FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
At my second try on Dragon trail with the Dodge , starting in 7th, i felt in 9th after surviving the first lap where the R16 with all the stored extrapower jumping in front of me.
After this i did a good come back , 1 stop no refuel , with no mistakes and consistents fast laps till the end .
This Dodge is great , i love it. Great fun , great race.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20190928222722.jpg

@CurbHog I was just in your lobby for Manufacturers. Was way back in 14th for the start though and ended in 17th. The Ring is a cruel mistress.

Edit: Someone lagged out during the rolling start and ruined the race for half the pack.

Last edited:
So I accidently misclick on car settings instead of warm-up and the track goes black and stays like that for the rest of warm-up and the whole of qualifying, rendering me unable to set a lap. I've been on a roll recently so it's really annoying that a glitch is breaking my stride.

Lots of other people had issues of their own so hopefully I won't be too lonely in the midnight slot.

@CurbHog I was just in your lobby for Manufacturers. Was way back in 14th for the start though and ended in 17th. The Ring is a cruel mistress.

Edit: Someone lagged out during the rolling start and ruined the race for half the pack.

I was on pole in this room and was unaware tgat happened. Curbhog epic race at the ring that was fun

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on pole in this room and was unaware tgat happened. Curbhog epic race at the ring that was fun
Oh I was wondering if that was someone from here. Saw the GTPlanet livery. I was following you through the out lap. Nice driving in that Mustang.

Oh I was wondering if that was someone from here. Saw the GTPlanet livery. I was following you through the out lap. Nice driving in that Mustang.

yeah alot better than my first race! Thanks for the good race, I have to work on my tire and fuel strategy on these long races

Yea, I remember your name from the lobby. This was my second try and I used a better strategy. Should have taken second, but I spun by my own at the end of the last lap.
Got 5th and that was at least better than the previous lobby.

You are right, it is a challenging and cruel track !

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, I'm cfawesome, the player you mentioned above who lagged out in your race. First of all I want to offer an apology for ruining your race, I have no idea why that happened. That is actually the reason I made an account on here a few days ago, was to see if anyone has any idea why that may be happening to me? I am on the wifi at my university which should be relatively strong. Every time I check the status of the network through the PS4 menu or on the GT Sport connection test it tells me I have a very good network environment. Basically what happens is I join a lobby and at some point before the event starts all the connections status bars go gray instead of green or yellow. From that point on its like I'm the only person on the track from my perspective. I can drive through any cars on the track and no one moves. This is really weird and has only been happening for about the last week or so. The strangest part is it doesn't happen every time, it seems to be random. I'm not sure if it is something I'm doing wrong but now that I know it can ruin other peoples races I don't want to enter until I get it fixed. I have tried restarting my console, reconnecting to the wifi, restarting GT Sport, and all of those at the same time and it doesn't seem to help any. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Also CurbHog youre a great driver, I really enjoyed our racing the first session of the Manufacturers. Sorry if I held you up during that race, I just couldn't string together any corners to save my life!

Well managed to improve in the final slot and in top split lobby again (seriously why cant they put me one group down)

Went with the Toyota again on controller with the plan to 2 stop, and bad a diabolical qualifying... 1.3 seconds up on my time before the chicane and I accidentally pressed the PS button which caused me to lose it all and end up qualifying in 20th, when I had the time for 9th -11th.

Had a decent race though and recovered to 11th by the end and was the top non R18 so I can live with that.

Well just my luck I wait until the last manufactures race of the night to give it a go and I get hit with the black screen of no participation. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll do something else...

I'm getting a bit puzzled by pitstop times after the 1.43 update which allegedly "unified" pitstop times for both online & offline.

Previously, pitstops in online are slower than in offline mode. But that's fine because you can test it in public lobby, running alone, and make adjustments to strategy accordingly. It's consistent between free run and race.

Currently, online pitstops are faster than before. However on SOME tracks it's still not as fast as offline. And to make confusion worse, if you test it in public lobby free run (not running a race), it sometimes gives the same times as offline, BUT if you do it in a lobby race it reverts back to the slower time. It's driving me nuts and I have no idea which mode (offline custom race/online free run/online race) I should be practicing and basing my strategy in.

Case in point from this season (all times in seconds, I'd love if people could test this also to make sure my game isn't bugged):
- Blue Moon A - same pitstops in lobby free run and race (pit 8.7 incl tyre change 4.1), not tested offline
- Maggiore East - faster pitstop offline (8.7 incl tyre change 3), online lobby and race is ~2 sec slower
- Fuji Short - faster pitstop offline and online free run (12.6 incl tyre change 5.4), online race is 2.8 sec slower (I made sure to tap the wall on entry to exclude the wall glitch effect - which has been patched anyway IIRC)
- Dragon Trail Seaside - same pitstop offline and online free run/race (10.4 incl tyre change 4.6)
- Nurb 24 - online free run faster (10.2 incl tyre change 5.2), online race is ~5.7 sec slower (timed from watching replay as I did a no stopper in the race), not tested offline

As you can see there's no obvious pattern.

The tyre change time is the same, but pit travel time is the one making the difference. For some reason in some situations the game cuts directly to the pitbox after entering the pits, and in others it waits a little while your car drives the pit distance from entry to box. I excluded refuelling time because god knows refuelling rate is different offline/online and there's no way to set it yourself (another oversight IMO, because while most FIA races are 7L/sec, the Supra Cup was 10L/sec, and it's much slower in offline and GT League races).

In my mind, they should do away with these "cinematic" pitstops cutting camera to the outside and make us drive to the pits in real time like in GT5/6. Make it consistent offline/online and among track layouts with the same pit length (currently tracks with many variants sharing the exact same pit can have slightly different times e.g. Maggiore, Kyoto, Nurburgring).

Maybe I'm just being too OCD but especially now with multiple strategies being viable in longer FIA races, getting these things unified and consistent is more important than ever.

Hello, I'm cfawesome, the player you mentioned above who lagged out in your race. First of all I want to offer an apology for ruining your race, I have no idea why that happened. That is actually the reason I made an account on here a few days ago, was to see if anyone has any idea why that may be happening to me? I am on the wifi at my university which should be relatively strong. Every time I check the status of the network through the PS4 menu or on the GT Sport connection test it tells me I have a very good network environment. Basically what happens is I join a lobby and at some point before the event starts all the connections status bars go gray instead of green or yellow. From that point on its like I'm the only person on the track from my perspective. I can drive through any cars on the track and no one moves. This is really weird and has only been happening for about the last week or so. The strangest part is it doesn't happen every time, it seems to be random. I'm not sure if it is something I'm doing wrong but now that I know it can ruin other peoples races I don't want to enter until I get it fixed. I have tried restarting my console, reconnecting to the wifi, restarting GT Sport, and all of those at the same time and it doesn't seem to help any. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Also CurbHog youre a great driver, I really enjoyed our racing the first session of the Manufacturers. Sorry if I held you up during that race, I just couldn't string together any corners to save my life!
Hey man, thanks for clarifying! No need to apologize. That sounds really frustrating. Not sure if I can offer any help, but I have encountered issues with the PS4's connection before. The system seems to just be super finicky when it comes to the network. Even on my 350mb/s fiber line mine would still drop connection when on Wifi. It has only since stopped after hooking it up to the hard line. Is that possible for you at your university?

Anyways, the start was the least of my issues so it didn't really impact me much. Just had never seen that happen before.

Well just my luck I wait until the last manufactures race of the night to give it a go and I get hit with the black screen of no participation. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll do something else...
Update: Sat out qualifying because I obviously couldn't see anything, but stuck around hoping it would let me race. Thankfully it did. Started dead last, went full out the whole time with two pit stops for fresh rubber and just enough fuel to make it another lap. Capitalized on many others misfortunes and had a good battle on the last lap to come home in 10th. If the driver I was battling hadn't messed up the last corner before the long straight which let me get past him, I would have had a chance at 9th. Oh well, I'll pocket the 1,344 points considering the alternative. 👍

Had zero plans to do Manu tonight but I threw myself in a practice room because I was bored. Realized that, yes, I'm still mega slow at the Ring but it meant that I could play the role of the tortoise trying to steal spots while others crashed.

Only one in front of me did so but ended up in a few battles. Video will come tomorrow but never imagined I would've had a fun race.

Did do Nations where I actually qualified decent and had good pace. Not much action, more trying to avoid a costly mistake.

Bonus: My Manu Wednesday race with the GT-R. Another fun race where I tried wringing a result out of a boat.

Had to race on all 3 slots in Manufactures to get a result I was satisfied with. I messed up my qualifying so I had to play the patient game and wait for others to make mistakes. I’m just glad this round is done and honestly don’t see myself doing Gr. 3 at Nurburgring 24h again. Just too much that can go wrong.

full

Ended up skipping FIA...
My mentality wasn't there and tracks like N24 do require some concentration.
Next is Lago Maggiore Centre reverse 30 laps gr.3 with Hards and Medium required to use.

Can see the mayhem at start

I'm getting a bit puzzled by pitstop times after the 1.43 update which allegedly "unified" pitstop times for both online & offline.

Previously, pitstops in online are slower than in offline mode. But that's fine because you can test it in public lobby, running alone, and make adjustments to strategy accordingly. It's consistent between free run and race.

Currently, online pitstops are faster than before. However on SOME tracks it's still not as fast as offline. And to make confusion worse, if you test it in public lobby free run (not running a race), it sometimes gives the same times as offline, BUT if you do it in a lobby race it reverts back to the slower time. It's driving me nuts and I have no idea which mode (offline custom race/online free run/online race) I should be practicing and basing my strategy in.

Case in point from this season (all times in seconds, I'd love if people could test this also to make sure my game isn't bugged):
- Fuji Short - faster pitstop offline and online free run (12.6 incl tyre change 5.4), online race is 2.8 sec slower (I made sure to tap the wall on entry to exclude the wall glitch effect - which has been patched anyway IIRC)

In my mind, they should do away with these "cinematic" pitstops cutting camera to the outside and make us drive to the pits in real time like in GT5/6. Make it consistent offline/online and among track layouts with the same pit length (currently tracks with many variants sharing the exact same pit can have slightly different times e.g. Maggiore, Kyoto, Nurburgring).
Thanks for that, I had noticed the same thing for Fuji Short. I tested in a free run private lobby and found the pit stop overhead to be 6.6 seconds for a tyre change only. Based on that, I chose a 2 stop strategy, but when I did an actual practice race with other people, I pitted when 0.5 seconds behind a driver, and came out 9.5 seconds behind them. That totally swung things in favour of 1 stopping rather than 2 stopping. I was very confused as to how this difference in timing was happening. So I guess this means we can only work out timings from actual practice races, which is of course a huge pain, as other cars will potentially slow you down, so it will be necessary to write a practice race off to let everyone drive off ahead, and then drive on an empty bit of track to establish timings.

I like the non-real-time stops, though, as I feel the pit stop overhead needs to scale with the fuel and tyre multipliers so that a pitstop has the same overhead as a % of the total race duration as the equivalent full length race.

Gr. 3 at Lago Maggiore - Center II (Manufacturer Series)? Very odd choice. I can already imagine cars getting lapped here.
I normally don't do FIA races, but the next races have my attention. Gr. B at wet RBR also looks interesting, and finally gave me an excuse to make a livery for one of the rally cars. I look forward to practicing in lobbies. :]

- Blue Moon A - same pitstops in lobby free run and race (pit 8.7 incl tyre change 4.1), not tested offline
- Maggiore East - faster pitstop offline (8.7 incl tyre change 3), online lobby and race is ~2 sec slower
- Dragon Trail Seaside - same pitstop offline and online free run/race (10.4 incl tyre change 4.6)
- Nurb 24 - online free run faster (10.2 incl tyre change 5.2), online race is ~5.7 sec slower (timed from watching replay as I did a no stopper in the race), not tested offline

As you can see there's no obvious pattern.

The tyre change time is the same, but pit travel time is the one making the difference. For some reason in some situations the game cuts directly to the pitbox after entering the pits, and in others it waits a little while your car drives the pit distance from entry to box. I excluded refuelling time because god knows refuelling rate is different offline/online and there's no way to set it yourself (another oversight IMO, because while most FIA races are 7L/sec, the Supra Cup was 10L/sec, and it's much slower in offline and GT League races).

Maybe I'm just being too OCD but especially now with multiple strategies being viable in longer FIA races, getting these things unified and consistent is more important than ever.

I do quite a lot of testing using custom race and pre the change to the pitstop times the difference in pit stop times was very frustrating so I was glad they equalised it between modes.

However I came across a similar issue to you when testing an FIA race at maggiore(one of the short versions) and through process of elimination found that the pit stop in free run or practise in a lobby was different to qualifying and race. I then checked it in custom race and it was same as lobby race. So I now no longer base pit stops of practise sessions in lobbies.

Il have to take a look through the list of tracks you have tested although i have looked at fuji short as I have footage of that from both a custom race and FIA race and pitstop was the same

In conclusion dont base pit stops off practise sessions. My tip is to watch a stream from another region on race day and confirm the pit stop time from that but so far I'm finding the custom race and sport mode race pitstops to match up

Qualifying was frustrating in Manufacturers. Firstly had an absolute idiot weaving in front of me, blocking me, refusing to let me overtake. When a gap finally showed I went for it and he barged me off the track. That meant I totally forgot about fuel and ended up running down that long straight in fuel map 6 :banghead: Qualified 12 and probably would have been around 5th.

In the race, had moved up to 8th on lap 1 only for major lag to set in and Nurb really isn’t the track to have 3-4 cars sliding around in front of you and of course that put me off and I ended up spinning off a couple of times. Finally came home in 10th.

Thanks for that, I had noticed the same thing for Fuji Short. I tested in a free run private lobby and found the pit stop overhead to be 6.6 seconds for a tyre change only. Based on that, I chose a 2 stop strategy, but when I did an actual practice race with other people, I pitted when 0.5 seconds behind a driver, and came out 9.5 seconds behind them. That totally swung things in favour of 1 stopping rather than 2 stopping. I was very confused as to how this difference in timing was happening. So I guess this means we can only work out timings from actual practice races, which is of course a huge pain, as other cars will potentially slow you down, so it will be necessary to write a practice race off to let everyone drive off ahead, and then drive on an empty bit of track to establish timings.

I like the non-real-time stops, though, as I feel the pit stop overhead needs to scale with the fuel and tyre multipliers so that a pitstop has the same overhead as a % of the total race duration as the equivalent full length race.

Yeah, thanks for confirming the discrepancy. Read your PM too. My overhead at Fuji is slightly faster but I time it differently (yours is prolly more accurate). The difference is still the same though, 9.5 minus 6.6 is 2.9 seconds. Driving the Pug Gr.4 I tried a 3 stopper that race and thanks to the discrepancy it's a complete write off :crazy: :lol: If I had known I would've just driven safe, try to extend my tyres and went 2 stops.

As you said it seems the only way to find out for sure is to do a lobby race, but not everyone has time to join a full session and it introduces other variables in the form of other cars.

IMO at current race length and tyre/fuel multiplier the pitstops are already well balanced. No stopping isn't really a viable strategy anymore and 1 stop vs 2 stops are quite close in terms of total race time. Having the pit stops speeded up even more is going to look real arcadey in the live event broadcasts :lol: If you ask me, I'd rather PD implement actual pitlane speeding rules so we have to brake and use pit limiter. Make it part of driver skill, no more this flying into pits and magically get teleported into pitbox nonsense.

I do quite a lot of testing using custom race and pre the change to the pitstop times the difference in pit stop times was very frustrating so I was glad they equalised it between modes.

However I came across a similar issue to you when testing an FIA race at maggiore(one of the short versions) and through process of elimination found that the pit stop in free run or practise in a lobby was different to qualifying and race. I then checked it in custom race and it was same as lobby race. So I now no longer base pit stops of practise sessions in lobbies.

Il have to take a look through the list of tracks you have tested although i have looked at fuji short as I have footage of that from both a custom race and FIA race and pitstop was the same

In conclusion dont base pit stops off practise sessions. My tip is to watch a stream from another region on race day and confirm the pit stop time from that but so far I'm finding the custom race and sport mode race pitstops to match up

Defo try out the Fuji Short combo again. Use the Pug Gr.4 as I did in case cars make a difference (I doubt it does but just to be safe). Breeminator and I found a difference between custom race/online free run and online race of about 2.8 seconds. I am positive of this because I had done all my testing in offline custom race. Then on race night I watched Nik Makozi's stream of the first slot 1 hour before my second slot race, and noticed the discrepancy, and went to recheck again in online free run to see if there's any difference. It gives the same time as offline custom race so I thought "Nice, I have a faster pitstop bug". Then of course in the ACTUAL race it's slower :ouch:

Last edited:
Update: Sat out qualifying because I obviously couldn't see anything, but stuck around hoping it would let me race. Thankfully it did. Started dead last, went full out the whole time with two pit stops for fresh rubber and just enough fuel to make it another lap. Capitalized on many others misfortunes and had a good battle on the last lap to come home in 10th. If the driver I was battling hadn't messed up the last corner before the long straight which let me get past him, I would have had a chance at 9th. Oh well, I'll pocket the 1,344 points considering the alternative. 👍

I don’t what’s worse that or 360degree spins with the AI taking a good 30 seconds or more to workout how to head in the correct direction in the pit lane, it’s like someone programmed them to try and head back into their garages :lol:

Nations combo was again a very cool and fun for me. Pole position by a big margin, race win by an even bigger one.

For Manufacturers I did the race twice. First one I got my qualy destroyed by a spinner in front of me, started 8th finished 6th. Second slot was better, started 4th and finished 2nd capitalizing on mistakes of 2 guys in front of me.

in manufacturers at Nurb 24, what was the preferred strategy? I did first 2 laps on hards, fuel at 4 on twisty bits and 1 on the longer straights where possible due to fuel. Then med on lap 2, fuel for 1.6 laps and fuel map 1 all the way for a finish in 4th. The fuel calculator on the pitstop was way off for range on fuel map 1. A full bore lap on fm 1 needed 1.4-1.5 laps of fuel without traffic to slipstream.

I was toying with a 2 stop strat w mediums, and throwing 1.6 laps of fuel in each stop. FM map 1 all the way. Did anyone try that with a good result?

Also PD fix the penalty system, enough with divebombers being rewarded by overcooking corners, hitting you, running off the track purposely and sticking you with the 2-5 sec penalty. Its just getting old at this point. Fun race in mfr though.

Looking forward to racing with you all again.

I was having a good race until somebody wrecked me on lap 17. Started 15, had a glitch start, so 10-20 started 10 seconds behind everyone else, made it up to 6th, than this happened

Can a virtual driver be happy with a tenth place? I did after my Fuji disaster.
I started the qualifying lap with the medium tires already destroyed and enough gas to complete the 24 hours without stopping, don't ask me how and why, when I arrived at the flugplatz curve, obviously I went straight to the wall and to qualify myself to qualify as tenth, I had to commit to 101%.
The race started, the strategy was 2 medium tire laps with short shifting in the initial part and full power and redline from Karusell to the end and the final lap with more fuel and full power redline the whole lap; arrival again at the flugplatz curve and away against the wall, car destroyed and last position. I patiently tried to remount and finish tenth at the finish line, maybe given the final classification I could finish sixth but never mind.

I'm literally scared of the next race, I think it will be a carnage.
EFl2eFOW4AAb5ZN.jpg

I was having a good race until somebody wrecked me on lap 17. Started 15, had a glitch start, so 10-20 started 10 seconds behind everyone else, made it up to 6th, than this happened

I bet he didn’t know you were there. Far too many people drive without radar. It looks like he’s just aiming for the racing line and ran right into you.

That is actually the reason I made an account on here a few days ago, was to see if anyone has any idea why that may be happening to me? I am on the wifi at my university...
... that'd do it.

WiFi is... okay if you have full control over it. If you're not very far away from your single home router, can fix your console's IP address in the router and in the console, and put the console in the router's DMZ... it's okay. You're still subject to the weaknesses of wireless - higher ping, packet loss, interference from other routers, interference from vacuum cleaners and microwaves - but it won't be terrible. You'll still want to be hard wired by preference, but as a home solution it will simply be not ideal to use WiFi.

If you have zero control over the WiFi, you're connecting to one of a bunch of routers used to expand the network coverage, your console grabs the IP address automatically from the router which assigns them to people joining and dropping out of the network - sometimes conflicting because the idiots have set their phones up stupidly - the uni doesn't open appropriate router port for gaming, the network address translation is set for security rather than accessibility (it's unlikely you'll have NAT type 2), and you've got 100 people around you all connecting to it to watch Netflix, torrent things of varying legality, Dropbox huge files, or even doing their uni work, you may as well just be yelling where your car is down a phone line.

Basically you're attached to a hugely and irrelevantly fast internet line that's not set up in any way for what you want to use it for, and you're attached to it in the wrong way...

... that'd do it.

WiFi is... okay if you have full control over it. If you're not very far away from your single home router, can fix your console's IP address in the router and in the console, and put the console in the router's DMZ... it's okay. You're still subject to the weaknesses of wireless - higher ping, packet loss, interference from other routers, interference from vacuum cleaners and microwaves - but it won't be terrible. You'll still want to be hard wired by preference, but as a home solution it will simply be not ideal to use WiFi.

If you have zero control over the WiFi, you're connecting to one of a bunch of routers used to expand the network coverage, your console grabs the IP address automatically from the router which assigns them to people joining and dropping out of the network - sometimes conflicting because the idiots have set their phones up stupidly - the uni doesn't open appropriate router port for gaming, the network address translation is set for security rather than accessibility (it's unlikely you'll have NAT type 2), and you've got 100 people around you all connecting to it to watch Netflix, torrent things of varying legality, Dropbox huge files, or even doing their uni work, you may as well just be yelling where your car is down a phone line.

Basically you're attached to a hugely and irrelevantly fast internet line that's not set up in any way for what you want to use it for, and you're attached to it in the wrong way...
Thank you for this information! I will be getting a wired connection setup before I try and race online again and hopefully that will eliminate this issue from happening again.

I am attaching a clip from the race of what things looked like from my point of view, it's not the whole thing but you get the idea. I really hope this will clear my name and prove I had no ill intentions in my poor driving, I just couldn't see anyone else on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back