FITT Ford Challenges by MCH

Test Driving results for the FITT Ford Challenge by MCH Ford GT’05 class, tested at Daytona Road Course at 10pm.

All cars received 5 Laps warm up and learning. All cars then driven for 5 Laps or till I got all I could from the car on the majority of the track. Which ever came second.

Track and driving aids. Grip= Real, ABS=1 all other driving aids off that impact handling.

DC scoring is as follows. Stock suspension & LSD with power and weight upgrades. (3 Stock Laps max to get a feel on it)

1-4 worse than stock and why.
5 as good as stock.
6-7 better than stock but….
8-9 Great tune.
10 WOW one of the best I’ve had the privilege of driving n GT6

Ford GT ‘05

Tuners:
@Bowtie-muscle Tune here
Stock Lap;1:50.778 Lap time;1:45.772 DC; 8.9

Impressions of the tune; This car was stable most of the time, and warned you that it didn’t like something you were doing before you spun. So it was great fun to drive, it was easy to find the limit in this car and stay at or near it the entire track. What hurt was cars unwillingness to punch it out of a turn and the BLOR at the low speed turns. I think a bit softer of a rear and touch more ARB up front to settle the weight shifting and this car would have settled down alot of and been a bit faster. Well done sir.

@DaBomm4 Tune here
Stock Lap;2:01.479 O_o Lap time;1:50.183 DC; 7
Impressions of the tune; This car liked to do two things really well, go fast and try and kill you. The TLOR and BLOR killed me in this car. I could never quite it right through all the turns on the course when I did it get right in a few turns it was fantastic just zipped the turns like I was on rails. I think the rear dampers were a bit high and caused the weight to shift around suddenly and was the cause of my issues with stability in this tune. This would be a great car on high speed tracks with only a few tight turns.

@fourevaboostin Tune here
Stock Lap;1:49.535 Lap time;1:48.573 DC;4.8
Impressions of the tune; I didn't think I would encounter a MR car with too much understeer. But with the ballast so far upfront and so little weight on the tail this car didn’t like to turn and I had feather the throttle on all turns, the brakes were a little on the light side, had great control while braking but had the longest braking zone of all cars. I think moving the ballast back a bit and getting the balance to 49:51 or 48:52 would help this car a ton, the suspension felt good it just didn’t like to turn. I did find that it had one line on the track and if I missed it I found a wall and there was little I could do to stop it.

@MrGrado Tune here
Stock Lap;1:50.553 Lap time;1:47.859 DC; 8.5
Impressions of the tune; This is a well built high skill tune, I could feel the cars desire to go much faster than I could control it at. I had issues with the weight transfer as I let off the brakes entering a corner, was causing a bit of over rotation that I couldn't control, not enough movement on the DS3, I did note some understeer at high speed on the banked turns that required some throttle feathering to keep me off the wall. One of the other problems I encountered was the outside front or rear was over loading on the low speed turns and outside rear was under loading on the high speed turns, A slightly softer tail would help that out I think.

@Otaliema Tune here
Stock Lap;1:49.081 Lap time;1:44.626 DC; 9
Impressions of the tune; After driving all the other cars in the field, I found that the forgiving nature of this car is what makes it so fast, you can jump on the gas early in the corner it recovers from fish tails, it takes to trail braking and to slides it will rotate when you ask it to and it stops when you need it to. I felt it still had some issues with weight shifting causing a bit of unexpected rotation at low speed but overall it was fast and stable.

@shaunm80 Tune here
Stock Lap;1:53.013 Lap time;1:47.382 DC;
Impressions of the tune; Stable and quick but just as fast to spin you on throttle use if you mash it at the wrong point pretty much had to off the wheel to jump on the gas. I found throttle control was key to this car and if I could hit the right point of throttle the car was fantastic in the turns but if I was off it would over or understeer depending on if I was over or under throttling the car. I did find it overloaded the front tires in just about every turn I think the ballast being moved back and reduced springs in the tail would make this a very fast car.

@sinof1337 Tune here
Stock Lap;2:06.404 -_- Lap time;1:47.835 DC; 6.8
Impressions of the tune; This car has entry understeer and exit oversteer, I can see how a slight drifting entry would make this car pretty quick but that is not my style of driving so it consequently hurt the time some. It would roll through the turn transiting. from understeer to oversteer very smoothly but it always happened in any turn other than the back straight chicanes where I could just brake turn and go. I think the ballast location was the biggest issue as the understeer was mostly induced from the front tires overloading at late corner entry as I was letting off the brakes.

@xande1959 Tune here
Stock Lap;1:51.704 Lap time;1:47.022 DC; 7.2
Impressions of the tune; Your transmission setup always throws me, and it always works very well. Gonna have to try it sometime. About the tune. It was well balanced I knew I could lay into it at just about anytime after the apex of a turn and it would hold, but at entry I had issues with the front wheels overloading inducing a fair bit of understeer into the car, which forced me to slow more than I would have liked for most of the turns. It held itself very well in the high speed turns with no issues that I could find. Over all well made turn just needs a couple of minor tweaks to make it really fast. Maybe move the ballast back a bit to take some weight off the front wheels and click softer on the front extension. Good job sir.
Thanks for the review. Out of interest, what DC did you give me as it wasn't in the post :)

Stock Lap;1:51.704 Lap time;1:47.022 DC; 7.2
Impressions of the tune; Your transmission setup always throws me, and it always works very well. Gonna have to try it sometime. About the tune. It was well balanced I knew I could lay into it at just about anytime after the apex of a turn and it would hold, but at entry I had issues with the front wheels overloading inducing a fair bit of understeer into the car, which forced me to slow more than I would have liked for most of the turns. It held itself very well in the high speed turns with no issues that I could find. Over all well made turn just needs a couple of minor tweaks to make it really fast. Maybe move the ballast back a bit to take some weight off the front wheels and click softer on the front extension. Good job sir.
@Otaliema - one doubts intrigues me, with the same setup have days that I encounter generally fantastic times on the same circuit but does not always happen that my best lap was 1: 41,117, the other day I could not reach that time when the house of 1: 41 800 etc. never managed to match the time, do not know if the same happens with you really felt the loose forward but then suddenly walk a times these (1: 41,117) I say ta ready setup, but when other test pilots realize that ai could work tuning the small details. thanks for testing it:bowdown::cheers:👍

@Otaliema - one doubts intrigues me, with the same setup have days that I encounter generally fantastic times on the same circuit but does not always happen that my best lap was 1: 41,117, the other day I could not reach that time when the house of 1: 41 800 etc. never managed to match the time, do not know if the same happens with you really felt the loose forward but then suddenly walk a times these (1: 41,117) I say ta ready setup, but when other test pilots realize that ai could work tuning the small details. thanks for testing it:bowdown::cheers:👍
What I think what was making the car inconsistent is the ballast position, it is causing the front tires go past maximum grip in most turns. You might want to try; reducing the ballast or moving it toward the back of the car till the front wheels stop turning red at corner entry.
Note moving it backwards may require a few more kg's to compensate for the added PP from the grip increase.

FITT Ford GT Review

PLEASE READ FIRST!

I did not intend to tune for this challenge, but I wanted to prepare for testing and since I had a GT I used it and am glad I did. I was looking to get the most out of every tune possible and wound up tuning the GT with low expectations. My plan was to give each tune a minimum of 12 laps with extra for driver error or if needed to get the best lap, with a max of 15 laps. Also planned on having to retest the first 2 or 3 tunes for fairness, as tuning did not leave me satisfied with my handle on the track. My tune was set to run 6th, and when I tested it it gained time and went to the top of the charts. This never happened to me before as normally I cannot hit my best time in tuning and my tunes are never that good to be the fastest. Also, there was over 1.5 second gap to the second fastest car which left me worried that I was either not getting the most out of the others and that some may think I was making my tune out to be better than it was. I only ran 11 laps in my own tune, I finished the final 2 and then retested every tune but my own for piece of mind and only 3 gained time. I do feel I managed to get the most out of almost all the tunes I could and did not retest my own. ALL other tunes were given over 20 laps and half were likely over 25 as I tried to get the best lap I could. All this being said, if my time does not seem to add up to the other tests, I have no problem with my tune being removed or review. Up to the other testers and tuners.

As usual, I do not consider myself as more than an average driver or tuner, but I gave it the best I could to get the best time for each tune.
All tested with DS3, manual trans in Arcade with grip set to real, ABS 1.

@@Bowtie-muscle:
Lap time - 1:40.256
DC - 9 (tentatively)

Some front end issues that were found during testing, the rear "rolled over" after apex just before getting back on the throttle. When corners were taken correctly, the tune had potential to be really fast. Not the best tune in the field, but after driving the others I liked it even more (not a knock on the other tunes, just that I felt it was not as bad as I had expected) and my second best lap was 1:40.740. Was given a DC of 9 for the fast time and because I felt it was a really good solid tune.

@DaBomm4 :
Lap time - 1:41.851
DC - 7.5

A good tune that was a little twitchy in the beginning until I figured it out. High camber did not hurt in my opinion but did make throttle application difficult without some control. Brakes were really good and turn 1 was fun, the inner loop however was tricky. Nice job.

@fourevaboostin :
Lap time - 1:42.838
DC - 7.5

I liked this tune. Looking at my tuning sheet, 2 things jumped off the page. #1 high LSD, #2 6 speed fixed trans. I normally struggle with high LSD tunes and always avoid, but yours seemed to be an exception. The car did not roll over like mine mid-corner to exit but rather pushed ever so slightly. When on the banking though, if I was not on the correct line it would just push up the banking and into the wall. Now the trans, the longer gears likely helped get back on throttle as I had no problem there, but it hurt the overall speed as it was the last to get into 6th coming to the start/finish line. If I can make a suggestion, it would be to add Otaliema's trans and see if the time improves as his was also late into 6th but not as late as yours. For your first FITT entry, this was really impressive. Try some of the others and join in the next, your ranking should improve. Great Job. :cheers:

@MrGrado :
Lap time - 1:42.381
DC - 7

Sorry, I could not get the handle on this tune at all. I put close to, if not 30 laps trying :ouch:. Again, me and high LSD numbers are a struggle even though yours was only Accel. I could feel the car was potentially fast and could get a quick lap, but more than half of my laps were really slow or red. I did have a quick lap going that got wasted exiting the inner loop as the car decided to go in a different direction then tried to knock the wall down. Second session did improve the time otherwise it was the slowest for me. I hope another tuner gets the most out of it, but I failed to be able to keep it on track and be fast. Sorry.

@Otaliema :
Lap time - 1:40.829
DC - 9.6

Best tune of the bunch (.) Did what I wanted when I wanted, easy to get on throttle. Only flaw was the trans as it was late getting into 6th, maybe a slightly lower gear would have been faster? Did not need a retest but did benefit, initial test was a 1:41.290.
Now I do need to call you out! This was a similar feel to my NSX which you called safe, but you called this tune stable:confused:. Either way, I take safe as a compliment if it's fast.:mischievous:
ps. thanks for the review ;), now I do not need to double post.

@shaunm80 :
Lap time - 1:41.630
DC - 8

Nice tune that I enjoyed but struggled to get fast, the inner loop was the biggest place of difficulty for me. Rev limiter was blinking at the line also, was easy to drive and get the power down with throttle control. Best lap in first test was a 1:42.030.

@sinof1337 :
Lap time - 1:41.501
DC - 8.5

Really impressive, solid tune here with only 1 major flaw, the trans. I was hitting the limiter before the start/finish line. Like most of the others throttle control was needed on exit but felt excellent everywhere else. I did have Otliema's ghost loaded and in the infield it was glued to the rear bumper, but as soon as I hit the banking, the ghost pulled away. Slower entry speed did allow me to get most of it back in the inner loop as yours attack it better, but again lost it on the banking. That was the first test, second test best lap was a 1:41.545! Well done Sir.👍

@xande1959 :
Lap time - 1:41.018
DC - 8.5

Great handling car that did not give too many issues, just easy to drive with a slight mid corner push. Did have one trip to the wall on the banking and the inner loop was where i lost time or got a red lap for cutting. Second test did not improve the time, most laps were around 1:42, but I got in that one needed fast lap.

Thanks for allowing me to enjoy these fun rides in a car that normally gives me trouble.:cheers:

@Otaliema :
Lap time - 1:40.829
DC - 9.6

Best tune of the bunch (.) Did what I wanted when
I wanted, easy to get on throttle. Only flaw was the trans as it was late getting into 6th, maybe a slightly lower gear would have been faster? Did not need a retest but did benefit, initial test was a 1:41.290.
Now I do need to call you out! This was a similar feel to my NSX which you called safe, but you called this tune stable:confused:. Either way, I take safe as a compliment if it's fast.:mischievous:
ps. thanks for the review ;), now I do not need to double post
Alrite I'll give you that one it was safe and does have a similar feel to your NSX. My transmission was set for 7k shifting forgot to put that in the tuner notes. It should have capped out at 325km/h Or about 201 mph even with the late shift by an auto. I felt after testing my first tune for more than 100 laps and never got below 1:43 I needed to make it stable which ended up making it safe but that seems to be the key on this track and car combo.
I made it stable by controlling the rear and than set up the nose to dive in with out BLOR affects.

Safe can be fast in my opinion. it's more comfortable and easy to drive, as long as it's not too safe. Loved your tune!
Safe is fast except for aliens that can control the wild child tunes
I find that the fastest times come from a lap that doesn't necessarily feel fast.
Many times I've thrown a car at a
corner on the ragged edge and come out the otherside of the corner thinking that was fast but it doesn't show in the laptime. If I've got the ghost loaded & drive the same corner more cleanly, more often than not it'll feel slower but actually end up faster on the stopwatch.
Sometimes you have to drive 'slower' in order to go faster, alien skill level or not.

I find that the fastest times come from a lap that doesn't necessarily feel fast.
Many times I've thrown a car at a
corner on the ragged edge and come out the otherside of the corner thinking that was fast but it doesn't show in the laptime. If I've got the ghost loaded & drive the same corner more cleanly, more often than not it'll feel slower but actually end up faster on the stopwatch.
Sometimes you have to drive 'slower' in order to go faster, alien skill level or not.

Absolutely. It is almost always about slow in, fast out and being as smooth as possible. There are times (too many unfortunately) where being very aggressive and sliding the car into or through a corner is the fastest thing to do in Gran Turismo, but for the most part feeling like you're giving it 90-95% often results in higher apex speeds, because you are keeping sudden weight transfer down. You'll also be more consistent too, as you're not trying to be mental and start making mistakes - all in my opinion however.

I am not sure where my fastest lap came from, but it was shortly after my second fastest if that makes sense. Did not feel like I was pushing too hard, just managed to get the inner loop and first turn nailed almost perfectly which is where most time is lost or gained. I like them not so wild and loose and find I can be more consistent which leads to constantly gaining each lap just a little more. Otaliema's was tough because the car was so smooth and consistent that gains were hard to come by. But I managed to take 4 tenths off in the second test session and I think I could have taken the inner loop just a bit faster:dunce:. Driving the other tunes got me more comfortable with the track than my own tune did, so when I got back to my tune I was attacking the first turn better and my time dropped which normally would go up. There are some really good and fun tunes in this group even if they are slower.👍

Have a unofficial results sheet made up for the GT class.
Google Doc GT testing results unofficial.

Edit; Cleaned it u p so it's easier to read on phones, correct some gramical issues caused by miss link'd cells.

And now I just feel slow. My fastest lap was less than a second faster than the next slowest lap from all other test drivers.....
Nah, this is a tough track. Shocked that my times are as fast as they are compared to you and @biffa3 .

FITT Ford GT Review

@shaunm80 :
Lap time - 1:41.630
DC - 8

Nice tune that I enjoyed but struggled to get fast, the inner loop was the biggest place of difficulty for me. Rev limiter was blinking at the line also, was easy to drive and get the power down with throttle control. Best lap in first test was a 1:42.030.

Thanks for testing and for the review. Fair comments made. This car does require throttle control in the mickey mouse section of the track but your time in it was excellent. Well done.

@DaBomm4
Time - 1:45:691
DC - 5
Really struggled to get into this one. Needs precise inputs that I can't provide with the DS3. Found understeer when on the power and the rear end breaking loose in the lower gears. Sorry to the tuner for my time but it should fair better for other drivers.

@DaBomm4 Tune here
Stock Lap;2:01.479 O_o Lap time;1:50.183 DC; 7
Impressions of the tune; This car liked to do two things really well, go fast and try and kill you. The TLOR and BLOR killed me in this car. I could never quite it right through all the turns on the course when I did it get right in a few turns it was fantastic just zipped the turns like I was on rails. I think the rear dampers were a bit high and caused the weight to shift around suddenly and was the cause of my issues with stability in this tune. This would be a great car on high speed tracks with only a few tight turns.

@DaBomm4 :
Lap time - 1:41.851
DC - 7.5

A good tune that was a little twitchy in the beginning until I figured it out. High camber did not hurt in my opinion but did make throttle application difficult without some control. Brakes were really good and turn 1 was fun, the inner loop however was tricky. Nice job.
Thanks for the testing and reviews guys. I felt that my tune was ok and you guys did your best with it.
This would be a great car on high speed tracks with only a few tight turns.
I did part of my tuning on Big Willow and it was quite fun there but I did notice some understeer in a few places on both tracks.

Thanks for the testing and reviews guys. I felt that my tune was ok and you guys did your best with it.

I did part of my tuning on Big Willow and it was quite fun there but I did notice some understeer in a few places on both tracks.
it's odd that we all put a little too much understeer into a MR car... :lol:
Nah, this is a tough track. Shocked that my times are as fast as they are compared to you and @biffa3 .
your a fast driver more able to control the car at or near the limit of it's abilitys, always quick you are.

@Bowtie-muscle brave friends congratulate fantastic time, maybe if I had followed the advice ofOtaliema time would be better, thank you for driving it with mastery.
I've been changing my tuning style latly to focus on the end of the car that needs the more help for control. Get that end acting right and the other end just seems to fall into place pretty well.

Looking forward to @Lionheart2113 review tomorrow. :) Has all the testing for the Mustangs been completed now? I checked the results spreadsheet but its not got all the fields filled in as yet.
I believe everyone who was testing the mustangs has posted results, no idea if the scores have been updated though

Back