FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, yesterdays FIA was bitter sweet. Nations is something I want to forget, but Manu went very good:) I scored 124pts which is my best result ever(after points changed;) Also later I upload short video to you everybody jugde if I was dirty or not... One guy call me names after race, I watched replay, and I see nothing, but Im not neutral so...

This is it, to make it clear its last lap so Im defending preety much, from my perspective it look clean, from his perspective it might look like I pushed him wide on purpouse in last corner... BUT he wasnt even half my car lenght so I think I wasnt suposed to take tighter line line... You guys tell me...

looks fair to me holding your line.

could’ve stayed tighter to avoid, but I wouldn’t expect him swinging around you like that.

Either way woulda probably ran into the same exchange around the next bend 8)

Will S ranks go out between stages or only at the end of the whole season?

edit: “Each year, the players at the top of the rankings at the end of each FIA GT Championships Stage or Exhibition Series Season can register as "Star Players" on gran-turismo.com.”

Reads like they go out by stage.

I was wondering the same thing, I didn’t get the notification when I logged on this morning with my main account.

Usually there’s a news bulletin and then the registration goes out, right?

I'd certainly read it as S ranks were reissued at the end of each stage. It's Sunday today so hopefully invites are sent out tomorrow.

Just to note to anyone who hasn't seen yet, Tuesdays Nations race is actually a 2 make with both the 86 and BRZ allowed. Unusually they're provided cars, so no liveries 👎

So, yesterdays FIA was bitter sweet. Nations is something I want to forget, but Manu went very good:) I scored 124pts which is my best result ever(after points changed;) Also later I upload short video to you everybody jugde if I was dirty or not... One guy call me names after race, I watched replay, and I see nothing, but Im not neutral so...

This is it, to make it clear its last lap so Im defending preety much, from my perspective it look clean, from his perspective it might look like I pushed him wide on purpouse in last corner... BUT he wasnt even half my car lenght so I think I wasnt suposed to take tighter line line... You guys tell me...

I wouldn’t say it was dirty, but you should have left him more space on corner exit. If someone is along side of you, you can’t take the normal racing line. Even if he wasn’t going to get the pass on that corner, the idea is that if he puts his car along side of you, it compromises your exit speed. So I’m sure he was hoping to pass you on the final straight. You did a good job of protecting the inside, so you must anticipate he will move to the outside to avoid contact. Racing incident, but if you knew he was there you should’ve lifted...and if you didn’t know he was there, I wonder why not.

I wouldn’t say it was dirty, but you should have left him more space on corner exit. If someone is along side of you, you can’t take the normal racing line. Even if he wasn’t going to get the pass on that corner, the idea is that if he puts his car along side of you, it compromises your exit speed. So I’m sure he was hoping to pass you on the final straight. You did a good job of protecting the inside, so you must anticipate he will move to the outside to avoid contact. Racing incident, but if you knew he was there you should’ve lifted...and if you didn’t know he was there, I wonder why not.

Not one to start an argument but he’s only maintaining a slight throttle to steady the car when contact is made. Not sure what else anyone is expected to do in that situation. If he had planted his foot and run him off then yes I would agree with you, but in this instance I disagree.

Last edited:
Not one to start an argument but he’s only maintaining a slight throttle to steady the car when contact is made. Not sure what else anyone is expected to do in that situation. If he had planted his foot and run him off then yes I would agree with you, but in this instance I disagree.

One thing he could’ve done was lifted more. Another thing he could’ve done was steered further to the left so his car didn’t go as wide and push the other guy. It wasn’t a very bad collision, but it was caused by the inside car not giving space to the car on the outside. I’m not arguing either, but the guy asked for input and so far nobody told him that it was his car that caused the incident.

edit: I will say that it does look like that guy tapped him heading into the previous corner, so there’s a good chance he wouldn’t have even had the opportunity to get his car along side if he hadn’t done that. I don’t think any of this was intentional or dirty driving. It was just lack of awareness.

Last edited:
One thing he could’ve done was lifted more. Another thing he could’ve done was steered further to the left so his car didn’t go as wide and push the other guy. It wasn’t a very bad collision, but it was caused by the inside car not giving space to the car on the outside. I’m not arguing either, but the guy asked for input and so far nobody told him that it was his car that caused the incident.

I agree, the inside car carried a little too much speed thru the apex to hold the inside line on the exit, but the outside guy was pretty brave for putting his car there on that corner too. :)

@Trone_Colby Your Supra was very slow, I can see why anyone would be frustrated stuck behind that, not that this is your problem at all of course, it's their job to get past you, not yours to just let them past and you didn't do anything dirty like blocks.

You need to do a better job when cars mess up in front of you though, you can't just expect them to stay ghosted so you can drive through them, otherwise you'll keep losing out like this.

Also part of the reason your Supra was slow was because you were shifting far too late, you need to shift very early in this car, easily less than half bar and then you won't burn fuel stupidly either, win win for you. ;)

First slot NA and one and done again!

SUMMARY: #2 on the door, qualified 2nd and brought the M6 in 3rd across the finish line.

Setup was was full blown FM1, BB +2, TC 0 and tire strategy was 10S/9M/1H.

Started the race strong putting pressure on the pole driver. On second lap, the guy behind me tried to force it in the inner part of the circuit and hit me making me spin. Fortunately my car stopped facing the direction of the track and resumed the race in 7th. Gained few positions after that and came in for Mediums in 2nd.

I was in second for last lap pit stop and came out in third with 2 seconds ahead.

Great race! If not for the accident on second lap, I think I had a shot at winning it, but you never know really what’s going to happen until it’s over!

On to Brands Hatch

7CFE7F62-5FF1-404A-983D-361E46CF8F9D.jpeg

@Trone_Colby Your Supra was very slow, I can see why anyone would be frustrated stuck behind that, not that this is your problem at all of course, it's their job to get past you, not yours to just let them past and you didn't do anything dirty like blocks.

You need to do a better job when cars mess up in front of you though, you can't just expect them to stay ghosted so you can drive through them, otherwise you'll keep losing out like this.

Also part of the reason your Supra was slow was because you were shifting far too late, you need to shift very early in this car, easily less than half bar and then you won't burn fuel stupidly either, win win for you. ;)

I honestly tried. I didn’t expect that other Supra to dive right back on the racing line. I did lift but it wasn’t enough. That other incident was on that bonehead that was too eager to get back on track.

There seems to be a common theme in my manufacture races, it is that I keep plebbing qually and then gain spots in the race. The race was quite eventful and also not at the same time, but lap 1 was absolutely a massive code brown tho.

In slot 1, in Manufacture. I went from p11 to p6 with this strategy
8 M / 11 S / 1 H

I still struggle to understand how to go fast on a single lap here tho. That something I haven't figured out yet.

I'm actually a bit glad that most of the rounds we know of so far don't involve the need to use all three compounds - in fact, I think it's only one or two rounds in each series/cup per stage. I can't tell you how much I love the idea of only counting a fraction of the best rounds. It removes so much potential stress from the equation, y'know? Heck, if one really wanted to, they could sit out the entirety of the first two stages, then just do some rounds in the last stage, and still have a competitive score. It's why I'm not too bothered by the points being reset for the Manufacturers Series if you decide to sign with a different automaker. I did, of course, stay with Hyundai - especially with the recent buffs to both cars.

It's too bad we don't know the exact weather conditions for that Nations Cup Gr.3 race at Spa-Francorchamps, other than it's gonna be wet to some extent. I'd be curious if Heavy Wets or Intermediates would be better, and I'm thinking I'll pick the GR Supra Racing Concept for the car.

EDIT: And despite skipping last night's rounds, I'm still 7th in my state (out of at least 60), and I'm 12th for my manufacturer. Not bad!

National, caved in and learned how to love the bomb, or I opted for a hybrid since I only had time for one shot. Made pole by .6
In T1 p3 Punts me off and taps p2 too, then go on to win. Not a single sorry afterwards.

Well, carried on from p5, Got a track limit in Radillion because I was too eager. Made it up to p3, then promptly spun myself and wrecked my tires. Finished p5, Up 1200 DR.

Manu, Mustang. Started p7, finished p4, Up 800 DR.

Last edited:

edit: I will say that it does look like that guy tapped him heading into the previous corner, so there’s a good chance he wouldn’t have even had the opportunity to get his car along side if he hadn’t done that. I don’t think any of this was intentional or dirty driving. It was just lack of awareness.

He also got a kick off the curb as well which didn’t help either of them. If I were on the outside i wouldn’t have been too harsh on him for what happened. You can expect a driver to give you space but you can’t assume they won’t make an error and if your on the outside your going to come off worse.
I think people kick off far to easy in post game lobby before watching the footage back.

I agree, the inside car carried a little too much speed thru the apex to hold the inside line on the exit, but the outside guy was pretty brave for putting his car there on that corner too. :)

I agree apart from that I wouldn't use the term brave, stupid would be more appropriate. What is good in technically not being the one in the wrong when you are spinning around, as soon as you try to overtake around the outside there you are in trouble.

There seems to be a common theme in my manufacture races, it is that I keep plebbing qually and then gain spots in the race. The race was quite eventful and also not at the same time, but lap 1 was absolutely a massive code brown tho.

In slot 1, in Manufacture. I went from p11 to p6 with this strategy
8 M / 11 S / 1 H

I still struggle to understand how to go fast on a single lap here tho. That something I haven't figured out yet.

Just gotta say, love your PSN name :lol:

Thanks for your opinion. I guess I must pay more attention on the radar in the future...

Nations with 908

1st attempt qualified just worse than midfield. Crashed myself after the kemmel straight on lap 4 and quit after some rough bumps.
2nd attempt qualified 3rd. Failed to notice a R18 who started from 5th has gone off track on the right to try a overtake and need to rejoin the track, hit and spun to near last. Recovered to 12th for 116 points.

Manu, 650s. Door number 16, qualified 16th and finished 17th. Spend a couple laps marvelling how well Porsche ride on curbs, while knowing the mclaren will spin at my driving level. With racing hard tyre being used much more in next season, I don't expect any score from the car for me.

Decided to upload the Nation's race even though the first 1.5 laps got cut off. I really need to investigate if the Share feature can record more than 30 mins of video and if so, change the setting...

Also, since it's the end of Stage 1 and I didn't have these videos uploaded at the time, I thought I'd share some of my better races this Stage here too.

The fuel saving in the 458 Gr. 3 in Round 9 Nations really worked to my advantage, especially when starting high up on the grid, even though I kept bottling the Chicane of Death and got swarmed by non-fuel saving people:

Winning Round 7 in Manufacturers was a really nice victory considering it was Sarthe and I was in the 911. It was a fight for the entire race that came down to driving smartly and cleanly, and also luck, of course:

My first FIA victory came at Round 5 in Manufacturers. Fuel saving, starting up front, and taking advantage of the slipstream did wonders since no one else saved fuel, and I was still able to keep up with and fight the top people before the pit stops:

And because no one's perfect, here's a dirty race where I wasn't driving my best, but neither were most of the people here in my opinion:

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion. I guess I must pay more attention on the radar in the future...

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I'm just trying to offer another perspective. Usually there's something all drivers could have done differently to avoid incidents. He shouldn't have tapped you in the previous turn, and both of you probably could have been more careful in the final turn....which is a very difficult turn even when driving alone. The idea is that we all learn from these things, accept criticism along with praise, and hopefully we all improve together. Cheers.

Some unedited (so FF necessary!) FIA Manu Round 10 action. Lower B/S-Split. Startet 2nd and finished 2nd after leader got "Tire-Penalty". Lost it to a Porsche who was on better tires ...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Dude get it over it...
That is nothing!!! In real racing in average you get bumped probably 5 times in a 20 lap race.
The only reason is GTS has the worst car to car damage. You barely touch a car and they fly off the track.
But seriously that is nothing. He was on the offense last lap

Dude get it over it...
That is nothing!!! In real racing in average you get bumped probably 5 times in a 20 lap race.
The only reason is GTS has the worst car to car damage. You barely touch a car and they fly off the track.
But seriously that is nothing. He was on the offense last lap
Dude, Im fine with this:) Just was curious about opinions... I also understand that this russian player was in emotions just after race... Whole race we were close, he was clean all the time, then this happend... :cheers:

16:00 EST Nations Cup: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

What a frustrating race! I had been looking forward to this one since I saw it on the schedule. I just love racing the Gr.1 cars and love Spa. This was supposed to be the perfect combination....

I qualified 5th with the TS050 with 2 on the door (nose actually). I plan to start on hards to get them out of the way. On Lap 1, I make it through T1 (La Source) unscathed and I am already in 3rd on the Kemmel Straight. 2nd and I come into Les Combes side by side with me on the left for the right hander which gives me the inside on the lefty. I take the left tight and he still turns into me and knocks me in the sand.

It takes some time to get back on track but by then I am 14th. After that, I just raced until I pitted on lap 3 for mediums. I come out 17th and just hot lap it around. I eventually come in for the softs at the end of lap 10. Once I put those on, I was off to the races (pun intended).

On lap 13, as I am passing a SRT on his left on the edge on the Kemmel Straight, he decides to bump me into the grass. I am not sure how it was not intentional as you can fit 3 wide there and I was half a length ahead when he tapped me. We had been going back and forth for a couple of laps as it was, so I thought it would be a clean pass. So needless to say, on lap 14 as we were braking on the straight into Les Combes, I let him know that it was not appreciated and dumped him into the sand.

I did end up in 10th but it should have been top 5 at least without the lap 1 bump off...

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200530165049.jpg
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200530165105.jpg

17:20 Manufacturer Series: Autódromo de Interlagos

I hit the track with for on the door for my AMG. I start the race in 9th on hards. I pit on end of lap 2 in 9th and come out in 14th on my mediums. I immediately fall to 15th as a NSX was barreling down the the pit exits out to. I end up doing 11 laps on the mediums. I came in for softs at the end of 13 in 7th place as 5 ahead of me pitted the lap before. I grab my softs and some fuel and off I go.

I come back out in 9th and of course there is a car barreling down the straight as I exit the pit. He carried a little too much speed into the next turn and went off a little allowing me to pass and for him to get a penalty.

I drive in 8th all alone from lap 14 to 17. I gain 7th when someone pits as I start 18. He comes out right behind me but his cold hards are no match to my warm softs and I slowly pull away and come home in 7th.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200530180815.jpg
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200530180834.jpg

I wanted to do the Nations race again but I would have been mad if my result would have been worse. So I didn't do it.
On to the next one! See you on the track!

16:00 EST Nations Cup: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

What a frustrating race! I had been looking forward to this one since I saw it on the schedule. I just love racing the Gr.1 cars and love Spa. This was supposed to be the perfect combination....

I plan to start on hards to get them out of the way. On Lap 1, I make it through T1 (La Source) unscathed and I am already in 3rd on the Kemmel Straight. 2nd and I come into Les Combes side by side with me on the left for the right hander which gives me the inside on the lefty. I take the left tight and he still turns into me and knocks me in the sand.

It takes some time to get back on track but by then I am 14th.

I wanted to do the Nations race again but I would have been mad if my result would have been worse. So I didn't do it.
On to the next one! See you on the track!

This is something I also learned the hard way, it sounds like you’re pretty fast, but racecraft will take you further. If I started on Hards, knowing everyone else is likely on Softs, i’d drive my butt off to hold as many spots as possible, but not battle for those spots too hard. Once a car makes a move to pass, I let them by now With much less fight, only losing that one spot, knowing i’ll have the advantage back later on.

It’s hard to do, but in the long races, it works best. Likewise at the end when they are on hards, if they’re smart they’ll do the same. Just in case, attempt those passes only on the inside. If you try the outside, even the best drivers can make a mistake and ruin your race. The poor drivers just increase that risk.

It works for me.

I am looking forward to the n200 Nations cup race on Tuesday.
Just interested to know if anyone felt any difference between the two cars available? They both feel the same to me, although I haven't tried them on worn tyres.
That is the other thing I was wondering...... Anyone planning to make a pit stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back