FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
In yesterday's Manufacturer's race I qualified 11th and finished 9th in the Scirocco. I'm not really crazy about the sprint races on hard tires. I much prefer to have multiple tire compounds to choose from and/or some pit/fuel strategy involved to make it more interesting.

I tried a few laps with the X2019, I haven't really driven that much before. It looks like that will be a lot of fun once I get used to it. I then watched Pigems' top 10 replay and realized, "Oh, you don't lift off the throttle at all through that whole section after Turn 1!" :). Not sure if I'll be able to do that, but it is something to shoot for 👍.

I am not looking for massive views but a reminder that this grid start will have more run to turn 1, but can easily look a lot like Tsukuba in the Gr. B cars. And yes I know this will be running the other direction.

Rest assured it will be ugly the first lap. The X2019 is so fast and corners so well, combined with people who can use it to it’s full potential and others who will be unsure and driving it completely differently and far too easily at times. I expect carnage. But seasons Gonna be over, so, lol.

I've gotten down to mid 1:25's with the X2019, but this is a brand new track to me. And it's nothing like the opposite direction. It's not feeling like it could be a very racey circuit, but still need another 15-20 laps to feel solid about what I can bring to the race.

Any tips on driving the X2019? When I brake, the way I've been releasing the brakes/trail braking in other cars to help the car rotate into/ease into a corner doesn't really work with the X2019, it seems like, from watching the top replays and seeing some people in a test lobby, it's more about getting off the throttle for rotation and only trail braking if you're not trying to induce any rotation?

Any tips on driving the X2019? When I brake, the way I've been releasing the brakes/trail braking in other cars to help the car rotate into/ease into a corner doesn't really work with the X2019, it seems like, from watching the top replays and seeing some people in a test lobby, it's more about getting off the throttle for rotation and only trail braking if you're not trying to induce any rotation?

I found for the hairpin corners, which I assume you’re probably having some issues, braking earlier than you’d think and coasting until mid corner works.

Due to the cars quick buildup of power, they will push on exit if you get on full throttle too early. Really down to a bad default diff setting than anything.

If I were a testing car person, I’m not but I’d use Catalunya or Autopolis. Catalunya is a balanced circuit and Autopolis has a variety of corners.
I don’t test tho, I think you have to test in race in sport mode to really find out about how they shake out. :)
I agree with Autopolis. Direction change, a straight to test power, slow corners, long corners, off camber hairpin, esses, double corners (left and right), hard braking areas.

Raced the Renault this season and can tell you the Trophy is really stable, has good brakes, fun to drive and quite economical on tyres and fuel but the straight line speed is low, and that can be frustrating on trakcs like Monza, Fuji, RBR etc. on Laguna Seca and Sardegna it is awesome though.
The RSO can be a real bitch to handle.
I used the FF Megane and the RS01 for a few races. Found the GT3 okay, but the same as the Slophy. I got killed at Monza, but the braking and cornering at Maggiore kept me alive.
I still wish for an option to choose Gr.4 or GR.3, for points separation.

Only did manufacturer.

Was the only Renault trophy in the lobby, qualy 2nd .070 from pole and .600 from the 3rd, me and the french guy that took the pole kept our positions and fight each other until last corner, he overdrive in last chicane in the last lap got dirty tyres and i took 1st place in the last corner XD got fast lap on the race also.
Fun race and clean fight with the french guy big jump on DR since my door number was arround 16/17.

upload_2020-8-7_11-14-29.png

Right, I'm ready for next season. Looking to improve in the Gr4 class considering 7 out of 8 of my scores came out of the Gr3 class. Should tell you how unbalanced it is, lol.

After Tokyo I shouldn't have one single score from Gr4 races and I've done nearly all of them.
It's funny, because for my uneasy feeling for the Cayman lately, and the fact that I almost didn't pick Porsche at the start of the year because I couldn't get to grips with it in testing, half of my 'counted' scores, and 2 of my 3 podiums in the Manufacturers Series (and only win) are in that car in the Gr4 events. So it's a real feel thing for me, and track-by-track I guess. I am not sure I plan to change in the next season...

PS: also tells you how wicked fast you are in that GT! Unbeatable. Nice Tokyo FP time! You are crazy fast.

Last edited:
It's funny, because for my uneasy feeling for the Cayman lately, and the fact that I almost didn't pick Porsche at the start of the year because I couldn't get to grips with it in testing, half of my 'counted' scores, and 2 of my 3 podiums in the Manufacturers Series (and only win) are in that car in the Gr4 events. So it's a real feel thing for me, and track-by-track I guess. I am not sure I plan to change in the next season...

That sounds about right with the Porsche perfectly balanced. Although that Corvette is just a joy to drive and listen to!

Did a bit of FP time at Tokyo (and Sardegna), though I am not sure I can run the final round of races Saturday. It's a bummer that the last race is at a HP track, when the Porsche's advantages aren't likely to result in anything worth keeping.

Brings up a point: one of the things that drives me crazy about the way people race in GT Sport, at least at any level below A+, is how people move under braking to cover the apex, when a legitimate passing opportunity exists. (Not a dive-bomb). It is why Red Bull Ring is nearly un-raceable, and why the Porsche 911 RSR isn't very effective at HP tracks-- it's advantage is the best brakes in the field, but when people move under braking, it negates the opportunity to battle fairly with it.

The only chance I'd have at Tokyo is to slipstream and pass at the last hairpin, and possibly also the first one (though that is more of a sweeper at the apex). But I am certain, like always, that people will move under braking and invite contact, and with the penalty system as it is, and the carnage that can happen when that happens (you wouldn't dare do it IRL because: injury and damage and $$ and actual stewards), there is no chance for an underpowered car, even with the best brakes in the field.

It's one of the reasons the game isn't a real racing 'sim' because it happens freely and extensively in the game, but in real life people would be penalized and put on probation for it after just one or two times. But in the game, I see people do it all the time.

That's why it's so hard to take advantage of the Porsche's best weapon, and why passes like this are really rare. Credit to this Audi driver for the fair play, but it isn't the norm. So even if I run Tokyo this week, I don't expect a top-10 finish.

Did a bit of FP time at Tokyo (and Sardegna), though I am not sure I can run the final round of races Saturday. It's a bummer that the last race is at a HP track, when the Porsche's advantages aren't likely to result in anything worth keeping.

Brings up a point: one of the things that drives me crazy about the way people race in GT Sport, at least at any level below A+, is how people move under braking to cover the apex, when a legitimate passing opportunity exists. (Not a dive-bomb). It is why Red Bull Ring is nearly un-raceable, and why the Porsche 911 RSR isn't very effective at HP tracks-- it's advantage is the best brakes in the field, but when people move under braking, it negates the opportunity to battle fairly with it.

The only chance I'd have at Tokyo is to slipstream and pass at the last hairpin, and possibly also the first one (though that is more of a sweeper at the apex). But I am certain, like always, that people will move under braking and invite contact, and with the penalty system as it is, and the carnage that can happen when that happens (you wouldn't dare do it IRL because: injury and damage and $$ and actual stewards), there is no chance for an underpowered car, even with the best brakes in the field.

It's one of the reasons the game isn't a real racing 'sim' because it happens freely and extensively in the game, but in real life people would be penalized and put on probation for it after just one or two times. But in the game, I see people do it all the time.

That's why it's so hard to take advantage of the Porsche's best weapon, and why passes like this are really rare. Credit to this Audi driver for the fair play, but it isn't the norm. So even if I run Tokyo this week, I don't expect a top-10 finish.

One of the reasons I opted to go with a power car was because at some point in every race you'll need that power. If you can perfect the handling in a power car you'll be really hard to beat, almost impossible to pass cleanly. It's all about that exit speed with the power cars and getting a great run going into the next turn.

I just have to keep up in the turns and park it on the apex when needed then I'm gone with the acceleration. You really have to work at it though frustrating sometimes not carrying the speed you want in the corners but you can offset that.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, imo.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I opted to go with a power car was because at some point in every race you'll need that power. If you can perfect the handling in a power car you'll be really hard to beat, almost impossible to pass cleanly. It's all about that exit speed with the power cars and getting a great run going into the next turn.

I just have to keep up in the turns and park it on the apex when needed then I'm gone with the acceleration. You really have to work at it though frustrating sometimes not carrying the speed you want in the corners but you can offset that.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, imo.

That's why I initially went with Jaguar because it has decent power. However, the thing turns like a lorry. All PD had to do was change the camber a bit and it's a different cat altogether. I think I have my next car picked out, but I'm still doing some testing.

That's why I initially went with Jaguar because it has decent power. However, the thing turns like a lorry. All PD had to do was change the camber a bit and it's a different cat altogether. I think I have my next car picked out, but I'm still doing some testing.

I've used the Jaguar before and it's a great car but I agree on the turn in, helps to be in a MR power car. Lamborghini, Ford, McLaren, Audi all come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back