FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking forward to the n200 Nations cup race on Tuesday.
Just interested to know if anyone felt any difference between the two cars available? They both feel the same to me, although I haven't tried them on worn tyres.
That is the other thing I was wondering...... Anyone planning to make a pit stop?
I think both have same exact stats, but this is what I think:
BRZ feels a bit easier to turn, but the 86 feels a bit faster; yet they get similar times.
Again, this is what I feel when I tried both of them out. Both were at BB +3.

No pit stop for me. Tried 0 and 1 stop; 1 stop is 8 seconds slower.

This is something I also learned the hard way, it sounds like you’re pretty fast, but racecraft will take you further. If I started on Hards, knowing everyone else is likely on Softs, i’d drive my butt off to hold as many spots as possible, but not battle for those spots too hard. Once a car makes a move to pass, I let them by now With much less fight, only losing that one spot, knowing i’ll have the advantage back later on.

It’s hard to do, but in the long races, it works best. Likewise at the end when they are on hards, if they’re smart they’ll do the same. Just in case, attempt those passes only on the inside. If you try the outside, even the best drivers can make a mistake and ruin your race. The poor drivers just increase that risk.

It works for me.

I usually do let them pass but I make them work for it.

In the Nations race, for the first incident at Les Combes, I think the guy just overturned or spun a little in to me. I am not sure if it was an accident or on purpose. He did go on to win the race and I know the guy who was in first dropped down the grid when it was just them two up top. I should have saved the replay to investigate but I didn’t.

The other guy I think was frustrated from us battling for a few laps.

Still unhappy with T16 Manu yesterday. Knew I could do great in qualifying but the car drove horrible. One grid spot higher up and I might've had a shot at podium.

Did final Nations for fun and won by 20 seconds. Not even ten laps of practice and my pace could've put me top 5 in T16 Nations.

I'll try to do a quick practice of all the ten next combos and then limit my practice. There's not that much to look forward to since most of the Gr3 combos are on hard tires and the GT-R is a bar of soap on hards.

So, tomorrow nights race will be provided cars?(no custom liveries?).
PD doesn't want us to put 600 anime girls on the cars. :(

200.gif

BRZ feels a bit easier to turn, but the 86 feels a bit faster; yet they get similar times.

I'd imagine that since they're both FR cars, you'd want to have the BB towards the rear to better-distribute the tire wear, right? Especially since the tire wear multiplier seems a bit high for this round. Should I be concerned about fuel, and thus tinker with the FM and/or short-shift?

Will S ranks go out between stages or only at the end of the whole season?

edit: “Each year, the players at the top of the rankings at the end of each FIA GT Championships Stage or Exhibition Series Season can register as "Star Players" on gran-turismo.com.”

Reads like they go out by stage.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_8113825.html

I can't check in-game right now but the invitations should be out!

I'd imagine that since they're both FR cars, you'd want to have the BB towards the rear to better-distribute the tire wear, right? Especially since the tire wear multiplier seems a bit high for this round. Should I be concerned about fuel, and thus tinker with the FM and/or short-shift?

Yep, the tyre wear is quite hard in this one. Not worth pitting for new tyres or anything but you'll definitely feel the wear in the later stages of the race. I've been using BB +3 to try and even out the wear, but could possibly go even more extreme than that.

Fuel isn't an issue. You have enough to go flat out to the end.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_8113825.html

I can't check in-game right now but the invitations should be out!
Thank you! I was able to register this morning before work.

This has by far been my best result ever, and I knocked out two of my three goals (reach A+ rank, win an FIA race, make S registration) for my first year into the game. Next up is breaking into the A+ DR bracket!

upload_2020-6-1_11-8-59.png

I wonder how much DR I will lose this stage if I do one single Manu race in the Alfa for each round? I’m guessing 10k plus.

I have decided that I will try one more Gr4 race - depending on that will decide if I continue to even bother with Gr4 or ignore it altogether. The GR.3 car is not bad at all, and there are some combos where you can have a chance for good points - for example at Brands Hatch. In any case, I will not bother too much with Manufacturer this season...

I have decided that I will try one more Gr4 race - depending on that will decide if I continue to even bother with Gr4 or ignore it altogether. The GR.3 car is not bad at all, and there are some combos where you can have a chance for good points - for example at Brands Hatch. In any case, I will not bother too much with Manufacturer this season...

I was just tempted to run them just to see how much DR I lose, the Gr.3 car isn’t very competitive in the upper lobbies, not as bad the the Gr.4, but still not great by any stretch. I might try it, I’m not sure yet.

Usually there’s a news bulletin and then the registration goes out, right?

Yeah, something like that, I can’t remember exactly.
Hey guys I just got an invite to register as a star player for the first time :) Had the game for 2 months and pretty excited! While filling the registration form, it's prompting me to match the requested format of the second line "Ex: J.Smith". I tried matching the exact format and tried a million other variations, it just didn't work. Anyone faced the same issue? What's the exact format?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

This has by far been my best result ever, and I knocked out two of my three goals (reach A+ rank, win an FIA race, make S registration) for my first year into the game. Next up is breaking into the A+ DR bracket!

View attachment 926126
Congrats!

I'm in EU so I can't tell how big are the differences (or if there is any at all) but I had set more or less the same goals as you before this season, A+ level, a 2** pts win and S rank (I had several wins in lower FIA lobbies but the feeling was the same at the time it happened!).

A+ is not too far away anymore, maybe at the end of Stage 2 ? But my biggest problem is the lack of consistency, basically it's either top 5 or last depending on my quali. I just can't deal with the mid-pack carnage yet!

The 200+ point win will hopefully come in the next stage(s) as well, if there's a combo that suits me well..

As for S rank, I could never have claimed it if I was in a country with a bigger playerbase. Still proud of that as Switzerland is not Malta nor Iceland though :D

I started GTS in October and FIA in February with the pre-season (scored 170 -> 290 -> 560 points in nations) so I still have tons of things to learn about (virtual) racing!

View attachment 926126
Nice! I'm still waiting on a Manufacturer's win at a road course against other DR A drivers.

Nations was fine, I love Spa but find it hard to fully max out the Gr1 cars there, so easy to overcook it on basically every corner with dire consequences for riding kerbs or going wide. There was also a speed differential between different tyres that tended to allow me to get alongside but not pass other cars in a lot of circumstances, I binned myself a few times after making over ambitious attempts to overtake.

I was in the Toyota TS050 Fuelsaver, I had around 1/4 of a tank left at the end and never filled it. When the tyres were good I was making progress through the pack, and when they were bad I fell back but by the end a handful of people got the minute penalty for not using all compounds and I came 5th. The scrapes on the front right were from a prang at Pouhon after perilously proceeding with the power pedal.

zqkpwcn.jpg

For Manufacturers I don't yet know if Mazda was the right choice (going to check out @Tidgney 's video that just went up for the lowdown there), but if I get to hear that rotary in half the manufacturer races, then whatever penalty I might suffer in slideyness or fuel consumption will still be worth it. I was both unlucky and lucky at Interlagos.

In qualifying I hit the main straight thinking I would just make it for a last ditch attempt at setting a time, a bit tense and slid round the last corner onto the straight, and took the outside line just missing the timer and so started from the back. Right, a recovery race, fine, I'll focus on SR and consistency. I had a great race with some close battles.

The best thing that happened though was on lap 7. Instant karma ....

The act of spinning my car out turned it into a missile that took them out. The ironing is delicious.

If the game replicates the real cars accurately, the BRZ and 86 have slightly different rear spring rates. The 86 should be more loose in the rear compared to the BRZ.

Manu Race 10 - Interlagos

The 3 stop strategy sunk me I think as I did not manage to balance pace with the fuel saving. To fiddle with the fuel settings every lap was distracting. I felt I lost more time than I would if I would have 2 stopped. Great lessons learned tho.

I'm pretty curious about how the "new" qualifying format will shuffle cards (or not).

I say "new" because I read in Famine's article that it "returns" ? Was it already 10 min in the first championships ? How were things back then, did it tighten the gap between the 20 pilots like I suppose it will ?

I'm pretty curious about how the "new" qualifying format will shuffle cards (or not).

I say "new" because I read in Famine's article that it "returns" ? Was it already 10 min in the first championships ? How were things back then, did it tighten the gap between the 20 pilots like I suppose it will ?

It's difficult to do a direct comparison as when we had 10 minute qualifying we also had fuel to deal with. So every qualifying session was 9 minutes of everyone revving the bejezus out of their cars to burn fuel followed by a period of "no, after you" at the last corner before a single flying lap.

Not sure how it will pan out now. Looking at Nations you could do an outlap, flying lap, immediately exit back to the pits, outlap and then maybe 2 further flying laps.

10 minutes of qualifying with no fuel burning in theory allows everyone to spread out a bit, but I'm sure there will be the usual fight to not be the lead car in a slipstream train.

It's difficult to do a direct comparison as when we had 10 minute qualifying we also had fuel to deal with. So every qualifying session was 9 minutes of everyone revving the bejezus out of their cars to burn fuel followed by a period of "no, after you" at the last corner before a single flying lap.

Not sure how it will pan out now. Looking at Nations you could do an outlap, flying lap, immediately exit back to the pits, outlap and then maybe 2 further flying laps.

10 minutes of qualifying with no fuel burning in theory allows everyone to spread out a bit, but I'm sure there will be the usual fight to not be the lead car in a slipstream train.
Oh those 9 minutes of fuel burning sound like a nightmare for my ears and brain haha!

Why do you say that "in theory" the field would spread out ? If everyone is able to do at least 1 good lap, it should bring all times a bit closer to each other in a leveled split ?

Haha, yes that's exactly what I meant. Everyone spread out on the track during qualifying. But.... this is GTSport and people do like to have a slipstream.
Well that's not my case because I have more trust in my own driving than in other's for now and I almost always do better when I qualify solo. Given also the fact that I don't train enough in lobbies, I usually miss my breaking points when in a slipstream, either too early or too late (ouch!). But I know that once I reach higher lobbies (A+) I will HAVE to do like everyone else if I want to have a chance to start up front... :/

I had my most successful FIA night ever on Saturday. In Nations, I started 7th and won the race for my first FIA win since I started playing! I was in a DR D lobby and only two of us used the TS050 (my Dortmund livery is below). I watched a few of the drivers in the top 3 take revenge on each other and knock each other out, while I cruised through avoiding them :). I used a 7S/7M/2H strategy.

BVB GR1.jpeg

I was bumped up to DR C for the Manufacturer's race and I was in my University of Maryland Beetle. I figured this would be more difficult, but I surprised myself and qualified on the pole. A little shaky in turn 1, but I pulled away from the beginning, increasing the lead to as much as 11 seconds at one point. I went with a similar tire strategy as Nations, going with 10S/8M/2H, and managed to hang on for the win!

MD Beetle.jpeg

I put in a LOT of practice for both of these races, showing that it really pays off. I did custom races vs. AI, and found GT League events where I could get used to the tracks.

I had one observation and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this too. After the Nations race, my brain was really used to the speed of the Gr 1 car. When I went to the Manufacturer's race right after, it felt like the Beetle was moving in slow-motion and I had so much time for my brain to process my braking points and turns coming up. It made it feel very easy to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back