Estimate GT Sport sales

• Thread starter Earth
  • 869 comments

How many copies will GT Sport sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The fact that GTS is struggling to pass certain big titles is a real shocker, and it's a PS exclusive title well known in the UK! It even got overtaken by Forza 7, heck, even NFS Payout before it. Guess you can only question about it's popularly nowadays.

Oh well.
shrug.gif

The fact that GTS is struggling to pass certain big titles is a real shocker, and it's a PS exclusive title well known in the UK! Guess you can only question about it's popularly nowadays.

Oh well.
To be fair though, being 19th on the sales chart for the UK is not much different than being 10th. Volume wise we're only talking about a few thousand units. The huge volume comes in the release weak and in the strong discount weeks. One or two good weeks at release can be equal to 20 or 30 weeks at number 19.

To be fair though, being 19th on the sales chart for the UK is not much different than being 10th. Volume wise we're only talking about a few thousand units. The huge volume comes in the release weak and in the strong discount weeks. One or two good weeks at release can be equal to 20 or 30 weeks at number 19.
Ahh I see. Though I still find it to be quite shocking, because it used to be 8th place before dropping to 19th.

GT Sport being up with multi-platform Destiny 2, and ahead of Ghost Recon Widlands, demonstrates the importance of moving large numbers of units during the big selling weeks (Christmas, Black Friday etc.). We also know it was close to Crash Bandicoot's sales two week's before Christmas, and that title had a 6 month head start.

Early '18 you won't move many units, outside FIFA and CoD, position is largely determined by bundles. You'll see strategic bundling of GT Sport throughout the year, ie when a significant patch drops, but more often, as an 'added value' title by retailers when we see major bundles like God of War & Spider-Man.

If it had happened of the 3 million I think that Polyphony had already presumed that Gran Turismo reached 80 million copies, but it did not happen. Maybe in the March report of Sony

Gran Turismo Sport is currently 11th on the hungarian Webshop Árukereső. FH3 is 6th and FM7 is 21st.

Really disappointing to see the same games in the top 5 - GTA V (what else, in my country all gamers need in terms of simulation is to jump in a car, no matter how weird the physics are and crash it. Then the scandal, Battlefront II. Again GTA V, and then that damn PUBG (I swear this game is flowing out from everywhere...)

The truth is, racing games are on a big downhill. 10 years ago everyone talked about car games like NFSMW. People were proud when they had the game. Now, in our high school there is absolutely NO ONE who plays racing games. And the amount of students is 300. 300! Everyone plays Playerunkown's, CS:GO, Siege... And they call me peasant because I play games what at least can teach me something. These are racing games.

Sorry for the off-topic, it was just really calming to write this.

Last edited:
For 2 months of sales, 480,000 doesn’t seem too bad.

can we talk about GTA selling more than a million though, how did they manage that
Doesn't seem too bad at all given the company it's in. I wonder where GT5 would have been at this same time in the U.K. for comparison.

For 2 months of sales, 480,000 doesn’t seem too bad.

can we talk about GTA selling more than a million though, how did they manage that
Games have a tendancy to sell 50% of lifetime sales in one month. Online service games not included. Is there anyone else, like ME, who hasn't bought GTA?

I predict around 5 million, going there by virtue of brand strength and graphics and not going much above that, let alone 10+ as so many overoptimistic people voted, due to negative word of mouth (just look at the fb page flamewar) on content as well as strong competition.

Is there anyone else, like ME, who hasn't bought GTA?

Count me in. I see it as a kiddie game for young ones that want to play it tough. Doesn't help that it's the epitome of open-world with the consequence that it's a Jack of all trades, master of none, which is unappealing to me. GTA 3 back in 2001 was so amazing to me but the same formula nowadays is just meh imo.

Is there anyone else, like ME, who hasn't bought GTA?

The only reason I haven't purchased GTA5 is because I have a long, long list of games to play (spread across XB360, PS3, PS4, XB1 and PC), and I told myself I wouldn't buy any more new games unless I was ready to play them. I am very excited to eventually play it though!

I just bought Deus Ex: MD during the Steam Square Enix sale for $5.99 this weekend - only 2 months after I made that pact with myself (I am not ready to play this game:D)

I feel GT SPORT is selling less than ever, since there's more competition out there with Asseto Corsa and PCARS.

Also, the community seems minuscule compared to the days of GT5 after GT6.

I feel GT SPORT is selling less than ever, since there's more competition out there with Asseto Corsa and PCARS.

There was Shift, Shift2, Ferrari Challenge and Supercar Challenge around the time of GT5 if my memory is working properly. I'd say that was plenty of competition.

There was Shift, Shift2, Ferrari Challenge and Supercar Challenge around the time of GT5 if my memory is working properly. I'd say that was plenty of competition.
Not to mention Forza 4 11 months later.

:odd:

Ferrari Challenge Release Date: July 2008
NFS Shift Release Date: September 2009
Supercar Challenge Release Date: September 2009
Forza Motorsport 3 Release Date: October 2009
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Release Date: November 2010
Gran Turismo 5 Release Date: November 2010
Forza Motorsport 4 Release Date: October 2011

Contrast that with 2017's schedule:

DiRT 4 Release Date: June 2017
F1 2017 Release Date: August 2017
Nascar HEAT 2 Release Date: September 2017
Project CARS 2 Release Date: September 2017
WRC 7 Release Date: September 2017
Forza Motorsport 7 Release Date: October 2017
Gran Turismo Sport Release Date: October 2017
Need For Speed Payback Release Date: November 2017

GT Sport had to contend with a frankly unprecedented level of competition in the genre. The only time so many releases have been so close together was in May 2010 when Split/Second, Blur, and ModNation Racers all landed (I didn't include them in the list above, though). I'd say the fact it came out ahead is impressive then — GT5 essentially had the realistic console racer sub-genre to itself for nearly a year.

Is the amount of profiles accurate representation of sales ? Are there more copies sold that profiles created ? Less ?

One of the most insane stats that I have seen is that there is someone from Canada, cashemiretergal, that has almost a 95% win rate with 285 races won. Basically forget about winning if you’re in a race with that person. Lol

Also, with 3,747,360 profiles and counting, it takes 5 days to update stats for all profiles. However, registered users stats will be updated every night at midnight PST for the previous day.

Is the amount of profiles accurate representation of sales ? Are there more copies sold that profiles created ? Less ?

Typically, sales reported by the company, in this case Sony represent the number of units shipped to retailers. That being the case, Sony could say they sold 5 million copies but that wouldn't necessarily translate to exactly 5 million players, there could be 500,000 copies of the game sitting in a warehouse or players could have more than one profile. As of today, there are 4,607,391 profiles for GT Sport, which is probably pretty accurate to say they are at 4.5 - 5 million in sales.

Typically, sales reported by the company, in this case Sony represent the number of units shipped to retailers. That being the case, Sony could say they sold 5 million copies but that wouldn't necessarily translate to exactly 5 million players, there could be 500,000 copies of the game sitting in a warehouse or players could have more than one profile. As of today, there are 4,607,391 profiles for GT Sport, which is probably pretty accurate to say they are at 4.5 - 5 million in sales.

Dont forget that people played GTS during the open beta and a lot of them also play GTS in multiple accounts.

I have absolute sure that GTS hasnt sold 4-5 million copies yet.

Hell, i'd be surprised if GTS sold more than 3.

I think there are more profiles than copies actually sold, due to secondary accounts/profiles using the same copy of the game. But we can only guess how many.

Hell, i'd be surprised if GTS sold more than 3.

I voted 3, but it is probably past that now. I'd guess approaching 4. Really tailing off in sales now though, unlikely to make a million more by year end.

Someone on Resetera is extracting raw profile date.

These are last weeks stats:

New GTS Profiles created: 62,513
Beta converted to GTS Profiles: 4,577

In two weeks it will have broke the 4m profile mark (not including Beta profiles). Interestingly profile data under reports actual sales by approximately 20% (UK Profiles vs UK Sales). So GT Sport sales are already above 4m. If they keep adding weekly profiles at the current rate (55k-70k), the game will be over 5m by the end of the year, probably closer to 6m.

The community is of course smaller than in the GT5 days. But today platforms like Twitter, Reddit and Resetera are much more prominent. Back then GTP dominated the landscape if you wanted to discuss GT.

Last edited:
I voted 3, but it is probably past that now. I'd guess approaching 4. Really tailing off in sales now though, unlikely to make a million more by year end.

When i said 3, i meant sold right now. I voted for 5 million for its life span.
Someone of Resetera is extracting raw profile date.

These are last weeks stats:

New GTS Profiles created: 62,513
Beta converted to GTS Profiles: 4,577

In two weeks it will have broke the 4m profile mark. Interestingly profile data under reports actual sales by approximately 20%. So GT Sport sales are already above 4m. If they keep adding weekly profiles at the current rate (55k-70k), the game will be over 5m by the end of the year, probably closer to 6m.

There's no chance GTS already sold over 4 million copies.

I'd say its close to 2 atm. Profiles means nothing and the open beta profiles count.

Back