FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So driving the OP Alfa 4C in this event means only I can mess it up?

First attempt qualify 3rd. Now, while the 4C is fantastic on tyres and has good pace at St. Croix B it is still a sitting duck on the straights. I get swallowed up by the pack, spin myself once and then get spun by an out of control Porsche to finish 17th. We must do better.

Second attempt, I only go and stick it on pole!!
The race starts and myself along with a Viper and a WRX have a small gap to P4. I really really wanted to work as a team to build a cushion and fight it out later. However they were hell bent on fighting for every corner. I spend most of the time following them around while they tussle for position while the P4 Porsche closes the gap. On lap 4 their tyres were going off and I retake the lead. At the end of the lap the Viper, WRX and Porsche all dive into the pits finally giving me clean air and no pressure to worry about. Its at this point I realise that following the fighting cars means my tyres are still in fantastic condition. On lap 6 I'm setting blue sectors and toy with the idea of staying out for a 7th lap, but think better of it and stick to the plan. The even better news is that obviously the cars behind weren't working together to close the gap and are still fighting with each other, and I now have an 11 second lead to P2. Couldn't believe I could pit from the lead and come out without losing the position. The trend continues and I'm able to drive within my comfort zone and cross the line with a 6 second gap for my second ever FIA win. Funnily enough my other win was an utterly boring race too!

I'd love to take all the credit but when my car is totally overpowered on tyre wear and the lobby worked to make my life as easy as possible it wouldn't really be right. Over the moon with the first decent result in a good long while though :cheers:

View attachment 881279 View attachment 881280

Congrats on the Dub man!! Way to go!! :cheers:

Not real happy. Qualified 7th, finished 8th. Very bumpy lobby. Tried a 2H/3S/4S strategy not sure how much I like it, this Meghane chews through front tires like they're nothing. May try a 3/3/3 next time.

Just did my first race. I qualified 4th and tried the 1H/4S/4S strategy but unfortunately it didn’t pay off and I came in 9th. Going to go again and try something different.

Argh, came in 15th. :banghead:

My DR didn’t take a big hit though. It’s still in the 28,000s. There were two S-rank DR drivers in the race that surprisingly placed even lower than me, so maybe that’s why.

Oh well, hopefully third time will be the charm.

I only had time to do the last Manufacturer's time slot tonight, and it went about as well as I expected, which is to say, TERRIBLY. I'd managed to set a practice time of 2:17.9XX in the Corvette, but even in practice I could feel like I was leaving too much room on the exit of corners. I just couldn't get a handle (literally) on this track. I was either missing apexes or leaving way too much room on exit. This surface feels lower in grip than other tracks, so maybe that's why I didn't like it. I qualified 12th and opted to do a 2-stop and start on hards since there were only 18 cars in this race. I basically had no pace in this race and wound up battling a Viper and an 86 to not be last. They were both faster than me but kept messing up corners, so I'd repass them. The 86 spun on the final corner before the start of the final lap, and the Viper got a slow exit in the same corner a lap later, allowing me to get the run on him and just barely beat him to the line. I was gifted another position due to someone with a tire penalty. In the end I finished 15th with 73 points, my worst performance since I got my G29 over Christmas.

At least Blue Moon Bay is next, which is literally my best track in the game (averaging better than 4th place for start and finish over exactly 200 races, with 70 wins). I wish they'd put more ovals in the Daily Race rotation, but with the penalties the way they are it might be a bad idea...

I had to do the last slot after coming in 13th on the third attempt. I qualified 8th this time. No complaints about that, especially since I couldn't catch a slipstream. For race strategy, I decided to copy @vvise since I had nothing to lose at this point. I started on softs and pitted on lap 5. And man, I have never had tires end in such bad shape before. They definitely died of death, as Super GT would say. After getting the hards on, I kept the momentum going and managed to gain a couple of positions. This was definitely one of my hardest fought races and I got my best result for the night, thankfully. My DR is back to where it was before all of this though. But despite how much trouble I had tonight, I do like the St. Croix tracks, so it was nice to do an FIA race on one.

full

Here are the full results of the race. There were also two other GT-R drivers in this slot, so that was reassuring. The Scirocco driver absolutely dominated. It was like we had an A+ player in the room. Crazy.

full

With this out of the way, I'm planning to do Nations on Tuesday. It should be interesting to race in the RE Amemiya RX-7. :)

Last edited:
@Master Weasel sorry if I led you astray with the tire strategy, not sure I stressed enough how much tire saving was going on lol. A 2 stop would have probably suited you better with only 1 lap on hards.

BB +5 to the rear, braking softer and 25m early on all corners, no heavy braking while turning, extra soft lines picked to minimize squealing.

Glad you managed to survive, you said it right this was a hard fought race for Nissan.

Really not liking these slipstream qualifying trains. It's making grid spots being more luck of the draw.

First Manu attempt went as well as I could've done but was only good for 9th. Second attempt, I ended up stuck as the conductor of a train but at least I wasn't starting from a deep hole. Race turned out to be a classic with action all the way to the final lap. Wish my stream didn't magically disappear because I was rather excited at the finish.

I'd forgotten the next race is 23 laps of Blue Moon Bay. I remember the last race there was pretty chaotic, but with the penalty system gone AWOL the below feels relevant.

Should be fun :)

hey look this side we don’t have to fix

bang kicks door (I don’t want ya spoiled bo)

This is my first time doing the Manufacturers Series. I have a DR B and SR S. I get matched with the same. So far, every race has been dirty as hell. Is it always like this?

Basically nothing went as planned last night. Didn’t find any slipstream in qualy so my 2:18.7 put me in 7th. I had a last minute lapse in judgment and started on hards, which was a dumb choice. I didn’t anticipate the aggressive mugging on lap 1, but I should have. Lost several positions, then forgot to pit after the first lap so I changed my strategy to a one-stop, which isn’t a good idea in the Atenza Boat. Found myself at the back of the pack before I started my stint on softs. After that I ended up having a lot of fun, but it was too little too late. Finished P13 for something like 125pts, my lowest yet.

I did however, have 2 of the most exciting laps of racing I’ve had in awhile in the backfield, so I made a clip. There were 5-6 of us fighting in a scrappy back and forth where we all managed to keep it pretty clean, amazingly. Battles like this keep me coming back. Respect to all these guys.

Last edited:
This is my first time doing the Manufacturers Series. I have a DR B and SR S. I get matched with the same. So far, every race has been dirty as hell. Is it always like this?
I think it depends on how low/high are you into B... In my experience, the more DR points you get the cleaner the drivers you meet. Obviously there are exceptions, as I am writting a team mate is about to be kicked off from our team for being a dirty driver and he is A S but generally speaking, better drivers, better races, more respect between them.

Last edited:
Are we thinking no pit stop for Nations tomorrow?
Did a lobby earlier and from my perspective there's nothing in it between a no stop or a 1 stop - but then I'm clearly not great at looking after my tyres! Fresher tyres at the end would reduce the chances of a mistake and you will be quicker so it depends on how much traffic you're going to fall back into I guess. I'm probably looking at pitting L5 or L6

Edit to this: Just ran a lobby against a similar rated driver who was doing similar times in practice. He was pole, me 2nd, I pitted at the end of L5 and had caught him by the last lap and a half. He didn't make any mistakes and his times gradually dropped off to the mid 1:35s while I was still lapping low-mid 1:34s. I probably could have taken the win had I been a bit forceful but be beat me - by 0.033s.

20200113_174651.jpg

Absolutely nothing in it time-wise as long as you stop early enough to make it count, but it all depends on traffic so you need a gap and it's around 7s for a tyre stop. Possibly a better idea if you're low down in the field rather than towards the front

Last edited:
Drove the manu race yesterday with the SLS AMG. I was pleased to be able to qualify 5th in my first quali lap. Managed badly the rest of quali so I couln't set a faster time even if I'm sure I could have done better.:nervous:

The race went pretty smoothly and cleanly. Started with RH tires and ran 6 laps with them. That was clearly not the best strategy, but I saw some drivers do 2 stops, while RH were required... I understood why after I pitted for the softs : i drove at least 5 to 6 seconds faster.
Finished 6th. My best result so far, and I enjoyed both the car and the fair play during the race.:cheers:

While getting back to form after more than 3 months away, I decided to race Manu yesterday on my second/for fun account. Haven't followed the discussions much either, but some things I noticed:

- Did they just remove penalties for contact now? I was a victim of ramming like I've never seen before. One guy totally missed his braking point and sent my car flying after the long straight of St Croix, but didn't get any penalties. This was after a chaotic accident with a pack of 5 cars that sent some of them spinning. Again, no penalties were seen.

- I raced on second split and the driving standards were surprisingly low. Saw one guy streaming later and he waited for another car to go in front so he could get on his slipstream only to overtake him aggressively and push him out of the road on the first turn. Really a tragicomic moment, and of course he (someone from the new Vortex team giving them a good reputation) totally ignored the other driver's comments after that and didn't offer an apology.

Don't know if this is an experiment for PD or what, but there's no way we can race without penalties. Actually, I think it's time they consider reworking the sportsmanship ranking so that the races won't put anti-social retards against serious, respectful drivers.

And I will insist on this: multiple tries ruined the FIA competitions for me. How many times I saw people saying "I don't care anymore, will have to do this again"... (until you get lucky I suppose?)

I just noticed that the in the upcoming race at interlagos, we are required to run Racing Hard/Racing Medium tyres.

Does the "/" mean "and" or "or"?

in other words are were required to run both compounds? or just one of them at least?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 21.46.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 21.46.45.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 11
Here is a race edit from last night Manufacturers race.
I had a great qualifying and started second on the grid. I got out among the first and then
the Lambo on pole overshot the first turn and I went on the inside and was getting the number 2 car, an Audi TT, on my right side, so we were heading for the second turn basically three wide.
You have to see the rest.
Shout out to my coach for this race @Racer294 !! :cheers:

Attachments

• EOLmaHLX0AAdC1P.jpeg
    EOLmaHLX0AAdC1P.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back