FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like those Gr2 cars, they are fun to drive. Unfortunately I did a mediocre qualification that put me down in 11th in my race. Race went ok, apart from a couple of dive-bombs at the end of the bridge that cost me a pile of time and gave me a penalty when me and someone else touched and he hit the wall and spun out. Overall it was fun but only managed to get 12th because I had to slow down at the end to serve my penalty.

Manufacturers ran into the issue of the Beetle's lack of straightline speed and poor fuel saving. I also jumped the start like a complete moron, but it did allow me to avoid the carnage at the 1st corner. I did for a few laps and worked my way up to 12th, and then binned it at the 1st Lesmo. Dropped me back to 17th so I changed strategy and tried to no stop by running fuel mix 3 for the rest of the race. Kinda worked, but ran out of fuel coming out of the Parabolica and dropped from 12th to 15th.

Oh well, at least it was fun :)

Well, that went quite a bit better than expected :). Came in expecting a terrible day, as Monza is always chaotic, and I had previously only driven 3 laps at St. Croix A.

Manufacturers cup:
Qualy:
Set some reasonable laps, ended with a fairly fast one, giving me P6 (just 0.003s in front of P7)

Race:
Start was just total chaos, as usual at Monza. Lost a few places, won another few, ended lap 1 back in P6. Made a few passes to end up in P4 by the end of lap 5, when most people pitted. I stayed out for 2 more laps (tires were fine and had enough fuel). Lap 7 I slightly misjudged Lesmo 1, and lost about 5 seconds.
After my pitstop, I came out in P8 (my Lesmo mishap cost me 4 places :ouch:). With just 2 laps to go, there was not much I could still do, and finished P8, but got promoted to P7 through penalties.

Nations cup:
Qualy:
Was stuck between two other drivers, but the rest of the field was right behind us. With only limited time, none of us backed down, so we had a racing qualification. Somehow the three of us ended up in P2-P4, with me on P4.

Race:
Start was good, and I was close to the 2 drivers in front of me. In turn 3 the guy in P2 spun out on his own. A few turns later I accidently hit the other, who braked a bit earlier than I do at that corner, causing him to slide off track and lose two places (sorry mate!). Now in P2, I quickly started pulling away from the rest of the field, while the guy in P1 pulled away from me. To my shock he pitted in lap 3, meaning he would do a 2 stop, whereas I could easily do a 1 stop.
Had a lonely race until lap 7, when the leader pitted for the 2nd time. Unfortunately, he came out 7 seconds in front of me (his lap times were a lot faster than mine, and he only needed a small splash of fuel). I don't think he changed tires, though, because I was suddenly gaining on him. It wasn't enough, and I finished 3 seconds behind him in P2. I was 17 seconds ahead of P3, though :D.

At least you got launched into top5 and got a good result!

I also got launched into the gravel on the outside from a messy rejoin but understandable given the circumstances, it was Mitsubishi behind me into T1 that was somehow up to about 3rd after it all :lol:

I also got launched into the gravel on the outside from a messy rejoin but understandable given the circumstances, it was Mitsubishi behind me into T1 that was somehow up to about 3rd after it all :lol:
I think I launched you into the gravel when my car went airborne over the bariers, nothing I could do, and then after me derek and lightining managed to survive that somehow, I smash into lightining on chicane2 as he needs to brake quite early with nissan (I may have braked slightly later) and then I let him pass, we somehow manage to catch the leading pack and then I get a 3sec penalty for a ridicilous small cut over the white line =game over for top5. This was perfect race to show everything that is bad in this game... nation race, boring fuel trains all the time, was much faster in honda then most of the guys infront of me but couldn't do anything, everytime I tried something I would bump into someone because my brake point was later than the GTR or Lexus infront, terrible races overall today and I don't expect anything more from Le Man and Monza again in last round.

I swear, I'm never racing Monza again. People can't race this track. Everyone just divebombs from miles away into T1 and assume when entering side by side nobody will be on the inside of T2. Got so many SR downs from people turning onto me whle I was already on the verge of getting a track limit penalty.

On top of that I had a couple brain farts moments, punting Manurodry twice in race (literally forgot to brake) and ruined someone's qualy lap going out of the pits (guy exiting in front brakes, I swerve to got past him but didn't looked in my mirrors). Hate myself for that.

James and I made significant noise on the first lap of the manufacturers race...

I don't think anything better summaries the sim racing term "AAAAAAAAA DED" than that turn 1

They should definitely look into turning the permanent Mechanical Damage on in the Top 24 races though on a real, everyone drives so aggressively because the game honestly doesn't give you a good enough reason not to.

Expect the Track Profile to be this:

"Today's Manufacturer Series Top 24 Superstars is held at the legendary Autodromo Nazionale Monza, which is Italy's high-speed warzone."

"This track is heavy on straights, so Power cars such as the GT-R, the Corvette, the Mustang, the VGTs, and the July Update's Ford GT LM will be the strongest ones here, and expect speeds of 167 MPH at average."

"The first chicane, Variante del Rettifilo, is going to be an absolute anarchy on Lap 1, and it's amplified with 24 cars starting from a Grid Start, where a whackton of cars will try to pass this chicane, which makes this corner the decider whenever someone likes the track or not."

Four people discoed from the Manufacturer superstars.

Lets try this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Erg... you’d think that I’m intentionally not trying to qualify...

Alas... I think this might be the nail in the coffin. Coming from Pro-Am competitions and having a relative shot at making the final in my first year is encouraging. There’s weaknesses that I need to address and those will come with track time and determination. It was just a rookie/inexperience type of year.

If this was my final tango for the year, despite my shocking exit, I’m proud of what I did. There’s more left to do and I’m ready for it.

Got my first FIA podium in Manufacturer Series in Monza. 3rd for 1303 points.

Qualified fourth and jumped third place on the start. An uneventful race with me staying with the leaders but not pushing since I was happy with the podium.

On lap seven the leaders came together and I moved up to second, but on lap eight the always unstable Gr. 3 WRX threw me into the grass after being too aggressive on the kerb exiting Ascari.

Ended up only five seconds behind the winner after a conservative race.

IMG-20180901-WA0025.jpeg

Surprisingly I only had one major incident today and it wasn't in the first chicane...

On lap 5 a chain reaction behind me pushed an NSX ever so slightly into my rear as I was crossing the apex in turn 7, and it was just enough for me to lose the back end and hit the inner wall. I was in 6th and got pushed all the way down to 11th with a huge gap between me and 10th. Luckily I was able to muster up 7th when the end all was said and done.

Despite getting wrecked the race was still fun, I had some nice overtakes and battles, more than a couple times I ended up two-wide in uncomfortable spots. Though my SR did get a bit of tank from all the rubbing in the lap 1 chaos...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back