Paint feature for the Custom Rear Wings for the next update

• Thread starter F1jocker12
  • 126 comments
A paint colour picker isn't going to happen. It's not like picking the colour of an LED backlight. Paint is a little more complicated.

I've never been impressed with the choose "type", choose colour approach, although being able to select the base colour separately from the shader color (mimicking coloured metallic / pearlescent components) helps, but still doesn't really reflect real paint.

If they add a realistic paint mixing station, with realistic application options, I'll be impressed.

A paint colour picker isn't going to happen. It's not like picking the colour of an LED backlight. Paint is a little more complicated.

I've never been impressed with the choose "type", choose colour approach, although being able to select the base colour separately from the shader color (mimicking coloured metallic / pearlescent components) helps, but still doesn't really reflect real paint.

If they add a realistic paint mixing station, with realistic application options, I'll be impressed.

That's why I always liked the paint chip system for some reasons.

And before people start to be mad at me, I will explain: with a color picker it would be really hard to get the right, realistic tones for most manufacturer colors. I think the best option would be if we had the paint chip system plus a paint creator, where you could mess with the layers in the materials.

Gran Turismo does a great job representing the correct manufacturer colors, I've not seen any game do it in such accurate way. And that's because those layers in the materials are correctly done. They've got variations in the coat layers, pigments, the "metallic flakes".

Just notice how cool and realistic are paints such as the "Redline 3 coat" (from Ford, I think), The Black Opal Metallic (from Nissan GT-R black edition), Etna black (from Alfa Romeo MiTo), Cosmic Blue (from Volvo, S60R)... see also some iridescent paints from Alfa, such as Azurro Nuvola.

There's a lot of other examples, of course.

Imagine the hell of trying to replicate the TVR colors accurately with a color picker...

That's why I always liked the paint chip system for some reasons.

And before people start to be mad at me, I will explain: with a color picker it would be really hard to get the right, realistic tones for most manufacturer colors. I think the best option would be if we had the paint chip system plus a paint creator, where you could mess with the layers in the materials.

Gran Turismo does a great job representing the correct manufacturer colors, I've not seen any game do it in such accurate way. And that's because those layers in the materials are correctly done. They've got variations in the coat layers, pigments, the "metallic flakes".

Just notice how cool and realistic are paints such as the "Redline 3 coat" (from Ford, I think), The Black Opal Metallic (from Nissan GT-R black edition), Etna black (from Alfa Romeo MiTo), Cosmic Blue (from Volvo, S60R)... see also some iridescent paints from Alfa, such as Azurro Nuvola.

There's a lot of other examples, of course.

Imagine the hell of trying to replicate the TVR colors accurately with a color picker...

I like the chips, i got plenty of every colour with tricked out colours, I never get those colour wheels right, I never get the shade right. Chip is so easy and I got so many.

Anything that would allow a bit more customization isn't a bad thing at all, they're going on the right direction with the customization. Of course they can go further but they've had pretty good ideas with it lately except for the gauge they're absolutely useless.

Gauges are arguably one of the most useful thing they've added, genuinely handy for those of us who drive in cockpit mode with no HUD.

Back