"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Feb 15, 2021.

1. MidnightRun85

MidnightRun85

Turns out all you need is two guys who can put in a fast lap but are having a bad day at the races and you'll end up with a win! Both of them lost it on the first lap and ended up 6th and 9th from 2nd and 1st!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  2. Little_Guppy

Little_Guppy

[​IMG]

I find this track fascinating and even more so with the high downforce cars. Turn 9 and 10, in your map, pose a special challenge in Group 2 as the fast lappers have minimum corner speeds of 170 and 150 kph respectively. That requires trusting and leveraging the high downforce nature. Both corners need to be taken with lighter-than-expected braking in order to maintain speed.

Next up is the 90 degree turn 1 as it leads onto the longest straight. The target for the minimum corner speed is about 125 kph and it is critical to get the car squared quickly for full acceleration. And throw in some unclear track limits just for fun.

3. Groundfish

Groundfish

4. Trone_Colby

Trone_Colby

Yep. I didn’t expect it but I’ll take it.

5. meekrab

meekrab

Are the T1 track limits at RBR messed up again? It seems like if you let off the throttle at all while you're on the apron it considers you to have slowed down enough not to deserve a penalty for going wide, I saw one driver run more than a car-width wide lap after lap without a penalty... :boggled:

Pigems and dlshearon like this.
  6. Groundfish

Groundfish

There’s just NOWAY I can stomach RBR.
    On my side I think I will run qual laps in every gr3 this week.
    Last night I went from DE to BA and was on the cusp of regaining S rank on my alt when the stupid system crushed my dreams as a driver was side by side to me after the hairpin through the left so I lifted and went way onto the left side of track to let them overtake but they inexplicably went onto the grass on the right then came totally across the track at the apex. I copped two seconds and sr down then the system decided I was Satan and I got another sr down at the hairpin next lap without contacting a car!
    Sure hope they fix this mess.
    Right now if you take a hit or two the system starts blaming you more, it truly thinks you are the devil incarnate.

sturk0167, NosOsH and Pigems like this.
  7. OJBrit

OJBrit

Aren't you though?

NosOsH, Pigems, dlshearon and 2 others like this.
  8. Groundfish

Groundfish

Lol. Sometimes...Last night though I felt like...WHY PD WHY?!

8B9BA3AD-4235-4DFF-94C0-1946F675AAC9.jpeg

Pigems and dlshearon like this.
  9. NoStopN

NoStopN

I played tons of Spy Hunter. Why else do you think I'm so good at Wreckfest?

10. Rexracer702

Rexracer702

I will accept blame, and I remember ALL of those games. I was the first person I know with a video game at home. Dad was in the semiconductor business, and I had PONG in 1972 ('71??).
    Anyway, they all sucked compared to GT. After watching Tigney's feed, I'll do some laps on hards, and run a 1 stop. I don't see how I can loose 8 seconds running the hards for 5 or 6 laps, with traffic and all.

11. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

Absolute lottery, no idea what calls for a penalty and what doesn't, last corner not much better

Pigems likes this.
  12. 05XR8

05XR8

Yeah, unfortunately, someone got a penalty from us two just brushing each other.

Pigems likes this.
  13. foolsgold74

foolsgold74

Long time lurker but thought it was about time I contributed.

Real life has got in the way so far this week but Gr 2 is always pretty entertaining.

Last week's selection was nice. Lost of ton of SR in my first Monza outing when I inexplicably decided I could sneak up the inside on almost every turn! Spent the rest of the week repairing the damage with some cautious efforts that almost always resulted in gaining places.

But the odd dabble in the dirt race A slowed the recovery! I was 2 corners from a CRB in race A at the weekend but couldn't resist leaning on someone to hold onto a hard won 4th place!

It's nice to see a range of folk on this forum and some who are around my old-man slow level (moving from C to low B Dr) and the videos of hot laps and track guides from the high end drivers are a huge help.

Basically, what I'm saying is this is a great resource thanks to you all.

NosOsH, Mudda Chod, OR_2020 and 14 others like this.
  14. foolsgold74

foolsgold74

I can't beat having Pong in 1972 (I was minus 2!) but I think the first racing game I played was this on the ZX Spectrum in the early 80s

A long way from 4K HDR:lol:

Groundfish, Pigems and 8l23ub like this.
  15. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd

Last week at monza was the same, cut a corner thinking it's pen time and nothing, clip the same corner on another lap thinking your well safe and pen. It should either be you cross you get pen or no pens for anything. I've done it on purpose when I've really mucked up a corner and know I can save over a second by just crossing it rather than basically stopping to get round it properly and because I've already lost a little time I'm safe IT'S STUPID.

Pigems, BalsBrother and OJBrit like this.
  16. Raceourse42

Raceourse42

me too, tidgney and mistah mc do really good track guides.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
  17. crusselz

crusselz

Unless I'm mistaken, the yellow curb marks the limit on whats permitted. As long as your inside tyres, don't go over the yellow "sausage", you're fine.

Personally, the quickest line through there. Puts me right on that edge.

Pigems, DefInfinity and meekrab like this.
  18. meekrab

meekrab

Yes, that's what should be allowed, but I've seen people going way wider without penalties.

Pigems and crusselz like this.
  19. crusselz

crusselz

Hahaha. Got my time down as low as I could. Can't for the life of me, imagine how people are getting away with that. :confused:

Pigems likes this.
  20. Rexracer702

Rexracer702

I've thought about this a lot, and I think it may be one of the reasons I do so well (laptime wise) at the Tokyo tracks. There is no doubt about track limits there, since it's all walls. I don't have time to run all the corners on a track 8 different ways to decide what the limits are, so I usually play it safe in most places, which can cost a lot of time some places. I wish they would just be consistent. How about no part of your outside tire can touch inside the curb at the apex,(or opposite when exiting). I don't care what the limit is, or what the parameters (line outside the curb, line inside the curb, tire touching, tire goes over, whatever) just make it the same so we know, Or create a line that shows the limits, and let us know the parameters ( can't touch the line, can touch but no part of the tire over, can go over, but some part of the tire has to remain in contact) I hate the guessing game, and the stress when you're waiting for the penalty flag to pop and ruin your race.

As to RBR, T1, the best I can figure is you can't go past the sausage up to a certain, unknown point down track, and you won't get a penalty if you lift at some unknown point, for an unknown time period, or if you only get back on the gas after some unknown point. It's actually very simple!:rolleyes:

Pigems and foolsgold74 like this.
  21. Little_Guppy

Little_Guppy

It is a bit of a puzzle and I have never heard a fully satisfactory explanation for that corner. There are at least four variables that need to be considered:
    1. You go out of bounds (OOB) before the entry by putting four wheels on the green paint on the outside left. Keep two wheels on the red/white curbs and you are OK.
    2. You cut the corner over the yellow bump and grass. Keep two wheels on the red/white curbs and you are OK.
    3. You run wide past the yellow sausage. If you keep two wheels on the inside of the sausage then you are OK.
    4. Any or all of the above could be forgiven if you slow by some unknown threshold.
    :crazy:

My unscientific observation is that you are forgiven if you manage to pull to the right and get back to the tarmac before the thin white horizonal line near the end of corner.

It makes a tricky corner even harder.

Pigems likes this.
  22. ASH32

ASH32

What's their Dr level? I know in the past it used to let even B drivers (nevermind lower) exploit the track here more than A but that was when the limits were really stupid. :crazy:

Also it's possible that they may not have ran wide there, it's just where your console thinks they have gone, even the replay can be different to in race. Last week at Monza I saw one driver cut corners all over the place without penalty, when I checked the replay they didn't cut any on that. :lol:

:gtplanet::cheers:

23. Rexracer702

Rexracer702

Same with cones. If you have them on, they can mess up your race if you hit them, but if the guy in front of you has them off and hits one, you see him bounce, but he doesn't feel a thing.

Pigems likes this.
  24. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

@05XR8 man I know who that is in the black GTR without the names. Can be a fast racer, but really aggressive both in passing and defense. Anytime they are within 0.3 I pretty much know they are driving next braking zone. They are pretty quick with a late block too.

D_Dragline, 05XR8 and Pigems like this.
  25. 05XR8

05XR8

You have an "eagle" eye. Yeah, that player can be "razer" quick. ;)

26. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

You got it. :tup:
    Had a good battle or 2 with them over the last couple FIA seasons, but still dont have a lot of trust with them. Been pushed and dived on too many times to feel like I can race door to door and be safe.

Pigems, D_Dragline and 05XR8 like this.
  27. 05XR8

05XR8

I do my best to qualify a couple cars ahead in Manu. If I start behind, no biggie. Sometimes, depends what car they choose for nations as well.

Redneckchef and Pigems like this.
  28. D_Dragline

D_Dragline

So it's not just me he dislikes.

Although, I came across him a few times at Monza last week without incident.

Any time I'm in an FIA split with him it means I'm out of my depth anyway. Generally just watch him (and everyone else) sail off into the distance.

05XR8 and Pigems like this.
  29. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I saw an interview with a FIA representative about this. It's supposed to emulate a real race track limit decision, in the way that you are only given a penalty if you gain time..so if you run wide but lift and coast back you won't get s pen bit if you cut and put the hammer dawn you will.

30. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

Nonsense, you can beat me plenty and I've thrashed him a few times. Just load it up and drive. You're faster than you think!

D_Dragline, 05XR8 and Pigems like this.