lines would get all "wobbly" :scared: :lol:

:lol: Yeah I also messed up my lines when I tried it. You can't do 2 things at once with this setup, basically. So when you turn you can't accelerate/brake and vice versa.

Hey, Vat_man, how did you get your car so powerful? best I could do 955 HP from my R33 GT-R. and on this topic my fav car is the black Castrol Supra GT (with the blue/red decals) I won from the 300Km race

Since "Vat_man"'s last post here was on November of 2004, i highly doubt he'll answer your question.

Hey, Vat_man, how did you get your car so powerful? best I could do 955 HP from my R33 GT-R. and on this topic my fav car is the black Castrol Supra GT (with the blue/red decals) I won from the 300Km race

Gameshark probably. You can't get any more power than 955 HP if you don't use any cheats.

All Golds in IA license. There are 4 different colours, so you might want to leave an easy test till last so you can get all 4 using memory card trade.

I know this is going a bit off-topic, but has anyone got a time under a minute on Deep Forest? Closest I got was 1:03 with an RT/10 RM. Second was 1:05 with a Castrol Supra GT.

Yes you can. With the right car and setting sub-1 minute lap times are realistic enough :).

This is a time I posted in a tournament in another thread.

Yes you can. With the right car and setting sub-1 minute lap times are realistic enough :).

This is a time I posted in a tournament in another thread.

How heavy is your Concept Car? 600kg or 900? See, I've got a Japanese, American & European copy of GT1. Got three saves with different cars on them. mainly special models & RM'd cars. I'll need to go for that time now, if not beat it :)

Back