Gran Turismo 7 Launch to "Shift From 2021 to 2022"

• Thread starter GlamFM
  • 427 comments
Not exactly much depth though in terms of content. ACC is good for what it is, but what it is is of course pretty focused.

Really hope the EA/CM acquisition goes well because it's seemingly our best hope for a steady stream of varied racing games that we desperately need. Not this year obviously, too soon for that, but hopefully 2022 onwards is pretty prosperous.

Remember the PS1 and PS2 days, you couldn't move for racing titles. Arcade, simulation, race cars, road cars, rally, there was everything. Even PS3 was pretty good, but since PS4 pickings have got seriously slim and now the only currently announced tarmac racing game for PS5 has been delayed to 2022.

Not good for racing fans on console. :(

PS2 is and will remain the best generation for racing games.

Hopefully the Covid-related development slowdown does not outweigh the timegain from the situation with PS5 availability. I initially thought the scarcity of PS5 consoles would prove somewhat beneficial to the development of GT7, easing off the pressure from the developers and allowing them to polish the game just a little more. The longer the PS5 is hard to come by, the better GT7 will turn out...in my mind at least. It's also interesting that the situation is somewhat similar to the history of GT games on PS4. Because GT Sport released rather late into the PS4's lifecycle I didn't feel the need to replace my PS3 for a couple of years (and even when I finally did it was for Uncharted 4, a year before GT Sport came out). Let's see how things plays out this time.

Whelp, at the very least I now feel a little more confident about the bet I made with Kaz just last night :lol:

Well honestly, it's what I excepted (altough refused to believe it due my personal bias), at the end considering the pandemic situation and considering that, objectively, if we watch the trailer it was already a big suspect that the game was still pretty distant to be finished or completed, I don't know how much progress they did since then but if they said so that the game will be delayed to next year, I can imagine that that the game was (at least in june) still in mid-development cycle (could be wrong, but we must take into accoun that's it's a very big game and PD is a small studio), so well.... Late 2021 is still too optimistic I guess, I don't think we will see GT7 before middle 2022 or even late 2022, which is more likely. But at the end, we will get it when will be time for it, still better than rushing an unfinished game as it was since GT5, so whatewer.... We will enjoy when it comes. Patience is for the strong, as my uncle always say to me :cheers:

however, we will wait updates and news about the game in the coming months, as always

My 2 cents
I expected the delay with or with out covid, but the small studio excuse isn`t really valid the have 250 employees compared to 25 at Kunos,

Ha, knew it.

I like to think that, aside from game development adjusting to the pandemic, the PS5 itself added to the production difficulty. With the recent DualSense issue and the ever-loathsome scalpers hindering game sales, Sony can't afford to launch GT7 in a sooner date. They need to buy time to address the DualSense quality and the PS5 supply.

But GT is a much bigger game and complex to develop
Is it ten times the game, maybe only on Car Roster, compared to ACC tracks are on a par both scanned to high levels, and I would say that ACC is more complicated under the hood due to the higher level of physics. The plan was to build the game of GT sport the tracks cars and physics are all portable straight into GT7.

I understand they cant get out and Scan Cars and Tracks, and would not expect them too, but they are no longer a small studio and they have the might of Sony behind them

What bugs me is that the game will come out in 2022 and the most recent race cars will likely be from 2020 or 2019. LMH and LMDh will be in GT 8 then...
I understand the delay, it's just something I'd find sad personally.

Honestly im relieved that now they have more time to finish the game, the gameplay part on the trailer was identical to GTS honestly
but release was postponed because of problem with working during covid, not like they changed their mind and rewrite engine etc, wouldn't expect we will see something much different than on this gameplay trailer

Last edited:
Honestly im relieved that now they have more time to finish the game, the gameplay part on the trailer was identical to GTS honestly

..and this delay emphasises why. As many of us surmised looking at that trailer, it obviously was just GTS running with slightly more detail on PS5 hardware but otherwise identical to GTS, because GT7 was/is a long way off.

As they say if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..

snc
but only release was postponed because of problem with working during covid, not like they changed their mind and rewrite engine etc, wouldn't expect will see something much different than on this gameplay trailer
I hope not

Last edited:
Could be that, but I also imagine it's the inability to visit car owners and circuits to do in-person referencing/scanning.

Yeah that too, probably a mix of both, including outsource companies like the one in India also affected by covid.

Indeed, there's lots of bottlenecks in the development process now that weren't there a year ago.

You didn't see much impact of them in 2020 as any AAA game scheduled to release at that time was well past the "make the game" part and deep into the "refine, polish and QA test" phase.

Now that we're in 2021 any project that was only getting started in late 2019 or early 2020 is going to feel the sting a lot more. It's doubly tough for anything that requires real-world reference data, like licensed cars and tracks or human character models.

One example that the DIRT 5 team have mentioned in interviews is QA-testing wheel support. In an office it's easy as a single wheel and pedal set can be used on multiple desks in a week, but with everybody scattered across the globe the simple act of getting gear to test is now a significant hurdle.

This indirectly is why we're (to my knowledge) not adding the new Fanatec WRC wheel to DiRT Rally 2.0; we didn't have access to one early enough when the last update was being planned.

Last edited:
Unfortunate, but understandable. Pandemic broke everything. Gives some of us time to find a PS5.

Oh! Hopefully we'll get more info on Fanatec's "cheaper" wheel?

..and this delay emphasises why. As many of us surmised looking at that trailer, it obviously was just GTS running with slightly more detail on PS5 hardware but otherwise identical to GTS, because GT7 was/is a long way off.

As they say if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..
I really hope that was GTS and not the 7, like snc said that may actually be the actual GT7 game engine which would be very delusional if turns out like that also in the final release but with this delay now im more optimist that the game will have better visuals

Last edited:
Well, gives hope of a PS5 slim by then so I don't have to sully my set-up with a gargantuan router.

Seems it's a race to see which console I buy first based purely on the first party racing franchise.

I’m fine with waiting. It gives me more time to get a PS5 and I want GT7s quality to be good. There are other great games to play I. The mean time anyways.

Last edited:
snc
but release was postponed because of problem with working during covid, not like they changed their mind and rewrite engine etc, wouldn't expect will see something much different than on this gameplay trailer

Game graphics polish and optimizations don't fully come together until near the end of development. What they show in their early gameplay footage also doesn't necessarily represent the most up-to-date build with every graphical feature and final lighting pass enabled, just something stable. A big part of the Sony PS5 reveal presentation was Sony wanted to have the games they show actually run on the PS5 as opposed to polished up cinematics made on a high-end PC. GT7 gameplay was far from finalized, it didn't even have ray-tracing enabled.

GTSport gameplay reveal trailer 1.5 years before release
gtsportrevealt0j76.jpg

GTSport release
image_gran_turismo_sport-33857-3427_0017.jpg

Last edited:
Back