FITT American Classics Shootout - Winners announced! Congrats NEWDRIVER2 and Motor City Hami!

DigitalBaka

How hard can it be?
Premium
United States
IL, USA
DigitalBaka
DigitalBaka587
FITT presents the American Classics Shootout!
FITT.jpg

ShootoutSpecs.jpg

For our first event of GT6 and 2014 we take a look at one of the more improved car segments in this latest iteration of GT: classic American cars. Here's how the specs shake out:
  • 500PP limit
  • Sports Hard tires
  • Unrestricted use of ballast
  • Power limiter up to 5% to meet spec
  • Pre-1980 American cars
  • It is highly recommended to tune your car with an oil change so that builds will match up easily
  • NOS will not be allowed for this event
  • Due to a possible disparity in a certain few cars we are splitting them into a standard group and a "super muscle" group. The super group includes the GT40, Z/28, C3 Corvette Convertible, Trans Am and Mach 1. All others fall into the standard group.
ShootoutTrack.jpg

Since we have classic cars on our minds we'll need a classic track to go with it. While we do have a lot of good, new choices for tracks in GT6 we will return to a staple track. Laguna Seca will give everyone a good feel for these cars on a familiar track. Yep, American cars on an American track.

ShootoutScoring.jpg

Our familiar format returns with separate categories for both lap time and driver's choice. Lap time will be calculated by average time submitted by all testers. Driver's choice will be on a 10 point scale, 10 being best, and also averaged from tester submissions. We'll keep track of everything in a FITT spreadsheet online so that everyone can see how things are progressing.

ShootoutDeadlines.jpg

January 5th: Event begins
January 26th: Tune submissions due before midnight wherever you live
February 9th: Testing results submissions due before midnight wherever you live

ShootoutTuning.jpg

All tunes will be tested offline in Arcade Time Trial mode. Though testers will be using Laguna Seca you are welcome to tune anywhere you like. Please ensure you adhere to the specs and post or link your tune in this thread by the deadline above. Testers will need to build each car individually so be absolutely positive you post complete specs.

As we have two separate groups, tuners may elect to tune a car for one or both groups. Only one car per group per tester. In other words you may tune one car for the super muscle group and one for the standard group. Each group is judged separately.

ShootoutTesting.jpg

PD has not given us any online sharing capability yet so testers will need to build each car on their own. Yes, that's a bit of a financial burden right at the start of the game here but @XDesperado67 pointed this out:
Hey guys just a heads up.
The iB Tour of America has its second race on Laguna Seca.
Very winnable with a 500PP Classic Muscle Car on Sport Hard tires.
200% login bonus nets 90k for win. Makes it great for testing/tuning.👍👍
Please don't use an actual race to set your final lap time results but feel free to recoup some costs using this race or others that the cars may qualify for.

We will not police your driving but recommend you use as few driving aids as possible and try to adhere to the GTP OLR guidelines. That said, whatever method you use to drive one car should be used for all cars

As we are splitting into two car groupings, testers may choose one or both groups to test. For your results to count toward the final tally you must complete testing for all tunes in your selected group.

For your results, please record your fastest lap time n Arcade Time Trial mode. Generally it is best to run 5 or more clean laps with each tune. Many testers run for a set time limit or only count laps once they feel like they are used to driving the car. For the driver's choice portion, please rank each car on a 10-point scale. This ranking is intended to reward a tune that may not have a fast overall lap time but may improve the stock car significantly or be a pleasurable drive or some other qualitative factor.

Like the tunes, please post complete results in this thread by the above deadline. Only complete results will count toward the final overall results. If you wish, you may also provide a few words of feedback. The tuners love it and it will help them to work on areas where they may need to improve. Please check the FITT Archives from our GT5 events to see some great examples. Tuners, if you like you may also participate as testers. Please test your car in the same manner as the other cars to give an unbiased result.

And of course...

Everyone wishing to participate please read, review and follow the FITT Standardized Rules for our events. This include tuners, testers and any observers who post in this thread.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey guys the Camaro Z28 '69 needs to either have its own category or be DQ'd.

Spent the last couple days testing most of the premium Classic Muscle cars and with a very basic rough tune the Z28 is close to 4 seconds a lap faster than any of the others.
It's by far the lightest of the bunch and with a fairly short wheelbase rotates quicker and can carry a lot more speed through corners.
Also it isn't the torque monster most of the others are and has a very GT friendly power curve which helps keep it from cooking the tires and lets keep pulling strong nearly to redline.

Haven't tested the non-premium Camaro SS '69 but it looks to be in the same category as the Z28.

Spent the last couple days testing most of the premium Classic Muscle cars and with a very basic rough tune the Z28 is close to 4 seconds a lap faster than any of the others.
It's by far the lightest of the bunch and with a fairly short wheelbase rotates quicker and can carry a lot more speed through corners.
Also it isn't the torque monster most of the others are and has a very GT friendly power curve which helps keep it from cooking the tires and lets keep pulling strong nearly to redline.

Haven't tested the non-premium Camaro SS '69 but it looks to be in the same category as the Z28.

That was the same in GT5 with the Camaro Z28 '69. I agree that it either needs to be banned or you will see an entire field of them entered. I don't remember the non Z28 being as fast.

Just ran my 500PP Trans Am "Carnography" tune and its about half a second off the Z28 time.
Losing the rear spoiler to reduce drag and tweaking the gears and suspension a bit I could probably find the extra time, but still that's a tune that has several hours invested in it vs an initial test tune that took less than 5 minutes.:crazy:
As is I'm wondering if the newer Trans Am might have a bit of an advantage over the older cars other than the Z28.:drool:

That was the same in GT5 with the Camaro Z28 '69. I agree that it either needs to be banned or you will see an entire field of them entered. I don't remember the non Z28 being as fast.
Just ran my 500PP Trans Am "Carnography" tune and its about half a second off the Z28 time.
Losing the rear spoiler to reduce drag and tweaking the gears and suspension a bit I could probably find the extra time, but still that's a tune that has several hours invested in it vs an initial test tune that took less than 5 minutes.:crazy:
As is I'm wondering if the newer Trans Am might have a bit of an advantage over the older cars other than the Z28.:drool:
What's the consensus on these two cars ('69 Z/28 and '78 T/A)? Do we need to sit them in the pit? What about the SS?

Well, I haven't tested any chebbies, but, the SS is the same PP level stock, and only has 10hp more. I'm guessing there's a slight weight difference to account for the higher HP/ same PP thing.

Well, I haven't tested any chebbies, but, the SS is the same PP level stock, and only has 10hp more. I'm guessing there's a slight weight difference to account for the higher HP/ same PP thing.
The SS is actually slightly lighter stock than the Z28.
Since I've not bought it yet I don't know how it stacks up once you start tuning it so can't say what the HP/Torque curve looks like or final weight figure for it will be.

Did try out the Stingray convertible for fun and it runs nearly identical lap times to the Z28...

What's the consensus on these two cars ('69 Z/28 and '78 T/A)? Do we need to sit them in the pit? What about the SS?
I don't think anyone tested the 'Bird and called it fast yet.

I'll be quite surprised if I find the Camaro running 4 seconds a lap faster than a Shelby GT350 though.

Ok just checked out the SS and on paper it should stomp the Z28 but its actually almost 4 seconds slower...

The Z28 fully stripped down with 21kg ballast at +50 stage 1 engine, isometric Exhaust, sport cat intake tuning and 98.6% power limiter has 370HP, 359ft-lb torque, and weighs 1180kg with a 53/47 distribution.

The SS fully stripped with 23kg ballast at +50, racing exhaust, isometric exhaust, sports cat, intake tuning and 98.4% power limiter has 389HP, 457ft-lb torque, and weighs 1170kg with a 53/47 distribution.

On better tires I'm betting the SS could more than hold its own against the Z28, but it's to easy to light up the SHs and once you start to lose the rear end it's a fight to get it back and going where you want it.

Note despite all the extra torque in the SS the power curves for both is nearly identical.

I don't think anyone tested the 'Bird and called it fast yet.

I'll be quite surprised if I find the Camaro running 4 seconds a lap faster than a Shelby GT350 though.

It was tested, but with a serious tune, not a straight out of the box run.

Oh, something GT5 taught me with GT500's...
Laguna Seca favors cornering like nothing else, meaning there are few to no other tracks that will disregard power and cater to good handling cars more than Laguna Seca.

I've noticed this with the right hander that comes before the tight-U at the end of the track. Once you get into (usually) 2nd gear you can go full throttle, even if it's just after entering the turn.

@CSLACR the Shelby GT350 (premium one not the R from GT5) was the first car I tried and I spent more time trying to tune it than most of the others.
So far best offline in the Tour of America race after clearing traffic on first 2 laps is mid 1:39s. Online I've only managed low 1:40s.

The Z28 offline in that race consistently runs mid 1:36s after clearing traffic and I've just missed getting into the 1:35s on a couple laps.

The SS, El Camino, AAR Cuda, and Nova all got into the high 1:39s.

With the Chevelle I was in the low 1:40s.

Challenger R/T is just to fat at 500PP and a few high 1:41s were the best I could manage.

My Trans Am tune was running right at 1:27 but because of gearing I never used 5th. Also had the spoiler on the back slowing it down in the sections where you can open the throttle a bit.

Sounds like the Brothers need banned. :(

Related note, I've only tested two cars, (Supra and ACR), but both gained top speed from adding 5 aero to the rear, and a full 20 didn't hurt top speed over stock. (only ran 3300 meters, cuz aint no track I race that anything farther matters)

It's a glitch. (It should be 50 to 200, not 5-20, which is virtually nothing)

With the TA I've noticed an acceleration and speed difference depending on how much Aero I use on Grand Valley, Suzuka, Spa, Monza, and of course La Sarthe and the Ring.

Betting that just by removing the wing I could pick up 2-3mph on the run up to the corkscrew and at least 5mph on the front straight.

As for gears, currently its set up for the 600PP version to run over 200mph at La Sarthe with no draft sooo...:crazy::lol:

Back