Full motion rig?

• Thread starter TRLWNC7396
  • 35 comments
I really hope that gt7 will include compatibility with immersion devices like :
- buttkickers (physics related like simvibe)
- d-box like / frex like motion systems (rseat RS1, rseat F1, Vesaro...)

A lot of simracers have butkicker(s) and it's sad that we can't really use them in GT6 (yes we can use them but they are sound related and not physcis related like pc games with simvibe...). PD could sell a small "usb soundcard" that we can plug in the PS4 and that does the same thing as simvibe. I don't think it will cost too much :)

I imagine if we can tie 3 PS's together for the 3 screen setups, there is a way to get each one to power a different part, running in parallel. (one for pitch, one for yaw, one for the game)

If that's not possible now, why doesn't someone work on it so it WILL be? ;)

I imagine if we can tie 3 PS's together for the 3 screen setups, there is a way to get each one to power a different part, running in parallel. (one for pitch, one for yaw, one for the game)

If that's not possible now, why doesn't someone work on it so it WILL be? ;)
I dream of that since I'm a kid :)

link to 4:43.

Too bad we don't have a video from the rig at Fuji :(

That thing is pretty awesome, but at that price you could go buy a real car, gut it, tune it and actually race it.

Autosports...the real driving experience! lol

That thing is pretty awesome, but at that price you could go buy a real car, gut it, tune it and actually race it.

Autosports...the real driving experience! lol

Nope, by any means whatsoever. Track days get quite expensive when you include everything involved, let alone racing.

But not to be so serious, here's a funny/scary video of a track day with someone driving like if it was Mario Kart (people do call that "Playstation driving" :P), because why not.

@avens yeah man I know, tires, fuel, replaement parts, sign up fees, travel costs, trailer to tow your race car, vehicle to tow your race car, hotels, umbrella girls...it all adds up.

I was just joking around. That rig is pretty awesome. At 16+ g's though...phew!

EDIT: Just saw that video...wtf? That guy in the red car should be hauled off to jail. Not cool

Last edited:
Nope, by any means whatsoever. Track days get quite expensive when you include everything involved, let alone racing.

But not to be so serious, here's a funny/scary video of a track day with someone driving like if it was Mario Kart (people do call that "Playstation driving" :P), because why not.

Ahahahahahahahaha his last comment before the video ends, priceless.

I had to watch that 3 times to actually believe what I was seeing!!! That's unreal. MX5 racing is serious business!!!

So... assuming you have the money to get a setup like that, how do you make GT6 communicate with it? I can't say I've seen any "full motion rig" settings anywhere in the game :P.
I think they have a specific build of gt6 given by PD just for that.

I really hope that gt7 will include compatibility with immersion devices like :
- buttkickers (physics related like simvibe)
- d-box like / frex like motion systems (rseat RS1, rseat F1, Vesaro...)

A lot of simracers have butkicker(s) and it's sad that we can't really use them in GT6 (yes we can use them but they are sound related and not physcis related like pc games with simvibe...). PD could sell a small "usb soundcard" that we can plug in the PS4 and that does the same thing as simvibe. I don't think it will cost too much :)
You can get a fair amount of motion from FFB signals, but it would be mainly, if not solely yaw. You could piggy back the ground vibrations as well. You'd need a circuit board(s) that can take the FFB signal that tells the circuit board in the wheel how much amps/volts to power the motion units, depending on what you're using based on the sort and design of the rig. Motors need power to move obviously, but the power signal is not sent straight through the USB cable to the wheel to the wheel motors. It is just a signal that is sent to the circuit board and then the circuit board uses the power from the wall outlet to power the wheel motors, based on it's interpretation of the signal coming into the board from the ps3.

A buddy and I have been designing one with an arduino board, but quality motors with enough torque are very expensive to get with a 360* range and you usually need at least six forms decent rig. That's all that is halting us right now. It couldn't be used to it's full potential with gt yet, though of course. Idk. We may be able to use the signal that emulates the feeling of the weight transfer...but there is no signal for body roll itself, weightless from lift, the body compressing to the ground or slamming from getting air, getting pushed back into your seat or getting pushed forward under braking, etc. There are not many sims that support all of this stuff anyways. It is super expensive and often used with a one off sim. I've seen make shift rigs, specifically a popular YouTube clip with one that sort of looks like a swing, but a feel race seat. Idk what sim he is using, but all of the motions are in reverse. He would brake and the chair would tilt him backwards, not forwards, etc. The entire unit swiveled with no forward back/right left motion. Just pivoting on a center axis.

I priced out a rig with six high quality motors without screens, computer, sims, etc. Would cost over 5k to do it. You need to build a steel or aluminum chassis, weld it, weld in six motors, build a platform to place on them, mount your seating rig on the platform properly and so on. And there is no way you would enjoy one screen with a motion unit. Your perspective on the screen would be changing to rapidly, which also happens in real life...but you have an entire, natural peripheral view. You need at least four more motors to at each corner of the platform to raise, tilt and rock it, too. So ten motors. If course there are many ways to build a sim rig like this, but if you're going to build one, it is silly to shell out cash for one that will work so-so. You'll end up not using it or it'll make you naucious. You could make ones that slide on tracks with lifting motors as well. Like I said, many ways to do it right. They're just all expensive :(

I think they have a specific build of gt6 given by PD just for that.
Yeah, I was thinking it might be something like that. I don't see the harm in just adding the feature to the regular build, though. I mean, in essence, all the game needs to do is to output the g-force data of each direction of movement (which it already calculates as part of the physics engine) and then let the motion rig interpret this data in whatever way is most suitable for the system.

It wouldn't be used often, but it sure would sound really cool to have a game that supports serious stuff like that.

If you bought the entire rig including the screens for 16'000 dollars you could let people use it for 10.99 dollars per hour. If you could do that for 6 hours per day, five days per week, 50 weeks per year you would make a profit within a year :)
The second year you can get another rig and double the profit.

Assuming 0 maintenance costs :P

@schmocke multiple ps3s should gave been obvious, considering a single ps3 sometimes gets poor frame rate even on a single display. After you've invested in multiple ps3s and monitors, I don't think the extra 2 game copies is what's going to break the deal :P. I think you can get the game for 20 bucks or less now?

It's interesting, but I don't see this moving beyond a demo for GT6/PS3. With PD already cutting corners, dumbing down physics/sounds/graphics just to make the game playable on the PS3, I cant see them adding more info to compute and transmit. I can see it being used with GT7/PS4 though. But damn what a price tag. Hopefully it will be something that can be emulated so us DIY types could build something like Moxley did. Full motion for under 500.

nice to see some potential real development of GT into being a real driving simulator.
the movement seems very exaggerated. i'd like to see something more realistic.

the hardware; triple screen still needs 3xPS and 3xGT. if the only solution in GT7/PS4 is of the same kind, its poor.
Sony could do an external device to plug into a PS4 to enable triple-screens and motion rigs with one PS4/GT7, add some extra power and outputs.

Back