Codemasters - Grid 2 - 2013

• Thread starter tribolik
  • 2,229 comments
Cockpit cam is not included after polls indicating that 95% of users use chase or bonnet cam.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-08-grid-2-preview-no-assists-please-were-british

See ya grid 2. Maybe grid 3 eh. Lol.
Codemasters never stops dissapointing.

I don't believe for a second that 95% of potential users don't want a cockpit view. There's just no way! The research was either extremely biased, inadequate or manipulated to support Codemasters' wish to save money and work. I'm not one of those 'down with this sort of thing' types but I'm concerned that if this game sells well without cockpits then we can expect to see other devs dropping them too.

So, yeah. I'm disappointed, I won't be picking this up until the Christmas Steam sale in 2014.
Spot on. Just listen what they've to say about it (~3:27).

Well I was going to consider this game. Liked Grid 1.
Now I am not.

Last edited:
I don't really understand all the hate yes the lack of cockpits is bothersome but I'll live with it and I can't understand why every racing game must be ultra-super-mega-hyper realistic I'll probably be getting this when it comes out

I love racing from the cockpit. It has become my chosen view for racing.

Bet you after five minutes of playing Grid 2 I totally forget about it, because I'll be having fun.

Hmm.. Need For Speed:Grid anyone? :indiff:

I'm not going to make a decision just yet because it's too early, but I am quite worried that we've still not seen or heard anything about 'real' racing cars/series. The lack of cockpit view is disappointing, though I think I can probably live without it. As long as the money saved has been spent wisely then it could turn out to be quite fun.

Lack of real racing series could come down to licensing costs. They would further save money.

Safe to say Grid 3 won't be this gen.
Maybe that's why they haven't bothered with cockpits because they will/might have to start again next gen anyway.

How come gamemanufacturers never heard of proper marketing? Those stupid interviews with producers and programmers who can't stop talking about how amazing this game is.

It really pisses me of they can't find a better way to gives us info and anticipation.

Bleh

I'll pass on this. It's 2012 Codie's cockpit view should be a given especially when your trying to give the player a feeling of racing wheel to wheel.

I loved grid but I have a really bad feeling about grid 2.
The trailer also gave us a lot of crashes but seemed to avoid showing any damage.
I think it's because damage will be disappointing compared to grid.

I wish I'm wrong but the lack of cockpits I think is only the beginning.

I don't want to write this game off completely yet...however, I didn't see a single real racing car in that trailer, in the interviews they haven't mentioned real racing cars either. Just 'sports cars'....not holding out much hope in this case! I won't be buying this without the real life racing series - it's part of what made the original GRID so good.

Also, lack of cockpit view is disappointing. I enjoyed it on the original GRID and I must admit I always use it on other games if it's been implemented properly.

Codemasters are not ones to support their games after release.
They seem to have changed into a company of maximum profit for minimum effort.

oavuwm.jpg

k36b75.jpg

149um2v.jpg

So far I still want it. The trailer was bad in my opinion, and the lack of cockpit view will be missed, but I never really used it for more than a lap at a time, just to see what it's like. So, you can complain and not buy a game because of one stupid little lacking feature, or you can get over it and have fun like I will.

However after the poor quality of Showdown I'm slightly worried. Don't get me wrong, Showdown is fun, but they really didn't put a lot in to it, or at least it didn't show.

Grid was a blast racing for other teams and hiring your own drivers so I dont really care about physics as long as its fun.
But Grid was the first game that I played that got me into cockpit view which makes me sad that they are dropping it. I really feel like their 95% of gamers wont cockpit view is kinda BS....:grumpy:

The more I m reading about this, the more it turns out to be everything I did NOT want a new GRID to be. Only thing missing for a total fail is powerups... Yeah, I know they re not done yet.:indiff:

The more I m reading about this, the more it turns out to be everything I did NOT want a new GRID to be. Only thing missing for a total fail is powerups... Yeah, I know they re not done yet.:indiff:

Could you Imagine if some of those cars & tracks made it into pCARS??!? 💡

By the sounds of some of the comments on here, people have already played the full game and know everything about it. If you don't find it interesting, then don't buy it instead of incessantly whining about a minute-and-a-half announcement trailer that doesn't show what you want it to. We all knew it wasn't going to be realistic, so by god why people are complaining about that I don't know. And no cockpit view? Yes, it's something I would like to have seen, but not exactly an essential racing-game feature is it? As long as I can see one part of the car I'm okay with it.

For me, first person view is absolutely essential to gameplay. It's the only view I've used for years. I can't go back now. Sure playing Gran Turismo 2 with chase cam is fun but I'm not buying a new game without cockpit view. Thats just the honest, plain truth. The driving view is just too important for me to overlook.

I loved Grid and still do. But no cockpit means no sale.

Last edited:
Gosh, I hate gamers. Always crying over something small. I actually believe that 95% bit of information. Sure, the real reason might have been the time and money, but, with an arcade game like Grid 2 and Shift...I bet hardly anyone uses the cockpit. I know I didn't in Grid 1, nor did I in Shift 1 & 2 nor in Dirt 1, 2 & 3. I do wish they wouldn't have even brought it up until AFTER the game was released though. Most people wouldn't even noticed it until then. But, I guess they're just getting the crying out of the way.

Biffy
And no cockpit view? Yes, it's something I would like to have seen, but not exactly an essential racing-game feature is it? As long as I can see one part of the car I'm okay with it.

It's not essential, no, but it's a big step back and their 'market research' sounds, to my mind, like a complete and utter fabrication. I was ok with Burnout Paradise lacking cockpits, was sorely disappointed by NFS Hot Pursuit following suit, but at least they never claimed to be doing it because only 5% of the people they surveyed actually wanted cockpit view. That's just an implausibly low figure so something is definitely not on the level.

The truth is, I'm bitterly disappointed because I wanted this game to be good, I was looking forward to having another solid racing game to play because you can only run sims for so long before you just need a toy to unwind with. I could've lived without cockpits if I thought they were being honest about why they're leaving them out, so I guess I'm put off of this merely on the principle that I just don't trust Codemasters like I used to; Dirt 2 made me think 'hmm, hang on a minute, I don't like this' but I got over it. Going from TOCA to Grid was another dubious moment but again, I got over it and ended up enjoying Grid. Dirt 3's Incomplete Edition scam really knocked my confidence in them but I was willing to see where they went after that before writing them off completely, I happily ignored Dirt Showdown as a download-only digital toy... But now I feel like I'm being lied to again.

Rant over, I don't like to be 'that guy' but this is a forum for opinions and this is just mine. I promise this is the last you'll see of me in this thread as I have nothing more to add, though I'd appreciate a nudge if they do backtrack on the no cockpits thing.

Edit: this was posted before mine, so -

SuperShouden
Gosh, I hate gamers. Always crying over something small. I actually believe that 95% bit of information. Sure, the real reason might have been the time and money, but, with an arcade game like Grid 2 and Shift...I bet hardly anyone uses the cockpit. I know I didn't in Grid 1, nor did I in Shift 1 & 2 nor in Dirt 1, 2 & 3. I do wish they wouldn't have even brought it up until AFTER the game was released though. Most people wouldn't even noticed it until then. But, I guess they're just getting the crying out of the way.

It's much easier to just say 'Well I don't care about it so you're all pathetic and wrong'.

Maybe no one uses cockpit. Thats fine. But I own Grid, Dirt 1,2,3, Shift, and Shift 2 and use cockpit view for the lot of 'em. I aint crying. I'm just stating my opinion. If Grid 2 doesn't have first person view then it's not a game for me.

Last edited:
SuperShouden

Obviously in the 95% bracket then.
Don't patronise the 5%ers please.

I reiterate what I said earlier in the thread. Not every game needs to be a simulation based on a real series.

We have so many sims coming out over the next year it will be nice to play something a bit more casual. Lets face it, Toca/Race driver games have never been about simulation racing regardless of what series they did/didn't feature.

Obviously in the 95% bracket then.
Don't patronise the 5%ers please.

I'll patronize the 5% if they whine and cry about it like 3-year-olds. So it doesn't have cockpit, boo-hoo. Yeah, I maybe in the 95%, but I still think it kinda sucks that they isn't a cockpit view in Grid 2. But...I'm not going to waste everyone's time complaining about it in a thread.

This really is the Internet/Gaming Age: we won't lift a finger to change the world for the good, but we'll whine about it on Facebook.

I'll patronize the 5% if they whine and cry about it like 3-year-olds. So it doesn't have cockpit, boo-hoo. Yeah, I maybe in the 95%, but I still think it kinda sucks that they isn't a cockpit view in Grid 2. But...I'm not going to waste everyone's time complaining about it in a thread.

This really is the Internet/Gaming Age: we won't lift a finger to change the world for the good, but we'll whine about it on Facebook.

Your whinning about whinning. :rolleyes: I find that a bigger waste of time.

Latest Posts

Back