"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Aug 3, 2020.

1. TJC_69

TJC_69

After completing sport mode in early June, i've not had many tries on it after they ruined the penalty system once again. However, I will return to it when they revert this system, (which they always do after making it too sensitive).

Until then i've been having great fun running and streaming public lobbies on YouTube. Clean racing lobbies and building up the channel with clean guys.

Definitely a great alternative whilst I wait for the inevitable penalty nerf.

Hope to see some of you guys there sometime. Everyone welcome as long as you're clean and finish races :cheers:.

LVS_1986, Pigems, PirovacBoy and 3 others like this.
  2. ILLEAGLE_34

ILLEAGLE_34

What brake balance are you running? +2-+3 is working for me with slight throttle and brake on the cornertit wants to get loose or is it -2 or -3. Bb toward the front. Brain to awake yet

Pigems likes this.
  3. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens Premium

It's not a penalty, it's a "here are a bunch of free victories" for faster people, while robbing those that are at that lower pace at a chance of a victory themselves. It's penalizing those at lower DR by putting faster (and often more reckless) people in among them.

A drop in SR is already a bonus for faster dirty drivers, yet that's a problem with how matchmaking is done. It should not use the highest DR rated drivers from a lower SR bracket to pad out the left over spots of the lowest DR rated room in a higher SR bracket. That's again penalizing the drivers that actually drive clean while rewarding those that drive dirty with easier races.

No more DR resets and when needing to fill up spots in a higher SR bracket, resort all the rooms in that SR bracket to put everyone in order of DR again. Thus A+/99 with A+/89 and D/99 with D/99 instead of A+/99 with D/99 and room 2 A+/89 with D/99.

4. kungtotte_

kungtotte_

Yeah the penalty system on contacts is pretty haywire in my experience.

Cutting penalties is *mostly* okay with the biggest issue being consistency, and sometimes not accounting for if you actually gain time or not.

But contacts... Oh boy. On Nurb GP I was P2 going into T1 on the first lap, guy in P3 was racing clean behind me no worries there. When I was about half a car length from the apex I got T-boned by a Toyota who pushed me all the way into the sandpit, used my car as a bumper to guide himself onto the track again and kept racing with no penalties or even losing any positions (in fact he gained quite a few with that maneuver!).

Meanwhile I'm stuck in the sand with a 1 sec penalty for forcing another car off track.

That's just broken. Like, I'm sorry my door touched his bumper when I was being T-boned off track, I swear it wasn't on purpose.

5. ILLEAGLE_34

ILLEAGLE_34

You should really learn the benefits of no tcs and what bb can really do to the Characteristics of what he can do for the handling. It will up your game greatly. There’s a few guys on here that make guides and they are tits. One man opinion. Cheers. Try using throttle and brake slightly at the same time for corners that the car want to slide.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    dlshearon, Pigems and Jason885 like this.
  6. biftekman

biftekman

One idea to counter this would be to introduce a temporary grid penalty. I'll explain with an example:
    Let's say I'm an A+ DR with SR99. Then I make a mess and drop my SR to 85. Now here's the trick - instead of dropping me to lower DR lobbies and essentially giving me free victories, put me in the same A+ lobby, but with 1 second penalty on my qualifying time, so make me drive in the back with drivers on my level. But what if I'm a sore looser and I make even more mess? Just ghost me then for the whole race until my SR improves. It shall be known as a ghost of shame :D :idea:

JudegeBerry and Pigems like this.
  7. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

To me in order to have fun online racing in a game likes this I’d be ok with (contact? random minor pen to both involved)
    The only reason I would is because it would create fear of contact.
    Fear of contact is essential in a game like this or else we will be back to barging and diving and wreckfest.
    Re the system...How many players in an FIA game have read the FIA sporting code driving behavior section? I think it’s like page 39-41 in the sporting code.
    If you read the limited words they use you can tell it’s conceptual re racing incidents and obviously human officials make the decisions.
    I think that the system is trying to reflect on those principles...
    I believe it mentions driving erratically, driving slowly, and keeping the car on track.
    It says overtaking can be done on right or left also drivers should not hinder other drivers.
    To me that’s saying like you can’t block pass, you can’t swerve block, you can’t block, however you can defend.
    If you go defensive in f1 and return towards the racing line you must leave a cars width to track edge.
    I just think overall from what I’ve seen lately in my races there’s way less contact and people are racing much better.
    Before defending properly was pointless.
    You’d get barged or punted.
    I just think for so long the game lost its way allowing nonsense bash passes to become normal jmo.
    FWIW imo the best system would just be #shared fault in an online environment because if drivers are allowed contact fair racing is impossible and it turns into road warrior.
    I’ve had way more fun lately and I can tell player behavior has changed to cleaner. Imo that’s a good thing.
    Before it was terrible imo and I’d only race sporadically.
    Online if there’s no fear of contact it’s just no fun.

#shared fault

Yeah I put it to the front but to me makes it understeer, plus I don’t brake and gas at the same time.
    The car imo still has a physics balance problem in low speed corners like remember at games release the rs01 had big time physics issues on certain hairpins .
    The Ferrari is far too unstable imo. Also yeah mr tcs is unusable mostly.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    tttao, dlshearon, Tea_Leaves and 2 others like this.
  8. ILLEAGLE_34

ILLEAGLE_34

Each his own homie. Just putting it out there. Hope to see you on the track. But your in the uk or whatever the acronyms are for that region. Sorry that was for that Jason####. Still having trouble way to navigate this site

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020 at 4:19 PM
    dlshearon, Pigems and Groundfish like this.
  9. sturk0167

sturk0167

Yup. I agree with that. I entered the Alsace race yesterday on my main account. I was at A+/99. The guy starting behind me in P2, had a Q time that was almost 3 seconds slower than mine. :confused: He was DR B. Everyone else was B/C/D. If it wasn't for the ratings hit, I would've quit before it started.
    Maybe some of those guys were trying to get their first win. They damn sure didn't need me in their race. Winning that race, didn't make me feel good. I would much prefer to have a bunch of other A+ people in my race, and finish 4th.

It could be that hardly anybody was signing up for that race, and we were the only SR S drivers available.
    Either way, it's really not fair for the lower ranked people. There are probably a lot of them who end up quitting the game, all together.
    I bet they would rather have DR be the primary factor for matchmaking, and take their chances with SR.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    tttao, dlshearon, Tea_Leaves and 6 others like this.
  10. Jason885

Jason885

Agree, I must admit its much more fun when it's close from top to bottom, it's a race then down to driver skill.

11. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

Off the top of my head what if matching could only ever match within one dr grade.
    So d could only ever face max cA only A plus or b and so forth.
    So if no one at your levels is playing you’d get no race tho. Edit or just have a 2 player minimum, at least in that case if there’s 2 A plus they could battle, if it adds to wins so what.
    Re resets maybe they could enforce a starting time penalty a very severe one...
    Let’s say an A plus is reset-now there would be say a 30-45 second pen enforced at the start. So instead of free wins they’d be massively behind with a choice to trundle around, regain sr, or risk it and try to catch but knowing they gotta be clean...
    Just throwing it out off top of my head...
    Further maybe if you drop down in sr next races you get time penalty APPLIED AT RACE START.
    So A 99 drops to say A80 in one race boom next race your ghosted in first gear for the time penalty at race start, then the race starts FOR YOU. Everyone else is already goin.

Edit it’s total bs that a c and an a are in the same race period.
    When I started this game CS bs rooms and dd were full and it was great.
    It’s gotta be demoralizing now for new players...
    Oh yeah sport mode is so fun when you enter and get timed out after spending ten minutes driving alone...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020 at 4:58 PM
  12. meekrab

meekrab

Yeah, nobody really does race A, for one most of the time the race combination is boring (if we get FF Gr4s at Autopolis one more time...), it's under 10 minutes long, if you get punted to Narnia your DR is going to the basement because you just donated 160 points to 10 people...

dlshearon, Pigems, O604 and 2 others like this.
  13. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens Premium

Seems like nobody is doing race C either. The one at 11 AM (EST) just now matched down to SR.B, A+/S on pole down to D/B. One A+, one A, some Bs, some Cs, mostly Ds in the race. I started at DR.B SR.99. (was doing great about to catch 3rd place but got disconnected again, huge DR loss in that room)

Is Suzuka that popular or are people done with sport mode...

I thought you didn't like people racing from the back :) I don't know what the solution could be, there simply aren't enough people playing. (on the Americas server) I just know that DR resets only make things worse and putting 89 SR 40K DR drivers in rooms with 99 SR 10K DR drivers to fill the room should have been fixed long ago.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020 at 5:00 PM
  14. sturk0167

sturk0167

For people like me, race A is often the best option. I'm usually pretty lousy with the faster cars.
    I think my reactions are not as quick as others. People wouldn't want me in a Gr.3 race with them, anyways. Normally, I end up rear-ending a bunch of cars in the braking zones. :(

15. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

Race A is super fun with some of the best battling, but I doubt it’s fun for a D player not to even be able to finish it and get timed out...That’s total bs. Better to have a 2 car battle at low use times than that imo.

Sven Jurgens, Pigems and sturk0167 like this.
  16. O604

O604

Probably a combination of things. Like end of FIA season. Repeats of combos. Harsh SR deductions. And heat.

Race A has some of the best racing when you get the All-Stars there. Always clean, always fast. Sometimes you get like 3 top 10 times on 1 grid.

17. JudegeBerry

JudegeBerry

People need to fear contact. Have a combination of #sharedfault and also have a cap on the max SR raise you can achieve in 1 day. So if I go out and trash my SR - that impacts the next weeks racing for me. I liked the grid penalty idea as well.

Others have talked about steering wheel angle and throttle position when contact takes place. I would have thought it was possible to at least detect drivers punting by going into a corner too fast and then colliding with someone else. Sideswipes - well if you are on the straight it is hard to justify why you would need move across into another driver.

Or how about having a BOP multiplier based on SR. Obviously it is not realistic but I bet people doing the ramming would not be so keen if they knew the next race they race their car would be at 80% power.

18. Mudda Chod

Mudda Chod

Completely agree on all this.

GTWolverine and Pigems like this.
  19. Stencedaddy

Stencedaddy

I was really feeling suzuka last night. Weird to think i used to hate it. Feels nice when you get spoon or 130R just right.

20. Mudda Chod

Mudda Chod

One penalty always makes me scratch my head... The T-bone of Revenge. Really, how hard is it to calculate that the offending car.....
    1. Has not braked at all
    2. Is doing twice the speed of everyone else into a corner, without any intention of actually going around the corner without contact.
    So ghost that F'er so he goes straight into the wall and your race is unaffected.

Seriously, how hard is that to calculate, for a game engine that reasonably represents understeer, oversteer, suspension dynamics, trail breaking, track slope/grip etc.... FFS!

21. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

In place of dr reset enforce starting grid penalty, done.
    It’s not rocket science.

Mudda Chod, Stencedaddy and dlshearon like this.
  22. MIE1992

MIE1992

I gotta admit, I'm thinking of "retiring" from GT Sport. It's not so much that I'm legitimately bored with it, as much as I'd really like to get around to other games (and other media) in my backlog, like Ace Combat 7. I may check-in to GTS if there are more substantial updates - such as if they add more content to the livery editor - but I don't foresee my activity being as frequent as it used to. I also might check out some daily races depending on the setup, but I think the setups I'd be interested in are very rare, and would be something other than how we usually see them, being either one-makes or allowing every car from the featured class. For example, I'd really, really like to see a Gr.1 event that limits you to the Group C cars within the class, or perhaps another Gr.1 event could limit you to the three 2016 LMP1 racers that are in the game.

Overall, I stand by the idea that many features of GTS - and perhaps even GTS itself - are a taste of bigger and better things to come in GT7. There's a lot of potential to expand on the livery editor and the mobile app alone, as well as the social media system and other features. I do look forward to it, but for now, I think I want to take a break and play something else for a change; I've been almost exclusively playing GTS since Spring 2018! So I think it's time for a change of scenery for me - that is, of the virtual kind. That is, unless GTS obtains notably substantial additions/changes in an update, which seems quite unlikely at this point in its life.

First up, I'm likely gonna get around to the PS4 re-release of Ace Combat 5!

23. Fennario

Fennario

Given that we're only 3-4 months from the PS5 launch and GT7 is expected to be a launch title, I wouldn't expect an interim update to GTS physics/tracks/penalties/etc. The thing that may happen is a final update to (i) optimize GTS for PS5, and/or (ii) allow for a blended sport mode with players from GTS and GT7 competing in the same events against each other (would require adding tracks to GTS)..

dlshearon and Stencedaddy like this.
  24. Stencedaddy

Stencedaddy

Those guys get ghosted in low rank lobbies but gts is coded as if that doesnt happen as you rank up and ghosting basically is turned off. I dislike ghosting as much as the next person but we need something.

dlshearon and Sven Jurgens like this.
  25. watto79

watto79

The really irritating thing about this is that the game CAN calculate exactly that. At DR E ramming is essentially impossible as you'll get ghosted every time. But as you move up the ranks it becomes fair game apparently.

Stencedaddy likes this.
  26. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

Streaming some daily race stuff, you get to pick my car :D!