First Car

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaProfessor
  • 61 comments
  • 2,354 views
Messages
93
Whats good first car cause i get me license during the summer and iam hoping to get a car by summer time.Iam looking for a car between 3,500-6,500
 
Oh man you should buy a madd tyte skyline.

Whats your criteria for your car?
 
Whats good first car cause i get me license during the summer and iam hoping to get a car by summer time.
Um, could you be a little more vague?
 
Whats good first car cause i get me license during the summer and iam hoping to get a car by summer time.

Hmm..

Do you require wheels?
What form of locomotion do you want?
Do you require a vehicle made of wood, steel, or something else?
How many seats?
What do you want it to be powered by?
do you want a roof?
Reliability?

Based on your criteria, I put forth the suggestion of the fisher-price cozy coupe. It seats one, is Mid-engined, and has a grocery rack about the size of that which is found in the smart fortwo. It has wheels, a door, a storage tray, and is painted orange. that means it's fast and your insurance will cost more.
 
Whats good first car cause i get me license during the summer and iam hoping to get a car by summer time.Iam looking for a car between 3,500-6,500

3,500-6,500 what? Where in the world are you?
 
I hope its not in Yen, because he won't be getting much...
 
Since you're new here I'm gonna cut you some slack, this time.
IN your price range if talking USD (United States Dollars)
I would recommend
Toyota Camry ('97-2001)
Honda Accord (same vintage)
Ford Taurus
Ford Focus
Toyota Corolla
Hit www.autotrader.com
The site is pretty self explanatory.
Search by price. Viola!
 
Damn, you guys get your cars so damn cheap in the US!
I really envy you, seriously
 
I'd say Jetta or some older Japanese car.
 
hey, n00b, fill in your data as to location at least

Beerz: don't envy us. a 10 thousand dollar car in the US is now 8 to 10 years old, and is 160-200k km on it, nowadays. I paid 1700 bucks for a 270k km Surf.
 
Get a Hyundai Excel, and oh wait, that's a girl's car. From the list above- get a Ford Taurus. That sounds good- or does it?
 
A 4th generation Celica is quite cheap, and very tough in an accident... as I found out today.

Recommended! :)
 
like a new driver can afford to insure a celica.
 
Well, If he's from the US, it won't be a problem at all.

Thats not fair :grumpy: My insurer won't cover a 2 litre car until im 21, needless to say i will probably end up changing.
 
Thats not fair :grumpy: My insurer won't cover a 2 litre car until im 21, needless to say i will probably end up changing.
Oh someone will, but bear in mind it was £1450 for my 1.4 Almera, and £1500 for a mates 1.0 Polo, it's gonna cost you. And neither of our cars are anywhere near new.
 
Oh someone will, but bear in mind it was £1450 for my 1.4 Almera, and £1500 for a mates 1.0 Polo, it's gonna cost you. And neither of our cars are anywhere near new.

Yeah i expect so, im paying same as you for my 1.6 Seat Toledo (R reg) with Quinn Direct. Same as my previous car when i amended my policy which was a little surprising. :sly:
 
Damn, I thought I had a biggish first car. Quinn direct good on young drivers? I'm with Motor Direct at the moment, cheapest I could find. No idea on standard of care though.
 
Damn, I thought I had a biggish first car. Quinn direct good on young drivers? I'm with Motor Direct at the moment, cheapest I could find. No idea on standard of care though.

It's different having a bigger car than your mates though, especially when they are bigger than me. :D
Yeah they were the cheapest I could find through the comparison sites, know of other people that use them although don't really know what they'll be like with claims (i'd rather not have to find out obviously). ;)
 
Damn, I thought I had a biggish first car. Quinn direct good on young drivers? I'm with Motor Direct at the moment, cheapest I could find. No idea on standard of care though.

Nissan Almera as a biggish car?

I laugh at your standards.

Ha ha!

I could probably get dirt cheap insurance on a car with... 4.6 liters? Mind you, it'd only be 240 horsepower.
 
like a new driver can afford to insure a celica.
The Celica I own and run is my first car, cheap ($2000 AUD, or $1850 USD), runs very well, and the cost of insurance is nothing to worry about... even with my part-time job. Like tophat said, If he lives in the US, it shouldn't be much of a drama either.
 
Looks like it is just UK (possibly europe as well) that has rediculous premiums for young drivers. Ah well will make it much nicer when I can eventually be able to afford a quick car. ;)
 
Nissan Almera as a biggish car?

I laugh at your standards.

Ha ha!

I could probably get dirt cheap insurance on a car with... 4.6 liters? Mind you, it'd only be 240 horsepower.
I'd gladly welcome that sort of insurance, and still not get a car with 240hp. It'd do great in getting rid of half the retards on our roads though.
 
My first car was a 1.2 Ibiza, it cost me in the region of £1200 to insure in my first year. The biggest car I've had is the 2.3 Bora V5 I recently parted company with, I can;t remember what that cost, oddly, my minds drawn a blank, it was around £550 anyway. My current car is a 1.6 Focus which is close to £400, well technically my current car is a 1.4 Kia Ceed, the Focus is in the garage and that's what I got lumped with as my courtesy car. I did have a 1.9 306 which was a fantastic drivers car, best I've had in terms of fun handling.
 
I am looking for a car between 3,500-6,500

Pounds in weight, or thrust produced?

I would recommend a F-104 Starfighter for the latter. That honey produces 5,300 pounds with the right engine options, and it does 0-1000km/h in about 12 seconds. A real classic, if you ask me, but beware ones with major work done. Truth is, many German Air Force Starfighters have it, because so many of them crashed. Stay away from the German dealerships! [/obscure]

In actual seriousness, though, the Seat Toledo is a good idea, unless you can obtain a Tata Nano.
 
A VW Fox isn't a bad idea if you can find one in good shape for a decent price. Buy one and you'll be stuck with VW forver...
 
The first car I actually drove on a regular basis was a Plymouth Voyager. 3.0L V6, busted the tranny once. Ended up plowing into a Ford pickup's trailer hitch on, of all days, my high school graduation day. That sucked. It was titled under my parents with me as the driver.

DON'T GET ONE. or ANY Chrysler with Front-wheel-Drive and the three-speed. The thing felt shaky under a four-cylinder.

The first car I held the title to? The 1988 Nova. That silver one that I currently drive. ^^ I Recommend THAT car to ANY FIRST DRIVER. Get the base model, 4A-C, Stick or auto, preferably Stick, and make sure you're relatively rust free. That thing will run until a meteor hits the earth and kills us all. Actually, wrong. If it's not directly underneath the meteor, it'll probably still start when some alien comes across it.

Look for the AE82 '83-87 Front-drive Corolla, if you don't live in a country where they sold the AE82 '85-'88 Chevy Nova. You'll probably be able to pick one up dirt-cheap. I doubt you want a Vauxhall Nova. I also recommend the next-generation AE91 Corolla/Geo Prism. After that...ehh, not so much. A Civic will probably be more entertaining.
 
Back