Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter stc315
  • 40 comments
Depending on the sales of GTS, this may be the new direction for the series, albeit more fleshed out in future installments. I doubt there would be a Sport entry and a numbered entry running concurrently; PD would be stepping on their own toes.

At the earliest, GT7/GTS2 won't be on anyone's radar until this entry is obsolete. Presuming consistent updates, this is likely many years from now, throughout this and possibly next generation's console lifecycle (as a remaster). Case in point: GTA5's online play. I could see something mid to late PS5, but time will tell.

think so too.~ one console generation probably have 2 version of gran turismo~ according to tradition~

Yes, but they've already broke the tradition by making Sport instead of 7. The naming was certainly intentional as this is a departure from the previous 6. Gameplay elements can be added to the GTS engine, in effect extending it's longentivity. A new or updated entry wouldn't be warranted in this case unless there was a need for a core engine overhaul, which IMO won't be happening in PS4's lifecycle.

They'll probably go the iRacing route and upgrade the engine and add content without having to release a new game on this console. I expect the PS5 to have GT Sport released on it early on with a cross compatiblity with the PS4/PS4 Pro. It would make sense since they built their assets for 8k. So one console at 1080p, one at 4K and one at true 4K/8K.

They'll probably go the iRacing route and upgrade the engine and add content without having to release a new game on this console. I expect the PS5 to have GT Sport released on it early on with a cross compatiblity with the PS4/PS4 Pro. It would make sense since they built their assets for 8k. So one console at 1080p, one at 4K and one at true 4K/8K.
They made their GT6/5 premiums for future compatibility with PS4. They removed most of them.

8k? High chance that'll be another lie by many fake Digital.

Last edited:
They made their GT6/5 premiums for future compatibility with PS4. They removed most of them.

8k? High chance that'll be another lie by many fake Digital.

+1

there is nothing future proving when it comes to tech and digital trends~

Yes, but they've already broke the tradition by making Sport instead of 7. The naming was certainly intentional as this is a departure from the previous 6. Gameplay elements can be added to the GTS engine, in effect extending it's longentivity. A new or updated entry wouldn't be warranted in this case unless there was a need for a core engine overhaul, which IMO won't be happening in PS4's lifecycle.

i somehow agreed~ but i dont think there is anything related to gameplay can be added anymore to GTS engine.~ its probably maxed out to achieve a super stable 60fps on the current graphic fidelity level. anything more they will need to toned down some current element or it would hurt the framerate badly and that is a bad news consider the online racing.

then ps5 wont benefit much on sales figure when player can stay put and play it on ps4~ or buy a used pro when ps5 came out.

I am sure next game will be released on PS4 and pro. Honestly they should make the game utilize the pro hardware more than just resolution.

But I am not sure iracing route is a good idea. Based on reviews and feedback people want GT mode. Tracks and cars they will add overtime and hopefully it will be a free update

@freedom1104, by gameplay elements, I'm not talking about engine optimization (although this isn't outside of the realm of feasability), I was referring to DLC, be it cars, tracks, additional modes, what have you.

Not at all impressed with GTS. When can I expect Gran Turismo 7 with all of the function and all of the cars like GT6?
If GTS flops, about 18 months from now. It would be a reskinned GTS with some more cars and tracks but it would be called GT7.

If GTS is a success then GT7 will never happen. It would be GTS2 next.

They'll probably go the iRacing route and upgrade the engine and add content without having to release a new game on this console.
Without a subscription route that's not going to work, and you may want to look at the costs and subscription number (high and very low respectively) to see how much money that would drag GT revenue down by for Sony.

Without a subscription route that's not going to work, and you may want to look at the costs and subscription number (high and very low respectively) to see how much money that would drag GT revenue down by for Sony.

While not a subscription route, I do kinda think they could go the way of 'season passes' and put out a season pass for 2019, that's like £40 and gives you all the DLC and online stuff for that year... I mean, if PD was owned by EA they'd already be doing that ha

While not a subscription route, I do kinda think they could go the way of 'season passes' and put out a season pass for 2019, that's like £40 and gives you all the DLC and online stuff for that year... I mean, if PD was owned by EA they'd already be doing that ha
Plenty of company's, including Sony, use season passes. They don't come close to the model used by iRacing however in terms of revenue needed to stop publishing games and only provide an ongoing service.

If I recall correctly iRacing is $15 a month and $10 for each car or track you want as DLC

The average season pass is between $40 and $60, quite a difference as they provide a supplement to the income generated by the sale of a main release. If you remove the main releases from the picture then you have to make up that revenue somehow.

Plenty of company's, including Sony, use season passes. They don't come close to the model used by iRacing however in terms of revenue needed to stop publishing games and only provide an ongoing service.

If I recall correctly iRacing is $15 a month and $10 for each car or track you want as DLC

The average season pass is between $40 and $60, quite a difference as they provide a supplement to the income generated by the sale of a main release. If you remove the main releases from the picture then you have to make up that revenue somehow.

Oh yeah I agree, but iRacing is essentially a service, and GT Sport could easily move into that space, but instead of using a subscription, just have season passes.
I would imagine GT becomes a pretty easy sell for shareholders at Sony if they can produce a $60 product each year.

Oh yeah I agree, but iRacing is essentially a service, and GT Sport could easily move into that space, but instead of using a subscription, just have season passes.
iRacing effectively has both, which is needed for the upkeep of the servers, ongoing development of the core product and other overheads. The DLC costs then cover the development and licencing costs for the cars and tracks.

I would imagine GT becomes a pretty easy sell for shareholders at Sony if they can produce a $60 product each year.
That depends on how many of the $60 products they can sell a year and how much each one costs them to make.

Without a core product or an ongoing subscription cost you lose a massive amount of revenue, and ongoing server maintenance, overheads, licencing costs, etc are not cheap.

Hence the reason why 'service' products, either follow the subscription model for base content and paid for DLC or the 'free to play' model with paid for DLC and a massive amount of micro-transactions.

iRacing effectively has both, which is needed for the upkeep of the servers, ongoing development of the core product and other overheads. The DLC costs then cover the development and licencing costs for the cars and tracks.

That depends on how many of the $60 products they can sell a year and how much each one costs them to make.

Without a core product or an ongoing subscription cost you lose a massive amount of revenue, and ongoing server maintenance, overheads, licencing costs, etc are not cheap.

Hence the reason why 'service' products, either follow the subscription model for base content and paid for DLC or the 'free to play' model with paid for DLC and a massive amount of micro-transactions.

Yeah true, but with GT Sport, people are already having to pay for the server upkeep via PS+

To compare it to another 'service' game, Destiny seems to have worked pretty well. The base game (Destiny 1) was criticised for having little content, but they where still able to produce three (?) DLC packs and numerous patches.

If they can say, ok after 2018, we are doing yearly season passes, $60 for the year or $30 each and there will be 3 updates giving us new cars and tracks, that would be a big increase in return, potentially for the GT series, given that GT5 and 6 took almost a decade to produce and put out.

I don't see why they couldn't do something like Destiny is doing, tie it into the online FIA stuff...

Never. GT1-6 ended that era for GT.

I don't think that is really the case, if they support GT Sport with enough cars and tracks, by the next generation they should have enough decent assets to be able to improve them for the next generation of hardware. Granted it might not be the 1,500 cars of GT5, but if they could do 600-700 cars that would still be pretty good and a solid way for them to launch on new hardware.

@Scaff iRacing has a much smaller player base, from a quick Google there's probably about 1000 times less iRacing players than GT games sold worldwide over the life of the game. So GT could charge a lot less than iRacing to bring out new content.

@Scaff iRacing has a much smaller player base, from a quick Google there's probably about 1000 times less iRacing players than GT games sold worldwide over the life of the game. So GT could charge a lot less than iRacing to bring out new content.
It may be able to, but that's not for certain.

They have to manage much larger servers to account for more players, they have much higher overheads, they will almost certainly have much larger revenue expectations and they have a significantly larger shortfall to make up if they were to stop making a main title and move to a service only model.

Back