"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by MOPARbarrett5, Jun 17, 2019.

1. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Decided to see how I stacked up in Race A qualifying. After 32 laps I could only muster up a 1:11.894 with an optimal of 1:11.786. Kept getting slightly faster sectors at the beginning of the lap and then would screw it in the last corner. That many laps in a row burned me out so I'm gonna chill for the night and do my first race tomorrow...

Dairyworker and Pigems like this.
  2. SAMHAIN85

SAMHAIN85

:cheers:

Good to see you back in the saddle

sturk0167, Pigems, Redsea666 and 3 others like this.
  3. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Best. Finish. Ever.

4. GT5Power

GT5Power

I'm afraid you'll have to switch to manual for this one. The majority of the time, short shifting is the far superior fuel saving strategy compared to playing with the fuel map. The only exceptions are cars with no power in mid-range RPMs.

About fuel economy races in general... I've thought about it, and I've come to the conclusion that they can only force a pitstop on tires as it is right now. If they make fuel last for half of the race when driving normally, we'll just have these fuel saving trains where everyone's just sitting in each other's slipstream in FM6. Fuel should barely take you to the end, so the element of fuel saving is still somewhat there but not to the extent that it is right now (you can only go 80% distance if you drive normally). As for tires, people tend to go for the least possible amount of stops, even if this means they'll end up driving around like my grandmother towards the end of the race. I think that's because pitstops are too long and lose merit. To me, the time taken to get to your pit stall at La Sarthe seems enough to drive through the pitlane twice over.

Bottom line, people usually opt to save fuel or tires rather than make a pitstop and drive more aggressively, which is unenjoyable but would likely be improved if pitstops were made shorter.

5. bdubclub

bdubclub

Those were the days... Lots of talent on those grids back then.

Pigems and Redsea666 like this.
  6. Kuraudo

Kuraudo

Daily B.
    I never liked Interlagos (I "can't see" the infield corners :( ) but I tried it with the Jaguar (whooa...slippery) and the Viper.
    I made a few really stupid mistakes (first corner too wide and spun out on the grass at least three times...) and my favourite: ran wide on corners to leave room for the others avoiding contacts, even if I had the position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mistah_MCA, kjeldsen, Pigems and 2 others like this.
  7. DanSHW

DanSHW

Squeezed a couple of race Bs in last night, decided to run from the back in the first, so ran two and a bit laps without actually completing one, ended up starting 14th with three other non qualifiers. Took it carefully, held off behind a couple of battles and got a little bumped, but nothing serious, had a little scare on the final lap when the Z4 I was following span in front of me at the first corner, but dodged him, taking 5th in the end, even getting close to 3rd and 4th by the line.

Got in a couple of quali laps before the next race started, with a scrappy 34.2 getting me 3rd on a full C/S grid behind an Italian in a GT-R who'd won the first race, and an AMG Merc in 2nd. The GT-R didn't get a good run through T1&2, and had a wide line through T3, so the AMG got past along the straight, and pulled back to the right before T4. The GT-R then got his braking a little wrong, and tapped the back of the AMG, sending him off the road, and earning the GT-R a 5s penalty. He was all over the road for the rest of the lap, so I couldn't get past, but was into the lead when he served the penalty next time around. Had a couple of seconds gap to start with, but not having won many races, I still get a little edgy when leading, so wasn't at my fastest, and found a Spanish 911 right behind me by the end of lap 3. Went for firm but fair defensive driving, fortunately he kept it clean too, definitely had opportunities to bump pass me but didn't, and I managed to hold him off to take my 6th win, with a clean race star to boot.

Pigems and Kuraudo like this.
  8. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Premium

Good day all. I have created a bit of a track guide for La Sarthe/Le Mans for this weeks daily. This isn't a direct track guide, brake here, turn here etc. It's a bit more general purpose to give you ideas to use different marks around the track and how to approach the corners. The track walk is a little long winded, but hope someone finds it useful. I would like some feedback on these if they are useful and I will look to do more in the future. As to not go off topic, I would like responses that aren't in line with the daily races just sent to me via PM please. Thank you :)

9. JakeJortles

JakeJortles

Small update: Fro Race C I have my quali time down to a 3:21.5 in the Alpine, but for the time being, I’m switching back to the Toyota for the races.

A question for those who have done it: Can you actually race properly with the Alpine, i.e. how much fuel saving do you have to do in race trim before its inherent top speed advantage (~25kph before the first chicane) is nullified by the Hybrids’ superior acceleration?

Ben Hunt and Pigems like this.
  10. Brzlav

Brzlav

Can you somewhat competitively use one of the Gr. C cars in Race C (upper B/S ranges)? I like the TS050, but I can't see the first Apex in the Dunlop Chicane properly - and I hate all cameras that are not cockpit.

If Gr. C cars are not an option, I'll stick to race B and hope for proper fov adjustment options in GT7...

11. JakeJortles

JakeJortles

Just came back from a phenomenal race with a guy in a 908 on my main account. It would be a lie to say that I was the faster driver (the 908 banged in a 22.8 as a fastest lap, for crying out loud), but I was a bit more consistent and kept myself in contention thanks to a few well-timed penalties and mistakes from the Peugeot. The lead swapped a few times, but things came to a head on the fourth lap.

I was leading by the smallest of margins going into the Ford chicanes. Now, I’ve pretty much tiptoed aound there in the races for fear of a penalty, and I guess the other guy wasn’t expecting that, so he bumped me from behind as I started to brake. No ill intent from either one of us, but I was “rewarded” with a 2s penalty & an SR down, while the 908 went off and had to reset. Super annoying, but I was in the lead with a ~7s advantage. My penalty and the long straights got the 908 within 3s, but I held on in the end.

I think in terms of pure racecraft, this is probably the best victory I’ve had so far – not that I’ve had many, this was my 12th on my main account. Things were competitive, but always fair, it was just a shame about the collision in the end. I guess I’ll have to practice the chicanes some more.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019 at 3:27 PM
    Invisigoth and GT5Power like this.
  12. RZQSPEED

RZQSPEED

Earlier in the day, I started from 10th and finished 3rd, but the guy that started 11th went up to 2nd because of my cowardice with the track limits out of the part after the Porsche Curves. Car used is an Alpine VGT '17

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    Invisigoth likes this.
  13. golfer07840

golfer07840

Welcome to my world. It's totally different back here. LOL

The idea of having to need new tires and refill the gas in a 42.3 mile race seems so contrived to me. It's why I don't bother with Race C races much.

In reality, as an example, the Audi R18 got approx 7 miles to the gallon. So for Race C, the gas tank only has 6 gallons? I understand what PD is trying to emulate, but, again, just seems so forced.

And I'm sure I'm in the minority with this line of thinking.

GT5Power, sturk0167 and Sven Jurgens like this.
  14. Ian JB

Ian JB

Is it me?

I am off work for a few days, so I have been doing some of the daily races - Everyone - and I do mean everyone, is being sooooo well behaved! No crash bang wallop, no dive bombing. Its been superb fun.

I have even managed to get up to 6000 points!!!

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

NB - I am looking for people to race against. If anyone wants to "take me on" I would be delighted. PSN; IJZ8501

sturk0167 likes this.
  15. Voodoovaj

Voodoovaj

Even in races where the fuel stops are necessary, conservation is still the way to winning. There have been countless times where I came into the pit with a decent lead only to be beaten out of the pits by folks who conserved fuel.

BTW, I was in the new physic thread. Seriously, I don't get the uproar. Whenever there's a change, I just deal. Maybe, maybe, it's because that what I had to do in reality. If I changed tires from Michelin to Pirelli to Bridgestone, etc, all I could do is deal. A change in corner approach here, maybe a change in suspension there, whatever. People pay a lot of money to go to the track and complaining leaves you standing alone in the pits while everyone else gets on with it. I consider us lucky because we can play with the brake bias and usually adjust the car's behaviour to cope.

As an example, the Mazda Atenza Gr3. I did decent times in it for a win this morning. I run it at -4 BB, which may seem extreme, but I find it get's into the corner on trail braking very nicely and the lack of rear braking force tames the spinning tires on corner exit. If someone is having issues, I suggest doing some test laps to see if you can get your favourite car to act to your liking. Top tip: It's no longer a direct "left" to add understeer and "right" to add over steer. I find each car is unique in how much force it needs one way or the other.

Landy1264 likes this.
  16. sturk0167

sturk0167

I've on done race C (twice), so far this week. I think more collisions are caused by mistakes, than dirty driving. The people who have the most accidents, are those who struggle with car control. A good number of those folks don't want to bother with a Gr.1 race.

In my 2 Lemans races combined, I've only had contact with another car once. I bumped into the back of a Peugeot 908 when exiting the Dunlop chicane, because he spun his tires in front of me, and my car has AWD, so it pulls hard out of the corners. I had the same issue last time we had this race. I have to pick a different line for corner exit when certain cars are in front of me, because a few of them don't get going so well.

From my experience, it's been clean, so far. I've been starting near the front, though, so Sven may have a different perspective, racing from the back.

Voodoovaj and Sven Jurgens like this.
  17. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens

Just drive what is fun to drive even though it's not competitive. Actually in the morning consistent 3:33 laps in the R92CP can still get me to the podium.
    [​IMG]
    Penalty free, but so much ping pong and avoiding at the beginning, no crb.

The race was chaos in lap 1, here's the first part.

So many red ratings with a few players dropping to SR.C and SR.D.

18. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

The dark circus has come to town, and in the ring, 16 clowns! Another night amongst the cabbage smelling freaks that frequent la Sarthe. Went in with the Merc, wasted too much time trying to work out Tertre Rouge without getting a penalty to do enough laps to improve upon the time set last night with the Jag. BTW, Tertre Rouge is still a 50/50 shot :crazy:. I started P8/16. Slightly more balanced with 8 DR/Ds, a C, an A, and the rest Bs. Mixed SR/A-S.

Another crappy start about to enter the second chicane when auto drive lets go. I got jammed up at Dunlop and dropped a few places by the time I hit Mulsanne. Between the handling and fuel saving, there were times when I thought it would have been faster to get out and push :rolleyes:! I stayed mostly on the track which helped, and managed the no stop. Picked up a few 1s and 0.5s penalties along the way, but still managed to claw back positions to finish P7, much to my surprise. I still have yet to actually finish a race across the line rather than time out. The race timed out just as I was braking for the Fixed-Or-Repaired-Daily chicane.

SR went up 4 and I got back the DR I lost from finishing second last, last night :dopey:. Another day above DR 1 :eek:.

sturk0167 likes this.
  19. meekrab

meekrab

Pitting to refuel seems contrived, but half the field having to dial back their fuel map to make the end doesn't? :) FWIW, I'd prefer longer races with overlapping start times, but maybe there aren't enough players for that.

sturk0167 likes this.
  20. Voodoovaj

Voodoovaj

Actually, no. Given that most governing bodies limit fuel usage, short shifting and fuel map adjustments is the norm in most forms of racing. Maps are also used to govern the power delivery to conserve tires.

The fuel and tire wear multiplier simulates a longer distance to accommodate the average person's time availability. For instance, if Race C were 6-8 hours of real time, there wouldn't be many people able (or willing) to dedicate that much time on a regular basis.

If they were indeed full length races, the cry on the forums would be to add races of shorter distances with fuel use, and tire wear, multipliers.

JoeyLeonine likes this.
  21. O604

O604

Noob question. If you go off track on La Sarthe and try to get back on track, accelerating from 1st gear, do you turn TCS on or just throttle control? I suck at this and am trying to work on it.

sturk0167 likes this.
  22. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

The new grip model has made interlagos a tad frustrating, the times are still there as before but I just cannot get on the gas exiting the S curves like I used to. I'd eat people alive in the Aston through there but now I have to delay the throttle or she understeers off.

23. Dairyworker

Dairyworker

Had 4 great races at tsukuba this morning. Again, great, clean, hard racing. There was one incident in my second race where a guy bombed me in T1 lap 3, not sure if it was deliberate or not paying attention mistake, but he bounced off me into the infield grass - 5 second penalty for me :odd::irked: Fourtunatly he didn't affect me that much and the penalty seemed actually fairly minor. I still got back to third and put down my fastest lap of the morning after, so it didn't really affect my opinion of it being a great morning of racing. I even got to share the track with @Oshawa-Joe (i think, mismatched names get me confused lol) in my last race, not that i was able to actually race him though lol I'm not that fast yet

Invisigoth and Oshawa-Joe like this.
  24. Oshawa-Joe

Oshawa-Joe

It was me on that last race. Getting in again.

Dairyworker likes this.
  25. Leftcurl

Leftcurl

great philosophy to go by and great to see that mighty beast wading through traffic :tup:

26. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

Knew i recognised you from somewhere .....

27. BallPtPenTheif

BallPtPenTheif

Is it better just to press the Option button and let the game ghost you back onto the course?

28. sturk0167

sturk0167

Couldn't tell ya. If I ever go off track, I'll let you know. Just kidding. :lol:
    I've been using AWD cars, so I don't need TCS or throttle control. If you're driving a rear-wheel drive Gr.1 car with no TCS, then you're already better than me. :tup: