"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Oct 7, 2019.

1. 250Cal

250Cal

Right, so the car was cack. And it's a bit less cack in the game.

larrybr07n, Qyn and Pigems like this.
  2. DanSHW

DanSHW

Don't really know Sardegna or St. Croix, but I'm not that fussed about DR, so using just missed race A entry, went with B, and fitted in 3 quali laps, for a 2:14.3, and was amazed when that got me 6th on a full C/S grid, and even more surprised when a couple of guys crashed out and I was up to 4th by the end of lap 1. Had a bit of back and forth with a Ferrari, and despite being behind into the last corner, managed to out drag him to the line to take 4th.

Did another couple of quali laps and took another half second off, and straight into another race, 6th on the grid again. Lost a place at the start giving a dive bomber space and hoping they threw themselves off, they didn't, but I stuck close to the front pack for what was a clean first lap. All kicked off at the turn onto the bridge on lap 2, the two cars in front got very sideways on the way in, so I backed off and promptly got punted, just about held it in the run off area, but the two in front had both spun, and no one came past, so I moved up to 5th, and stayed there with big gaps in front and behind for the rest of the race.

Turns out I'm not that bad at St. Croix, or maybe it's just that everyone's awful?

3. Famine

Famine Administrator

So cack - but not because of the design. The pace at the end of the straights showed that the fundamental design philosophy worked, and had the 8MJ Flybrid system actually existed to fill in the gaps it might have been closer... or we might have seen the cars getting further before something else failed. We might have seen a second race from it at least.

But the system didn't exist, and without that it was never going to be competitive - not least because the car had less than half the power it was designed to have.

Yep. PD has done a mild history rewrite and presented the 2MJ battery electric hybrid version of the car in functional, running form (which, to be fair, did run, just not for long and never in a race), not the petrol-only clunker that raced.

The_Tullster, Qyn and Pigems like this.
  4. golfer07840

golfer07840

I recall a one-make race with the Subaru WRX GR B car at Tsukuba awhile back. I want to say it may have been prior to the dailies becoming weeklies.

BTW, Kudos to PD this week. These races are fantastic. All 3 of them. I am pleasantly surprised at how fast Race A is. Usually, Race A feels like it's in slow motion, but this is a great car/track combo. Race B - wide open and just a fun drive in GR 3 cars. Race C - interesting that you need to use your brakes more to recharge the Hybrid.

5. JoeyLeonine

JoeyLeonine

If I could locate the apexes at St Croissant I'd be dangerous I tell you.

12.5xx in the GTbaRge.

Hadn't driven it for ages as I just couldn't get it to rotate through slow corners, but it seems to work with the flow of this one...

S A Debre, Qyn, GT5Power and 2 others like this.
  6. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

Yes! LETS!!! Some people need to learn the meaning of the phrase "flogging a dead horse" :mad:

Qyn likes this.
  7. Redsea666

Redsea666

A pair of Race Cs last night crushed DR and SR for me. Both of them started great, but taking a series of punts in both threw me off and I finished last or second to last each time. I might come back after people get to know the track better because I'm really in the groove of Fuji in the TS050. I do love races that require a pit.

Tonight I'll go back to St. Croix, but I haven't chosen the war wagon for it yet. I was loving the Aston but it seems I can't keep the tail in there. Maybe the Ford GT? I dunno. There will be laps tonight. It is a fun, fun track though. PD really nailed a lot of the custom tracks this platform.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  8. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I really enjoy St. Croix, never raced it before but it's a great track with both technical parts, high speed straights and plenty of overtake opportunity.
    Unfortunately the one race yesterday where I was being shoved around dropped me into SR B. A place I haven't been since the very start of my GTS career. And it's a rough neighborhood...

9. 05XR8

05XR8

I tried the Ford GT, Supra, Atenza, Jaguar in Race and the RC F in a Qualy run.

Observing the Atenza and Supra have good punch out of that corner holding 4th gear. On exit, when I could apply 100% throttle, I was at about 170kmh accelerating faster than using 3rd in the Jag & GT.

However, it's mainly due to whatever downforce/suspension physics programmed in the Atemnza. It does benefit from having 600+hp BoP, but it sticks through corners way better than the other cars.

After the right hand kink in the straight, we all brake hard for the 90 degree right. The next sequence of corners, I can pull away from anything behind me. Even in the dirty air from the car ahead, I've closed the gap.

The esses, with its right/left-zero-gravity-all-the-weight-of-the-earth-full-suspension compression-up again-left- with the close to the wall exit, I can carry so much more speed.

The_Tullster, larrybr07n, Qyn and 5 others like this.
  10. Db1312

Db1312

Is race c on fuji a race where you have to use both types of tyres, like in the series racing?

Qyn likes this.
  11. ASH32

ASH32

No, start on softs and fit softs again when you pit, usually the half way point (lap7). ;)

Db1312, Qyn and Pigems like this.
  12. stpatty

stpatty

I love St. Croix. I love the GT-R. 2:08.7 with .3 on the optimal. My DR is the highest it's ever been (35007). I raced against David Perel last night and gained a position in that race (they had a wobble coming out of the bridge and I ploughed them out of the way because I had nowhere else to go). What a drive.

larrybr07n, Qyn, watto79 and 7 others like this.
  13. sturk0167

sturk0167

@Granadier, I'll be coming for you.

#280 02:10.127 xGranadier
    #289 02:10.148 RPMcMurphy01

I tried my first couple of laps at St. Croix with the M/T. I can definitely see where it will help in some places. I'm really clumsy with the manual transmission at this point, because I use it so rarely (usually just at race A with 4 or 5 speed cars). I either think too much about the shifting and blow my braking and turn-in points, or concentrate too much on braking and steering, and then forget to shift or shift too much.
    I'll have to just do a lot more laps, until I can shift without thinking about it.

Nice lap. :tup:

14. stpatty

stpatty

In the GT-R at least I'd say MT is a must. The left-hander after the bridge, the right hander after the back straight and the final corner all need you to slip down an extra gear to turn the car then shift up immediately as you accelerate out of it. Plus on the back straight you can generally hold the car right at the limit before shifting into 6th.

larrybr07n, Qyn, Lilium and 3 others like this.
  15. SpaceMaN47y0

SpaceMaN47y0

@sturk0167 just keep driving. Like real life, I hardly think about shifting anymore, its just natural. (I drive MT Honda Civic) I'm almost to where I use manual on F1 too. THAT is hard.

dlshearon, larrybr07n, Qyn and 2 others like this.
  16. Pigems

Pigems

@sturk0167 I still get lost in the gears at times too, especially in cars with more than 6 gears, and I’ve driven manual IRL for as long as I’ve had a license. :lol:

17. 6BK

6BK

Good info! If the GT Gods are with me I'll actually get to do a race or two tonight. Since I've never actually used the Atenza in a race it would be nice to show it off for once.:D

[​IMG]

larrybr07n, 05XR8, Qyn and 2 others like this.
  18. stpatty

stpatty

Oh that reminds me, my first win using manual gears last night. It gets easier, trust me. St. Croix is probably a good track to learn since there's lots of time between corners.

dlshearon, 05XR8, Qyn and 5 others like this.
  19. sturk0167

sturk0167

I'm somewhat of an A/T expert, at this point. I'll normally get any gear I want for the corners.
    Under acceleration, getting the most out of each gear is where I lose ground. Also, downshifting certainly helps with deceleration.
    Don't like the GTR. It's exhaust has too much of a rattle sound. So far, I'm doing most of my St. Croix Q laps in the AMG.
    I'll get into the :09s on my next day off.

20. Pigems

Pigems

I remember old GT games used to have a button for holding gears, weather it be to stretch the last out of each gear or to hold a stop downshifts while braking and higher gear when going thru corners. That would be a handy feature for AT users to have in GT Sport. :)

21. Redneckchef

Redneckchef

@sturk0167 definitely stick with learning manual. It works at helping stabilize the car at times as well. I was hating learning it when I started a month or so ago at dragon trail but it is much easier now and after I really learn the track it helps bed me into a rhythm. I have even been able to use it for more boost in gr1 cars because I can short shift some places for stability and bang the hell out of the rev limiter to max it on the straight, even saving fuel doing it.

Hack 2 goez at race C last night. Logged in too late to practice so was starting at back anyway. Thought it was a bad idea until the first corner 3 spun off, so I started moving up. From 14th to 6th. 1 spin where I gassed it with a wheel on the astro, bad idea. Other race was into a fast lobby, multiple A+ A drivers. Gains went well until lap 8 where I was going through turn 1 side by side with another driver and went for an astro-induced spin again. Dropped from 8th to 12th. Got back to 11th but never had speed after that. Was just 1 sec a lap slower every time after the spin. Oh well. More practice needed. Had a few laps af st croix for qualifying but no race yet. I still forget a couple of corners so need more practice to race. Don't worry about being slow, but I at least need to know where the track goes.

22. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Always set yourself limits... then ignore them!

After doing a low 2:11 this morning I gave myself 20 laps qualifying on Race A to try and break into the 2:10s before I have to go and fetch the little one

Screenshot_20191008-173048_Gallery.jpg

Be a little bit late for her but she won't mind!!:D

23. Pigems

Pigems

I’ve got the Race B down to a 9.5 in the GTR now, and while there was definitely a few errors in the lap, shaving nearly 3 seconds off of that seems almost impossible. :lol:

24. sturk0167

sturk0167

I thought about trying M/T in the LM55 at La Sarthe, then when i saw that it has 8 gears.............
    [​IMG]

25. Pigems

Pigems

8 gears is the reason why I don’t drive that car much, I really like it otherwise. :)

The_Tullster, dlshearon, Qyn and 2 others like this.
  26. Granadier

Granadier

Hahaha, this is such a perfect description of those corners. The Nissan is so stiff that through those downhill bumps I swear it’s half a degree from flipping over entirely.

27. Pigems

Pigems

All this talk about shifting must have got to me, I got caught staring at the Delta while approaching the line and missed the shift from 4th to 5th, costing me my 8.9s lap. :lol:

28. Illum_Concept

Illum_Concept

Agreed, those alien times are quite frankly, er, alien...

I'll try again later after watching a track guide on YT, see if I'm making any obvious mistakes. Usually it's just that I'm not trusting the grip / downforce enough, or simply lack the required level of finesse, but occasionally I find that I'm taking completely the wrong line and can knock a few tenths off my very next lap. I always like to see what I can achieve off my own back before leeching off someone else though :rolleyes:

29. Pigems

Pigems

I usually do the same, I’ll try it myself until I max out and then I’ll check to see what they’re doing differently. :)

30. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA

I have no idea how they do it. My goal is to hit 7.5 if I continue with the Supra, as I saw someone hit that earlier before they switched to the GTR.