First Car

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaProfessor
  • 61 comments
  • 2,354 views
No.


Every time.


Stop that.
 
It's right in the guy's price range, and I didn't suggest a motor swap this time. It's nothing more than a high-school student really needs, and I'd rather have an inexperienced driver in one of these than a much heavier pickup...

Believe me, slower is better at this age. and the 4A-C can be hopped up. Dual Webers, cam...There's not much to them, not much to the whole damn car, either. Easy to work on, easy to fix, CHEAP to fix and cheap to insure.

and they hold up better than other cars of the era.
 
Anyone trying to sell a Corolla/Nova of that vintage is nuts. You could have a car 10 years newer.
 
It's nothing more than a high-school student really needs

High schoolers don't even need cars. I didn't drive to school until two months before graduation.

Although, I think we would be looking for the best car that his money could buy him.
 
Gil
Since you're new here I'm gonna cut you some slack, this time.
IN your price range if talking USD (United States Dollars)
I would recommend
Toyota Camry ('97-2001)
Honda Accord (same vintage)
Ford Taurus
Ford Focus
Toyota Corolla
Hit www.autotrader.com
The site is pretty self explanatory.
Search by price. Viola!


Like Gil said. Viola!

viola.jpg


:lol:
 
Anyone trying to sell a Corolla/Nova of that vintage is nuts. You could have a car 10 years newer.

Exactly. Their are a myriad of options before looking at a 20+ year old Corolla.
 
Looks like it is just UK (possibly europe as well) that has rediculous premiums for young drivers. Ah well will make it much nicer when I can eventually be able to afford a quick car. ;)

are you bloody kidding me?! when I started driving, my insureance rate was over 2000 bucks a year for absolute minimum coverage, because all males in THIS state are automatically assigned to "maximum risk".

Top Hat/Casio: if you wanna pay under 2 grand, you do. besides, they just beat the living CRAP outa the cars nowadays, anyway. I think current parents refuse to gove the kid a hand in their first vehicle purchase...they can't afford a good used, either.

Philly: mabey not in an Urban area, but out here in the boonies, where you have to stand outside in a blizzard for two hours onlt to find out they closed school on you (cause you had to get up at 5 AM)...

I think I was the ONLY high-school senior not from right in town that DIDN'T drive.
 
I had a 95 Plymouth Neon for my first car, ran decent (head gasket went but I wasn't surprised), got decent fuel mileage, and was cheap (I think it was $800). You could easily get a 02 for the price you are looking at.
 
I suggest you go down to Crazy Vaclav's Place of Vehicles and test drive the "Hornet".
Yes, it's efficient! She will get 300 Hectares on a single tank of kerosene!
Although, the country this car was made in, It no longer exists, but take her for a test drive and you'll agree:
"zagra verdans lotik diev".
But remember, on your test drive: Put it in H!.

 
are you bloody kidding me?! when I started driving, my insureance rate was over 2000 bucks a year for absolute minimum coverage, because all males in THIS state are automatically assigned to "maximum risk".

Yeah mine is minimum too and is the equivalent to nearly $3000, I should have said we have some of the highest in the U.K it seems, no doubt that it is bad everywhere but in terms of how fast your cars are compared to ours makes it worse. But thats a different subject.. ;)
 
I've got minimum, and at 22, and after two accidents...

I think I'm $90 bucks a month. I guess where you live could have something to do with it.
 
Oh someone will, but bear in mind it was £1450 for my 1.4 Almera, and £1500 for a mates 1.0 Polo, it's gonna cost you. And neither of our cars are anywhere near new.

2.8 grand here due to SE London postcode rated F on a 1.4(worst rating you can get)

My renewal price with 1 yrs NCB and 1 non fault claim 1300 :D
 
We're only paying $600 a year for my Integra, even considered a "sporty car" under the insurance categories, and also a high-theft target, although I have many anti-theft measures installed, probably helps on insurance. I'll be 21 tomorrow, but it's always been this cheap, even when I was 19. I have it titled under my parents name, even though I paid for the car and maintain it myself, etc. No tickets, etc. I didn't start driving until I was 17, in my senior year of high school. That car was a '98 Altima GXE, which was actually more than what I'm paying now, probably because I was under 18.
 
lol no wonder your car insurance is cheap after you have commited fraud.
 
That isn't fraud, most people who live with their parents and are under 21 put their cars in their parent's name. All my cars have been in my parent's name and the insurance agent was the one who told us to do it that way.
 
Same here, my car is under my parents name and im just a named driver, its a lot cheaper that way and its totally legal, the only disadvantage is you don't build up your own no claims bonus.

Robin
 
It's not fraud. I'm under the insurance as the Primary Driver of the vehicle. If I wasn't the primary driver, it would be even cheaper.
 
It's not fraud. I'm under the insurance as the Primary Driver of the vehicle. If I wasn't the primary driver, it would be even cheaper.

Technically it's border line, because you're most likely the primary driver. It would be legal if say it was your parents daily driver, and you took it out on Tuesday nights.


My car is also insured under my parents name.
 
That isn't fraud, most people who live with their parents and are under 21 put their cars in their parent's name. All my cars have been in my parent's name and the insurance agent was the one who told us to do it that way.

I've had the stuff in my name since I was 18, and while its more expensive, it isn't that bad. I was shocked when they told me that an '08 Cooper would be $122 a month with full coverage...
 
Don't you just love people who ask a question, then never return to the thread...course just look at the OP's post history list and you can see that he/she is most likely foreign to the english language and doesn't know much thread etiquette.
 
You don't build your own rating though if it's in your parents name?
 
You don't build your own rating though if it's in your parents name?

Trying to get over the epileptic fit of your avatar to respond..:scared:

Some polices allow all named drivers to build up their own no claims bonus but most do not.

It is a bit naughty if your a named driver and you do drive it all the time but TBH if your named there is no set time limit or amount you can be driving the car in law so its totally fine.

Robin
 
Same here, my car is under my parents name and im just a named driver, its a lot cheaper that way and its totally legal, the only disadvantage is you don't build up your own no claims bonus.

Robin

Some polices allow all named drivers to build up their own no claims bonus but most do not.

It is a bit naughty if your a named driver and you do drive it all the time but TBH if your named there is no set time limit or amount you can be driving the car in law so its totally fine.

Robin

In the UK, this is wholly illegal.

The MAIN driver on the policy must do the most driving. The NAMED drivers must not. If you are a NAMED driver but do more driving of the insured vehicle than the MAIN driver, you are committing insurance fraud. In the event of an accident, you are not insured.
 
well, sounds like we got lucky, then, with the ability to put a vehicle under a parent's insurance.

remember, they're only NOW making under 21's here responsible for their own arses. it's been "the Parent is responsible for everything a dependent under the age of majority" for a long time...till someone got mad when they're kid fenderbendered some rich person :P
 
I've had the stuff in my name since I was 18, and while its more expensive, it isn't that bad. I was shocked when they told me that an '08 Cooper would be $122 a month with full coverage...

Ya that's about what it would be for me, but my parents put it in their name and we just moved somethings around so I pay about $800 a year for the Cooper.
 
In the UK, this is wholly illegal.

The MAIN driver on the policy must do the most driving. The NAMED drivers must not. If you are a NAMED driver but do more driving of the insured vehicle than the MAIN driver, you are committing insurance fraud. In the event of an accident, you are not insured.
Though admittadley it's very hard to prove. Unless of course you take your car to uni, live 200 miles from home, and are still a named driver.
 
Though admittadley it's very hard to prove. Unless of course you take your car to uni, live 200 miles from home, and are still a named driver.

But it's still fraud, and the insurance companies are spending millions trying to put a stop to it. If they do manage to prove it, not only will your claim be refused, but your / your parents motor insurance will be revoked, as will any other insurance (health/home etc) arranged through the same company. Worse still, you/they will then find it next to impossible to get a new insurance policy through that, or any other insurance company - none of them want to take on someone convicted of insurance fraud. Is it really worth it?
 
With the chances being as low as they are at the moment and the saving being near a grand a year, plenty of people can see that it's worth the risk.
 
Like I said, it's not fraud here. The insurance agent we have actually recommended that we do that.
 
Yep, same happened with me as well. When I first bought my Jetta back in 2005, they told me it was going to be over $160 a month for full-coverage. Under my Mom's name (with my name on the Camry) it went down to $100-ish.

Its perfectly legal as long as I have a name on one car, and he has her name on another.
 
Back