"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jan 13, 2020.

1. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

Almost all of those slides were involuntary, the one deliberate one spun me right in front of you. :lol:

I don't think tyre wear is the main problem, a small slide overheats the rears so you have no grip. If you take it easy for a few corners they start to come back but it's so sensitive.

2. SpaceMaN47y0

SpaceMaN47y0

Race A time down to 1:01.131 and that was a dang near perfect flyer for me. Rewarded with pole but just can't hang on for a win. Getting some fastest laps too. Stupid slow car racing.

Qyn, K1LLD0z3R, ToddSalad and 4 others like this.
  3. astrarobotica

astrarobotica

Switching to manual is absolutely worth it even without fuel consumption. In some corners your speed might be right on the threshold of changing gears in automatic, but it will slightly kill your momentum, so manual is good for maintaining a single gear throughout a corner. It adds another layer to think about, but it ultimately gives you more control. It's like turning off stability control. Yes it will be more difficult initially, but you will be faster once you adapt to it.

It's not that difficult honestly. I mean it might be a good idea to learn it against the AI rather than in sport mode, but it probably wouldn't take very long to get used to.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 4:27 PM
  4. SpaceMaN47y0

SpaceMaN47y0

Terrible picture but first time ever 3 star win! 20200121_092948.jpg

Edit: holy crow 2 in a row. I guess this track and combo suits me.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 2:52 PM
    Redneckchef, Qyn, K1LLD0z3R and 15 others like this.
  5. Voodoovaj

Voodoovaj

I think the wheel spin is more of culprit than anything, but yes. I even have to short shift the RCZ. It's tight for some cars. It's definitely a moderate fuel saving race.

Oh I hate that one. I find it random. I have had it happen in Time Trial mode as well.

I am speculating that it is somehow connected to the tire smoke on hard braking. They added that a few version back, and it looks cool, but I wonder what they are doing to set it in motion since it doesn't happen all the time.

The "fuel races" isn't the problem. No offense, but if there were no fuel burn, you would still be several seconds off a good pace if you were in the 2:41's. You should be able to lap under 2:40 even on map 2 or short shifting.

I would spend some time trying to sort out where you are losing time because it isn't a fuel issue.

Make a really long custom race with tire wear and fuel use and see if you can get your times down. Be sure to see what the BoP is for you car so you can replicate it in the custom race.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 3:03 PM
    Pigems likes this.
  6. SpaceMaN47y0

SpaceMaN47y0

Dangit @Pigems if I'm not busy I'll have to at least run race A Friday with you guys. I might be competitive for the first time since, well, last time it was this track :)

I finished 4th in the Fiat vs you guys and was ecstatic.

Qyn, K1LLD0z3R, sturk0167 and 3 others like this.
  7. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

Round two at SpaTA. I did some qualifying laps with the Viper, couldn't beat my R.S.01 time without a 0.5s penalty, but I did beat it with the penalty, and optimum was 2s faster than my qualifying time.. apparently I'm capable of a 2:40.xxx :eek:. Went in with full wets, and started P4/17 on a mixed grid of DR/D and C. 3 x Porsches in front, another couple scattered further down. I was the only Viper.

Race starts and once again I'm stupidly in the middle of the chicane :banghead:. I manage to dribble round with the merest fraction of throttle then mashed that down as soon as I could see I wasn't going to end up on the astroturf :odd:. Clean getaway and enough of a gap to take T1 without getting rammed. I was short shifting not so much to conserve fuel but more because it seems to be more stable. Picked up a 0.5s penalty at Raidillon, passed the guy in P3, then lost the position entering Les Combes because I forgot this wasn't D1 (and the judges say "one more time!"). Then Things went a bit pear shaped exiting, and I lost control, veered across the track, side slammed the wall (but no 5s penalty), kept it going and dropped another position.

There was a bit of a tussle with the Supra in P5 for a large chunk of the lap after Peuhon, and on to the second lap. By tussle I mean we were trying *not* to hit each other often side by side. Another second penalty at Blanchimont, so when I hit the penalty zone, off the Supra went :crazy:. The chase was on! Having caught up to the Supra, I stayed behind him, but the draft sucked me in and I didn't brake early enough. I tapped the Supra, and the guy behind me tapped me. The Supra recovered and went on his merry way, I was spun out and dropped back to P9 :scared:.

Back to the chase! I soon caught up to P8, who cracked up under the pressure and went off. I was right up the rear of P7 doing the same thing. They chose to pit and it's only the end of lap 3! Someone else spun out on the start finish line and I guess another had pitted too, I found myself in P5 going round T1 :eek:.

I maintained P5. The gap in front and behind meant that it was unlikely to catch P4, and P6 was far enough behind that I could just focus on not spinning and staying on the track.. Then P6 I see yellow flags and I pass P4, then he teleports off the map... I guess he rage quit. Then it was just a matter of making it through the last laps without coming off or spinning out. Bizarrely, the last two laps of the race were also the fastest :lol:.

Here's a screen shot just as I'm exiting the chicane to give you an idea of fuel usage and tyre wear. Tyre wear was heaps better and more even with the Viper than the R.S.01.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200122015748.jpg

SR blue, DR went up 800+. Another day above DR 1 :dopey:.

Leftcurl, Qyn, RacingGrandpa and 4 others like this.
  8. Dairyworker

Dairyworker

Was able to trim my time for race a slighlty. Soooooooo many laps that come up just short.
    15796200935631510946466.jpg
    Not often i see my name above @Pigems great lap man, and @sturk0167 And @Mistah_MCA ,also thanks for the ghost

Gonna throw myself around brands for a bit now, i might try the rain, maybe, i don't know.....

Leftcurl, suprajef, Qyn and 8 others like this.
  9. SpaceMaN47y0

SpaceMaN47y0

Holy crap my time is that close to you guyses? I'm up to C! Whooooo!

GTS companion has me at 227th in the region. What?

6th, 14th, 15th, 18th, 19th in the region. Impressive friends!

Qyn, dlshearon, RacingGrandpa and 5 others like this.
  10. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

That's a quick time. I did maybe 4-5 races in DR C last night, and your time with have been the pole in all but one of them. Weeks like this are nice for those of us who aren't savants, haha. I had a week at Tsukuba where I was routinely beating DR A guys. I've lost a lot since then. A lot, hah.

I will say that having a bunch of you guys from this thread in my friends list is an ego-killer at times, though, haha.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    Qyn, dlshearon, RacingGrandpa and 3 others like this.
  11. beegentoo

beegentoo

Depends on the region you‘re in. Top time here in EMEA is 2:32.911 as of now.:crazy:

12. SpaceMaN47y0

SpaceMaN47y0

I just won with mostly Cs. I gotta keep playing while I'm winning, right?

Any tips for Qualifying even faster? I've got TCS on 1or 0 depending how it feels that go round. What about brake balance? Definitely don't use 2nd gear, ever.

Qyn, dlshearon, Leftcurl and 2 others like this.
  13. Dairyworker

Dairyworker

@SpaceMaN47y0 i used tcs 0 and bb-2. I found a solid exit from t2 is essential, even more important than the final turn

Qyn, K1LLD0z3R, dlshearon and 3 others like this.
  14. Pigems

Pigems Premium

Agreed, I’m at BB+2 though. Great lap man! :cheers:

Great Work @SpaceMaN47y0 !! Congrats man! :cheers:

Qyn, K1LLD0z3R, dlshearon and 3 others like this.
  15. sturk0167

sturk0167

I'm pretty sure I tried all 11 possible BBs yesterday.
    I could hardly tell the difference. All I know is that +5 doesn't work so well for me, because if the back end slides out, momentum is killed.
    I ran nearly identical times between using +3 and -3. :confused:

ToddSalad, Qyn, SpaceMaN47y0 and 4 others like this.
  16. Voodoovaj

Voodoovaj

For the most part, this is normal. For many cars you don't "notice" much difference, but the consistency in your laps will show it.

I like to use the GR3 Huracan as an example. Quite often, BB 0 is it's fastest setting, but it's also SUPER inconsistent at that setting. BB -3 is consistent, but not as fast. Somewhere in there is a sweet spot. You have to find the right sweet spot for you because it's not necessarily the same for others.

I have seen people use -2 on the GR 911, but I run it on 0, especially in the rain race.

You have to pick one that seems to work best and work with it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    Qyn, DelboyD, Tea_Leaves and 3 others like this.
  17. SpaceMaN47y0

SpaceMaN47y0

Ha nice I was just going to say seems like -2 is the sweet spot for me. Got another win, that's 5 today, but I need a little break. Doing Q runs between races I've gotten to .1 a couple times but can't beat my lap. Must have been a good one. I'LL BEST IT THOUGH!

I wanna be in the 1:00.s really bad

Qyn, Pigems, dlshearon and 4 others like this.
  18. beegentoo

beegentoo

I think I‘ll pass this week. Race C would have me start with a Q-Time of 2:41.02 and that was with the Porsche. I tried others but especially for the R8 throttle control is impossible with the DS4. The Porsche has a nice long gearing and makes it easier in lower gears.

For race B: I never really liked Brands Hatch: too many sweeping corners which usually tend to make people brave leading to crashes.

Guess it‘s a week off with practice only.

Qyn and Pigems like this.
  19. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

Hahaha I was talking about Maggiore. Yeah, things are definitely tougher over there. Spa is also a different beast. It took like 20 laps just to be comfortable running on rain tires as someone who had never done it before. I'm hoping I'll be able to shave some time off today. My qualifying time/fastest lap is right around yours. @Mistah_MCA also posted his lap guides, and there are at least 3 corners on the track where I was using the wrong strategy to survive, so that'll definitely help. Check out his videos if you haven't yet.

Qyn, Pigems, dlshearon and 1 other person like this.
  20. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I love Brands, unfortunately we need penalties to strike fear in people, otherwise some just runs you off.

Qyn, barak181, FeD_989 and 4 others like this.
  21. dlshearon

dlshearon

For some reason its the same with Spa this morning. A lot more dirty than yesterday. Good to see some familiar names this morning though.

Qyn, FeD_989, Pigems and 2 others like this.
  22. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

Yeah, I got the blunt end of a German Kraftwagen this morning....

Qyn, dlshearon and Pigems like this.
  23. astrarobotica

astrarobotica

Well I won two in a row at Spa today. I'm starting to wonder if a lot of people just aren't using full wet tyres? My last race I won by over six seconds to someone who was rated much higher than me, afterwards someone asked which tyres to use and they said they were using inters...

Last time we had Gr.3 at Spa it was dry, and I did fairly well, but I never came close to actually winning a race. I'm not sure why I'm doing so much better in the rain than everyone else.

Qyn, Invisigoth, dlshearon and 2 others like this.
  24. sdi_03

sdi_03

Race A q time. 1:00.626 BB1

Quite nice little car. :lol:

Qyn, Mc_Yavel, DelboyD and 4 others like this.
  25. 05XR8

05XR8

Did a race before I head out. Love this real type of scenario. Moved up three spots. Don't know how we were lapping players up to 14th position.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Qyn, Invisigoth, K1LLD0z3R and 3 others like this.
  26. Voodoovaj

Voodoovaj

I use a DS4. My Q time is (currently) 2:35.990. I used the R8 (no TCS BB 0)

Practice light throttle application in first gear to get used to it, but it's not that difficult to be progressive on the throttle. I only use first gear in two places (T1 and at the bus stop chicane). Second gear is the minimum everywhere else. You can also use the short shifts to your advantage to calm wheelspin.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 7:30 PM
  27. Johnnyboy532

Johnnyboy532

Well I switched up from the Mustang and took some other cars out qualifying at Brands. My old favorite the Genesis surprised me. Aside from the fact I love them and drive a 3.8 R spec doesn't make me biased lol. 10 mins into driving and playing with the brake biased I put in my fastest lap by far, 1:30.19x. I was .2 slower in the first 2 sectors then normal so I know I can now get into the 1:29's. I had to share before I went to work entertaining tourists.

K1LLD0z3R, 05XR8, Pigems and 3 others like this.
  28. 05XR8

05XR8

Mustang has exceptional off-throttle turn in. A product of it having one of the stiffest suspensions in Gr.4. That strength, coupled with its torque in 3rd gear, really help on tight twisting circuits.

29. Deadpool

Deadpool

First lap in RSR 2:36.532. I’m liking my chances here lol.

Pigems and RacingGrandpa like this.
  30. O604

O604

Got a good room to race today. Race A. Started pole. Finished 2nd. Good racing.

2nd pole this week. Reached the 20 pole position achievement. I had forgotten and given up on most of the achievements. :lol:

DelboyD, 05XR8, Invisigoth and 4 others like this.