FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll turn in my race report later. I got schoolwork to do.

For now, here are a few pieces of advice for Goodwood:

1: As @Mistah_MCA has stated in his guide, slipstreaming is essential in qualifying. Get out of the pits as soon as qualifying starts and try to hitch a tow to someone ahead.

2: In both qualifying and race, remember that Goodwood will punish the slightest error. Carrying a little too much speed into a corner or turning in too early or too late can ruin your lap or race.

3: In the race, the inside line is king. If someone sends one up the inside and you're caught on the outside, chances are, you're getting shoved off. This race is part sumo match, part consistency and part concentration.

4: If you go off, make sure to rejoin safely and give way to approaching cars until you get back up to speed. My Race 3 was ruined because some idiot in an Aston went off at the right turn before St. Mary's and slammed me off as I turned left. Don't be that guy.

EDIT: One more thing I forgot:

5: Remember that you are starting the race on STONE COLD HARD TYRES. Take it easy for the first couple of laps. A lot of people, including myself, went off at Turn 1, forgetting that our tyres were cold. Thanks to @Zorz for reminding me of this detail.

Last edited:
Started 7th, finished 10th. Was up to 5th by lap 2, guy in an Aston passed me at the chicane, subsequently went through the chicane at 9 miles per hour, I got three seconds for hitting him off. Really annoyed by this, I have pace and consistency here. I'll be going again.

Ed - I remembered this wrong - I drifted wide the corner before as I was getting up close to 4th. Aston then went past me because he'd basically need to come to a complete stop to avoid doing anything else, and basically did a Sainz at the chicane. I'm still annoyed.

Manufacturer Series Round 6

Attempt 1
Well that was a bit of a disaster. Joined the lobby and had a 1-bar connection for some reason. I've NEVER seen it go that low before, even when streaming. Ended up turning the stream off but no difference whatsoever.

Started P11, understeered off turn 1 on lap 1 and 2... and still somehow finished P11. The lap 1 mistake felt weird - the car really didn't feel right. Possibly due to a bad connection whilst in slipstream? I have no idea. The lap 2 one was entirely me screwing up though.

And then just for good measure, an Aston Martin that I had been chasing very closely for the last few laps had a poor exit to the chicane on lap 15 and then tried pushing me into the wall because I got a good exit and had a run on him towards the line. Thankfully his little move backfired spinning him out and causing him to lose several positions mere meters from the finish line. The karma for that little piece of extremely dirty driving was bloody quick.

And then of course, the connection test comes back with a perfect result after the race... :odd:

Probably going to go again. If I can ruin myself and then still finish that high up...

Was also in with @xxPinkyKissxx, so I guess my warning about steering clear of me actually had some merit :lol:

Edit: I did record the race locally after stopping the stream, but I can't be bothered uploading it in full, partially because of how atrocious my driving was at the start. :P However, here's a snippet of the Aston Martin at the end.

Attempt 2
In with @stpatty this time! Much more competitive lobby, I could only qualify in P15 this time. Thankfully, I didn't bin myself. Worst thing I did was accidentally cut the right-hander heading into St Mary's on lap 4 and get myself a 0.5s penalty, which didn't make me lose any positions.

I had a near heart attack at the end of lap 1 as the Porsche I was following lost it on the kerb coming out of the chicane and spun. I was pixels away from tapping it after it had spun and getting myself a massive penalty.

Ended up P11 in the end, although with slightly less points (99) than before (101). I'm not going again, I just don't have the pace to compete here. I don't know if it's the Mitsubishi's poor straight line speed or if I'm just not great at Goodwood (probably a bit of both!), but I really don't see myself getting into the top 10 unless I roll into a really weak lobby.

Last edited:
803970A5-1C7B-4C5F-BE61-83A389985B9B.jpeg

Argh feel like I blew a good result. Felt good in warm up getting a 1:14.9. Qualified 8th putting me the right side of the chicane.

9E106038-B5C8-4334-A3C4-112DAE60EA96.jpeg

Started well and was briefly up to 5th by lap 3 but settled nicely into 6th and was very comfortable slowly building a gap but then on lap 5, just caught the grass by a tiny amount on T1 and spun off. Kicking myself!!! Worked my way back up to 8th but ended up going slightly wide again at T1 on lap 13 and lost a place. Want to go again but don’t have time. Could have been worse so will settle for this.

Good to see @Zorz again. That explains why you disappeared from my mirrors at the start :lol:

I overtook someone! Like, a real passing move! On Goodwood!

I'm terrible in qual so I started P13 with a time TWO SECONDS slower than my best free practice time, and I finished P6 without any incidents whatsoever.

And I only actually overtook one car in the whole race (who overtook me later on :P).

Think I'm going to call it one and done, not likely to improve my points and 15 incident free laps on Goodwood in a row is pushing my luck already ;)

Second attempt, started 5th, finished 5th, but I had to work for it. Should definitely have been 4th, could probably have been 3rd as the guy who won my first attempt died in the last few laps. My last lap was my fastest (16.0) which was really annoying, but I'm happy.

Good to know @Zorz has more than just me as a jinx though.

So - as said before, high hopes in my first FIA race on A+.

Manufacturer's Cup - Viper in the Goodwood

1st slot - did a mediocre qualy putting a 15.2 which was only good for P7 in a lobby that was half A/half A+. I kept it close to the cars in front but I did the same mistake twice in lap1 and lap2 running wide on the grass on start/finish line. This cost me two positions and was stuck in P9 behind a red Mitsu. I struggled for about 9 laps until I managed to get past and had to settle for 8th. My pace would deserve more so I went again.

Slot2 - disconnected before matching.

Slot3 - I was matched in a much stronger lobby, being #20 in the room. But this time I managed to get a better quali, putting in a 15.0 lap which was enough to start P3. In front there were two Audi's and based on the Q times I was pretty sure that I won't stand a chance against them without a mistake. Started well, kept close, and to my surprise they started fighting right from the start. The British that started in P2 managed to get past the French that had pole before the chicane in 2nd lap, compromising his line - I managed to get past at the same time and get P2. However, he was much faster and he was attacking me at every corner. I let him pass in lap4 as it was costing me time to fight and the cars behind were closing in. Then tried to hang with him, but without a chance. Rest of the race was me driving as fast as I could and defending from the attacks of a purple Scirocco. Twice we were side by side in St.Mary, only for him to back off as he was on the outside. Then he was recovering in the slipstream and I was pulling a bit on the exit from the chicane. He managed to keep it in my slipstream until lap14 when he did a small mistake at St. Mary and I pulled away securing my 3rd place and 247p. This was by far my best result since I started GT Sport.

I was in the slowest car, the Mustang. Door number 13, Q18, ran off in T1L1 to be DFL.
But made it back up and finished as p12.
Got called dirty in post chat, accused of blocking by a guy that passed me 3 times on 15 laps...
PS_Messages_20200930_234242.jpg

Taking a slower route through the chicane meant a better, faster exit and a run up to Madgewick and Fordwater
PS_Messages_20200930_235240.jpg

Sometimes I could pull away, other times I could apply pressure.
Made maybe 6-7 real overtakes and gained some from others misfortune.
But if someone had a run on me I gave up the placement.

Last edited:
was not sure i even wanted to race...

Rotten day at work, we had a fire at the facility I was stationed so got home from work about 2245 hrs, still all wound up.

Decided to have a go anyway, and also decided not to follow Misha's wise advise and avoid slipstreaming due to lack of confidence in my own abilities and that of theothers.

my lobby had 5 Peugeots and a few Siroccos so knew i had no advantage there... my first qualifying lap went actually quite okay but all other laps i messed up and ended up 7th on the grid. still better then expected.

Start went okay, gained two places as others messed up, so after 1 lap there were 4 RZC's and an M4 in the top 5. The BMW made a mistake and got of track so i was in fourth. But the Beemer catched me again quickly and went past me easily when i made a small mistake turning a corner. He ended up in second place and i was impressed by the drivers skills!

From that moment I knew the top 4 was faster then me so I concentrated on keeping the car in 6th place behind me. Was anxious every single lap but made it to the end without incidents and happy taking 5th and SR back to S.

Another good race in the end but have to say that chicane was getting tighter each lap! really a nerv wracking track!!!

upload_2020-10-1_0-21-24.png

I'm almost ashamed to say this was my first real experience of Goodwood. Had driven it for a few laps but didn't like how it was tarmac or carrots and had avoided it ever since.

Now I love the place!

Entered the first slot along with @Hasnain282

I wasn't sure what to expect, my pace in the Ferrari in practice was good, so needed a good qualy to make it work. Had the worst qualy session ever! Got baulked on three of my flying laps, including one who decided to abandon, but before he did - slammed on the brakes through the right-left so I had to avoid him (this has been noted!), then two drivers crawling through the right near the start of sector 2. In the end a woeful 15.5 (had done a 14.7 in practice) and 17th.

Started the race, closed in on 16th towards the end of L1 and I KNOW it's not a straight run towards the right hander but he definitely altered his racing line to block, I run wide... 20th place.

Driving back through behind a Peugeot who was clearly slow, and very slow through the final sector. After following for four or so laps he overslowed through the double right towards the end, I went for the inside, contact, 3s penalty. Back down again.

From there it was just a case of picking up what came to me. Closed in on the Peugeot again at the end, he hit the chicane on L14, and I ended up in the same position I started - 17th.

I had some real pace around here in the Ferrari, capable of sub 19m, but an awful qualifying (not all my own fault) and a horrible race situation led to my worst result of the season. I'm off work at the minute so was very tempted to run again but my intention this season is to run every race and run every race once, so I chilled out on Dark Souls...

Dark Souls for chilling out... says everything!!

Just didn’t get the qualifying lap I wanted. But an okay 11th. Clean race until about midway when guys started to drop off. Managed to fight to 7th. But a three wide attempt at the chicane (which I backed out of) cost me 2 spots. But luckily another guy spun off. Ultimately ended up 8th. Probably, could’ve been 5th. But that’s racing.

Decided to race tonight last minute, had done a couple practices yesterday, but hadn’t done a lap yet today and didn’t decide to race until 5 minutes before race time. :lol: It was a pretty quiet race for the most part, qualified P6 and just kept it on the track. I was running P5 for a while after P5 went off. Then, on lap 13 I got a gift, P3 spun and took out P4 just before the chicane and I was able to pretty much cruise on to a P3 finish after that. One and done for my first Wednesday race of the season. :)

569AEB44-29FE-43BF-88D9-5D51DCC4F281.jpeg

Last edited:
Slot 1 was interesting, to say the least.

Like some others, I had one of the worst qualifying sessions I've ever had. 10 minutes on such a short circuit and I couldn't get one clean lap in. First, I forget about cold tires and put myself in the grass. Then I get hit by people swerving every which way. When I did manage to start a decent flying lap, I'd come to a corner clogged up by three cars with no way around them. My best lap was the one where my only huge error was running wide at Woodcote before the chicane. I landed in P11 which pretty much put me smack dab in the chicane for the start.

One good thing about my DR is that people make a lot of mistakes and on a circuit like this, several of them haven't figured out the racing line yet. I gain several places L1 as people either run wide or just flat out bin it. I manage to pass 2 guys on the inside of Woodcote as they got distracted by bumping into each other trying to get into the corner. I eventually find my pace and get over the fact that the Viper who pushed me off the track in the chicane didn't get a penalty. I manage to grab a slipstream or two and join a pack chasing P4. I eventually make it up to P4 and then I get PD'd. First, I get a 1 sec penalty when someone bump drafts me. Then, get run off the track for a second time by the same guy in the Viper (who still doesn't get a penalty). I end up crossing the line in P6.

It was actually a pretty fun race. I was expecting it to be either total carnage or rather boring. It was only slightly carnagey and not boring at all. I don't know if I'll run one of the late slots or not. The points are decent for me and I'm not necessarily sure I could do any better later tonight. I'm probably skipping the next Nations, though. The e-Tron on Fuji just wasn't fun at all on my practice laps.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200930174140.jpg

Last edited:
I was in a lobby with @KosmoKazi for the second slot. I qualified 7th, but my race was ruined on the first lap by this Atenza driver who I got the jump on at the start.

Totally deliberate, because you don’t brake that late for that turn, especially when the tires are still generating heat. And then they immediately left the lobby once the race was over. Way to make yourself look innocent. :rolleyes:

FIAGTC 2020-2021 Exhibition Season
Manufacturers Series
Race #6 - Gr4 / Goodwood Motor Circuit

Honestly, I think I'm about ready to quit this game.

Drew #20, which was good because I was adjusting to the new AXC TrueBrake that I installed this week. Figured this was a good race to try it in, with only light braking on this weird track.

Qualified 9th, was on pole at the 5:00 mark after a good start but couldn't keep it without getting in the draft line. Was just hoping for a nice clean top-10 finish finally, especially with the low ranking I had in the lobby I was matched in.

Started good, was up to 7th by lap two after avoiding some issues and helping some others to also avoid problems. Then was punted by a guy who just had to have the apex at the kink before St Mary's. Race over. Tried to see through the red mist to finish it out, but what's the point. Ended up 19th after one guy rage quit.

8574951560134525464_0.jpg

Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport '16
Qualified: 9th
Race Finish: 19th (43 pts)
Door #20

Might be the last race I play in a while. Sick of the BS online. Go ahead, tell me how it was my own fault. There's always someone here who is glad to help explain these things. But I don't give a 🤬, I'm sick of getting pushed around here with no consequences. It's not a fair fight.

Last edited:
Totally deliberate, because you don’t brake that late for that turn, especially when the tires are still generating heat. And then they immediately left the lobby once the race was over. Way to make yourself look innocent. :rolleyes:

I was braking in my Mazda a little past the end of that side road that crossed the track. Even if his tires where at optimum, he wasn't going to make that corner.

Might be the last race I play in a while. Sick of the BS online. Go ahead, tell me how it was my own fault. There's always someone here who is glad to help explain these things. But I don't give a 🤬, I'm sick of getting pushed around here with no consequences. It's not a fair fight.

Looks like he hit the curb. I'd argue it was just a racing incident. Nobody really at fault. And even if you guys made it clear, then you're in the same spot 50 meters down track just in the opposite position. He should've waited half a lap and tried down the tightening right.

What sucks is that when you went across the track later on, you didn't ghost, costing the Viper his race as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back