DeltaWing Road Car Concept 2014

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 40 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage introduces the Delta Wing Road Car, a concept car based on their racing car. The car itself looks pretty weird but that happens with every car in the beginning of brand a new concept.
The Delta Wing race car was at first sight also a weird but now is widely accepted and admired.

687atj.jpg

Lighter. More efficient. More...weird. These are the hallmarks of the DeltaWing architecture, currently seen only on racetracks in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. But if company chief Don Panoz has his way, we'll see DeltaWing road cars, wild proportions and all. DeltaWing released this rendering of what an actual street car based on its architecture might look like.

Mind you, Panoz doesn't want to build DeltaWing family cars himself—his goal is to license the architecture to established automakers, who would then be able to capitalize on the advantages of the DeltaWing platform, namely its ability to deliver excellent performance at greatly reduced power and much higher efficiency. Basically, he's positioning the DeltaWing as a sort of CAFE trump card. Automakers could build vehicles around the architecture using any number of conventional or alt-fuel powertrains and conceivably deliver real-world observed fuel-economy that exceeds even the CAFE target of 54.5 mpg by 2025.

DeltaWing's basic performance goals are 0-60 mph in about six seconds, a top speed of 130 mph, and fuel economy of up to 70 mpg. That's with a small displacement four-banger generating something between 85 and 110 horsepower. DeltaWing says that it's been in conversation with OEMS for some time and that the architecture is ready to go, to the point where it's set for individualized tweaking by the various automakers should they adopt it.

Is it bizarre-looking? Sure. But in a world of beige transportation capsules, a potentially transformational road car like this is something to get excited about. And unlike your parents' Camry, which has, at best, a dotted-line connection to the NASCAR "stocker" that wears a Camry Halloween costume on race day, a DeltaWing-derived 4-seater really would have its roots on the track.
Wild!
a1ltus.jpg

qsw86x.jpg

OTHER AWESOME CARS ARE HERE

Last edited:
I saw an article about this car the other day... It scared me! :lol: I find it weird that Nissan turned a beautifull Le Mans prototype into... That! :ouch:

I saw an article about this car the other day... It scared me! :lol: I find it weird that Nissan turned a beautifull Le Mans prototype into... That! :ouch:

You are right, it's certainly not a good looking car .... they could have do it better.
But it's still a concept and they will change it, believe me for better or worse. :lol:
Anyway thanks for your support mate! 👍

You are right, it's certainly not a good looking car .... they could have do it better.
But it's still a concept and they will change it, believe me for better or worse. :lol:
Anyway thanks for your support mate! 👍
No problem 👍 As long as they take that V shape away from it, i´m good, the car looks too weird with that unusual shape. Nissan concepts are looking so preety nicely and this one is like the Kool-Aid guy. It joined the party after going trough a Wall. :lol:

No problem 👍 As long as they take that V shape away from it, i´m good, the car looks too weird with that unusual shape. Nissan concepts are looking so preety nicely and this one is like the Kool-Aid guy. It joined the party after going trough a Wall. :lol:

Right! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This has absolutely nothing to do with Nissan. The original black Deltawing had Nissan sponsorship but Don Panoz fell out with Nissan and Ben Bowlby so the chrome Deltawing is now Mazda powered. It's that way in GT6. In fact, Panoz is apparently bringing the others to court over being able to make a wing shaped road car.

It is hideous though!

Last edited:
Really, Starlight? You've suggested some fabulous cars, but I feel like you've let me down with this one. Nobody likes this car so I'm sure this will not be getting many likes. If there was a dislike button though, this would win hands down.

Last edited:
Really, Starlight? You've suggested some fabulous cars, but I feel like you've let me down with this one. Nobody likes this car so I'm sure this will not be getting many likes. If there was a dislike button though, this would win hands down.

Sorry, 7 likes for this car is not bad at all ... I have worser cars with only 3 likes.
Anyway like I said this is indeed a very weird car but it's a concept is always a challenge, you don't follow the road but get out of the usually road to make something news ... sometimes is at success sometimes not.
Thanks for your comment, very appreciated.

I find it weird that Nissan turned a beautifull Le Mans prototype into... That! :ouch:

The only thing that Nissan had to do with the DeltaWing was the name on the side of the car and 3 of their drivers at the wheel (Krumm and Motoyama at Le Mans, Ordonez at Petit Le Mans).

And don't say anything about the engine, it was built by RML, based on the one they use in the Chevy Cruze WTCC car.

I would like to point out that this has exactly zilch to do with Nissan.

Last edited:
hsv
I would like to point out that this has exactly zilch to do with Nissan.

Also, @StarLight, make sure your credit an article when you rip it straight off Jalopnik.

What do you mean ... "make sure" ... why you are accusing me, do you really know what you are talking about?
I don't think you do. This was not ripped from Jalopnik.
Have a nice day.

What the hell... that was strange... honestly, I could've sworn that was Jalopnik identical. The link I posted in the auto news section.

EDIT - After reading through, it's the same but jumbled up. I would've put money on it being word for word.

hsv
What the hell... that was strange... honestly, I could've sworn that was Jalopnik identical. The link I posted in the auto news section.

EDIT - After reading through, it's the same but jumbled up. I would've put money on it being word for word.

It's ok, doesn't matter anyway ... no hard feelings.

The only thing that Nissan had to do with the DeltaWing was the name on the side of the car and 3 of their drivers at the wheel (Krumm and Motoyama at Le Mans, Ordonez at Petit Le Mans).

And don't say anything about the engine, it was built by RML, based on the one they use in the Chevy Cruze WTCC car.
Yup, you´re completely right. I somehow still get the feel that DeltaWing is Nissan, silly me... :ouch: But still, I don´t like this conversion of the DeltaWing Prototype from Le Mans to the road version. And I also thought this was Nissan because earlier I saw a concept from Nissan here in the car sugestion thread that was the Nissan `BladeGlider` or something and the format was very similar as the shape was also like a "V".

@spencer7x7 Care to explain why the most innovative design for race cars in over 20 years, and a breakthrough in itself annoys you?

And don't say anything about the way it's shaped, that's a dead horse that has been beaten to a pulp already.

@spencer7x7 Care to explain why the most innovative design for race cars in over 20 years, and a breakthrough in itself annoys you?

And don't say anything about the way it's shaped, that's a dead horse that has been beaten to a pulp already.
It drives pretty bad for me, bought it for 24 min Le Mans, and I was losing pretty bad. Maybe for some people it works and that's fine, but I personally don't like it. Also because of the obvious reason.

You have to know how to drive it. Obviously, it isn't like anything else to drive in GT6. Setting it up is different as well.

You just have to know how to get the best out of it.

Kill it with SADMs.

Why can't Deltawing die? They're one bad idea after another. They even sued the original designer of the car after he refused to see his brilliant idea being hampered by their incapacity to retain their partnerships!

Because the idea behind it is too interesting to just let go.

(I am not defending the "thing" in the OP, I am defending the concept and thinking behind the DeltaWing.)

DeltaWing road car. Code name: Wood Pecker...:D You certainly won't forget where you parked it in a Walmart parking lot...

Back