Votes: 23 13.7%
  • Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Mazda RX7

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • Subaru Impreza WRX

Votes: 15 8.9%

• Total voters
The 1996 Probe V6 I drove had 167hp from the 2.5i V6 24v engine it shared with the MX-6.

But it's not all JUST about the numbers is it? You need to learn to look beyond the figures, and at the cars.

Originally posted by Driftster
Oh of course it gets the credit it deserves. My personal dream car is a GTST R32. I would much rather have a Rear Wheel Drive car built from a Rear Wheel Drive platform, than a All-Wheel Drive Car built from a Rear Wheel Drive platform.

The GTR and GTS4 share the same platform. The 2wd cars use completely different subframes, looms, ecu, etc. In fact the only simularities between the GTS4 and GTR are the running gear and the back of the block. Body panels are not close except the bonnet (hood) but the GTR also uses a different latching system.

Originally posted by RazorGTR
Umm no. The term "Godzilla" originated in 1990 in reference to the R32 GTR which dominated the JGTC, and the Australian Touring car series. The R33 and R34 only retained the name.

Indeed - the first Gojira (I thank you) I became aware of was a 1000hp GOLD 1995 R33 GT-R (it may have been a Nismo 400R even, well, originally). So Gojira Skylines have been around since before the R34.

Oh 1996, you said 92 earlier. I see what you mean now, yes it had 167 HP at 2889 lbs.
Still the Mx6 only weighted 2635 lbs as a base model. Aswell as that, it only weighted 2756lbs with the All Wheel Steering feature.

In the UK we didn't get an AWS MX-6.

However, I drove both cars. The MX-6 felt a little gutsier, but the Probe had smarter acceleration and a better cabin. It was quieter at motorway speeds, a little thirstier on the petrol, but significantly cheaper service costs (although above the usual Ford range prices) and parts costs. I'd rather own the Probe than the MX-6, in all honesty.

In fact I'd rather own either than the Integra Type-R (massive service bills, shorter service intervals, zero comfort, but marvellous speed - although the Probe's V6 excels in the "can't be arsed - shove it in top and let it troll" stakes) or the FIAT Coupe Turbo (very quick, but AWFUL reliability, and the FIAT dealers are "See you next Tuesday"s).

Figures give the basic performance - everything else makes the car.

I personally cannot stand the exterior stylings of a ford probe, simply because every 12 seconds I see one going down the street. They are almost as comon as the Ford Focuz, which has been the number one "Me Too Car" as of the past year, contrary to popular Civic beliefs.

Each to their own... :D My girlfriend keeps confusing the Probe and MR-2... In fact (and this is absolutely true) she one day said to me "Look at that nice red Ford Probe"... I turned to her (not too much - I was driving) and said "I didn't know Ford had changed their badge from a blue oval to a prancing horse...". It was an F355! Women... :D

The stylings are better than the MX-6s IMO - the Probe knows it's a coupe, the Mazda seems to get confused halfway.

The Focus is so popular because it's great. It handles better than others in class, the comfort levels are high, the service/parts costs are low and they don't really go wrong. In an MoT test round in Germany 99.7% of Focuses 3 years old had no fault whatsoever, and the other 0.3% had no fault serious enough to fail the test.

We don't see many Probes around here, as they tend to have been tuned, thrased or stuffed (or all three). Pity really.

I would say that the GT-R is da best Japanese car for tha streets and tha NSX is the best fo tha track (because of it's MR layout.)

man... after not coming here for like three days i see what a mess i started by talking about he excessive votes the gtr was recieving...

hey famine i know exactly what you are talking about... every car is the same to my gf... see keeps gettin the 3000gt and some other car confused... i forgot which... think it was with a stratus lol... but hell at least its not a ferrari and a probe lol...
so the probe you have is it the big ugly one like the 91-94 eclipse... or the model after that... i kinda like the model after that but still think the clipse previously mentioned looks better in gs...gst...gsx trim... ( with factory spoiler and body kit... god i love that car for some mysterious reason

oh yeah and someone remarked and said that the gtr was brilliant on the tracks... that is hard to believe... and when i said it would not be a breeze and gtr boy said that it was... is it really even with teh tech turned off.. that is what i meant... the point of the tech is to make it a breeze lol

poor vr4 no one likes you.... its ok... i cannot believe it is below wrx... if i knew that this is what was gonna happen i would have not voted the way i did...

I also can't believe the WRX is ahead of the 3000GT, i'm starting to doubt the overall intelligence level of the people in this forum:.odd:

simple reason for the wrx being betta is cos it handles like a dream, and its no wear near as bad on tires as a vr4, all the VR4 has is looks, have u tried driving a fully tuned one say around midfeild compared to a fully tuned wrx? the VR4 handles like an elephant

HsV, I don't know if you noticed this, but for the past 5-6 pages or so we've been discussing both in and out of the game, hence so much amazment. I could have sworn that in other posts I have mentioned how wronged the 3000GT was, or perhaps it was AF.com

Actually, bengee, I never owned one... :D I merely said I was lucky enough to drive both the Probe and it's sister MX-6. My dad did own a 1996 Probe V6 for about 18 months, which I got to drive a bit - he had a severely arthritic left hip and he found getting in and out a bit of a trial. When he got his hip replaced (and I got to drive it a bit more, 'cos he was in bed and couldn't complain), he swapped it for a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport as soon as he could drive again. No getting in/out problems and an automatic so he didn't have to use his left leg... :D

We only got one model Probe in the UK. Coupe body, pop-up lights.

BTW I was checking over numbers (I was bored) and I found that the car I want is shorter than, and has a shorter wheelbase than the Ford Probe. And that's a Supra TT... :D

I'd rate the Impreza over the 3000GT IRL as well. There is so little performance difference for such a price difference. The only major gap is in top speed, but honestly - where in the UK can you use more than 120mph? Or where WOULD you? :D As an everyday-er, the Scooby is the better bet, at half the cost.

Originally posted by Driftster
HsV, I don't know if you noticed this, but for the past 5-6 pages or so we've been discussing both in and out of the game, hence so much amazment. I could have sworn that in other posts I have mentioned how wronged the 3000GT was, or perhaps it was AF.com

sorry but the other post r to long and i didnt read them :embarrassed:

Originally posted by bengee
oh yeah and someone remarked and said that the gtr was brilliant on the tracks... that is hard to believe... and when i said it would not be a breeze and gtr boy said that it was... is it really even with teh tech turned off.. that is what i meant... the point of the tech is to make it a breeze lol

:odd: um by GTR boy?....:odd:

what do you mean is it really even with the tech turned off? why the hell would you do that? You drive cars the way they are...if it came that way stock then its fair that you can use it...It's not Nissans fault that they actually have enough brains to put in the tech and other companies don't care enought to even try....asking if it is really even with the tech turned off is like me saying we should cut out 4 cylinders in a mustang when comparing it to a civic....why the hell would you do that?

sorry man forgot your name... lol i no longer care about arguing over gtr's and what not...
and no the tech should not be compared to cutting an engines power since it is used to supply the driver with skills and control that would not be available to most people without hte tech...

it is my opinion that if a car can be driven without a whole bunch of technology... or i guess an excessive amount since most cars... except for nobles... use some sort of drivers assistance... would be a better car becuase it is a must that balance and not a reliance on technology is utilized... this is my opinion only... there are many different ways to reach a great car status... and mine is just one of them...

hey famine... in real life i would choose an STi over a 3000gt and a 3000gt over a wrx... if i was looking for only sport capabilities... but botht eh STi and 3000gt are rather unpractical... the scoobie cannot fold rear seats and thus is limited in cargo... and umm hte vr4 is not designed for practicality... oh well... the new wrx seems the way to go for a good price and what is needed in the real world... as for price i am sure a used vr4 would be cheaper than a new 30k STi... but you could always go with a Vi or 2k2 model wrx... no STi but not bad...

oh yeah... in real life i would choose acc over top speed... which means i would love to have a light and powerful car... that gets rid of the gtr and vr4 lol... i would love an affordable car... hence no nsx... and while i love the rx7 to death... i think i need 4wd or awd for going to the mountains... in the us that basically limits me to a used car of some sort that fits the discription or a nice new wrx or STi... i dunno y i put this... oh yeah top speed does not impress me... as long as the car can go above 110 and acc like a i dunno... that car is great...

still think its a shame that the vr4 is way behind...
to whom it concerns...i am sorry but you cannot say the vr4 handles like an elephant... it is as fast as my 400r both tuned similarly and a max speed at the same level... it just drives slightly differently...

I'm sorry... STi and WRX? If I could add another three letters, WTF?

LOL

you know STI... wrx... same car but now different... wrx has 2 litre STi and rs have 2.5... STi is better... WRX imprezza is like the reg car... its like evo and lancer

i know you know...

i udnno if what i said before made sense i didnt read it

Originally posted by skylineGTR_guy
another thing....I have a video of that 1360 HP skyline on a 4WD dyno so the results are real.....

on the top speed run the skyline blew a head gasket and was unable to continue...I have a video of that as well.....RazorGTR has even seen this can and he can even tell you it's real....PM him if you don't belive me.....

If you continue to doubt the existence of this skyline why don't you go but a 5 dollar phone card and call veilside?

BTW that article about the skyline was ripped off from super street a car mag here in the US.....what an indiot trying to claim othe peoples work as his own.....

If I saw the video I might believe it had 1360HP, but the really surprising part is that it could actually be street legal, even in Japan. I've gotta say I'm more inclined to believe that RazorGTR knows what he's talking about, and there's a pretty big difference between claiming 1360HP and the 1017HP he said it was dyno'd at. 1360HP would break some records. 1017HP won't (although it's still damn impressive on a 6-cylinder that's street legal some places). What was the actual max power they got out of it in Japan?

That original link was just such a half-assed bogus-looking story, though, which is why I thought the whole thing was BS. I hadn't heard of that car, and I figured that if the car existed it would be a big enough deal that I would've heard about it.

So, I stand corrected on a few things (by about 500 people) :lol: I suppose I owe skylineGTR_guy an appology ...but not Shinez -- that guy's just an ass.

Does anybody have any links to articles about it, though? I mean links that aren't crappy articles like that first one...

sorry man forgot your name...

:lol:

i no longer care about arguing over gtr's and what not...
and no the tech should not be compared to cutting an engines power since it is used to supply the driver with skills and control that would not be available to most people without hte tech...

oh....ok...sorry, my point with the v8 was that the v8 gives extra power thats not available to civics without the extra 4 cylinders...neither is the potential because displacement is smaller in the civic....instead of tech I was refering to power....don't worry about it....:D

I know I can be an ass sometimes when it comes to the skyline....:lol: I guess it's all a matter of opinion....to me the advantage of having all of that tech over another car is no different than the advantage of new cars having disk brakes over drums...I feel that If it comes with the car it's there for a reason...I mean honestly isn't giving people better skills and control what all cars should do? If all cars were able to help the driver gain better control wouldn't that raise the quality of our cars? So I feel that all the tech is for the better good of the driver and the car, thats why I said what I said...;) :D :embarrassed:

Originally posted by BadBatsuMaru
If I saw the video I might believe it had 1360HP, but the really surprising part is that it could actually be street legal, even in Japan. I've gotta say I'm more inclined to believe that RazorGTR knows what he's talking about, and there's a pretty big difference between claiming 1360HP and the 1017HP he said it was dyno'd at. 1360HP would break some records. 1017HP won't (although it's still damn impressive on a 6-cylinder that's street legal some places). What was the actual max power they got out of it in Japan?

I think it was in japan where they got 1360...I think thats the reason they were so disappointed_because it only dynoed at 1017 at NZ when they ran it for the contest..

That original link was just such a half-assed bogus-looking story, though, which is why I thought the whole thing was BS. I hadn't heard of that car, and I figured that if the car existed it would be a big enough deal that I would've heard about it.

OH I forgot about that story....LOL That story was actually ripped off word for word from a magazine called Super Street here in the US....The article was written by Ricky Chu but at the bottom of the copied version some guy named ali-somthing, calims to own a copyright on it....Since I've talked to Ricky before I emailed him the link as well and also sent it Super Street's editors a legal department as I do not like people taking other peoples work and claiming it as their own....he could of atleast said that he got it from Super Street or given credit to Ricky but since he did not I thought Ricky would wan't to know...(BTW if you have never read Super Street, they like to joke around alot so all of their stories have some atempt at humor in them..you'll get used to it..)

here is the real article....same words but it's the real one from a well known US magazine...
http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/32699/index.html

notice the words are exactly the same in the ripped off version...
http://www.uaedreams.com/team/model/1999/car1/

So, I stand corrected on a few things (by about 500 people) I suppose I owe skylineGTR_guy an appology ...but not Shinez-- that guy's just an ass.

:lol: don't worry about it...as I said in my post before this one I can be an ass when it comes to Skylines :lol:

and shinez is banned..for the 5th time....I think its becasue the mod's think hes an ass...so don't worry about him...

Does anybody have any links to articles about it, though? I mean links that aren't crappy articles like that first one...

the one above...
and
http://www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/racing.html

this site shows records with skylines and is a very good informational site, go tho the hompeage to check it out:
http://www.exvitermini.com/records.htm

alot of the pages about it are in japanese since the car has never been to the US it hasn't received much exposure...

i read that the max hp the skyline could hold with a standard engine... ofcourse modified... was 1200bhp... from a car encyclopedia... forgot which one... if some one is curoius i could go find it...

anyways... just to continue my discusiion with gtr guy... i was never trying to deny the gtr speed and ability... and of course nearly infinite potential...

its just in my opinion a car that uses drivers inputs more realistically would end up being a better car...

i guess there are two ways to look at driving... using a car that uses your imputs and prefects them allowing you to drive with golden feet... or one that gives you the room to grow... the room to improve your driving skills by not perfecting things for you... of course most people will not be able to handle as much power with the later type of machine but i still prefer this route

gtr guy you are not an ass and did not offend me lol...oh man... guess i started it up again... oh well... umm the 1200 i reported might be like 4-5 years old

i read that the max hp the skyline could hold with a standard engine... ofcourse modified... was 1200bhp... from a car encyclopedia... forgot which one... if some one is curoius i could go find it...

the stock block can handle 900 hp for like 4 mins before it cracks in between the #3 and #4 cylinders...the Nismo N1 block can handle more but I'm not sure how much...(thanks to RazorGTR for the info on the block) I think..not 100% sure but I think up to about 500 hp you should be fine on bone stock internals

anyways... just to continue my discusiion with gtr guy... i was never trying to deny the gtr speed and ability... and of course nearly infinite potential...

its just in my opinion a car that uses drivers inputs more realistically would end up being a better car...

i guess there are two ways to look at driving... using a car that uses your imputs and prefects them allowing you to drive with golden feet... or one that gives you the room to grow... the room to improve your driving skills by not perfecting things for you... of course most people will not be able to handle as much power with the later type of machine but i still prefer this route

I didn't think you were trying to deny it I was just trying to figure out why you disliked all the tech....I see your point tho....but most people don't go right out and buy skylines as their first car....and if they are truly looking to improve their skills they ususaly would have imporved them through the cars they had before the skyline.. understand what I mean?

gtr guy you are not an ass and did not offend me lol...oh man... guess i started it up again... oh well... umm the 1200 i reported might be like 4-5 years old

Awww thanks :embarrassed:

what book was that in?

The car has produced over 1,300 on numours occasions in Japan. It was close to that when it dyno 1,017hp at the wheels or should I say hubs, as it was a dynapac dyno. Factoring in the driveline loss calculated on a dynapac that would then produce or measure 1,257(ish) at the flywheel. That is not bad at all as I said at that time.
Now some nearly three years later the Croydon Wholesaler R32 GTR and the Heat Treatments R32 GTR's are producing very simular numbers. Both of these cars have run mid 8's but the scary part is the Croydon Wholesaler's GTR IS streel registered an did their runs on Micky Thompson's and not slicks.

The highest output I have ever hear of was the HKS R33 GTR Drag car. During a development run of a new engine they snapped titanium con rods on the dyno at 1,598 hp, @ 12,400 rpm. Maybe I should rephrase that. One of the con rods or conrod bolts let go causing catastrophic engine failure, which one would imagine.
All these huge numbers are not reliable at all. I mean lets face, in the world of racing these high strung engines are designed and tuned to the max and last hopefully enough for a single race meetting and that is it. Look at top fuel. Those 6000+ hp nitro engine hopefully last 5 seconds, yet most don't on all 8 cylinders.

As pointed out the R32 GTR engine blocks are much weaker than their N1 counterparts. Nissan fixed this problem in late 95 with the help of NISMO in the N1 block. From 96 onwards all GTRs produced came factory with this block.
The factory internals can or should support up to around the 550hp mark before the factory rod bolts let go or stretch and let go and or the top compression ring land collapses. The factory crank which is forged billet, same as the NSX's and Supra's are good for about 850hp before it is time to drop 10k on an aftermarktet one. The other limits are the gearboxes which again seem to have that magical limit of around 550hp, though some have gotten up to 625hp before the gears just shear off.

While the factory gear does have a rather mild limit, the aftermarket stuff available takes over and will stretch you to about 1,200hp before you need special custom made bits.

well i found the reference to the nurinburg track record and the 1200 bhp in...
the world encyclopedia of
CARS
the definitive guide to classic and contemporary cars from 1945 to the present day

by martin buckley and chris rees
i think they are english... cuase of hte way they write...

pretty good book... got it for 10 bucks... lol one of my many car book lol i was published in 1998... so i guess that is y it was cheap lol

Originally posted by RazorGTR
The car has produced over 1,300 on numours occasions in Japan. It was close to that when it dyno 1,017hp at the wheels or should I say hubs, as it was a dynapac dyno. Factoring in the driveline loss calculated on a dynapac that would then produce or measure 1,257(ish) at the flywheel. That is not bad at all as I said at that time.
Now some nearly three years later the Croydon Wholesaler R32 GTR and the Heat Treatments R32 GTR's are producing very simular numbers. Both of these cars have run mid 8's but the scary part is the Croydon Wholesaler's GTR IS streel registered an did their runs on Micky Thompson's and not slicks.

The highest output I have ever hear of was the HKS R33 GTR Drag car. During a development run of a new engine they snapped titanium con rods on the dyno at 1,598 hp, @ 12,400 rpm. Maybe I should rephrase that. One of the con rods or conrod bolts let go causing catastrophic engine failure, which one would imagine.
All these huge numbers are not reliable at all. I mean lets face, in the world of racing these high strung engines are designed and tuned to the max and last hopefully enough for a single race meetting and that is it. Look at top fuel. Those 6000+ hp nitro engine hopefully last 5 seconds, yet most don't on all 8 cylinders.

As pointed out the R32 GTR engine blocks are much weaker than their N1 counterparts. Nissan fixed this problem in late 95 with the help of NISMO in the N1 block. From 96 onwards all GTRs produced came factory with this block.
The factory internals can or should support up to around the 550hp mark before the factory rod bolts let go or stretch and let go and or the top compression ring land collapses. The factory crank which is forged billet, same as the NSX's and Supra's are good for about 850hp before it is time to drop 10k on an aftermarktet one. The other limits are the gearboxes which again seem to have that magical limit of around 550hp, though some have gotten up to 625hp before the gears just shear off.

While the factory gear does have a rather mild limit, the aftermarket stuff available takes over and will stretch you to about 1,200hp before you need special custom made bits.

so a GTR over 96 has an N1 block stock? how much HP can the N1 block handle?

BTW whats you GTR's power now?

Back