"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Left tyres on tarmac on the inside, right tyres on rumble strip on the outside. Unless the moon is waning and Scorpio is rising, then it’s each to their own.
You forgot the wind has to be from the Southwest and more than 5 knots.

A mix of results today.
Race B seemed to come at me first today. Set a decent lap but then discoed after matching.
Ah well, to Race A. It seemed good on first glance. Lined up 9th. Got a decent launch but as I turned the first corner I must have been on the blue apron as I started to oversteer. I controlled it but it put me DFL. I managed to catch up to the Italian ahead. A few laps later I had the inside of him in turn 2. He came across me though and span out. (After some of Italy's antics last night I wasn't going to loose sleep.) A couple more spinners got me back to 9th. I was only a couple of seconds off the lead but the stronger slip kept them at a distance ahead. I just don't feel a race here in equal cars does anything. (And that isn't my anti oval bias.)
Onto Race C. Started 11th annoyingly right on the last corner so guarenteed me a lost position already. I felt good on my couple of qualy laps but in the race turn 3 and 4 just loose me too much time. I initially slipped a few places as I was pushed wide at turn 4 one lap. (They ended up in strife later anyway.) I got a BS penalty at Rindt for taking the racing line. Still when all was said and done I ended up 9th, so not too bad. I do like the GT-R but I'm not sure I'll enjoy this race too much. There was a lot of barging going on.
Back to Race B. Started 8th. Dare I say it a clean turn 1. From there a few people had penalties and 1 quit outbraking themselves into 1 and getting reset. I finished 4th half a second of gaining another penalty place across the line. I didn't overtake on track at all. I do love Monza so may spend most of my racing here this week.

I miss the old penalty system. After getting punted both races, I went rogue the second half of my last race, and got payback on everyone. No penalties at all. Crazy.

Race C has some potential. Hopefully it cleans up a bit. What’s the deal with the NSX? It has the European top 10 board totally covered

After practicing in FP for Race A for about an hour, I did 2 races. Got pole for both, led all 14 combined laps, and won both. In both cases, I simply made sure I got through T1 cleanly with a good exit, while everyone behind me tripped over each other. In the first race, it didn't quite work as well as I'd hoped, as a couple cars managed to stay in my slipstream and I won by only 0.420 (HA!) seconds. My 2nd race though I managed to break the slipstream out of the final turn on Lap 1 and eventually won by over 6 seconds. Still couldn't get fastest lap in either one though...

I miss the old penalty system. After getting punted both races, I went rogue the second half of my last race, and got payback on everyone. No penalties at all. Crazy.

Race C has some potential. Hopefully it cleans up a bit. What’s the deal with the NSX? It has the European top 10 board totally covered
I tried the old Nsx and it was nearly undriveable so went to the new Nsx not expecting a lot and was pleasantly surprised to find it was a great deal of fun. It's a very different technique to get the best out of and keep the tyre wear even front to back. Haven't tried the other gr2 cars yet and I'm not particularly interested in trying the 'meta' gtr till the end of the week when I go looking for a fast practice time.

I've been trying the 1 lap medium / 13 laps soft meme strat on race C and actually had some decent results 👀 I managed a win from 18th on the grid, and later on a podium from 20th in a full A+ lobby. It isn't pretty at the end though as the laptimes drop from high 20s to low 23s 😂

1626159466392.png

Usually you run neutral to slightly rearward brake balance on this combo, but the rears would never be able to go 13 laps like that so I set it to -4 and just really looked after the fronts. You're unlikely to make any on track overtakes after lap 1, but trying to keep cars on fresh tyres behind in the second half of the race is fun and you can get a result out of it 😅

At least that wear looks balanced. This way, the car is bad overall, not just trying to manage poor fronts or rears.

Race B is too good. The Veyrons feels their superior because of the road car and the RCZs feel they're superior because...
I've been the only one in a Viper and would love to see the reactions of the other drivers as I'm right with them.

Going to try the Huracan, 458, GT-R, EVO, F-Type and ugly Citroen.

I tried the old Nsx and it was nearly undriveable so went to the new Nsx not expecting a lot and was pleasantly surprised to find it was a great deal of fun. It's a very different technique to get the best out of and keep the tyre wear even front to back. Haven't tried the other gr2 cars yet and I'm not particularly interested in trying the 'meta' gtr till the end of the week when I go looking for a fast practice time.

What PD did to the 08 NSX is so bad its just a waste of data on the disc.

Decided to jump in on race A for a bit. Only ran in NA as there was someone I was looking to find. Races were pretty good affairs overall, but there is some chaos with the slidey boy and those turns. People talking all kinds of wild lines and drifting that thing to make it work.

Seen a couple of dodgy drivers. But after 1 slammed me and some others into the wall a few times I got them back doing the same move to end the race. Next race they were clean as could be. And they were faster that way. Much more fun racing the clean round. It seems some people are thinking everyone is going to play nasty so they're preemptively punting. Might have to give it a rest, but it is fun slinging that car around there.

This Daily Race C is still one of the best combinations in my opinion! Interested to see if any unusual strategy options become viable, here's my experience of starting from the back on softs:

Looking for a little guidance here folks.

In this weeks Race C I have no pace whatsoever.

My best, and it is a one off, is a 1:24 on softs in the GTR. I have tried the Lexus and I’m slower. My last race had a guy on pole with a 1:21.

My race pace is even slower, running 1:25/26 at best.

I use a ds4. Left stick steering, R2 brake, X accelerate. I have always used this set up. It is habitual and alternative key bindings are proving impossible to use.

As it stands, Gr1, Gr2 and some Gr3 have to have at least TCS 2 or they spin up wildly on acceleration.

Do any other pad users have any advice?

I use a pad, old school with X and square and the arrow buttons :lol: My qualy is a 21.4 and if I get it right i'll get into the 20s. I use TC2. Pad is not the issue, there's a user here who uses the controller and he is A+ rated.

I'll be blunt, 1.24 means you have a LOT of pace to find, easily, that's the good news. You are likely losing a lot in turns 1 and 3, especially 1. Turn 1 needs to be taken FAST, in general RBR is all about exits, go on the gas earlier than you think you can, especially at the tight turn 3 right hander.

Back to turn 1, ride the kerb on the left, off the brakes, THROW it to the right clipping the inside kerb and on the gas EARLY, exiting with 2 wheels over the sausage kerb on the left. You gotta really throw it through there.

I just wanna say that I might be done for this week because my internet has been going on and off lately but I was able to do a couple of Daily Race Cs for today.

There were a couple of disconnects that happened on my end that really took a huge dent on my alt's DR but either way here's how my day went. My quali time was a 1:20.3.

First session (queued alongside @D_Dragline) - So race went fine and this was when I was worried that I might get DC'd again. Was struggling to get into the groove in driving the GTR GT500 '16. Due to the unpredictability of the track limit penalties that I've encountered, it limits on me trying to push the car. I got a couple of track limit breaches and it hindered my progress but was able to keep my starting position up until the end aka a P3 finish.

Second session - After a couple of disconnects, was able to get into a session without getting DC'd. This race was something and I'm glad that I chose the mediums for this race as it was the deciding factor for me in winning this race. Again my pace was hindered by the track limits so the last lap was a close call as the fellow GTR managed to close the gap on me. This was where I managed to get a groove on the GTR and it came in at the right time.

I’ve noticed I am posting a lot of negative stuff here lately. It’s often a kind of therapy for me after disasters, but the game can still make me smile so much. The video below is one of the of the greatest experiences in my GT history.

The context; I was running an 8s6m strat and had been just in front or behind the white GTR in p5 for the first 8 laps, we had both had some slight issues with other drivers, but nothing major. We both pit and it turns out he has gone with an 8m6s strat. The video shows the last 4 laps of white knuckle, squeaky bum racing as I try madly to stay in front of him despite his rubber advantage.

After the race we both simultaneously posted congratulations to each other and said how good the race was. If anyone comes across Fitztuitous in the Asia region, he’s one of the good ones. Cannot express how much this restored my faith in racing.

Last edited:
I use a pad, old school with X and square and the arrow buttons 😂 My qualy is a 21.4 and if I get it right i'll get into the 20s. I use TC2. Pad is not the issue, there's a user here who uses the controller and he is A+ rated.

I'll be blunt, 1.24 means you have a LOT of pace to find, easily, that's the good news. You are likely losing a lot in turns 1 and 3, especially 1. Turn 1 needs to be taken FAST, in general RBR is all about exits, go on the gas earlier than you think you can, especially at the tight turn 3 right hander.

Back to turn 1, ride the kerb on the left, off the brakes, THROW it to the right clipping the inside kerb and on the gas EARLY, exiting with 2 wheels over the sausage kerb on the left. You gotta really throw it through there.
I use the old school X & Square with arrows for steering as well. Have been doing this since GT1 and just can't seem to make anything else work. Just feels right to me. I can hang with high B/low A racers and the pad is not my limitation, it's my skill. I do plan on getting a wheel at some point, but it probably wouldn't make me any faster just more fun.

I use the old school X & Square with arrows for steering as well. Have been doing this since GT1 and just can't seem to make anything else work. Just feels right to me. I can hang with high B/low A racers and the pad is not my limitation, it's my skill. I do plan on getting a wheel at some point, but it probably wouldn't make me any faster just more fun.
I tried a wheel, a cheap one, and the lack of feel from the pedals drove me crazy, had zero feedback and no idea what was going on. Also the steering was weird, nothing, nothing, nothing them wham too much lock. I dunno, felt nothing like a real car to me and after about 50 hours of trying I was still seconds off my pad pace so shelved it.

I tried a wheel, a cheap one, and the lack of feel from the pedals drove me crazy, had zero feedback and no idea what was going on. Also the steering was weird, nothing, nothing, nothing them wham too much lock. I dunno, felt nothing like a real car to me and after about 50 hours of trying I was still seconds off my pad pace so shelved it.
That's what I'm afraid of...since there's no way I'll spend thousands on a Fanatec setup I'd end up with a G29 or similar and end up hating it and just getting rid of it. I have plenty of fun with my little DS4 and it takes up much less space.

There are a few corners that are tricky with the arrow buttons (usually long sweepers), but overall I don't find it a hinderance any more than my skill is. Glad to see there are other old school racers out there sticking it out with the arrows and X/Square.

Here are the downsides I am sure you're familiar with by using the arrow buttons;

• Racing clean through long corners, the little tapping we do makes it hard to hold a radius
  • Our entry angle creates contact as we have to turn in late and almost in a V rather than a U and folks think they see a gap that suddenly closes. The awkward left before the 4 right handers at Gardens is the primary culprit.
  • we scrub speed BADLY through esses, seaside and especially Lake Maggiorrie are brutal through the esses
  • Tyre life is ABYSMAL

Last edited:
This may already be a known fact around here, but why does the BOP not make cars in the same class closer in race? For example in Monza GR4 this week, the Veyron is clearly the go to car. I've been racing with my Vantage & C7 and just can't match the pace of the Veyrons in race. Did 2 qualifying laps in the Veyron and cut nearly a second off my time without even trying. Guess I'll be using that as well this week.

Would be nice if the cars were a bit more even so there could be more variety. I know this is nothing new to you guys just bugs me a bit. I did really well last week in Race B using the Supra, but really dont like that car. Just couldn't match my pace in the Supra with anything else in the garage.

Here are the downsides I am sure you're familiar with by using the arrow buttons;

• Racing clean through long corners, the little tapping we do makes it hard to hold a radius
  • Our entry angle creates contact as we have to turn in late and almost in a V rather than a U and folks think they see a gap that suddenly closes. The awkward left before the 4 right handers at Gardens is the primary culprit.
  • we scrub speed BADLY through esses, seaside and especially Lake Maggiorrie are brutal through the esses
  • Tyre life is ABYSMAL
True on all counts...The second one if the biggy for me. Other racers always seem to think they can stuff it in there. I usually try to anticipate this and modify my line a bit, but that just makes for a slower exit.

That's what I'm afraid of...since there's no way I'll spend thousands on a Fanatec setup I'd end up with a G29 or similar and end up hating it and just getting rid of it. I have plenty of fun with my little DS4 and it takes up much less space.

There are a few corners that are tricky with the arrow buttons (usually long sweepers), but overall I don't find it a hinderance any more than my skill is. Glad to see there are other old school racers out there sticking it out with the arrows and X/Square.
I got to high "B" using the DS4. I eventually used R2 for cowbell, L2 for less cowbell..... but for a good couple weeks I used the directional Keyes and "X" and "SQUARE". The transition was painful, but well worth it. Played with a pad for probably a year and a half. Then I got a wheel, fanatic CSL elite (now discontinued). It was like the top of the lower budget wheels. It took me literally a month or more to finally get close to my qually times I had with a DS4. But once I got used to it (and over the fact that it doesn't feel like a real car), my pace increased substantially and my consistency increased 10-fold. I could never go back to a pad. I tried the other day. It was abysmal. You hear a few stories of guys going back to pads after trying a wheel. But those stories are probably 1 in a 1000. Even if I was still faster on a pad, I still wouldn't go back. The extra immersion is more than worth it

This may already be a known fact around here, but why does the BOP not make cars in the same class closer in race? For example in Monza GR4 this week, the Veyron is clearly the go to car. I've been racing with my Vantage & C7 and just can't match the pace of the Veyrons in race. Did 2 qualifying laps in the Veyron and cut nearly a second off my time without even trying. Guess I'll be using that as well this week.

Would be nice if the cars were a bit more even so there could be more variety. I know this is nothing new to you guys just bugs me a bit. I did really well last week in Race B using the Supra, but really dont like that car. Just couldn't match my pace in the Supra with anything else in the garage.

True on all counts...The second one if the biggy for me. Other racers always seem to think they can stuff it in there. I usually try to anticipate this and modify my line a bit, but that just makes for a slower exit.
Regardless if what they do to the BOP, every track has a Meta...or a few cars that are very good there. You won't see the Veyron as the Meta anywhere else but Monza. You won't see the Slophy as a good car anywhere else but Brands Hatch or Laguna Seca. Before this latest BOP change, 7 out of 10 times, any FF was the GR.4 meta no matter what

Back