(Delayed talk) Is Gran Turismo Sport still the racing game it once was?

• Thread starter Heavyduke
  • 128 comments

Will you stay with GTS or no?

• Total voters
It is difficult not to buy a Gran Turismo game now, since there's not a single competitor on PS4.

I had enough of exagerated hot-laps-simulator, I'm not Lewis Hamilton as long as I'm not a ****in commando in real life. But I still love to play Metal Gear Solid without getting killed every single second.

So no, Pcars and Assetto corsa are not alternatives to Gran Turismo. Forza games are.
They may not be for you, but that that doesn't make it a definitive fact or applicable to everyone.

It depends on what you are looking for from a GT title.

If its the car collecting, parts modification, need to unlock element then I would agree with you. However if the focus is physics and/or racing then it most certainly does have competitors.

In terms of what I look for in a racing/driving title GTS has a lot of alternatives, namely AC, PCars, DiRT and SLRE at present.

I love that the title of the thread implies that because GTS has been delayed, it will be an inferior game.

The purpose of delaying a game is to either add features or iron out bugs. None of these could make the game worse IMO.

Unless the reason why many devs release games rushed and broken these days is because people love them, Right?

Just be grateful that Sony doesn't force devs to finish a game in a certain time. Because games like Sonic 06 are seen as polished classics. Oh wait...
Yep that worked out well for GT5, PCars and AC.

None of those shipped with any bugs or missing features after a delay.

We have no way of knowing if Sony does or doesn't force deadlines on devs (just because they allow a delay doesn't mean that as part of the delay they don't force a new deadline on a dev) and a delay doesn't mean that fatures will be added or bugs ironed out (it should but it doesn't).

Oh and your reading of the title of this thread is just that, your reading of it. I took it to mean that GTS may have been delayed to move it back in line with traditional GT titles rather than the move in a different direction it clearly was.

Last edited:
To me clearly GTS isn't the game it once was. The way I see it the delays are a reaction to criticism from a minority, the way I see it they are now adding stuff to the game they originally did not intend to add at release. I think it is disappointing, they should have released what they intended and went from there. Now they have allowed fear to prevent them from seeing what might have been. Weak.

Just think how long the wait would have been for GT6, if PD realeased the Course Maker in game.

For there to be a delay, there is something else they were trialing. I'd also like to know they're definition of Gran Turismo being the best it can be or the best one yet.

7HO
To me clearly GTS isn't the game it once was. The way I see it the delays are a reaction to criticism from a minority, the way I see it they are now adding stuff to the game they originally did not intend to add at release. I think it is disappointing, they should have released what they intended and went from there. Now they have allowed fear to prevent them from seeing what might have been. Weak.
Can't tell if serious.

With the game being delayed until sometime in 2017 I am wondering how close the release will be to Forza7. Since I don't have a ps4, it is going to really take me talking myself into another game. I am not playing Project Cars and Assetto aside from the best driving physics I have experienced, is really lacking. I am beginning to have more games than I want to play. And my wheel is not going to work with a playstation :grumpy:, that one is a big one for me. GTSport is eventually going to have a great car and track count, if the physics and sound are right, it will be hard for me to pass on it so I hope PD gets this right. Aside from Forza and Horizon, I really don't want to play those other games but I will. :lol:

7HO

You know I was thinking about analysing every sentence of this post. But I realised, what is the point?

I completely lost it after the second sentence, you know, the part that reads
7HO
The way I see it the delays are a reaction to criticism from a minority.

Why would a developer think about a minority? If a minority hates a feature and the rest love it, who do you think the dev will listen to?

Also, only the people who decided that the game would get delayed knows why the game has been delayed.

7HO
In what way have the minority who play online criticised PD?

I completely lost it after the second sentence, you know, the part that reads
Completely lost it? You lose it far too easily.

Why would a developer think about a minority?
The internet gives them a super powered megaphone and the weak are easily led by this. Some forums like this one really do appear to be very negative to GTS but even as a whole these forums are minority groups however the negativity is just a few people within these minority groups who keep complaining, a minority of a minority and not worth listening to. This minority isn't representative of the greater console community who don't bother with forums but simply enjoy games and play them with their friends. Most of the people I have encountered through work and other avenues haven't heard about iRacing and if I bring it up they don't care because to them the best is Forza or Gran Turismo or recently some have discovered other titles on console, the same that have no interest in PC games or even don't realise that people play games on PC. These are the guys who buy games because their mates tell them about it or they bought the game with their mates.

With the delay it has been announced that they are adding content with "new features yet to be revealed". I believe the delays are a direct response to the small group of complaints about the direction of the game and lack of content. It is a shame because it isn't hard to find positive reports and expectations elsewhere on the internet and in more mainstream media regarding what has been announced and shown.

7HO
You lose it far too easily.
I am not saying that isn't true. :sly:

7HO
I believe the delays are a direct response to the small group of complaints
Or Maybe PD realised themselves that they couldn't finish the game in time.

7HO
With the delay it has been announced that they are adding content with "new features yet to be revealed".
Because the new features haven't been revealed does not mean that PD hadn't been working on them.

You know, maybe you are right. But I don't see a AAA game dev listening to criticisms from a minority. Devs try to please everyone (sometimes with questionable success) and not a minuscule part of their fanbase. Especially the developer of one of the biggest racing game franchises of all time.

7HO

I used to think something similiar i.e. PD listens to what is being said about them / their product from fan sites / social media. Many companies use market research agencies / companies to get feedback, and undiluted feedback is very valuble and important, it would be crazy to ignore this and companies can pay big ££/$$s for research.

But...

I have done a u-turn and have no doubt PD don't do this either as a whole i.e. world wide. Examples like not adding the most popular car (E30 M3), ignoring the Q&A sub forum that was setup here, the multitude of problems with GT5 then releasing GT6, now carrying this through with GTS (+ other examples).

If PD (Kaz?) decision makers will go against / ignore the majority or what is 'the norm', then I don't see how they would listen to the minority.

I think they will do whatever they want to do or see fit and we can presume, guess and argue all we want, but the bottom line is that what happens, and more importantly why it happens, only the decision makers at PD know.

7HO
With the delay it has been announced that they are adding content with "new features yet to be revealed".

Read it again:

GT Sport will continue to be shown at several gaming events around the world. I hope everyone has the opportunity to experience first-hand the yet-to-be revealed cutting edge experiences that will be achieved by GT Sport.

The experiences (NOT FEATURES) are something they hope for people to try at public gaming events. You don't try out career modes at public events, the logical conclusion is that the experiences they talk about are VR and PS Pro 4K rendering, both of which we're yet to see. Plus probably things like night, and weather, again, experiences we're told exist but haven't seen.

If you feel that PD is appealing to an unwanted minority, then okay. That's your opinion on the situation.

However, please don't turn your feelings into facts. Sure, I feel that PD is slipping a little, but the facts shows that they still sell millions. They're okay. If you are going to say PD is doing something that you feel is wrong, don't make it seem like they actually are doing that, unless evidence is provided. That is why nobody takes these arguments seriously.

Speculation does not equal fact.

They may not be for you, but that that doesn't make it a definitive fact or applicable to everyone.

It depends on what you are looking for from a GT title.

If its the car collecting, parts modification, need to unlock element then I would agree with you. However if the focus is physics and/or racing then it most certainly does have competitors.

In terms of what I look for in a racing/driving title GTS has a lot of alternatives, namely AC, PCars, DiRT and SLRE at present.

Yep, I said this many times. I'm looking for a Sim/Arcade car collecting game :) And right now the only game available is Forza. This means no games like that on PS4.

I could be wrong but it seems like the OP is suggesting that you will either stay with the series or not.

I've always found this mentality odd. Like you're either staying with 1 series or forgetting them completely. In this day and age where we have access to so many brilliant racing games, consoles, PC's, Handhelds and racing set ups, why would you remain loyal to one racing game?

Project Cars is one of my favourite racing games ever made, but it'll never beat the raw Arcade thrills of Outrun 2. Gran Turismo 5 does things no other game does like Photo Mode and with such a variety of cars it's overwhelming but Gran Turismo 6 is so much more refined. Asseto Corsa has one of the most realistic handling models in the world but has so little content, I flip to Forza 6 to get my fill of wet weather racing and car count.

In essence, I live and breath racing games and the feeling that you would only buy 1 racing game and remain loyal... These are Videogames, not a Marriage! Go out and enjoy them all! ;)

I really believe Polyphony Digital has lost their way, The market is saturated with really good Racing Simulators that offer more than Gran Turismo, So PD no longer gets the Alpha Male share, but they still think they can build anticipation by delaying release:lol:, GT Fans are becoming Forza Motorsport, P CARS, and Assetto Corsa Fans, and these are all multi platform titles too, which even broadens their appeal to the masses, While PD is still wheel spinning on console only. :boggled: And not even delivering consistently.

Polyphony Digital needs to get A little more desperate and fight for their fan base, because they are dying the death of A thousand cuts.:(

At this point, it seems GTs future will be determined by GT Sport's success, and by the looks of it, it's not going to be relying on what made GT a success in the past by the absence of a proper career mode and many other main features, and instead focus on E sport. It'll be a make or break moment it seems. If I was Kaz or PD I'd feel very pressured.

So far so good for PSVR, so maybe it might be a driving factor to keep GT relevant in the long run by helping it sell copies. No pun intended.

So far after not playing Gran Turismo Sport for the past few months, l am very dissapointed in the game
However I hold great optimism in the future release of GRAN TURISMO 8

So far after not playing Gran Turismo Sport for the past few months, l am very dissapointed in the game
However I hold great optimism in the future release of GRAN TURISMO 8
Why? GTS online support is still going strong. Check out the latest seasonal. So far, the car count is up to 385. We still have 115 more cars to be revealed. Senna content is almost here. Remember, Kaz always says when we're done having fun with the game, then he'll release a new game. :sly:

The trick is to not play it on the PS4 you don't have
So even if you have a time machine, or put yourself in cryogenic stasis,
you still won't be able to play it when it never gets released, problem solved

Latest Posts

Back