Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,255 comments
Huracan GT3 included as the "villain" car, but didn't enter service until 2016 season. Well after Jann's time in GTA and also the final year GTA operated, not the start.
The films being pitched as being current... hence the PS5's and GT7 branding.

The prototype crash+flip scene likely inspired by the 2012 crash between Toyota #8 and Ferrari #81 where Anthony Davidson suffered fractured vertabrae.
I do find myself wondering if there's going to be any take on Jann's own flip.

Fast and furious style filming with racecar storyline.
Now it will be about the spec racer style cars instead of a 2jz supra with a graphic and wing.
Movies like this cary over into car lifestyle.

I was skeptical, but I can see myself watching it, regardless of the above details.

Gonna take the blame for the inevitable lack of realism any movie based on racing is gonna have? 🤣
Was just about to say this. Very brave of @kart.no.38 to even say he's adjacent to this. As you can see here, the internet is wonderfully helpful..

I'm sure he's taking all the notes down for any future projects. Better get the correct year appropriate FIA spec lug nuts right next time! :lol:

As an almost-40 year old, I get I'm probably not the target audience for this trailer. That said, I was hoping the Gran Turismo movie was going to be something more grounded like Ford v. Ferrari or Rush; and instead it appears to be F&F on closed circuits. I also feel like they could have told this story of a gamer becoming a racer without doing the dumb stereotype of "all gamers are 98 pound weaklings" thing. (Especially when there's no shortage of pro athletes that play videogames now.)

Maybe the movie itself will actually be quite good, but this trailer definitely made me say "I'll wait and see what audiences think of it" rather than "Gotta see it opening weekend!"

Edit: And can I say how annoying the whole "Five Seconds of Trailer Before the Actual Trailer" trend is? Like are people's attention spans really that short nowadays? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
The inaccuracies of a movie thats supposed to be based on events during 2011 are incredibly jarring.

Didn't Kaz originally have a film studies degree?
Seeing that he did direct certain elements in this film, I'm curious to see how he handled it.

Unfortunately I am unable to share any details about the movie until the higher-ups give me permission. But I can say I have been involved since GT Planet published the announcement of Neill Blomkamp directing it. When I saw that post I cold-emailed him and he brought me onboard to help.

I was on set from day one but I haven't seen the edits.
That’s boss, well done 🙂

All I'm gonna say is... that's me. And it's been interesting reading the hot takes in this thread :)View attachment 1252925
I'll admit I am one of the bigger skeptics just because the idea of "Gran Turismo" being a movie with a narrative storyline is just a concept I never would have thought or imagined. To a degree, I still am not sure if a Gran Turismo as a film is necessarily what alot of people want (Certainly not more then Sony) so the overall success is still something I am abit skeptical about but maybe I'll be proven wrong. That fact that you are there does put some relief that at the very least the racing won't be entirely Hollywood as hell (Even the flip in the trailer, something that usually is beyond improbable, looks like it might be somewhat accurate. There's even a Ferrari involved, someone's been paying attention :lol:)
The inaccuracies of a movie thats supposed to be based on events during 2011 are incredibly jarring.
Gonna guess its "Loosely" based on said events, just set in the present instead of back in that exact timeline (Hence, Nissan and GT looking way more recent then back in around 2011). Kinda makes sense considering GT7 IS the current game.

Last edited:
I'm pleasantly surprised by the trailer, even though the trailer seems so comprehensive I'm not sure I need to bother watching the movie :lol:

@AudiMan2011 In terms of the anachronisms, I reckon that is understandable, though it would have been a really nice/clever touch to show what sim racing/GT etc. was like a decade ago - though I guess Kaz doesn't want to showcase the game and the technology from a decade ago - maybe if they had, the film would have to have been called 'Gran Turismo 5', but that might have made people wonder what happened to the first four films.

They could, however, make GT the first film franchise in movie history to have a non-linear numerical order to their films, i.e. the next one could be called 'GT4' and be a documentary about the early days of GT LANs...
GT4 movie trailer voiceover:
"...in a school.... in Newark, England... a group assembles... no-one knows who they were - or - what they were doin'..."

Last edited:
As an almost-40 year old, I get I'm probably not the target audience for this trailer. That said, I was hoping the Gran Turismo movie was going to be something more grounded like Ford v. Ferrari or Rush; and instead it appears to be F&F on closed circuits. I also feel like they could have told this story of a gamer becoming a racer without doing the dumb stereotype of "all gamers are 98 pound weaklings" thing. (Especially when there's no shortage of pro athletes that play videogames now.)

Maybe the movie itself will actually be quite good, but this trailer definitely made me say "I'll wait and see what audiences think of it" rather than "Gotta see it opening weekend!"

Edit: And can I say how annoying the whole "Five Seconds of Trailer Before the Actual Trailer" trend is? Like are people's attention spans really that short nowadays? 🤦‍♂️
It's based on a real story, I'd say it's fairly grounded as a premise, and you only have to go back and watch some of GT academy at the time to see why the finalists not being portrayed as a bunch of pro-athletes might not exactly be an unfair stereotype... no offence to any GTPers that were there :D

Technical and temporal inaccuracies aside, my biggest gripe with this is that is feels like a 90 minute ad. The only reason they move it to "present day" is because they want to sell you GT7, the PS5 and the latest model Nissan. I honestly think a Gran Turismo movie could work, maybe with another approach, but at this point I'm expecting some cool racing shots and not much else to be honest. Nothing wrong if you enjoyed it or were part of it, it's just an opinion, but yeah, really not digging this.

I loved watching GT Academy on Spike TV back in the day and there were many corny bits in the show along with the serious stuff so I'm fine with what was shown in the trailer if the main goal of the movie is to make a modern Cinematic version of GT Academy but I also remember things like the physical workouts and the borderline staged drama I kind of just tolerated and sometimes only stuck around for if an MXC rerun was coming on after the episode ended (I really miss MXC).
Really from the first time I was aware of the movie being about GT Academy and not something in Universe, my main excitement came from the chance of there being a new GT Academy, and maybe I was right to be excited?
Screenshot_20230502-163834_Browser.jpg

So strange to put so much effort into such a convincing UI just for a Movie.

I hope they ise the roulette wheel some how in the movie. Oh you passed a goal, here are two cars, an engine, the invitation you need to finish a menu and six gold coins. Let's spin the wheel and see what you get....

COINS!!!
I think people who want to see it should buy a roulette spin and see if they win an invitation.

For the folk that are super into Fast & Furious series this seems really enjoyable. I liked the first two F&F haven't seen any of the other ones, they kinda jumped the shark really fast for me.

I think it's a super neat story to be telling though and not one that any other game franchise can tell really. Nobody is inspired by Lara Croft to go hunt antiques and get a movie about themselves doing it. Nor is anyone joining up with US Special Forces based on Call of Duty but GT can tell this story.

As far as the movie itself goes I'll probably catch it if/when it comes to TV but it doesn't interest me enough to pay for it. I do however really like that it exists. It feels meaningful, especially as more and more Sim Racers get invites to participate in IRL racing and doing a decent job of it.

Latest Posts

Back