Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,255 comments
I think that's exactly why I think it looks awful - they all look like lifeless GT7 screensaver replays. The shot looking backwards in the rain was nice, and that was the one shot that didn't remind me of GT replays.

Directors have to be clever with choreographing racing or car chase scenes because they are always looking to depict scenarios that are bigger or riskier or faster than the stunts they are permitted or able to actually film.

So when you see wide shots that show everything so you can see stunt drivers just driving painfully slow like Gran Turismo AI it just looks incredibly unspectacular. And its an action scene, it's supposed to get the blood pumping, and what I'm seeing doesn't do that for me

Im hoping they have kept the best racing scenes for the movie but looking at this trailer I think this will be much worse than Ford vs Ferrari in every aspect.
This isn’t a trailer, we don’t even know if these shown scenes are from the actual movie.
Have you ever seen a movie by Neill Blomkamp? He is really clever when it comes to cinematography and he knows what good (and also intelligently made) action is.
No one can tell right now how the movie will turn out at the end, but so far I see more reason to be excited than to worry.

It's an almost unbelieveable story of a kid who won a competition playing racing games and ended up driving in the most famous race in the world
Indeed its something i wanted to achieve as well, but i realised i won't be able to so i followed Jann's career with more excitement than usual .
Because .
  1. If its all about Jann's career and how GT helped him, there are plenty of stuff (like clips from the official GT Academy channel) that will do a far better job of showing the exact same thing.
  2. As far as i could most of the cars/locations present are not (currently) part of the game the movie is based on, and none of them except 1 are cars that Jann actually drove.
  3. Jann won't be part of the movie .
I guess my point is that if they want to show his story i feel a documentary with him telling us about it and showing footage of him racing etc, would've been far better.

As for no Gran Turismo in it:
So this image shows exactly the same thing anyone could watch on a WT stream .
also more racing car movies the better , honestly this can't be worse than Sly's Driven/Formula 🤣
I haven't heard of this one but it looks like thats a good thing hahaha .

I guess my point is that if they want to show his story i feel a documentary with him telling us about it and showing footage of him racing etc, would've been far better.
Why do you believe it's exclusionary?
So this image shows exactly the same thing anyone could watch on a WT stream .
These are GT5/6 pods, from GT Academy, so not really.

But crucially they do show people playing Gran Turismo, so render your point that there was no Gran Turismo in the Gran Turismo movie trailer invalid.

I don't.
My bad .
But crucially they do show people playing Gran Turismo, so render your point that there was no Gran Turismo in the Gran Turismo movie trailer invalid.
You are correct let me fix that "All i got from the trailer is "we made a Gran Turismo movie with very little Gran Turismo in it" .

Why not?

It's an almost unbelieveable story of a kid who won a competition playing racing games and ended up driving in the most famous race in the world (though I think they're focussing on the LMP2 class podium and not the LMP1-H class... junker he drove) - except it's actually a thing that happened. I'm not sure how an actual story of a thing that really happened but sounds fictional doesn't make sense for a movie.

As for no Gran Turismo in it:

View attachment 1220822

🤷‍♂️
so the story isn't set in the late 2000s but in 2022/foward since that is GT7 on screen.

Then it seems odd to complain they're making a story-led drama out of the story instead of a documentary when a documentary is also possible with or without the dramatisation.

I'm still baffled by the first complaint that a story isn't suitable for a dramatisation, given that all dramas have stories written for them. This one's already real and the fact it's scarcely believeable adds into its suitability.

so the story isn't set in the late 2000s but in 2022/foward since that is GT7 on screen.
Given that half the cars we've seen didn't exist when Jann won GT Academy in 2011, there should be little doubt it's a "present-day" retelling. But yes, it is GT7 on the screens, in the GT Academy PS3 pods... :lol:

Then it seems odd to complain they're making a story-led drama out of the story instead of a documentary when a documentary is also possible with or without the dramatisation.
Very true. i wouldn't say im complaining but rather voice my confusion as to why they chose the movie format .
I'm still baffled by the first complaint that a story isn't suitable for a dramatisation, given that all dramas have stories written for them. This one's already real and the fact it's scarcely believeable adds into its suitability.
If the movie was called jann mardenborough from gamer to racer or something like that it would've been totally fine, but when its titled Gran Turismo with very little actual Gran Turismo in it , i struggle to see how it would work.

If the movie was called jann mardenborough from gamer to racer or something like that it would've been totally fine, but when its titled Gran Turismo with very little actual Gran Turismo in it , i struggle to see how it would work.
Didn't Jann Mardenborough play a lot of Gran Turismo to get to where he got to? So it's a fairly tangible link to the the storyline, regardless of whether or not you sit there and watch Gran Turismo footage on screen (which, to be honest, I'd not watch a movie for).

Didn't Jann Mardenborough play a lot of Gran Turismo to get to where he got to? So it's a fairly tangible link to the the storyline,
It would've been if Jann was the driver in the racing bits but he won't. But even if he would one character isen't enough imo. For example the Need for Speed movie didn't have a character from the games that people could relate to, but it had relevant cars included in the games of that period and the story/action/racing was something similar to an NFS game or at least something that would not seem out of place .

Last edited:
I'm embarrased to say that I'm a bit intrigued with this after seeing those race scenes. The cinematography at least looks great.
Your new prof pic is- 🤣🤣

So, this movie will be released in August?
We've seen finals, game of the year award, 25th anniversary celebrations, and I will be able to watch it at IMAX this summer.

Be nice if they could fix issues that have been around since what, release?

orca-image--835174180.jpeg

The theater should be maxed at 16 people and be "pc" (popcorn) restricted to 700 pc.
The screenplay should stutter, and theater should "close lobby" before movie ends.

"The real gt7 experience"

Last edited:
As long as the race scenes have excellent camera work and sound editing as they promise in the trailer, i can ignore the absolute cringe fest that the story will be

It would've been if Jann was the driver in the racing bits but he won't. But even if he would one character isen't enough imo. For example the Need for Speed movie didn't have a character from the games that people could relate to, but it had relevant cars included in the games of that period and the story/action/racing was something similar to an NFS game or at least something that would not seem out of place .
It's a dramatization of a true story. It's close enough to have the title Gran Turismo...

Is our interview of Jann at Silverstone going to be included?

Is our interview of Jann at Silverstone going to be included?
I don't think they could handle us.

Since Silverstone is apparently getting a stunt double in the Hungaroring, they'll probably get stunt doubles in for us too...

This isn’t a trailer, we don’t even know if these shown scenes are from the actual movie.
Have you ever seen a movie by Neill Blomkamp? He is really clever when it comes to cinematography and he knows what good (and also intelligently made) action is.
No one can tell right now how the movie will turn out at the end, but so far I see more reason to be excited than to worry.
They chose to release this content to build hype around it. It's in their interests to show something representative of the final product or show nothing at all, so I have to take it at face value here.

I feel they had to show something. How many non-gamers watched the presentation? It’s not like YouTubers would have gotten millions of views from Passersby, about leaks of the film. It’s not a Spider-Man movie. So, showing a teaser, before the Actual trailers start popping up, makes sense. Nowwww YouTubers have some official footage to drum up buzz about the movie.

I’m not searching any of the actors’ feeds to see how far along the movie is. I guess Sony are pretty much controlling their media for this.

The racing footage looks pretty good, reminds me of the camera angles from the game intros. However...

Aight, I'm gonna say it. Hope we can keep it civil. When they show the actor the text says he's playing Jann Mardenborough, not someone "based on him".

If that's the case, getting a white actor to play him is not the most tasteful thing ever. It's not even changing some fictional character, it's someone who's real and still alive, and is not famous enough in mainstream culture for most moviegoers to notice it. Anyways here's the leaked poster:

nkycn57sb4t81.jpg

Aight, I'm gonna say it. Hope we can keep it civil. When they show the actor the text says he's playing Jann Mardenborough, not someone "based on him".

If that's the case, getting a white actor to play him is not the most tasteful thing ever. It's not even changing some fictional character, it's someone who's real and still alive, and is not famous enough in mainstream culture for most moviegoers to notice it
Where have you got the idea that Archie Madekwe is white?
1673101083752.png

Last edited:
If that's the case, getting a white actor to play him is not the most tasteful thing ever. It's not even changing some fictional character, it's someone who's real and still alive, and is not famous enough in mainstream culture for most moviegoers to notice it.
As an actual black person, explain to me how Archie Madekwe is White. Just because he doesn't match my exact darker shade does not make him white.

cxE03EAg_400x400.jpg

Looks like a very much an identical shade to Jann as far as I can tell. Not even remotely sure how you came to the conclusion you have.

Last edited:
Both Madekwe and Mardenborough are mixed-race too.

I don't know if Jann's mum's name is common knowledge, so I won't share it, but she's white British (and played by Geri Halliwell!) while his dad Steve - famous footballer for Wolves - is black British (and played by Djimon Hounsou) born in Birmingham. Jann was born in Darlington, where his dad was playing at the time, but grew up in south Wales as his dad moved to Cardiff; he classes himself as Welsh.

Madekwe is an Igbo name, and he's one-quarter Nigerian (his father is I think Swiss-born to a Nigerian father and Swiss mother, while his mother is white British as far as I can tell) and London-born.

Both Madekwe and Mardenborough are mixed-race too.

I don't know if Jann's mum's name is common knowledge, so I won't share it, but she's white British (and played by Geri Halliwell!) while his dad Steve - famous footballer for Wolves - is black British (and played by Djimon Hounsou) born in Birmingham. Jann was born in Darlington, where his dad was playing at the time, but grew up in south Wales as his dad moved to Cardiff; he classes himself as Welsh.

Madekwe is an Igbo name, and he's one-quarter Nigerian (his father is I think Swiss-born to a Nigerian father and Swiss mother, while his mother is white British as far as I can tell) and London-born.
Thanks for the explanation, seems like a good choice for the role! Next time I'll use that "Google" thing before a hot take.

🥵 HOT TAKE ALERT 🔥

The film looks like most of it will be ass, Driven-level bad, but at least the racing footage will be superb.

A spiritual successor (suck-cessor?) to Grand Prix, perhaps.

I'm looking forward to the racing footage, and of course all the cross-promotional marketing funnel synergy of Sony brands!! Let's goooo! 🙃

Last edited:
I probably won't watch. But the only information that interests me about the circumstances of this film is whether the Hungaroring (film set) will appear in GT7. If Sony were able to access the racetrack's facilities to film, I wonder what would stop them from licensing the track for the game.

Last edited:

Back